Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? (24979 Views)

Still A Christian? When Was The Last Time You Did Any Of These? / If Your Fellowship Holds These Teachings, Then It's Time You Moved On / Living The Fasted Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 6:18am On Dec 03, 2011
Some Christians break their fasting by 3 pm or 6pm some even break it by 12noon!. While some others fast for a day ,some 3 days and one 7 days . Ive heard some fast for 40 days just like Moses,Elijah and Jesus. We hear others warn against long fasting.

I know some Christians love to fast but need some encouragement from those who have experienced fasting. I want us to relate our personal experiences here On what fasting has done to you, and how long your fast s lasted and the different results . This testimonies are to encourage the faith of others. We have read books on tastings but nothing can be more edifying than real life experience of others.

Personally I've not done a 40 day fast as some have but I desire to. I will like those who have done such to relate their experiences so that we can learn from them.

Either your fast is long or short ,pls share your testimony. Let's know how you did it and what benefit was it to you.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mabell: 6:46am On Dec 03, 2011
30 days is my longest so far
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 6:59am On Dec 03, 2011
You don't mean!. Tell us more, how did it go? Did you take water or something? How did you sustain your body?  Did you just do 30 days one time or you started with few days before you finally embark on 30 days.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by sophiap: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2011
The longest fast I've ever done is 7 days. I broke the fast everyday but just with fruits no food. The first two days were not pleasant at all but as days go by, my body started adapting to it and it was not a struggle anymore and it was exciting. During those periods there's a knowing in my spirit that I have a personal relationship with Jesus and the Holy Ghost become more real and tangible to me.

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mabell: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

You don't mean!. Tell us more, how did it go? Did you take water or something? How did you sustain your body? 

This was some years ago, we had 30 days of glory in church in the month of January where we fasted for 30 days non stop.
At first when it was announced, i felt like i was excluded cos I taught it was not possible
The first 2 weeks was not it at all, I thought I would die
I didn't have the revelation of taking water so I did it dry
We ended by 6pm everyday and met in church to break
We had teaching and praying sessions everyday so at times you end your fast by 7,8 or 9pm
Joagbaje:

Did you just do 30 days one time or you started with few days before you finally embark on 30 days.

Well, before then , the fasting I could embark on was a day then some days then a week highest but even as at then I was not faithful to it. I just couldn't
But when this 30 day fasting came, i took it as a challenge
It ended well, at a point in time I got used to it.
I didn't bother about food
Ive never being on the fat side so you can imagine the way I looked
My father complained all through and got me blood capsules, amino acid drugs, complan milk and all
But he didn't understand and I didn't bother to explain
But my mum knew and encouraged me a little
My younger sister and I were in it together so whenever I felt like " time to give up" she encouraged me
So that was it

At the end of it all, I experienced a closer walk with God, I was broken
It was after that fast I could worship God with tears pouring down my face
Oh! What an experience it was
We had pastors minister the word like never before
I had new insights into a lot of things
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Barrrich: 2:50pm On Dec 03, 2011
The longest I had gone was 7 days. I was actually preparing for a programme at which I was to minister. This was the 1st time I had embarked on such a fast, and it wasn't funny at all. I break every day at 6 pm and would only feed on fruit. So for that 7 days I was on fruits alone, but it was worth it, and I really had a awesome time with the Holy Ghost.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 4:49pm On Dec 03, 2011
Thanks for all your contributions . Rememmber the purpose of this is to encourage those who find it challenging to fast. I still wait for more contributions. I'm learning some things too.

