Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

Living The Fasted Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Living The Fasted Life (8330 Views)

Have You Ever Fasted Before? (my Experience) / Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living The Fasted Life by sidespin: 1:16pm On Jun 13, 2013
The Fasted Life
When I first went out in the field ministry, I set aside two days a week—Tuesday and Thursday—for my fast days. I wasn't led of the Lord to do it; I just fasted two days a week. I fasted 24 hours, because that was the way Israel did it. I took the extra time that I would have been eating to pray. Remember, fasting will not do you much good if you're not going to spend extra time praying, waiting on God. I made the greatest spiritual strides yet in my ministry during that time of fasting two days a week. I shut myself up in my church and spent many hours praying. I said to my wife, "I know when we eat. If I don't come out to eat, don't send the children after me. You'll know I'm going to skip that meal." I did quite a bit of fasting. I also did quite a bit of praying, and I spent that extra time in the Word of God. And often—because the church was next door—I got up and went over in the night to pray while everyone else was asleep. One night I prayed all night long. Many nights I prayed nearly all night long. I spent time fellowshipping with God, waiting on Him, walking up and down the aisles praying. (There was enough light from the streetlight shining through the windows that I didn't have to turn the lights on.) It wasn't just the fasting; it was the extra time I took to wait on God and spend time in His Word that did something for me spiritually. Fasting will help keep the flesh under and make you more sensitive to the Holy Spirit. Singers know this principle. If they eat a big meal and try to come out and sing, they are bogged down. Preachers know that. That's the reason we don't like to eat before we preach. If we do, we find we are uncomfortable and not so spiritually sensitive. After several years of fasting two days a week, the Lord said to me, "I would be more pleased if you would live a fasted life. I said, "What do you mean, a fasted life?" He said, “Never eat all you want. Keep your appetite under. That's all a fast is going to do anyway, keep the body under.” Do you know that is harder than fasting? I changed. I never had any more days of fasting. I never set any times of fasting unless the Spirit of God spoke to me. And I made greater spiritual strides living the fasted life. Much of the time I ate only one meal a day while I was in meetings. (I still do that much of the time.) I noticed that healings came more easily when I did this. When it came to laying hands on people to receive the Holy Spirit, I wouldn't eat at all. If we'd run into a hard spot and things weren't happening like I thought they should, I'd fast by drinking a little juice. If I needed more strength physically, I'd start eating, but I never ate all I wanted. I started having more results because I more or less constantly lived the fasted life. One time I went to Kansas City to hold a meeting. When I got there, the pastor said, "Brother Hagin, something has arisen and I've got to be out of town part of this week. You go ahead and run the meeting to suit you and I'll be back toward the end of the week." I preached Sunday night. Monday morning we had a Bible lesson at 10 a.m. Monday night I preached. Tuesday morning I preached (I usually carried two services a day). Tuesday night I preached. This was the third day. One of the deacons said to me, "Brother Hagin, how do you like the restaurant at the motel?" I stopped and said, "You know what? I never thought about it. I haven't eaten since I've been here. I forgot it." Then I said, "That restaurant is closed down. There is a sign there that says 'Closed.'" He said, "Oh, we intended for you to eat there. What have you been doing about eating?" I said, "I never thought about eating until you mentioned it." When he said something about eating, I got hungry. Until then, I had been so taken up with spiritual things I hadn't thought anything about it. (Incidentally, I ate every day from then on.) For three weeks of meetings, those were the only three days I didn't eat. I wasn't fasting; I just never thought about eating. It never dawned on me to eat. When I did begin eating, I still had just one meal a day. What I'm trying to say is there are no iron-clad rules.
(Kenneth Hagin)

I was holding a meeting in a Full Gospel church in Houston, Texas, a number of years ago, and I was staying in the parsonage. The pastor's wife never said one word to me about her poor physical condition. (She had prayed for years and never had received anything.) God began to move in the services and bless people. Many were being healed. Afterwards, this pastor's wife testified, "I saw others being healed and I fasted." (She fixed something for her husband and me to eat, but she never sat down with us.) "I fasted and prayed a couple of days," she said, "and told the Lord I knew He could heal me." One night I was ministering after I preached, and I had a revelation concerning her. I began telling her what was wrong with her, because I saw it in the spirit; the Lord told me exactly what was wrong with her. The Word of Knowledge was in operation, and she received complete healing. (K. E. H)

