Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan (13253 Views)

Vote Of No Confidence: Governor Yahaya Bello Reacts, Blasts APC Chairman / APC Passes Vote Of No Confidence On Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello / Photos Of Nnamdi Kanu In Court Toady: ''I Have No Confidence In This Court'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by lekanolas: 7:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said the high level of indiscipline and unmerited promotion to certain ranks in the police had made many Nigerians to lose confidence in the force.

Jonathan said this in Abuja while inaugurating the Police Service Commission, PSC, headed by former Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro.

Other PSC members are Alhaji Mohammed Yakubu, Justice Olufunmilola Oyinlola Adekeye, Hajia Aisha Larai Tukur, Mrs. Comfort Obi and Dr. Tony Ayim.

According to the President, though the police are recognised and highly praised for outstanding performance when they are on international assignments, it is unfortunate that they cannot maintain proper discipline and even perform better when discharging their duties at home.

He said: “You will agree with me that Nigerians don’t have so much confidence in the Nigeria Police but Nigeria Police are good.
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/nigerians-have-no-confidence-in-police-jonathan/
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by bigtt76(f): 7:29pm On Jun 13, 2013
Only the police? Even the government sef especially hin wey de talk so, we no get confidence in am. Mtscheeeeew.

49 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by coogar: 7:32pm On Jun 13, 2013
mr jonathan, the onus is on you to purge the police force and get rid of the undesirable elements in there. make the job attractive by employing graduates. improve the welfare of the policeman and they would be well-respected by the populace.

respect would come when the average policeman takes home N200,000 per month.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by babadem2much(m): 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2013
habaaaaaa!!! Mr president i no fit talk say u dey bend my morale but u don finish dis ppl n dem go kukuma say oga don talk am say im n we no get confidence 4 our own gr8 9ja olopa dem. remember say police is ya friend oh but dem muz push im motor wen town don red. if na u nko?
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Garrithe1st: 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2013
Mr. President, I have no confidence in you too..

cool

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by superior1: 7:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
I have no confidence in you the commander in chief of the armed forces talkless of ordinary police constable

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by magaliyu(f): 7:53pm On Jun 13, 2013
Mr President you don crucify the police.
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Lawconfessor(f): 8:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
#Subscribing#

Ibem fa goat
Muwa ewu!!

All na d same fin dear.
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by egift(m): 12:53am On Jun 14, 2013
Who is the overall head of the Nigerian Police Force?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Afrocatalyst: 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2013
Huh?
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by dedons: 1:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Thank God dat oga GEJ also knows abt this
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Seems to me that he was trying to make a point and the sentence was taken out of context. His last sentence reads " ..Nigerians dont have so much confidence in the Nigerian police BUT the Nigerian police are good."
But me, i pray and try to avoid anything called police or any security forces attention. So i say "wharefa"!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by otokx(m): 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2013
If true, GEJ should be careful how he speaks. It is not what that is said but the way and manner in which it is said.
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
Bulllshiit.. In you neither Mr. Slow-gun Presidente
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by DJDOLA(m): 1:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
Naija is blessed
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by IYANGBALI: 1:49pm On Jun 14, 2013
bigtt76: Only the police? Even the government sef especially hin wey de talk so, we no get confidence in am. Mtscheeeeew.
thank you jare. The man dey talk like say Nigerians get confidence in him and his govt

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by thelastPope(m): 1:50pm On Jun 14, 2013
Nigerian military rulers destroyed the police force. They deliberately created a culture of disdain for merit, indiscipline and low self esteem in the police and that totally destroyed the foundations of the police force. The police were once the most respected people in Nigeria!
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Lifebender(m): 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2013
Ogbeni jona,and wetin you dey do to correct that cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by IYANGBALI: 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2013
magaliyu: Mr President you don crucify the police.
he don bury dem
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by effisyman: 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
We use to have confidence in NL before, but with the advent of Cooking with celebrity, posing with politician and rate my pics...everything don pafuka.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by wheesin(m): 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
is it now u sabi...sumtin that we lost hope,confidence,believe,respect in since 1969..abeg we are used to losin hope in old and unuseful things like you and policepeople
?
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by thelastPope(m): 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
otokx: If true, GEJ should be careful how he speaks. It is not what that is said but the way and manner in which it is said.

If he had said the police were perfect, what would you have called him then? Keep spewing your hatred, it means nothing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by IYANGBALI: 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
coogar: mr jonathan, the onus is on you to purge the police force and get rid of the undesirable elements in there. make the job attractive by employing graduates. improve the welfare of the policeman and they would be well-respected by the populace.

i doubt it,give them 500k a month some of dem go still dey chop bribe

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by toyfat: 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
Sha d police sef get confidence in themselves?
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by ZN2: 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2013
First time I heard a politician in this country own up. You're right, I don't.

The question is "What are you doing about it?"

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by thelastPope(m): 1:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
Lifebender: Ogbeni jona,and wetin you dey do to correct that cool

Did you actually read the article? You should have seen he was addressing members of the new reconstituted police service commision who he was charging with the task of reforming the police

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by ud4u: 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
same of same
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by 50calibre(m): 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
But Nigeria doesn't have a police, how then can you blame Nigerians for not trusting a vigilante group being passed off as police
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
Not only d police. Even him, his ministers and the lawmakers. Crooks, brigands, liars and looters. They are all made of the same material.
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
Pls what is 'confidence'? Is it the way the police killed students in uniuyo and others or what? smh!
Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by MiloRambaldi(m): 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2013
coogar: mr jonathan, the onus is on you to purge the police force and get rid of the undesirable elements in there. make the job attractive by employing graduates. improve the welfare of the policeman and they would be well-respected by the populace.

Great point, agree completely. To fix the police, their welfare must be improved. I'd say push their monthly pay to N300k at the minimum - slash the salaries and allowances of lawmakers, if you must, to make this happen. This will make it unnecessary for policemen to seek N20 and N50 as bribe on the roads (though that has largely stopped).

Might be best to have the State govts fund the police, though. State govts need to be responsible for their basic security with the FG coming in only when necessary.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have No Confidence In Police – Jonathan by chuckdee4(m): 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2013
Good Luck Johnny, tell me something I don't already know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo Guber: Ihedioha Cleared As PDP Candidate / Nigeria Air: Trouble For National Carrier As Reps Mull Probe Of Concession Deal / Breaking, Kano State Commissioner Of Police Has Been Transfered To Yobe State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.