Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,148 members, 7,835,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? (995 Views)

Who Are Romance Section Moderator? / Why Are Romance Section Moderators Selective Of Banning / Was She Cheating Or A "Harmless" Chat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by quadrant4: 8:37am On May 06, 2008
“READING romances is an escape,” said one avid reader. “Losing myself in a romance refreshes me, makes me better able to face my own problems.” Her comments are rather typical of those who regularly devour romance novels.

Some claim that the stories are an effective stress tonic. Youths view them as a harmless peek at adult pleasures. And for some they are a way to add excitement to a drab existence. Since the novels are generally short and inexpensive, reading them has become an addictive habit for millions. Rivaling the audience for most popular television shows, 20 million in the United States alone are estimated to be readers. And young people number prominently among this total. But should you read them? Pls i need your views.
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by Eclairs: 10:50am On May 06, 2008
Wld fink it cld pollute the mind,

Only matured minds shd read them
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by janami(f): 11:32am On May 06, 2008
Tends to put some unrealistic ideas into one's head. I guess it just for the matured mind
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by frank316(m): 5:17pm On May 06, 2008
romantic novels teach you how to live your life but not how to use your brain
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by iice(f): 5:22pm On May 06, 2008
If your brain can pick out what is useful, sure it's harmless. But that is not a sure thing
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by welli(f): 5:30pm On May 06, 2008
i see no harm in it.i'm sure ma life would be 60% boring witout it
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 06, 2008
a day wtout reading one of them romantic novel is like im going to die,its an addiction already,i even read it wen im working,sometimes wen im cooking too,i dont see any crime in reading it
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by ztyle(m): 6:06pm On May 06, 2008
Romantic Novel, as far as i'm concern its my daily dose.
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by jaymes(m): 9:40pm On May 06, 2008
yeah! its for all you day dreaming boring ass singles! imagine all y'all do is READ! if you want a REAL adventure, i think you should go out and have some fun flirting with REAL chicks! its like a breath of fresh air! enough adrenaline rush to the head! wink you should try some time, it doesn't hurt! grin grin
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 06, 2008
@jaymes

watever tongue tongue
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by jonjon(f): 9:47pm On May 06, 2008
They lack substance, make you unrealistic and you have problems forming genuine relationships. When I discovered how stupid they were, I tore up my collection. I'd advise anyone to do the same. Read non fiction or books on money making instead.
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by HRhotness(f): 9:55pm On May 06, 2008
quadrant4:

“READING romances is an escape,” said one avid reader. “Losing myself in a romance refreshes me, makes me better able to face my own problems.” Her comments are rather typical of those who regularly devour romance novels.

I used to read alot of romance novels as an escape as well,,,
I learnt from an early age that happy endings rarely happened in real life,,, so I used to pretend to beleieve and loose myself in it,,,
doesnt work anymore tho,,, I've learnt to accept reality and to stop running away from it

frankly i find it quite harmless, afterall it didnt cause me any harm
It only becomes a problem when the person reading it chooses to base their life's decisons on its ideas
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by tRoOE(f): 5:08am On May 07, 2008
jennykadry:

a day wtout reading one of them romantic novel is like im going to die,its an addiction already,i even read it when im working,sometimes when im cooking too,i don't see any crime in reading it
Lmfao i thought I was the only one that does that, some time I take it into the restroom, reading while walking on the street. Some dayz i would stay up still 6am to finish the book
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by acidrop(f): 5:12am On May 07, 2008
romance novels are knowledgeable
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by quadrant4: 7:12am On May 07, 2008
Understandably, such stories have appeal. But referring to “Gothic-style” romance novels, one writer objects: “The basic premise of these . . . stories is that a good man is hard to detect . . . and the man who had seemed above suspicion . . . is the villain.” The heroine interprets the calloused, inscrutable demeanor of the hero thusly: “If my man treats me badly, that’s because he’s masculine, not because he’s bad.” Or, “Men may appear moody, cynical, scornful, and bullying, but they nevertheless provide romance and excitement.”

Could accepting such fanciful notions cloud your vision of the important qualities necessary for a successful, enduring marriage? Bonnie, who started reading romance novels at age 16, recalls: “I looked for the young man that was tall, dark and handsome; one that was exciting, with a domineering personality.” She confessed: “If I dated a young man and he didn’t want to kiss and touch, he was dull, even though he was considerate and kind. I wanted the excitement I’d read about in the novels.” It is therefore easy to see how reading these stories could result in one’s becoming infatuated with a person most undesirable as a marriage mate. A desire for “excitement” could cloak what this person really is at heart
Re: Are Romance Novels Harmless Reading? by quadrant4: 7:22am On May 07, 2008
But what if you would really like to know the girl better? If that is the case, you should realize that dating and romance are not just ways to have a good time. The powerful feelings that a dating couple develop for each other point them to a commitment in marriage. After they marry, those feelings help to bond them together as husband and wife. How might this knowledge affect you now?

After thinking about this young lady, you may realize that she is attractive in a number of ways. She has opened the door, and you would like to keep it open. But instead of charging headlong into courtship, take steps now to protect the two of you from grievous pain later on.

(1) (Reply)

He Boss Answered Her Calls / Love Can Be Define As: / How Can A Girl Win A Guys Heart For Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.