Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,047 members, 7,835,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group (11012 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / Pastors Collected N6b To Campaign Against APC, Buhari – Amaechi Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by DerideGull(m): 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2013
Idazinim:

Not exactly, In some posts he is right, in others he is not completely correct. The Ikwerres are never 50% of the Rivers State voting population. Ikwerre is Phalga, Obio Akpor, Emuoha and Ikwerre LGA's. Ogoni is Tai, Eleme, Khana and Gokhana LGA's This is 4 LGA's a piece. Probabably if Abagworo's assessment is correct on the issue of population, then Ikwerre and Ogoni only makes up Rivers State as Ogoni could have taken the remaining 50%. Where will you now place the Kalabaris with 3 LGA's, old Ahoada with 4 LGA's and Old Bonny with 4 LGA's, amongst other old blocs with more than 2 LGAs. At best Abagworo has lived long in Port Harcourt and is never a Riversman hence can't truly know about Rivers State, as he may be merely seeing Rivers State as Port Harcourt which is very wrong. But all the same He is so right on Amaechi's travail being in his belief for fairness for other groups, which is commendable.

It is a wasteful endeavor to dwell on whether Ikwerri is Igbo or not. However, Eleme is not Ogoni. In addition, there are Igbo from Obigbo, konkom, Oboapku, Abiama, Umuagbayi and Afam.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by nairalforlaughs: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2013
LastApostle
Ikwerres he could mean the IBO speaking populations.
Port Harcourt city, Obio-akpor, Emuoha, Ikwerre, Etche, Omuma. Ogba egbema Ndoni, Ahoada East, Ahaoda west, Oyibo, Eleme
That's all I can remember

First off, take out Ahoada East and West and Eleme, they are not Igbo speaking areas. We know them to be from upland area just like the Ogonis and people from Abua.

You probably live in Port Harcourt that is why you were able to mention these places, have you been to the riverine areas and can you mention them the way you just did with the upland? Do we know the population of these places? If you can mention them, that is good, be it as it may, I will also mention a few that I can remember as I am typing: Abonnema, Buguma, Opobo, Bonny, Andoni, Okrika, Nkoro, Degema, Bakana Ogu, Ogoni etc

From the little I know, in terms of population and the make-up of Rivers State, I still maintain that the Ikwerres are not 50% of Rivers population.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Shekson(m): 1:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
Election by rotation or by merit? Is dis what Amaechi terms a fair election for the people? If people choices are constrained to regions, I wonda if that's the present definition of a free and fair election. As the saying goes, 'everything works the opposite I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Nigeria'
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by DerideGull(m): 1:25pm On Jun 14, 2013
nairalforlaughs: LastApostle
Port Harcourt city, Obio-akpor, Emuoha, Ikwerre, Etche, Omuma. Ogba egbema Ndoni, Ahoada East, Ahaoda west, Oyibo, Eleme

First off, take out Ahoada East and West and Eleme, they are not Igbo speaking areas. We know them to be from upland area just like the Ogonis and people from Abua.

You probably live in Port Harcourt that is why you were able to mention these places, have you been to the riverine areas and can you mention them the way you just did with the upland? Do we know the population of these places? If you can mention them, that is good, be it as it may, I will also mention a few that I can remember as I am typing: Abonnema, Buguma, Opobo, Bonny, Andoni, Okrika, Nkoro, Degema, Bakana Ogu, Ogoni etc

From the little I know, in terms of population and the make-up of Rivers State, I still maintain that the Ikwerres are not 50% of Rivers population.

Please locate the original name of Eleme. Again, Eleme is not Ogoni as most people wrongly thought. In addition, disregard the anglicized name for Ahoada and seek the true name and connotation
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by nairalforlaughs: 1:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
Afam4eva
If Amaechi wants an Ogoni person to succede him then he should have made an Ogoni person his deputy. There has to be continuity in government.

I am not interested in who governs Rivers State, I just want somebody that is concerned with the problems of the people and ready to make a change. I hope you do know that Ikuru was Omehia's duputy.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by nairalforlaughs: 1:32pm On Jun 14, 2013
DerideGull

Please locate the original name of Eleme. Again, Eleme is not Ogoni as most people wrongly thought.

I do know Eleme is not Ogoni. Are they not from upland? Or are they from Riverine area?
Please, read my post again. I was trying to make a point to Afam.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by DerideGull(m): 1:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
nairalforlaughs: DerideGull

Please locate the original name of Eleme. Again, Eleme is not Ogoni as most people wrongly thought.

I do know Eleme is not Ogoni. Are they not from upland? Or are they from Riverine area?
Please, read my post again. I was trying to make a point to Afam.