Smith Wigglesworth said there were two young fellows in England who saw God's power demonstrated in his meetings at his wife's mission. "We wouldn't be surprised but what God would lead you down to Wales to raise up our Lazarus," they told him. They explained that Lazarus was a man who had spent his days working in a tin mine and his nights preaching. He had collapsed and become ill with tuberculosis, and for four years had been a helpless invalid, having to be fed with a spoon. Two years later the Lord spoke to Wigglesworth. Often this great man of faith would walk in the countryside. One day he climbed one of the highest mountains in Wales. He was on top, enveloped in the presence of God, when the Lord said to him, "I want you to go raise Lazarus." Wigglesworth wrote down what the Lord had said on a postcard, and mailed it to Lazarus' home. When he arrived, he was greeted at the door by a man holding the card. "Did you send this?" the man asked. "Do you think we believe in this? Here, take it!" And he threw it at Wigglesworth. Then the man called a servant and said, "Take this man and show him Lazarus." He said to Wigglesworth, "The moment you see him, you will be ready to go home." From the natural standpoint, this was true. The man was helpless. He was nothing but a mass of skin and bones —and he didn't have an ounce of faith. Wigglesworth knew when God has spoken, you don't give in. He left, but overnight rounded up seven others to stand with him in prayer. That night the Spirit of the Lord told him not to eat, so he skipped the evening meal and skipped breakfast the following morning. (He believed prayer and fasting to be a great joy.) The next day the eight of them went back to Lazarus' house. The same man let them in, and there lay that poor fellow looking like a corpse. While Smith had been fasting, God had told him what to do: "Don't pray; don't anoint him with oil; don't touch him. All eight of you gather around the bed, hold hands, and repeat the Name of Jesus." So he said, "We just stood around the bed and said, 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus (all eight of them in unison), Jesus, Jesus!'" As they spoke, the power of God fell. Then it lifted like a cloud. They continued to hold hands and say, "Jesus, Jesus" and the power kept coming down and lifting. The sixth time it came down Lazarus said, "I've been bitter in my heart, and I know I have grieved the Spirit of God." He repented and cried out, "O God, let this be to thy glory." As he said that, the power of God went through him, healing him. Lazarus got up and dressed himself without any assistance. Then he and Smith walked downstairs singing the Doxology. Lazarus testified in an open-air meeting what God had done and many were saved. All the Spirit had said to Smith was, "Just miss two

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 2:07am On Sep 24, 2015
sidespin:
The Fasted Life
When I first went out in the field ministry, I set aside two days a week—Tuesday and Thursday—for my fast days. I wasn't led of the Lord to do it; I just fasted two days a week. I fasted 24 hours, because that was the way Israel did it. I took the extra time that I would have been eating to pray. Remember, fasting will not do you much good if you're not going to spend extra time praying, waiting on God. I made the greatest spiritual strides yet in my ministry during that time of fasting two days a week. I shut myself up in my church and spent many hours praying. I said to my wife, "I know when we eat. If I don't come out to eat, don't send the children after me. You'll know I'm going to skip that meal." I did quite a bit of fasting. I also did quite a bit of praying, and I spent that extra time in the Word of God. And often—because the church was next door—I got up and went over in the night to pray while everyone else was asleep. One night I prayed all night long. Many nights I prayed nearly all night long. I spent time fellowshipping with God, waiting on Him, walking up and down the aisles praying. (There was enough light from the streetlight shining through the windows that I didn't have to turn the lights on.) It wasn't just the fasting; it was the extra time I took to wait on God and spend time in His Word that did something for me spiritually. Fasting will help keep the flesh under and make you more sensitive to the Holy Spirit. Singers know this principle. If they eat a big meal and try to come out and sing, they are bogged down. Preachers know that. That's the reason we don't like to eat before we preach. If we do, we find we are uncomfortable and not so spiritually sensitive. After several years of fasting two days a week, the Lord said to me, "I would be more pleased if you would live a fasted life. I said, "What do you mean, a fasted life?" He said, “Never eat all you want. Keep your appetite under. That's all a fast is going to do anyway, keep the body under.” Do you know that is harder than fasting? I changed. I never had any more days of fasting. I never set any times of fasting unless the Spirit of God spoke to me. And I made greater spiritual strides living the fasted life. Much of the time I ate only one meal a day while I was in meetings. (I still do that much of the time.) I noticed that healings came more easily when I did this. When it came to laying hands on people to receive the Holy Spirit, I wouldn't eat at all. If we'd run into a hard spot and things weren't happening like I thought they should, I'd fast by drinking a little juice. If I needed more strength physically, I'd start eating, but I never ate all I wanted. I started having more results because I more or less constantly lived the fasted life. One time I went to Kansas City to hold a meeting. When I got there, the pastor said, "Brother Hagin, something has arisen and I've got to be out of town part of this week. You go ahead and run the meeting to suit you and I'll be back toward the end of the week." I preached Sunday night. Monday morning we had a Bible lesson at 10 a.m. Monday night I preached. Tuesday morning I preached (I usually carried two services a day). Tuesday night I preached. This was the third day. One of the deacons said to me, "Brother Hagin, how do you like the restaurant at the motel?" I stopped and said, "You know what? I never thought about it. I haven't eaten since I've been here. I forgot it." Then I said, "That restaurant is closed down. There is a sign there that says 'Closed.'" He said, "Oh, we intended for you to eat there. What have you been doing about eating?" I said, "I never thought about eating until you mentioned it." When he said something about eating, I got hungry. Until then, I had been so taken up with spiritual things I hadn't thought anything about it. (Incidentally, I ate every day from then on.) For three weeks of meetings, those were the only three days I didn't eat. I wasn't fasting; I just never thought about eating. It never dawned on me to eat. When I did begin eating, I still had just one meal a day. What I'm trying to say is there are no iron-clad rules.
(Kenneth Hagin)