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by newmi(m): 6:41pm On Dec 03, 2011
You know when l was growing up, my mum made us fast alot but the insteresting thing was that she almost made us dislike the exercise because sometimes times she'll so fast most of which were "dry fast" for days that at a certain point she is so weak she could bearly speak at this point she is almost always on the bed. But inspite of this apparent weakness when it's time to pray boy! she'd sound so strong and fit that except you look you wouldn't know she had been so weak on a bed all day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by God2man(m): 10:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
If you want to achieve your aim of completing a long fast, like 7,10,14,21, then you need to go to a secluded area, quite and private, in your own house, where children will not disturb you, in a private hotel, on the mountain and so on. Here, i am not talking of 10,30,40,70 days, where you break, every 6pm, No. I am talking about total fasting, where you will not eat food,except water, throught out, in yoruba we called it (biribiri). This is the type of fasting that will have a great impact on your life, For some reasons, i do not want to mention, how many days, i have passed through, but it was more than 7 days. When i started, no water until the third day, the first two days, will be tough, the enemy will bring an aroma of food, you will feel like eating anything, so, on the third day, you will feel refreshed, as you progressed, you will become weaker, and weaker but the consolation is that, you can drink water, but no food, it is important to continue to pray at intervals of 6 to 12hrs. This will keep the thought of pain away from you, you must also meditate on the scripture, if your body permits you. On the 5th to 7th days, many things will happen to discourage you, you will feel like, you want to faint, but go and pray, then drink water, you will be okay. Fasting is a tough spiritual battle, because the enemy know, you will never remain the same, after 7 days, you are already there, i mean, you will exprience the annointing of the holyspirit,if you ask for it. Heavens will attend to you. You will feel it,physically as if a dew is falling on you. Oh! What a tremendous exprience? You will not like to stop praying, prayer will be sweet, like sugar, sweet hour of prayer. God bless you. God2man.

14 Likes

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by God2man(m): 4:00am On Dec 04, 2011
You must not forget to take your bath everyday, it will keep you fresh,you must inform your close relative of where you are, in case of any problem. It is better to fast together with somebody you can confide in. God bless you. God2man.

3 Likes

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by SirJohn(m): 4:11am On Dec 04, 2011
Wow! Fasting, It used to be my specialty some 18 years back. The longest I've gone is 3 days without food or water also once every week I went a whole day without food and water as well. I remember back then, every month of July was a month of marathon fasting, would go the whole month on fruits and light meal.
My addiction to fasting didnt go down well with my parents especially my Mum, they felt I was suicidal. I had to count my ribs each day and any day I had a hard time seeing my ribs, I would immediatly feel I need revival.
The experience was awesome for me at that time, it made me feel like a spirit, I'm over thirty now and I dont think I'm that adventurous anymore
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mochogula: 4:16am On Dec 04, 2011
fasting ? i guess, i only has 12 hours, not that good experience. honestly, your body become weak and direction may be lost.
i think, it is not about the will being strong or not approved by fasting but just a faith that you have believe in.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 6:40am On Dec 04, 2011
@Sirjohn welcome and thsnks for your contribution.
@God2man thanks for your contribution and thanks to every other person i didnt mention who had shared with us here.

I will appreciate if you can contribute to my next question

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 6:48am On Dec 04, 2011
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH WEAKNESS DURING DRY FASTING?

I once embarked on a 3 day fast, years ago and after day one I began to experience weakness in my limbs and  other parts. So bad that I couldn't even pray again, I didn't have strength to pray, I would just open my mouth and no voice comes out. I began to count time and hours. I even too a walk to distract myself frim the weakness, i almost fainted . I had to hold an elctric pole . Finally I broke the fast that 2nd day concluding that I would have strengh to pray better when I eat.

Do you experience such weakness when you fast without breaking
How did you conquer weakness of the body in a fast.
How do you get strength to pray?
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by SirJohn(m): 7:20am On Dec 04, 2011
Joagbaje:

I once embarked on a 3 day fast, years ago and after day one I began to experience weakness in my limbs and other parts. So bad that I couldn't even pray again, I didn't have strength to pray, I would just open my mouth and no voice comes out. I began to count time and hours. I even too a walk to distract myself frim the weakness, i almost fainted . I had to hold an elctric pole . Finally I broke the fast that 2nd day concluding that I would have strengh to pray better when I eat.

