Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed (10095 Views)

Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat / How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / How To Run Internet Speed Test With Dos Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 27, 2012

Nigeria's telecoms and IT sector has proven to have massive growth potential in the coming years; but the country must first overcome a number of key industry challenges before the sector can fulfill its potential. One of the largest challenges is the lack of reliable power supply to the region; however, deficiencies in ICT infrastructure must continue to be addressed.

Software piracy remains evidently rampant within the country as per a recent study released; the commercial value of unlicensed software installed in 2011 represented an 82% rate of piracy, nearly double the global rate of 42%.

The Nigerian government has launched a series of initiatives to reinforce the information and communications technology (ICT) sector within the region. These efforts include major investment programmes and partnerships to assist the sector in addressing some of the challenges that prevent the growth and development of the ICT sector. With the arrival of landed gateway cables into Nigeria, the radical innovation is contributing to improving ICT infrastructure and bridging the digital divide.

The 14,000-km fibre-optic submarine cable, named the West African Cable System (WACS), has a capacity of 5.12 terabytes per second (TBps), and began service earlier this year.

With promises of growth and development throughout the ICT sector in West Africa, Nigeria appears to be spearheading the growth as the latest state of the internet report was released. The recent report showed that Nigeria has overtaken South Africa in terms of Internet speed in less than eleven years after reforming its communications networks and market. The report also revealed that Nigeria has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps; while South Africa's average speed is faster at 496kbps, the country's peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps

With strong support from its government and keen interest from major private sector players and the outlook for Nigeria, West African country's ICT sector looks promising. As it continues to grow, there will be significant investment opportunities in the areas of infrastructural development, research and training, as well as cyber-security.

Nigeria boasted over 125 million total connected lines before the end of the last quarter in 2011 with its contribution to making the country one of the fastest growing economies of the world. These significant events included the implementation of SIM card registration by the Nigerian Communications Commission, e-registration by the Independent National Electoral Commission, and the introduction of the mobile money policy by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The information and communication technologies (ICTs) markets within West Africa are being revolutionised by the rapid adoption of Internet-based services, wireless technologies and the convergence of previously separate ICTs including broadcasting, computing and communication.

The anticipated IT Leaders West Africa Summit will focus on the many challenges currently facing West Africa's ICT industry, preventing enterprises within the region from reaching the international standards of first world nations. The summit will address today's top ICT and operations issues, and technological advancements impacting the enterprise with strategic guidance and actionable tactics.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2012
NLers, anyone wants to vouch for the claim made by this Kenya-based ICT magazine?

The report also revealed that Nigeria has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps; while South Africa's average speed is faster at 496kbps, the country's peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by salam001(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
No big deal,we have been taking 1st position since in Corruption and 1st in epileptic power supply and many many bad things.....btw am i the first to Comment?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
Then internet connectivity in Africa must really suck. cry

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by jogrin0(m): 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2012
and hw is dat interupted ma 4.0g wireless?....where is ma guy kolade?...i am miss u so much
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by solomon111(m): 5:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
pDudd: Then internet connectivity in Africa must really suck. cry
you my friend,suck.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by jogrin0(m): 5:14pm On Nov 27, 2012
jogrin0: and hw is dat interupted ma 4.0g wireless?....where is ma guy kolade?...i am miss u so much
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Arsenate(m): 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
Thread won't go further than 2 pages...Nigerians hate good news about their country

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by manny4life(m): 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
No problem

After they say " a one eyed man is king in the land of the blind" so hey, Nigeria is improving grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 27, 2012
that aint saying much considering the speed of the internet in west africa is slower than an anemic tortoise

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by justfree1(m): 5:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
na wa ooo african really suffering lipsrsealed angry undecided
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by ortopazz(m): 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
Arsenate: Thread won't go further than 2 pages...Nigerians hate good news about their country
manny4life: No problem

After they say " a one eyed man is king in the land of the blind" so hey, Nigeria is improving grin grin grin

cant stop laughing!
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by TableLeg(m): 5:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
OK
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Skywalker5(m): 5:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
eGuerrilla:

The 14,000-km fibre-optic submarine cable, named the West African Cable System (WACS), has a capacity of 5.12 terabytes per second (TBps), and began service earlier this year.