I was holding a meeting in a Full Gospel church in Houston, Texas, a number of years ago, and I was staying in the parsonage. The pastor's wife never said one word to me about her poor physical condition. (She had prayed for years and never had received anything.) God began to move in the services and bless people. Many were being healed. Afterwards, this pastor's wife testified, "I saw others being healed and I fasted." (She fixed something for her husband and me to eat, but she never sat down with us.) "I fasted and prayed a couple of days," she said, "and told the Lord I knew He could heal me." One night I was ministering after I preached, and I had a revelation concerning her. I began telling her what was wrong with her, because I saw it in the spirit; the Lord told me exactly what was wrong with her. The Word of Knowledge was in operation, and she received complete healing. (K. E. H)

Smith Wigglesworth said there were two young fellows in England who saw God's power demonstrated in his meetings at his wife's mission. "We wouldn't be surprised but what God would lead you down to Wales to raise up our Lazarus," they told him. They explained that Lazarus was a man who had spent his days working in a tin mine and his nights preaching. He had collapsed and become ill with tuberculosis, and for four years had been a helpless invalid, having to be fed with a spoon. Two years later the Lord spoke to Wigglesworth. Often this great man of faith would walk in the countryside. One day he climbed one of the highest mountains in Wales. He was on top, enveloped in the presence of God, when the Lord said to him, "I want you to go raise Lazarus." Wigglesworth wrote down what the Lord had said on a postcard, and mailed it to Lazarus' home. When he arrived, he was greeted at the door by a man holding the card. "Did you send this?" the man asked. "Do you think we believe in this? Here, take it!" And he threw it at Wigglesworth. Then the man called a servant and said, "Take this man and show him Lazarus." He said to Wigglesworth, "The moment you see him, you will be ready to go home." From the natural standpoint, this was true. The man was helpless. He was nothing but a mass of skin and bones —and he didn't have an ounce of faith. Wigglesworth knew when God has spoken, you don't give in. He left, but overnight rounded up seven others to stand with him in prayer. That night the Spirit of the Lord told him not to eat, so he skipped the evening meal and skipped breakfast the following morning. (He believed prayer and fasting to be a great joy.) The next day the eight of them went back to Lazarus' house. The same man let them in, and there lay that poor fellow looking like a corpse. While Smith had been fasting, God had told him what to do: "Don't pray; don't anoint him with oil; don't touch him. All eight of you gather around the bed, hold hands, and repeat the Name of Jesus." So he said, "We just stood around the bed and said, 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus (all eight of them in unison), Jesus, Jesus!'" As they spoke, the power of God fell. Then it lifted like a cloud. They continued to hold hands and say, "Jesus, Jesus" and the power kept coming down and lifting. The sixth time it came down Lazarus said, "I've been bitter in my heart, and I know I have grieved the Spirit of God." He repented and cried out, "O God, let this be to thy glory." As he said that, the power of God went through him, healing him. Lazarus got up and dressed himself without any assistance. Then he and Smith walked downstairs singing the Doxology. Lazarus testified in an open-air meeting what God had done and many were saved. All the Spirit had said to Smith was, "Just miss two

