Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat (10528 Views)

Free Avast Internet Security Activation Code / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed / Download Kaspersky Internet Security 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Ping411: 3:49pm On Jun 13, 2013
This year’s Internet Security Threat Report has ranked Nigeria sixth for overall Internet security threat and third in Africa for virus activities.

According to a report, which was released yesterday by global security firm, Symantec Corporation, Nigeria is ranked sixth in Africa after South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Mauritius.

The report also stated that, globally, her overall security threat profile improved from being ranked 59th in 2011 to 68th in 2012.

Confirming the report, Mr. Oseme Osobase, the Territory Manager, West Africa, Symantec said; “This year’s Internet Security Threat Report shows that cyber-criminals aren’t slowing down and they continue to devise new ways to steal information from organisations of all sizes.

“The sophistication of attacks coupled with today’s IT complexities, such as mobility and cloud, require organisations to remain proactive and use ‘defence in depth’ security measures to stay ahead of attacks,” Oseme said.

The report revealed that there was a 42 per cent surge during 2012 in targeted attacks compared to the previous year, and that the manufacturing sector as well as small businesses made up 31 percent (a threefold increase from 2011) of targeted attacks.

Speaking on security attacks by cyber-criminals on small businesses, Oseme said, “Attackers home in on small businesses that may often lack adequate security practices and infrastructure.”

The report also showed that Web-based attacks increased by 30 per cent in 2012, many of which originated from the compromised websites of small businesses.

Further report cautioned that social media websites already combine elements of an operating system, a communications platform, and an advertising network. With the use of mobile and add payment mechanisms, they will attract even more attention from online criminals with malware, phishing, spam, and scams.

The United States and United Kingdom are ranked at the top of the profile with very high security threats.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/06/nigeria-ranked-sixth-in-internet-security-threat/
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by texanomaly(f): 3:58pm On Jun 13, 2013
interesting
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by DICKtator: 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
Not even from ISACA? Symantec or whatever your name is, forget it nobody is gonna patronise your products, Karspersky any day everyday!!
grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by XFive: 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2013
I am very happy at least we dey first 10

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Bsmartt(m): 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2013
what are the indices used for this report?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by fitzmayowa: 5:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
Na so so bad thing them they always mention naija name, wetin happen to the good ones

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Policewoman(f): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2013
I'm sure that the people who perpetrate this same crime in the U.K and U.S are mostly Nigerians. angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2013
Noted,next topic please.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2013
This isnt an achievement FGS! cry
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2013
Mtcheew
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by aminho(m): 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2013
They are mostly nairalanders
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by rozayx5(m): 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
woobish
*returns to trading platform undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
these threats are so worrisome, I have to change my passwords quarterly.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by lifestyle1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
Policewoman: I'm sure that the people who perpetrate this same crime in the U.K and U.S are mostly Nigerians. angry

I disagree with you... angry

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Krasid(m): 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2013
aminho: They are mostly nairalanders
starting from you.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 13, 2013
Policewoman: I'm sure that the people who perpetrate this same crime in the U.K and U.S are mostly Nigerians. angry

Smfdh.

Do you think the internet security threats they are alluding to is scam?

They're talking about sophisticated threats like; phishing, virus, worms, PoD, hacking etc. not the little scams Nigerians do. grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
HAHAHAHAH If any tyro computer user can hack into Nigeria's government website, a child can do it

LOLOLOL!!!

Link here http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/09/12/nigerian-government-website-defacement/
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by chassity002: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
Karpersky!!!

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
“The sophistication of attacks coupled with today’s IT complexities, such as mobility and cloud, require organisations to remain proactive and use ‘defence in depth’ security measures to stay ahead of attacks,”

^^^^I think the cloud thing is grossly overrated; and when people figure it out, it'll become the most vulnerable to attacks.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
This is serious. . .
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by DICKtator: 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
And yet you started a thread about Interpol Nigerian wanted list and you didn't even bother to check the number of Nigerians in the U.S./U.K'S list that this crime was perpetuated by? The problem of the blackman is finding it hard to read!!!. Check those statistics and come back here and raise cogent points instead of this balderdash you just spewed. You are fine ooo so puhlzee don't lemme yab you oooo!!!!!.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by 50calibre(m): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
Is there any evil Nigeria isn't involved in? Every evil list, you would always find Nigeria there.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Coldblooded(m): 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
We are the African Giant, we need that first position. Soon, we will over-throw the oyibos in ICT. Atleast all the things our Governments are not supporting tend to perform well with the people's efforts undecided

It is better to be good in something bad than to be neutralgrin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by ShobayoEmma(m): 5:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
is this an award or assault? Hmmm, Nigeria will surely survive all these odds. if you believe, like this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by nijanigga: 5:25pm On Jun 13, 2013
50calibre: Is there any evil Nigeria isn't involved in? Every evil list, you would always find Nigeria there.
You should ask the question. What is the meaning of Nigeria, simply put Nigeria means corruption, illegal union of ethnics with different geographical backgrounds. From every sphere Nigeria is an embodiment of evil and vices.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by tazzus(m): 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
Gbagaun.....in terry G style
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
Cold blooded: We are the African Giant, we need that first position. Soon, we will over-throw the oyibos in ICT. Atleast all the things our Governments are not supporting tend to perform well with the people's efforts undecided

It is better to be good in something bad than to be neutralgrin

@ bolded - laughable.

You've a veryyyyyyy long way to go.

You still need to catch up with the likes of Romania, Vietnam, Philippines et al.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Joshcoli(m): 5:26pm On Jun 13, 2013
D
XFive: I am very happy at least we dey first 10

Exactly my brother.... Thievery with IQ na I'm be this
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hackers are not smiling...
Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
ShyM-X:

@ bolded - laughable.

You've a veryyyyyyy long way to go.

You still need to catch up with the likes of Romania, Vietnam, Philippines Kenya, Madagascar, Zimbabwe, Namibia etc et al.

Fixed!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by optimusprime2(m): 5:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
I'd like to fink of it as 6th in being ICT compliant and flexibly creative... Not bad for a country assumed to be a 3rd world

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
This is a very good development. We will soon start carrying 1st in Africa and hopefully 1st 10 in the world.

I think the best thing to do to go in that direction is to harness the manpower we have today. The amount of yahoo yahoo boys nowadays are alarming and i think that if a government agency can train these individuals and steer them in the right direction, the IT industry in Nigeria will have a revolution.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Effectively Set Internet Usage Limit / Free Premium Account For Chrispc Anonymousvpn Pro 6.00 + Usa, Germany Server / How Can I Unlock My Etisalat ZTE MF83M Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.