Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? (25364 Views)

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 12:27am On Apr 29, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. I smell inferiority complex on the side of those at home here!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:49am On Apr 29, 2015
Thanks to all who contributed. Some submissions here are really funny. On the side of our compatriots abroad, I understand that one gets exposed to diverse cultures abroad. Good thing it is, but never forget you can never ever be more catholic than the Pope! Being exposed to different cultures can make or mar one, depending on which side of the psychological divide they swing. So it's not just all about being exposed but being exposed within the right tenets of socialization. Surmising from a psychological standpoint, I posit that PEOPLE WHO MAKE OTHERS FEEL DOWN HVE A DEFICIENCY THEY SEEK TO APPEASE.

To my fellow residents in Naija, forget all the façade some sorry folks throw in your face. Live your life. Appreciate those humble folks who have travelled around. Of a truth it makes the soul better equipped but ignore those who seek to wear you down through no fault of yours. Lotsa them envy your freedom. That we are not permanently based abroad doesn't make us lesser breeds, we just love our freedom more...... No place like home.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Excuzeme: 2:03am On Apr 29, 2015
McStoic:
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed

Ignorance na disease!

First, that person abroad may be the "head" of the family as in the eldest, what is wrong in "differing" to elders in the family, whether they are home or abroad? Respect for elders, as you know, is an African culture.

Concerning the Landlord, do you not know there is a "direct correlation" between the number of people in a house, and the resources that the Landlord is supposed to provide for his Tenant?

You think everywhere must be overcrowded and you people will start shitting about the compound? grin grin grin

In civilized societies, you and all your siblings just dont hop on the next luxurious bus to Lagos ....simply because your brother has informed you he rented a one room apartment!

As for the "abroad people" forming superiority complex, it is only "imagined' in your own brain because people liek you already have this "inferiority complex and beefing" ingrained inside you.

Relax and take a Chill, nobody worry you, nobody send you.... just be real Nigga.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by igbo2011(m): 4:10am On Apr 29, 2015
Self hate low self esteem inferiority complex stockholm syndrome

Also capitalism money has power.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 29, 2015
Dont say that.what makes you think it applied to everyone
Mogidi:

How does washing plates overseas and doing prostitution count as smart?
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Ewuro4: 7:49am On Apr 29, 2015
NA inferiority complex dey worry una. Grow a pair , they aren't any better than you. FACT.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Ewuro4: 7:57am On Apr 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
If anything, i think it's because those at home have inferiority complex and feel they have to hear from the guy that lives abroad before they go ahead with an action

They will release their gratuity/life savings to a financially deprived expatriate than submit straight forward documents to an embassy. And if you try and explain, they won't listen till they regret it. I'm tired.

Inferiority complex at its peak, it's exhausting. undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 8:46am On Apr 29, 2015
rexisfree:
Hahahahahahaha laugh want kill me. My dear I live in italy but I come home every month. I can tell u that there is nothing special about us in abroad. Most of Nigerian in Europe are beggers. I thank God for my life. I was able to involve my self in a good business. I make my real money in Nigeria. Nigeria is the best place to make money in the world

Who cares if u come home everyday & wot gives u d impression dat most Nigerians abroad r beggers or shud I take dat as a misuse of english--nonsense ! U were able to involve ursef in gud biz, may I ask wot sort of biz u do dat really affords u monthly trips to 9ja or shud I also take it dat u r probably involved in dodgy biz?--f.uck it !

Wotz real or special abt d buckz u make in 9ja?

Empty barrel makes d....finish d sentence pls. undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 8:55am On Apr 29, 2015
bettercreature:
There is no way a guy living abroad will not be smarter than guys at home
high level of competition among Nigerians abroad(am gonna make it first)
you have to be smart because you dont have family(you are on your own)
Immigration problem,....you have to be very smart to avoid this,am gonna get paper first,arrangee things,using someone else passport to go outside
Sugar mummy things
If you no get pali and you get sick,you are on your own
if you no get pali and you see police you no run,you are on your on
A situation where person wey help you get job go dey demand for 30 percent
money and money and money things
apartment things and bill things
you just have to be smarter,remember mama will only welcome a kid who brought cash home
YOU GO PAY PERCENTAGE DIE if you dey abroad

