Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG (16930 Views)

Expect More Ebola Virus Cases In Nigeria – FG / Nigeria: FG Plans Stiffer Sanctions For Unlicensed Patent Medicine Vendors / Cholera May Spread Across Nigeria — Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by 3ace(m): 10:08am On Jun 14, 2013
obinna-kenedo:
how can u prove its lame?. Summary: what works for Mr A may not work for Mr B. His uncle could be any of those. Cheers!
He's argument is weak because first and foremost, he justified that smoking should continue because so many people will loose their jobs in the banking industry. This is always our argument whenever some thing unpleasant is to be corrected. For Christ's sake, we have to make some sacrifices before we can achieve a better Nigeria which we all dream of. For instance, look at the Okada ban in Lagos and the restoration of confidence in the banking industry some few years ago. When these policies were to be implemented, people like him(pistol) raised the same fear of joblessness but today, is it not a welcomed development. This country is filled with abnormalities and we just need to sacrifice in order to put things right again.

Secondly, telling us that your uncle is a nonagenarian after smoking for years doesn't absolve smoking of any health hazards. I won't say more on this as google is handy for research. I don't smoke and should naturally not be bothered about this but I'm concerned of the passive-smoking aspect. Like some of the smokers have said, they should confine the act to smokers' homes. That means outright ban from the public and they should be serious about it this time.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Tinkybabe(f): 10:09am On Jun 14, 2013
If people can't take responsibility for their wellbeing, the government is ready to take the responsibility for them cool
Good but unrealistic move.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by ignis: 10:11am On Jun 14, 2013
Am yet to discover what people gain or derive by smoking.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by MrAboki: 10:15am On Jun 14, 2013
All this rubbish is just to increase the price of Benson for the Poor man..

Even many Government people sef dey smoke..

Ban wetin.. angry

Mallam, give me one Benson and Tom-Tom for there
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by hardbody: 10:17am On Jun 14, 2013
Is that why we are a criminally marked country?
Is cigarrette the reason we are No. 2 in world terrorism
Is cigarette the reason our lawmakers are collecting so much and doing absolutely nothing
Does that explain why we gave out our oil rich bakassi to Cameroun
Will that ban assure us of qualification to Brazil
Will the ban provide housing for all by year 2020

.......So many reasons not to bother about cigarette for now. I can understand the dangers of passive smoking, we can address that by legislating against outdoor smoking, but banning it entirely?....Error.

I will dare anyone to stop me from smoking in my room. Even now sef we dey bass am all the way through Ikoyi-third mainland-my house and nobody arrests nobody.

Them dey mad ni. In short their papa. I don vex sef, let me go to koro and smoke, BRB.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by princealexndre(m): 10:21am On Jun 14, 2013
Ifah hear!smoking will be banned ke!!! What do they expect all those Amugbos to live on.it can never be banned! 4get am (FG)
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Erifenz: 10:24am On Jun 14, 2013
This so called government in Nigeria are all sane ppl
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Lifebender(m): 10:24am On Jun 14, 2013
[quote author=Maxymilliano][/quote]
walahi,u die daily:/

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by kevoh(m): 10:24am On Jun 14, 2013
ignis: Am yet to discover what people gain or derive by smoking.
You will never discover/know until you try it. To really understand something you need to experience it. Just ask double agents who manage to bring down terror cells how they managed to do that, which of course it is by infiltrating such cells (by having a real life experience of how these criminals operate).I'm not a smoker by the way.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Youngzedd(m): 10:24am On Jun 14, 2013
Ouch_Daddy:

Nna, ur own case is critical!! You don lanko o..!! Lmao!! Reason's why d smoking should actually be banned, so u be revived to Sanity!

