Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,585 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

The Truth About Brazilian Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The Truth About Brazilian Hair (7084 Views)

Peruvian Hair V. Brazilian Hair: Which Is Better? / Brazilian Hair: Nigerian Girls, Are You Happy? (Picture) / More About Brazilian Hair And Virgin Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Brazilian Hair by tnwmagcom: 3:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
Now onto the main gist of this article – what is the true origin of Brazilian and other exotic hairs? I was talking to a Brazilian colleague years back about how popular Brazilian hair was among Nigerian women. She was shocked and had never heard anything about Brazilian women cutting off their hair and selling it to be used for hair extensions. She told me it was very difficult to imagine any Brazilian woman (no matter how poor) cutting her hair off to make money. Brazilian women are thought to be amongst some of the vainest women in the world. My colleague mentioned that a Brazilian woman can use her last money for beauty treatments and go hungry. That is how much looking good means to them. While writing this article, I researched stereotypes of Brazilian women and I guess my colleague was not exaggerating. 90% of Brazilian women classified beauty products as essential rather than luxury, compared with an average of 77 per cent worldwide. These women have no reason to shave off their hair unlike the Indians who do so for religious reasons. It is also important to note that the Brazilian hair doesn’t have a typical hair texture so its interesting how most Brazilian hair extensions we buy tend to look alike. From what I understand, Brazilian women do a lot of treatments to their hair and as such most times their hair has been damaged due to heavy use of “chemicals”. This is very different from Indian women who simply apply coconut oil on their hair and most times leave it untreated.

I am no hair expert so I cannot say conclude as to where Brazilian, Peruvian etc. hair extension comes from but my research suggests that about 80% of such hairs are Indian hair processed to take on the texture of these other countries. Indian Hair is readily available because of the millions of Hindu women who donate their hair every year to a god in a ritual of purification. The remaining 20% might indeed come from Brazil and Peru but are extremely expensive and scarce (think thousands of dollars). I have also heard that the so-called Brazilian and Peruvian hair could also come from other countries in South America that are quite poor and where the women are willing to sell their hair for little money. However, the general consensus is that the small volumes of hair that are truly sourced from Brazil and Peru is certainly not in enough quantities to satisfy the demand for Brazilian hair all around the world so it is fair to say that majority of these hairs are not from Brazil, Peru or whatever exotic location these hair manufacturers would have us believe.

My very limited research also suggests that hair is being sourced from other smaller and lesser-known countries although the manufacturers/retailers are not saying where from. Bringing it home to some of Nigeria’s hair brands – Funmi Hair, one of Nigeria’s leading hair brands does not state where it sources its hair from, their hair is simply described as unadulterated human hair. Mide’s Mane, another popular hair brand states on its website that its hair is not sourced from Brazil or India but from new countries but does not state which countries. There are several small businesses across Nigeria selling “Brazilian” and “Peruvian” hair extensions and my guess is they don’t even know that the Brazilian and Peruvian hair they sell is actually not hair from those places (although most of them buy the hairs from China). It will be interesting to hear their thoughts on the true origin of these hairs. And of course we would love to hear your own thoughts. Where do you think "Brazilian and other exotic hair" extensions comes from?

Source: http://www.tnwmag.com/the-truth-about-brazilian-hair/
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Caracta(f): 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hmmmmmm. Na wa o shocked
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
Interesting..
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
Basically India like you've stated in your writ up. I've known for quite some time that most of these hairs aren't really Brazillian women's own.
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by fr3do(m): 4:30pm On Jun 13, 2013
Fixing another person's hair..i dunno its crazy!
The average Nigerian woman from the 80s wont dare.
I wonder what happened to Nigerian hair?
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
fr3do: Fixing another person's hair..i dunno its crazy!
The average Nigerian woman from the 80s wont dare.
I wonder what happened to Nigerian hair?
I'm not a fan of fixing fake hair either though I do sometimes.
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Royaldee: 4:36pm On Jun 13, 2013
i hope our girls will learn from these and stop wasting their money(or money from their man/bf/hubby/cuncubine etc)
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by ladygogo: 6:10pm On Jun 14, 2013
it's all lies!!!. the hair is from china. mides mane and funmi hair probably have trade agreements with chinese manufacturers. i dont know why nigerian women are still being deceived by this hair retailers. thank God for the internet. it is really a leveler when it comes to accessing information.
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by Veronfemzy: 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
ladies u all need to be careful, maybe its from marine world.
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by temmie013(f): 7:26am On Jun 15, 2013
Nawa oo.may God help us oo
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by dallyo: 9:54am On Jan 09, 2014
Its so not far from the truth. Have always had my reservations about this human hair thing. May God have mercy on us and deliver us.
Re: The Truth About Brazilian Hair by afamgod(f): 1:50pm On Jan 10, 2014
cant even imagine myself fixing someone else's hair. Be it brazilian, indian, nigerian or ghanian, even if it's sold for #1. God forbid, i rather go bald.

(1) (Reply)

The Top Benefits Of Aloe Vera / Sunburn!!!* / Skimpy Dressers: Confidently Shy, Stupid, Or What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.