Gud to be LEGIT abroad & u wouldn't av to pay percentage to some heartless f.uckerz--- my 2kobo
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by JediB(f): 9:15am On Apr 29, 2015
Tbh,there are elements of fact in both groups,that is those who live abroad and those who live at home. I remember, months ago, I had to do business in Nigeria, now having been abroad for years,I struggled with many things, how things work, how people think, the heat and so on. Glad to not have to wear a jacket or thermals,I would hop around with my tees and jeans, try to remain local by brandishing my pidgin, and just muster all the "Nigerianess' I could remember. I was soon to find out, as much as you try, you can't hide where you have been. This is Nigeria, the average 'mekunnu' can smell foreign from 10feet away. Perception is reality in Nigeria,how you are perceived determines what you get. Those abroad are perceived in a certain way, if you live up to the perception, then the 'Twales' for some who aspire to live abroad someday, are in order; but for those who don't hold such aspirations, perhaps after many unsuccessful attempts, the animosity is apalling.
Beyond the status of where anyone lives,is the reality that Nigerians generally, have a high recognition for perceived material advantage. Nigerians would readily give preferential treatment to any Joe Blogg: with nothing upstairs but rides a high value automobile; a receptionist,driver in shell, chevron big ups, just due to perceived 'Levels'; anyone who fakes a foreign accent learnt from BGT even without ever applying to an embassy;
Its just the way Nigerians are; even out here,Nigerians create distinctions amongst themselves, I mean, those without papers, are persona non grata to those who have; and those who have readily flaunt it and want to be ascribed certain rights; It is just the way people are, and as usual over pronounced in Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by hahn(m): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2015
Mogidi:

How does washing plates overseas and doing prostitution count as smart?

Touche!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 1:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
Excuzeme:

Ignorance na disease!

First, that person abroad may be the "head" of the family as in the eldest, what is wrong in "differing" to elders in the family, whether they are home or abroad? Respect for elders, as you know, is an African culture.

Concerning the Landlord, do you not know there is a "direct correlation" between the number of people in a house, and the resources that the Landlord is supposed to provide for his Tenant?

You think everywhere must be overcrowded and you people will start shitting about the compound? grin grin grin

In civilized societies, you and all your siblings just dont hop on the next luxurious bus to Lagos ....simply because your brother has informed you he rented a one room apartment!

As for the "abroad people" forming superiority complex, it is only "imagined' in your own brain because people liek you already have this "inferiority complex and beefing" ingrained inside you.

Relax and take a Chill, nobody worry you, nobody send you.... just be real Nigga.
E pain am gaann! Oya,....easy boy. Stop being too fast and learn to read and comprehend next time before cluttering things up. Your comments are neither here nor there. If you wanna beef, try next door and if you wanna contribute to the issue at hand, then do it reasonably. Hyperventilating over this little matter cannot change how these sincere observations affect you in the real world. Take care.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by GoodFaith: 1:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
pleep:
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

dude... do you realize that as a landlord your property depreciates ( looses value) faster the more people are living in it? That stipulation is there so that his tenants don't flood his property with permanent "visitors" who aren't paying him. Hospitality be damned business is business.

You should let more capable people make the important decisions.

There are likely to be more damages and repairs that will cost you money
More people more problem
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Cavenchy(m): 3:25pm On Apr 30, 2015
I see this thread is slightly derailed into a home vs diaspora war. We have to admit that our beloved country Nigeria needs to be fixed in many ways. The current state of things in Nigeria has its advantages and disadvantages. There are not a lot of benefits for those who live in rural settlements. A massive desire to live better lives has seen the massive migration into cities were there is a slightest beam of hope/tendency to become rich. This is the reason you find one brother accomodating his relatives well over the capacity the property was intended for. This same tendency to live better lives is the reason many Nigerians travel abroad in search of greener fields.

Live abroad or live in Nigeria. One thing is common among Nigerians, the search for a better life. So there should be no disparity between superiority or inferiority amongst Nigerians home or abroad. If your grandma in the rural settlement seeks advice from you in the City its not cos she feels inferior its cos she is doing what an elder should. Seek advice from all (to get all possible dimensions to the matter at hand) before making a decision. In the OP's case the decision is bound to affect those family members abroad and it is only right their opinion is sought before the decision is taken.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.