general body weakness is common experience during prolonged time without food, your body expects to be fed as usual and when it doesnt come, your brain immediately sends the signal to you; those are the moments you feel like breaking the fast.
However, from the third day of fast, you suddenly feel strong again (God2man mentioned that as well), I mean so strong you can even sprint. By this time, your body has switched to survival mode and is literarilly feeding on itself, thats when you begin to lose weight. That explains why people can go on for seven days or more, I had a friend who went ten full days and its all the same experience.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by God2man(m): 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2011
Joagbaje:

I once embarked on a 3 day fast, years ago and after day one I began to experience weakness in my limbs and  other parts. So bad that I couldn't even pray again, I didn't have strength to pray, I would just open my mouth and no voice comes out. I began to count time and hours. I even too a walk to distract myself frim the weakness, i almost fainted . I had to hold an elctric pole . Finally I broke the fast that 2nd day concluding that I would have strengh to pray better when I eat.

you have to go to nusery school for 2 yrs or so before you proceed to primary school for 5 or 6 yrs or so, then you proceed to the secondary school, where you spend another 5 yrs, then you end up in the university. Fasting for a long time require patience, you do it stage by stage, remember i told you, start with 1, then 2, and so on. Weakness can only be handled by the Grace of God. Pray for the Grace. After day 2, start taking water, take your bath regularly, pray at intervals. There has to be a burden from the Lord in your heart that will push you to it. God bless you. God2man.

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 1:14pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^^^^
Have you experience weakness while fasting? How do you get to pray when your streght seem gone ?
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by SirJohn(m): 3:10pm On Dec 04, 2011
Joagbaje:

^^^^^
Have you experience weakness while fasting? How do you get to pray when your streght seem gone ?
a nice cool shower anytime during the fasting period gives me supplementary energy for another 30 - 45mins, this is enough time to pray. However, our bodies may not all work the same way for example, a heavy meal the night before the day of a fast makes me very hungry the next morning. So one way I stay strong is to eat a light high carb meal not later than 7 - 7:30pm the night before.

2 Likes

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mabell: 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2011
SirJohn:

However, our bodies may not all work the same way for example, a heavy meal the night before the day of a fast makes me very hungry the next morning. So one way I stay strong is to eat a light high carb meal not later than 7 - 7:30pm the night before.
Oh! So this happens to you too
I thought I was alone on this
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 5:46am On Dec 05, 2011
Let me make my question clearer. We have 2 major kinds of fastings (there maybe more) the first is a wet fast where you can break your fast daily throughout the number of days you are fasting .the second is a dry fast whereby you don't break the fast throughout the number of days.

The highest number of days Ive done in "wet" fast is 7days and I prayed very well each time. But the highest dry fast without break I've ever had is 3 days. And I personally find it challenging to pray energetically during those last 2 days i Laboured to pray . The first attempt i made i had to dtop the fast second day because of weakness . But hears later I've learned to force myself to do 3 days . Yet i still had the weakness in the body which made prayer a challenge.i have read about others who says when they feel weak a supernatural energy took over them and gave them supernatural strength.

Have you been too weak To pray ? How did you still manage to pray. Was there a supernatural energy that came or you struggled it out like me?. That's what I really wanted to know . Just incase someone finds himself in that shoe
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mabell: 5:55am On Dec 05, 2011
Ok, now I understand
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Jenifa1: 6:03am On Dec 05, 2011
2 days. I started feeling dizzy and seeing things. I had to eat for my health because I was traveling on d third day and needed d energy.
I experience a lot of serenity though. I wish I read my bible and prayed more during the fast, it would have been an extremely wonderful experience. I only prayed a bit and spend most time just meditating.

I hope to go for 7 days some time in the next year. dry fast (with water only)
It would be during a holiday period though when I have no work or energy consuming activity.