Seconded.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Ifeyinwa88: 10:26am On Jun 14, 2013
Thats a good step, afterall does cigaret give protein,does it boast your immune system or does it give you energy. Pls save that money for cigaret in as year and see if you cant build one self contain room
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by fuke(m): 10:28am On Jun 14, 2013
malele: The Federal Government, on Thursday, said smoking would soon be banned in the country as soon as the Anti-Tobacco Bill before the National Assembly was passed into law.
It also disclosed its readiness to convene a Universal Health Coverage to help boost strategies towards improving healthcare delivery.
Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, who spoke in Abuja, at a ministerial platform, insisted that the Federal Government could no longer condone smoking.
He asked rhetorically: “Why are you smoking? Why are you taking what will kill you? What benefit do you derive from smoking?”
Professor Chukwu listed his achievements in office in the last two years to include establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital, Abuja; completion of Federal Staff Hospital, Jabi, Abuja; completion of Laboratory and Administrative building of the Nigerian Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Abuja, and rehabilitation and equipping of several teaching hospitals in the country.
The minster disclosed that President Goodluck Jonathan increased funding for polio eradication to N4.7billion and made further commitment of N2.5billion this year with a Presidential Task Force on Polio Eradication constituted to help in the fight against the disease.
He said, “today in Nigeria, seven of our teaching hospitals can do kidney transplant. This month, we are expecting International Certification Team on the Elimination of Guinea Worm in Nigeria.”

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/14317-smoking%E2%80%99ll-be-banned-soon-in-nigeria-fg.html

Jobless people.

Go create environment conducive for investment and job creation.

If i decide to smoke, it is my business.

Some Nigerians, out of lack, take in things more dangerous than smoking.

Even in USA it has not been banned.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 14, 2013
Tobacco is controlled by powerful multi-corporations who will go to any extent to frustrate any bill to ban cigarette.what I expect the FG to do is control smoking in public places but anyone who chose to die through smoking should be given that privilege to do so in as much as it doesn't harm his immediate environs !
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Youngzedd(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2013
3ace:
He's argument is weak because first and foremost, he justified that smoking should continue because so many people will loose their jobs in the banking industry. This is always our argument whenever some thing unpleasant is to be corrected. For Christ's sake, we have to make some sacrifices before we can achieve a better Nigeria which we all dream of. For instance, look at the Okada ban in Lagos and the restoration of confidence in the banking industry some few years ago. When these policies were to be implemented, people like him(pistol) raised the same fear of joblessness but today, is it not a welcomed development. This country is filled with abnormalities and we just need to sacrifice in order to put things right again.

Secondly, telling us that your uncle is a nonagenarian after smoking for years doesn't absolve smoking of any health hazards. I won't say more on this as google is handy for research. I don't smoke and should naturally not be bothered about this but I'm concerned of the passive-smoking aspect. Like some of the smokers have said, they should confine the act to smokers' homes. That means outright ban from the public and they should be serious about it this time.

Well said.

+100000
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Rapmoney(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2013
U wan ban smoking? Why FG no ban corruption and unemployment? if dem ban smoking, I swear 20 million unemployed youths go flood the streets like Afghanistan flies, causing havoc to the fullest!!! Biko, Audu give me one Benson & Hedges make I take hold ma sef!
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Youngzedd(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2013
3ace:

Well said.

+100000
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by tosanex: 10:38am On Jun 14, 2013
coolFor naija not workable
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Afam4eva(m): 10:43am On Jun 14, 2013
If the ban smoking, na him be say Gay people no get hope be that.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Rooneyboy(m): 10:45am On Jun 14, 2013
chidindufrank: This must be a form of attack on the person of Gen Buhari who is a well known smoker.

grin grin grin
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by obinnakenedo(m): 10:45am On Jun 14, 2013
3ace:

well said my friend. Meanwhile, i still believe the woman should concentrate on inproving the sectors facilities rather than trying to ban smoking. To me, i see it as a misplaced priority. My opinion!
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by babslamin: 10:47am On Jun 14, 2013
Only if FG can build smoking joint in public places like how european countries reduced the limit of public smokers. Nigeria here even the smoke coming out of our vehicles are effective too, cause they change the color of our atmosphere. Meanwhile these smoking pls beware again o' smoking no good 4 Ur health o' I know its hard to quit but please for Ur health sake & to reduce global warming too... Imagine 15billion cigarrettse is smoked a day worldwide

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by ABUGEORGE(m): 10:49am On Jun 14, 2013
Smoke kills and at the same time it heal and cure. So pls say another topic. Guy pass me d ganja make i take while away time. Dont mind those people (govt) dat are lookin for a way to extort money from d govt to stop smokin. If we must stop smokin den ur govt need to stop d smoke/corruption too. Foolish people dat dont know wat to do wit position and power
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by ohidani: 10:50am On Jun 14, 2013
Dis pple wnt seize 2 amuse me.so smokin is now d problem we av.dey cn aswell banned beer. Foooooooools
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by peedeeasobie(m): 10:53am On Jun 14, 2013
I am not a smoker, I have never smoked but when an under-developed nation like nigeria starts legislating on minor issues like smoking and dressing, it means they have lost their purpose and have no major agenda for the populace.
There are better things to tackle and handle than smoking.

