Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? (10323 Views)

kite-flyers: When Was The Last Time You Saw This In Your Area? / When Was The Last Time You Cried And What Happened? / Help On How To Recharge A Generator Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Garrithe1st: 5:07pm On Jun 10, 2013
Wetin concern me and Gen??

Mtscheeewww!!!

angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Jarus(m): 5:25pm On Jun 10, 2013
2010, but it's already giving me sign of replacement. Likely to be changed within the next couple of months.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Starlett: 5:34pm On Jun 10, 2013
April this year. A 2.5 kva gen to replace the last one I had just given out. So I have two now, 2.5kva and 5.5 kva
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Charlesedet25(m): 5:40pm On Jun 10, 2013
konn: never bought one phcn is my best friend
where is ur area Cos we and phcn don't communicate all
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by ogb5(m): 6:05pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju:

I have backed it up with a 15kva inverter.. Only problem is I bought the inverter second hand from a family friend who was relocating abroad.. The darn thing does not even last. Can't carry a single 1.5 horsepower AC and a single fridge for up to 1:30 mins before it runs flat. Now my next mission is to save up, sell this one off and replace it with a brand new solar powered 20kva inverter.. That should solidly cover all my electricity problem. Although I must confess sha, NEPA for my area dey para of late.. From 6pm in the evening till 10am in the morning, you barely suffer up to 3hrs of no light cumulative.

good that you have an inverter in your plans.

sorry to hear that your inverter charge does not last long. from the little you have said, your inverter is ok just that the batteries are going bad. you need to change the batteries, remember to buy deep cycle batteries and do not allow them batteries to be flat before charging them, that's the quickest way a destroying even the best battery in the market.

When am relocating back to Nigeria, am coming armed with adequate solar panels and inverters to power a small estate, never going into generator business again.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Temptee101(m): 6:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
Op, I just dey price one nw sef
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by WinkWrld: 7:37pm On Jun 10, 2013
Why buy generators? Great offer on inverter and batteries sales.. various brands and various capacity. Flexible payment option available for 5kva above. Hurry while offer lasts. Waranty and after sales customr service available. prices very attractive. Call Jerry now on 07035088283. Also payment plan for corporate workers(bankers,IT,Telecomms,Oil and gas)etc
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Godson201333(m): 8:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju: I just purchased a 20kva Cummins gen last month for 1.6m (plus commisioning) for my main home.

Will be purchasing another 5kva by July ending for my annex home.

Save money and purchase a big diesel generator.. They last longer than fuel generators and require less servicing.

You mean with OKIJA JUJU money?
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Godson201333(m): 8:11pm On Jun 10, 2013
Shalomé: I no dey buy Gen,na strictly Candle thingz

Your own better pass me wey still dey use atupa,trying to upgrade to lantern.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Okijajuju: 8:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
ogb5:

good that you have an inverter in your plans.

sorry to hear that your inverter charge does not last long. from the little you have said, your inverter is ok just that the batteries are going bad. you need to change the batteries, remember to buy deep cycle batteries and do not allow them batteries to be flat before charging them, that's the quickest way a destroying even the best battery in the market.

When am relocating back to Nigeria, am coming armed with adequate solar panels and inverters to power a small estate, never going into generator business again.

[b]The inverter uses 15 batteries at the moment. I learnt I could double them and connect them in series /parallel.. Don't know the technicalities of it but understand what he was saying.. The present cost of inverter batteries in Nigeria is 50'k a piece.. Deep cycle batteries huh? What are they? D we have different types of batteries? I have no idea about these things. I guess I will set up a savings fund towards replacing the batteries... Is it also possible that the inverter isn't sending enough charge to the batteries? I noticed that the battery indicator charges rather fast and drains just as fast.. And also, between solar and electric source inverters, which is better and why? Right now on the very bad NEPA days, I charge the inverter with the generator and run it. When it drains, i just repeat the cycle. But with solar, if the battery drains at night, na till morning before I fit charge am again.. If you can give me the pros and consof both types of inverters, then I would be able to make a more informed decision on my next line of action.[/b]
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Okijajuju: 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2013
Godson201333:

You mean with OKIJA JUJU money?

Lol... Okija juju money no be counterfeit and that's all that matters ...

If you dey interested, come make I do for you. grin
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Policewoman(f): 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju:

Lol.

Funny enuff when the company came to do a load assessment on my house, they suggested a 27 - 33kva gen.. Nna men! I shout na. So I settled for the 20 kva.. The motivation to buy the Generator was longevity. Now I know that over the next 4 - 6 years, I no go get any major headache with generator. Simply service it every 5000 hours and you will be fine. You fit run her for 48hours non stop and your mind no go cut say e go spoil from over working..

The only downside to big generators na the price of Diesel..