Great.
I am surprised to note that this thread has been in existence since 2011 and no one commented. I read your topics, they border on spiritual things and power of God.
I was just looking for a write -up on fasted life and discovered one on my dear. Blog but was ashamed that no one commented. It dawn on me that most of on NL in this section are just here on unprofitable issues.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living The Fasted Life by brightekhibise(m): 9:20am On Sep 24, 2015
Thank you, Sidespin. Bright
Re: Living The Fasted Life by elveco: 11:45am On Sep 24, 2015
Inspiring! It reminds me of a someone that lead a ministry that told me they don't fast from food but from sin. It is the flesh that exposes us to sin and fasting disciplines the flesh and brings it under control. Fasting is a must for every Christian if we must grow in the spirit.
Nice one. God bless you!

5 Likes

Re: Living The Fasted Life by tribeofdavid(m): 2:14pm On Sep 24, 2015
Great one! For the consecration-ready Christian

1 Like

Re: Living The Fasted Life by dsquare33: 2:52pm On Sep 24, 2015
These men were really men of faith because they paid the price. Most men of God nowadays don't want to pay the sacrifice which is the sacrifice of having a retreat to really encounter the Lord,they have watered down the message of the gospel to feed their lust, no wonder the message of the cross has no meaning to people.Old time religion is the best.

1 Like

Re: Living The Fasted Life by Glovicdaprince(m): 4:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
Wooow.. Amazing....A fasted life is key to the Growing in the Holy Spirit and fulfilling destines....

What has been written above by Sidespin was actually written by Kenneth E.Hagin in his book....A common sense guide to fasting....

God bless us all
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Soteriahascome: 6:30pm On Oct 21, 2015
Glovicdaprince:
Wooow.. Amazing....A fasted life is key to the Growing in the Holy Spirit and fulfilling destines....

What has been written above by Sidespin was actually written by Kenneth E.Hagin in his book....A common sense guide to fasting....

God bless us all

Thanks for the reference. I will go and look for the book.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by ProfessorPeter(m): 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
Soteriahascome:

Thanks for the reference. I will go and look for the book.
i will look for it too. My prayer is that God should quicken us to tarry long in His presence
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 22, 2015
since the day I saw the book I wanted to buy it but forgot the title. thanks all, thank you Holy Spirit.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by makoota: 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Since June 13, 2013 and I saw it in 2017, September 24th. At the right time that I needed it. Thank God.
Thanks to the Poster.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Sara25: 1:43am On Jul 12, 2020
Thank you Sidespin and all contributors for increasing my understanding of fasting. More Grace for you to have more encounters with God.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 1:59am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:

Great.
I am surprised to note that this thread has been in existence since 2011 and no one commented. I read your topics, they border on spiritual things and power of God.
I was just looking for a write -up on fasted life and discovered one on my dear. Blog but was ashamed that no one commented. It dawn on me that most of on NL in this section are just here on unprofitable issues.

There is nothing "spiritual" about fasting! It is simply about disciplining the human body and that is it.
Fasting is not unique to the Jewish , and certainly not the Christian faith. It is practiced by pagans, witches, every religion out there.
Even sinners do it...they call it "diet" but it is to help achieve the same goal, the discipline of the human body.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 2:40am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

There is nothing "spiritual" about fasting! It is simply about disciplining the human body and that is it.
Fasting is not unique to the Jewish , and certainly not the Christian faith. It is practiced by pagans, witches, every religion out there.
Even sinners do it...they call it "diet" but it is to help achieve the same goal, the discipline of the human body.
I was asking about 'fasted life' if you have a useful contribution not arguement then give. If not just don't reply me again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 2:42am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
I was asking about 'fasted life' if you have a useful contribution not arguement then give. If not just don't reply me again.
You made a claim of it being spiritual and having to do with power of God and I felt to correct that statement is all.

Why not read up on ghandi to learn of fasting too. I heard he did a good job of it.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 2:48am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
You made a claim of it being spiritual and having to do with power of God and I felt to correct that statement is all.