My mom fasted for 40 days several yrs ago. I draw my inspiration from her. She still fasts regularly and encourages the family to join her.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2011
Well 4rm the dayz of my childhood we av been taught how to pray and fast by my mother, Its still in us till now, Fasting every Sunday and every 1st day of the month. Yeah longest fast ever is 3days without food or water. Did it a lot of times this year. Especially when i was still looking for a Job. I give thanks to him because all my efforts were not in vain. smiley

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Joagbaje(m): 8:37am On Dec 06, 2011
@ijogz k

Can you share some of your challenges in the fadting and how you conquered them. Remember this thread is to help some other people who may be facing discouragement and challenges in embarking on a fast.
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by plappville(f): 11:39am On Dec 06, 2011
Nice topic, i ve come to learn things lols. Coming bk to narate mine grin grin
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by aletheia(m): 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2011
What a thread. undecided
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by Knight1(m): 8:20am On Dec 07, 2011
mabell:

Oh! So this happens to you too
I thought I was alone on this
shocked :onice to see that other people experience this. maybe it's a general rule then

@Op
i think 7days 'wet' is the highest i have done, but i should even try that dry one soon sef
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by mabell: 12:23pm On Dec 07, 2011
Knight1:

shocked :onice to see that other people experience this. maybe it's a general rule then

@Op
i think 7days 'wet' is the highest i have done, but i should even try that dry one soon sef

My faith go soon reach that one
AMEN!!!!
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by OgaMadam(f): 5:50pm On Dec 07, 2011
I think what they mean is without food.

Not breaking it daily.

WHATS THE LONGEST YOU HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD?

Me? 10 Days. (no food)

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by plappville(f): 12:08am On Dec 09, 2011
Like i said befor, this is a wonderful topic, for me and of course others. I do it twice each week, but i must break it at 18 hours. This is the longest i ve done and i feel very ok with it. Its a period must dedicated with God, its a good period to study the bible. I also love listening to gospel worship songs by Don Moen and Paul Wilber, they are inspirational during fasting. I will love to know from those of u that did fasting from childhood.

At what age did ur parents involved u into it? I would love to know so as to follow up with my kids.
I never fasted when i was teen.

A prove to try doing a longer days fasting! grin
Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by obowunmi(m): 3:02am On Dec 09, 2011
14 days no food only water.

1 Like

Re: Fasting : Your Personal Experience, What's The Longest Time You Have Fasted? by StLionel: 5:21am On Dec 09, 2011
In different occasions, I have fasted for 3 days straight and dry.I decided that nothing was going to go into my mouth, not even mouth washing. Most of the times i stayed in doors praying, watching messages, studying and memorizing scriptures. Oh, boy, the first time I embarked on that, i was ok on the first day and then day 2, I began to feel so dry in my body and bones. On the third day, hmm, I literally began to feel fire(not spiritual) in my bones. I was too weak to even take steps, my lips were dry, my vision was at times blurred with pains in my eye muscles. I began following the ticks of the clock; when it was a few hours left, I was at the kitchen preparing food cos I did not want even an additional second more after fasting time. When it clocked, haaa, i don't remember how many glasses of water I drank at once, exclaiming, 'ooooh, waterrrrrr, '. Truly, it's like my eyes were opened to see the preciousness of this God-created resource which many have so rendered common. Water truly vitalizes and induces strength in the human body, no doubt it is used many times in the bible to refer to the spirit and the anointing which vitalizes and strengthens respectively. That day, I felt like I would eat food equivalent to the 3 day 'loss' but made yet another discovery, 'no matter how long you stay without food, you will still only eat as much as the stomach can handle'. It was worth it though because I perceived an increase in spiritual growth and sensitivity. When I walked out, I felt like there was a giant walking in my body; when I looked at people, they were like ants walking, cars were like toys on the road. It was like a little push or breath from me would kick them off the road. It felt so real, then I knew I was on top of this world, I was awakened to the consciousness that I had overcome this world. Fasting pays,  wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastors Owning Private Jets Is An Embarrassment – Bishop Mathew Kukah / Buhari’ll Deliver On Campaign Promises – Kumuyi / Why Generational Curses Still Affect Many Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.