But thank God for Asari refineries Nig limited.. grin
So you follow for those wey dey buy condescate? Lol.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
lukaino: How often do you buy generators?
I am buying generators almost on a yearly basis. It has alway been the "i better pass my neighbour" i got a 2kva last year and i am hoping it will last for sometime. though my usage is very high as PHCN does what they know best. Looking forward to that day we would not need these in Nigeria

My SUMEC FIRMAN 2500 of 2009 is still functioning as i type. How is your maintenance culture like

Anyway ''i pass my neighbour'' isnt a generator.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju: I just purchased a 20kva Cummins gen last month for 1.6m (plus commisioning) for my main home.

Will be purchasing another 5kva by July ending for my annex home.

Save money and purchase a big diesel generator.. They last longer than fuel generators and require less servicing.

Okay, i go start saving N1.6m today for diesel gen... Make una dey put am in prayers...
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 10, 2013
ilugunboy:

Which ones are not fuel generator? tongue heheeeheeee .....

He means PMS. Save him some breath...
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
darella: With an initial down payment of 50k get a 2.4KVA 12V Inverter + 2x12V 200AH battery ┄installed n payback d rest in 3months
Call 08028051535, 08097705307, darella82@yahoo.com for details.

No dey use dis kind talk deceive people for here.. Who has money to throw away
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jun 10, 2013
ogb5:

Buying big diesel generator is not the problem, fueling it is the main issue,

Give it six months you will be singing a different song on how you spend a good part of your income on diesel

I use to have 30kva, 15kva diesel generators together with 5kva, 2kva and 1kva Petrol generators.

That was long ago

So what is the story now
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Godson201333(m): 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju:

Lol... Okija juju money no be counterfeit and that's all that matters ...

If you dey interested, come make I do for you. grin

I fear oo LOL
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2013
WinkWrld: Why buy generators? Great offer on inverter and batteries sales.. various brands and various capacity. Flexible payment option available for 5kva above. Hurry while offer lasts. Waranty and after sales customr service available. prices very attractive. Call Jerry now on 07035088283. Also payment plan for corporate workers(bankers,IT,Telecomms,Oil and gas)etc

Nawa for some people. What charges an inverter if not a generator or PHCN Are you arming us with a pre-charged inverter and battery set up that lasts 5 years to discharge
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Administrator: 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2013
Please, I want to buy a generator that can power my freezer, washing machine and TV set.

Kindly advice me on what to buy that's affordable and durable.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
Administrator: Please, I want to buy a generator that can power my freezer, washing machine and TV set.

Kindly advice me on what to buy that's affordable and durable.

SUMEC FIRMAN PMS powered generator from 6500 to 10000 series.. Will serve you.

The only heavy equipment you got there is your washing machine. A 2800 can power your freezer, tv and lightings..
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by ogb5(m): 10:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
Okija juju:

[b]The inverter uses 15 batteries at the moment. I learnt I could double them and connect them in series /parallel.. Don't know the technicalities of it but understand what he was saying.. The present cost of inverter batteries in Nigeria is 50'k a piece.. Deep cycle batteries huh? What are they? D we have different types of batteries? I have no idea about these things. I guess I will set up a savings fund towards replacing the batteries... Is it also possible that the inverter isn't sending enough charge to the batteries? I noticed that the battery indicator charges rather fast and drains just as fast.. And also, between solar and electric source inverters, which is better and why? Right now on the very bad NEPA days, I charge the inverter with the generator and run it. When it drains, i just repeat the cycle. But with solar, if the battery drains at night, na till morning before I fit charge am again.. If you can give me the pros and consof both types of inverters, then I would be able to make a more informed decision on my next line of action.[/b]

How to connect the batteries depends on the input voltage of the inverter, for a 12v inverter you will need to connect all the batteries in series to ensure that only 12 volts is supplied to the inverter.

For a 180 volt inverter, you will need to connect all the 15 batteries in parallel to give a voltage of 180 volts at the end of the battery bank.

Deep cycle batteries are just like normal lead acid batteries used in cars, the difference between it and normal batteries is that deep cycle batteries are designed to withstand drawdown of 50 to 80 percent of it's charge before charging the batteries without the batteries being damaged. Normal batteries are only designed to give very high current for a short time and then charged.

On the issue of the better inverter, it depends on what you intend to do with it. Solar inverters are normally matched to the capacity of the solar panels it will be connected to. So generally solar inverters tends to be of lower charging capacity than those that are designed to be connected to the mains.

Personally I don't recommend changing with the inverter if you intend to be using a lot of power. Better to get a dedicated battery charger for charging the batteries. You routinely see inverters with 50amps charging capacity. That is the equivalent of charging at 600 watts. If you intend to use 3000 watts load that means you have to charge for 5 hours to be able to get enough power in the batteries to last for 1hour.

With respect to the type of inverter to buy, I still believe your problem is with the batteries not the inverter.