This people wont kill me with laughter. It has a capacity of 5.12TBPS but what is its current data capacity?. grin grin grin grin

eGuerrilla:
Nigeria has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps; while South Africa's average speed is faster at 496kbps, the country's peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps.

convert it to mbps
322kbps = 0.314453125 Mbps grin grin grin grin
5674 Kbps = 5.54101562 Mbps
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Afam4eva(m): 5:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
If Nigeria leads Africa in internet speed then Africa is one cursed continent. I doubt if this is true though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by ortopazz(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
All this while When am stuck on the net, e mean say I dey always jonze myself say Ghanians dey enjoy better flow, so u can imagine what it feels like browsing wiv phone in places like liberia, ghana, sierria Leone, abeg our competition should be South Africa, Egypt, etc

we are sugar coating the fact that we are not number1 in Africa and consoling ourselves with West Africans champs, its like Winning Wafu cup, and calling ya self a champ.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by manny4life(m): 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
Sky-walker:

This people wont kill me with laughter. It has a capacity of 5.12TBPS but what is its current data capacity?. grin grin grin grin

Even at that, at it's maximum capacity, at the current max speed of 5,674 bytes/sec, you will have no more than 1million people on the system no to overload it. Now do the math, it hasn't reach the capacity, yet AVERAGE is 322 bytes/sec, Nigeria has A LONG WAY TO GO. Anyway, I'm happy for their improvement o. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by OmichaelO: 5:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
hian.*yimu*
se like dis

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by solomonkane(m): 5:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
Until I see Rossike's reaction, no comment. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Skywalker5(m): 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
manny4life:

Even at that, at it's maximum capacity, at the current max speed of 5,674 bytes/sec, you will have no more than 1million people on the system no to overload it. Now do the math, it hasn't reach the capacity, yet AVERAGE is 322 bytes/sec, Nigeria has A LONG WAY TO GO. Anyway, I'm happy for their improvement o. grin grin grin

Lets say its bit 322 bits per second = 0.00030708313 Mbps grin grin grin grin grin grin
322 (bytes / second) = 0.00245666504 Mbps this one has more numbers if we erase the .00 in front of it grin grin grin grin grin

All this ISP companies that will be using word like bytes/sec or kilobyte/sec so the increase the number before it so they can make people gullible. Its ridiculous. Imagine website magazine reporting bandwidth speed in kbps in this modern age
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Koolking(m): 5:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
'Nigeria's telecoms and IT' is contracting its reports recently. It's the same 'Nigeria's telecoms and IT' ( I cant get the softcopy of the edition but I still have the hardcopy). Ghana was leading in Internet speed in Africa and ranked 77 out of 174 countries in the world, with the highest Internet speed of 5.57Mbps scored by Ghana Telecom. The report put Nigeria at No.8 in Africa and 130 out of the 174 countries in the world, with the highest Internet speed of 2.47Mbps scored by Netcom Africa. I doubt this report
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
If this is true,then West Africa is really backward. I don't know abt u,but my(and those i knw) internet connectivity walks,it doesn't speed. So,for 9ja to be in the lead,shows there is trouble.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by amosy007: 5:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
I told someone i got abt 3000kp/sec which is close to 25mbit/sec on etisalat which i with my 4g modem buh he doubted i could get such speed.. Has anyone got dat kinda speed b4?
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by igbsam(m): 5:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
Yea right!
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by salolo(m): 5:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is kind of report that should be said about this great country. kudos
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Likely true. My Etisalat service is good

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by martyns303(m): 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
O.michael.O:
hian.*yimu*
se like dis
Pls which website are u downloading that good deed movie from?
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by merengue: 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
Wow!!! So MTN Nigeria & Globacom are included in this "astonishing" internet delivery? shocked. If Nigeria has the fastest internet, then Africa's backward nature (real or perceived) is worse than anyone could have ever imagined.
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by amosy007: 5:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
merengue: Wow!!! So MTN Nigeria & Globacom are included in this "astonishing" internet delivery? shocked. If Nigeria has the fastest internet, then Africa's backward nature (real or perceived) is worse than anyone could have ever imagined.
as bad as mtn is.. I still get 700kb/sec which is around 5.6mbit/sec

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
O.michael.O:
hian.*yimu*
se like dis

784bytes/sec is shocking slow.
Are you sure that Airtel application is providing the correct reading?
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
It's all on paper...
Re: Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed by jamace(m): 5:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
Arsenate: Thread won't go further than 2 pages...Nigerians hate good news about their country
What is good about this news? Tell us the truth, does your internet connectivity have up to the stated speed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Restore Window 7 As In Fresh Install / The Best Internet Connection To Use? / Intel Vs AMD: What's Your Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.