Why not read up on ghandi to learn of fasting too. I heard he did a good job of it.
Do practice fasted life? simple. Tell me about it, then you would have answered my question.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by tobechi20(m): 2:53am On Jul 12, 2020
whenever dad has no money and want to save food, he declare family fasting. what do I know then?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 2:57am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Sir, you are a wrong teacher to a wrong student here if you want to discuss what you don't practice.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
Sir, you are a wrong teacher to a wrong student here if you want to discuss what you don't practice.
i am not teaching you. Simply telling you from what i have read and what i know of it that it is indeed about the body.

Think about it. Is the human spirit connected or attached to the human body that starving the body somehow affects or tames the spirit in some way? undecided

If anything, shouldn't you have to discipline the spirit instead which controls the body?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 3:02am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
i am not teaching you. Simply telling you from what i have read and what i know of it that it is indeed about the body.
DO YOU practice fasted living?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
DO YOU practice fasted living?
yeah, i did several times before and every single time o fasted, it was my body that was disciplined. But read Isaiah 58 to learn from the mouth of God about the supposed benefit claimed vs real of fasting.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 3:14am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
yeah, i did several times before and every single time o fasted, it was my body that was disciplined. But read Isaiah 58 to learn from the mouth of God about the supposed benefit claimed vs real of fasting.
Again, I insis,t tell me about fasted living. You read about Ghandi who practiced it and kenneth hagin right? Tell about your own?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 3:15am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
Again, I insis,t tell me about fasted living. You read about Ghandi who practiced it and kenneth hagin right? Tell about your own?

My own? I fasted for many months trying to learn if there was spiritual significance to the doing of it. Other than loss of weight, nothing changed And that was it!
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 3:23am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

My own? I fasted for many months trying to learn if there was spiritual significance to the doing of it. Other than loss of weight, nothing changed And that was it!
At least you gained something you fasted for. You mentioned isa 58. Is it about losing weight then?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 3:57am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
At least you gained something you fasted for. You mentioned isa 58. Is it about losing weight then?
Isaiah 58 is a look at God's own take on the whole idea of fasting. He explains there what He would rather see us do on those days and How we will be more rewarded if we did so. The entire chapter is only about 13 verses long.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 4:01am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Isaiah 58 is a look at God's own take on the whole idea of fasting. He explains there what He would rather see us do on those days and How we will be more rewarded if we did so. The entire chapter is only about 13 verses long.
Moses fasting, Paul's were wrong then.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 4:03am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
Moses fasting, Paul's were wrong then.
What I know is God is whom I serve, not Moses or Paul, so it makes no sense to follow their say-so when the Almighty has spoken on what He wants .
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 4:07am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
What I know is God is whom I serve, not Moses or Paul, so it makes no sense to follow their say-so when the Almighty has spoken on what He wants .
Spoken through whom?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
Spoken through whom?
You mean God's word? Through His prophets?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 4:10am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
You mean God's word? Through His prophets?
And what were Moses and Paul?
Re: Living The Fasted Life by Kobojunkie: 4:16am On Jul 12, 2020
MightySparrow:
And what were Moses and Paul?
Moses we know was a prophet of God. Basically, the way I identify what is God's and what is not, I look out for the key that Jesus Christ gave...

Matthew 4 vs 4 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. But he answered, “It is written,“‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
I take that to mean that everywhere I see something like, "Thus saith the Lord....", "the Lord spake through....", "Jesus Said....", basically any message attributed directly to God, is the word of God. But any message not directly attributed to God is suspect.

In the case of Paul, over 98% of what he wrote in his letters are not associated directly in a similar manner with God, meaning God did not tell him a message to reveal to us as many assume. The same can be observed in the letters of the other apostles.
Re: Living The Fasted Life by MightySparrow: 4:19am On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Moses we know was a prophet of God. Basically, the way I identify what is God's and what is not, I look out for the key that Jesus Christ gave...
I take that to mean that everywhere I see something like, "Thus saith the Lord....", "the Lord spake through....", "Jesus Said....", basically any message attributed directly to God, is the word of God. But any message not directly attributed to God is suspect.

In the case of Paul, over 98% of what he wrote in his letters are not associated directly in a similar manner with God, meaning God did not tell him a message to reveal to us as many assume. The same can be observed in the letters of the other apostles.
So, Moses approved: Paul on his own.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yahweh And Freewill / I Have Started Hating God This Days, I Think Religion Is A Scam / When Happiness Intoxicates By Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.