The inverter carries the load just that there not enough power stored in the batteries. The batteries charges fast and also drains fast because the batteries are already bad.
Note that even deep cycle batteries are designed to last about 3 years with good management. Poor management like discharging them too deep or leaving them in the discharged state or overcharging them can reduce their lifespan considerably.

If you have the money buy inverters with pure sine wave output, they are more expensive than the common modified sine inverters, but their output is just like the public power supply and works best with all appliances.

With modified sine wave inverters you lose about 20 percent of the efficiency of electric motors present in fans, acc and the like. In many cases solar inverters are pure sine wave inverters, you need to check though before buying

1 Like

Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by MiloRambaldi(m): 10:32pm On Jun 10, 2013
I've banished gens from my life for good. Last one I had was a Kippor inverter generator some 3 years ago - silent thing, but expensive to maintain. But now, where I live must be serviced with 24hr power. Life is too short to keep dealing with gen wahala.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by ogb5(m): 10:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
okpara ugo:

So what is the story now

The story is that "do not plan to buy a biiiigggg diesel generator if you do not plan to spend laaaarge amount of money to fuel it monthly."

Comprehend now?
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Lobolintin(m): 12:01am On Jun 11, 2013
who put dis for front page
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by teamman(m): 3:35am On Jun 11, 2013
As the other poster said, there is nothing wrong with your inverter. All you need to change are the batteries.You can change the batteries and add solar panels to the existing system you have on ground.where you source your batteries from is also important.Please dont buy another inverter.You dont need to buy a solar inverter once its confirmed that your inverter is pure sine wave. If you dont mind l can check the inverter system for you at no cost and under no obligation to purchase or buy anything from me. A system diagnosis can actually save you alot of money and stress. for security reasons if you need to check me out, respond.
Okija juju:

Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Revolva(m): 5:31am On Jun 11, 2013
lukaino: How often do you buy generators?
I am buying generators almost on a yearly basis. It has alway been the "i better pass my neighbour" i got a 2kva last year and i am hoping it will last for sometime. though my usage is very high as PHCN does what they know best. Looking forward to that day we would not need these in Nigeria

Oga na every year u dey buy Generator like say na foood...kai omo u dey lie...well me sef dey buy every month na so e full my back yard
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Okijajuju: 7:40am On Jun 11, 2013
teamman: As the other poster said, there is nothing wrong with your inverter. All you need to change are the batteries.You can change the batteries and add solar panels to the existing system you have on ground.where you source your batteries from is also important.Please dont buy another inverter.You dont need to buy a solar inverter once its confirmed that your inverter is pure sine wave. If you dont mind l can check the inverter system for you at no cost and under no obligation to purchase or buy anything from me. A system diagnosis can actually save you alot of money and stress. for security reasons if you need to check me out, respond.

Hi, thanks for the offer. I'm currently working out of Lagos and my inverter system is in port-harcourt. Do you have an operation in Port-Harcourt? Let me know and we can maybe do business.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 11, 2013
NeVer cheesy
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Josh316(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2013
Okija juju:

Lol.

Funny enuff when the company came to do a load assessment on my house, they suggested a 27 - 33kva gen.. Nna men! I shout na. So I settled for the 20 kva.. The motivation to buy the Generator was longevity. Now I know that over the next 4 - 6 years, I no go get any major headache with generator. Simply service it every 5000 hours and you will be fine. You fit run her for 48hours non stop and your mind no go cut say e go spoil from over working..

The only downside to big generators na the price of Diesel..

But thank God for Asari refineries Nig limited.. grin

Bros, do you know what you are saying? Service ever 5000 hours ke? That gen will NOT last 1000hrs b4 it shuts down assuming its a computerised gen. Service is advised at least every 250-350 hours. With moderate use, 5000 hours is equivalent to 3years of use.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by Lanceslot(m): 9:23am On Jun 11, 2013
Oh! You just reminded me that I have a generator, constant power supply has made to forgot that I had 1.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? by tonididdy(m): 9:40am On Jun 11, 2013
Okija juju:

I have backed it up with a 15kva inverter.. Only problem is I bought the inverter second hand from a family friend who was relocating abroad.. The darn thing does not even last. Can't carry a single 1.5 horsepower AC and a single fridge for up to 1:30 mins before it runs flat. Now my next mission is to save up, sell this one off and replace it with a brand new solar powered 20kva inverter.. That should solidly cover all my electricity problem. Although I must confess sha, NEPA for my area dey para of late.. From 6pm in the evening till 10am in the morning, you barely suffer up to 3hrs of no light cumulative.
mehn youe juju bizness dey pay oh...maybe we could do buisness together.I DEAL IN "spare parts"...*winks*,you know wazsup na....*winks again*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Turns Woman: Was Mr Dapo Adaralegbe, Now Ms Stephanie Adaralegbe / (38) Pictures Of Insanely Flexible Women Across The World / Happy New Year Nairalanders!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.