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Lovelyboy007: 10:56am On Jun 14, 2013
They are the one that will collect import duty on that goods at our ports, they are also the one that will arrest anybody that is using the same goods, may God deliver us from all this uselless nigeria government
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by victorv12(m): 10:57am On Jun 14, 2013
They can ban people from smoking cigarette but weed, nooo, that won't be allowed!! Nobody can ban us from smoking reefer! What the government should be thinking of is how they can make money by taxing the heavy marijuana trade in Nigeria, not to ban people from using it. Weed is highly medicinal for the system. The government should rather be thinking of a way to legalize it and make billions of dollars from the trade. In Holland, there are coffee and weed shops everywhere which are heavily taxed. The government makes a lot of good money from the business. Again, it brought down the crime rate...Just imagine our government can allow us to export Ijebu Igbo or Abeokuta weed to Los Angles or UK, is that not a good international trade?!! What we should be thinking about is how we can re package our weed to meet the international standard requirements not to ban smokers from smoking...think about it!!

1 Like

Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Akpaife(m): 10:58am On Jun 14, 2013
[quote author=Maxymilliano][/quote]
And u will see smokers protesting
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by arshatunde: 10:59am On Jun 14, 2013
Well let's c if it works out....boyz er nt smilin
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 14, 2013
yes i fully support it! I really could never understand why anybody should engage in what will kill them. Yet if you curse them with death, they will reject it.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by johnstar(m): 11:05am On Jun 14, 2013
malele: The Federal Government, on Thursday, said smoking would soon be banned in the country as soon as the Anti-Tobacco Bill before the National Assembly was passed into law.
It also disclosed its readiness to convene a Universal Health Coverage to help boost strategies towards improving healthcare delivery.
Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, who spoke in Abuja, at a ministerial platform, insisted that the Federal Government could no longer condone smoking.
He asked rhetorically: “Why are you smoking? Why are you taking what will kill you? What benefit do you derive from smoking?”
Professor Chukwu listed his achievements in office in the last two years to include establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital, Abuja; completion of Federal Staff Hospital, Jabi, Abuja; completion of Laboratory and Administrative building of the Nigerian Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Abuja, and rehabilitation and equipping of several teaching hospitals in the country.
The minster disclosed that President Goodluck Jonathan increased funding for polio eradication to N4.7billion and made further commitment of N2.5billion this year with a Presidential Task Force on Polio Eradication constituted to help in the fight against the disease.
He said, “today in Nigeria, seven of our teaching hospitals can do kidney transplant. This month, we are expecting International Certification Team on the Elimination of Guinea Worm in Nigeria.”

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/14317-smoking%E2%80%99ll-be-banned-soon-in-nigeria-fg.html
person food
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by searay(m): 11:10am On Jun 14, 2013
A good development. At least we will be having good comments here. Not WEED inspired comments as usual.
Re: Smoking Will Be Banned Soon In Nigeria - FG by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 14, 2013
ShyM-X:
If this happens - then I definitely need to cancel Nigeria out of my list. Can't see myself going to a place where I can't puff my cancer sticks. That's what gives some of us sanity in this crazy world. While most people are dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts - some of us just block everything life throws at us by puffing a few cancer sticks and everything will be back to normal.

I absolutely love smoking - can't stop, won't stop. And if I die, so be it - nothing lasts forever, yo. grin

I'mma drop a freestyle to show my love for smoking. wink

you smokers always think ok..they say cigarette kills, but oh everybody must die someday. But the fact is not all of them will just slump and die. Some will be plagued with cancer for many years, some will have to battle with lung cancer for very long. Not all of them will be lucky and die peacefully. Suffering a lot b4 dying is not the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Six Ways To Use Aloe Vera As A Beauty Product / COVID-19 Update For December 30 2020 In Nigeria / Foreign Hospitals Stealing Kidneys, FG Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.