Yes, Eleme is from the Upland of Rivers State. However, there is nobody inhabiting the Riverine areas of Rivers State when population is the major issue in the discussion. Not to digress, I remembered my visit to Yanegoa in the 80s, canoe was the "Okada" needed to go from house to house.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by stebell(m): 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2013
Symphony007: The beautifull thing about rivers state is that, no matter how long the highlanders have ruled, the riverine people are not making problems over it, all they want is even development in all communities and the collective growth of the state. Rivers state should be a model to nigerians and their tribalistic instincts.
My broda I cudnt agree wit yu less. Yu hv said it all. The Riverine peeps don't really care who become de gov. Wat D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are always thinking is to open their community(sand fill), shore protection, employment of their youths, basic amenities( water, schs, health centres, electricity etc). Not forgetting gud roads. Infact let me give yu one million likes.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by nairalforlaughs: 2:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
DerideGull

Yes, Eleme is from the Upland of Rivers State. However, there is nobody inhabiting the Riverine areas of Rivers State when population is the major issue in the discussion. Not to digress, I remembered my visit to Yanegoa in the 80s, canoe was the "Okada" needed to go from house to house.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, are you from Rivers State? If you are, did you grow up in Rivers State? If you did, and you don't know what upland and riverine areas mean? Sorry, I have to say this.
I had to laugh at your comment because, if you are not from upland you are from the riverine area. Using canoe to go from house to house does not change that, infact, it kind of prove what I am trying to say.
Yes, we are discussing population, I know that, just like you said you are the one digressing.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
Idazinim:

Not exactly, In some posts he is right, in others he is not completely correct. The Ikwerres are never 50% of the Rivers State voting population. Ikwerre is Phalga, Obio Akpor, Emuoha and Ikwerre LGA's. Ogoni is Tai, Eleme, Khana and Gokhana LGA's This is 4 LGA's a piece. Probabably if Abagworo's assessment is correct on the issue of population, then Ikwerre and Ogoni only makes up Rivers State as Ogoni could have taken the remaining 50%. Where will you now place the Kalabaris with 3 LGA's, old Ahoada with 4 LGA's and Old Bonny with 4 LGA's, amongst other old blocs with more than 2 LGAs. At best Abagworo has lived long in Port Harcourt and is never a Riversman hence can't truly know about Rivers State, as he may be merely seeing Rivers State as Port Harcourt which is very wrong. But all the same He is so right on Amaechi's travail being in his belief for fairness for other groups, which is commendable.

The truth is that Nairaland is an unanimous forum for good. I'm an Igboman but my mother is from a well known political family in Rivers and I grew up with her alone after my primary school. Ikwerre has only 4 LGA's but is the largest ethnic group. Out of the 4, only Ikwerre mainly occupies 2 while the remaining 2 is a mix with Ikwerre being at per with non-natives. Each of the Ikwerre LGAs is equivalent in population to 2-3-4 of other LGAs.

Amaechi has suffered enough to make sure he leaves Rivers State with a solid foundation for continuity. Ikwerres speak Igbo language but they are not ethnically Igbos. Rivers State has several of such Igbo-speaking and related groups. A very ethnically complex State I may say.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by ofilispeaks(m): 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2013
Geomac: Ethnicity should not be a factor to be considered in electing the next governor. Gov. Amaechi, what happens to merit?

could not have said it better!
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by true2god: 5:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abagworo: Ikwerres speak Igbo language but they are not ethnically Igbos. Rivers State has several of such Igbo-speaking and related groups. A very ethnically complex State I may say.
I wonder hw u can reconcile dis statement 'Ikwerres speak Igbo language but they r not ethnically Igbos'.

The Ikwerres ceases to be ethnically Igbos after d 1979 obasanjo constitution presided by Rotimi Williams in order to purge river state of any Igbo trace which is almost imppssible cos u cannot change pple's real identity by mere constitutional conference or referendum.

There is no any traceable history of Igbos colonizing the Ikwerres which have have led 100% Ikwerres speaking Igbos. Ikwerre (in River state) is an offshoot of Nkwerre (in Imo state) and both pple bear the same name, speak the same language, have the same culture, share similary vegetation and anthropology.

So i doubt if really u have Igbo link whatsoever hence u wont write wat u just wrote.

Ikwerre is an ethnic group 'created' by the Nigerian govt in order to weaken or eliminate Igbo interest River state.

Ngwa, ohafia, Nkwerre, Ikwerre, Orlu, Obigbo, Asaba, Nsukka, Owerri, Nnewi, and many others are all Igbos.
Even if an Ikwerre man goes to the UN shouting ' i am not Igbo', it makes not difference.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by nairalforlaughs: 5:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abagworo:

The truth is that Nairaland is an unanimous forum for good. I'm an Igboman but my mother is from a well known political family in Rivers and I grew up with her alone after my primary school. Ikwerre has only 4 LGA's but is the largest ethnic group. Out of the 4, only Ikwerre mainly occupies 2 while the remaining 2 is a mix with Ikwerre being at per with non-natives. Each of the Ikwerre LGAs is equivalent in population to 2-3-4 of other LGAs.

Amaechi has suffered enough to make sure he leaves Rivers State with a solid foundation for continuity. Ikwerres speak Igbo language but they are not ethnically Igbos. Rivers State has several of such Igbo-speaking and related groups. A very ethnically complex State I may say.

I find the bolded very hard to believe. The truth is that a lot of people living in PH know and meet the Ikwerre's because they occupy PH and part of the environs, but do not know much about other ethnic groups and their makeup .
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by bugila(m): 5:30pm On Jun 14, 2013
[quote author=the_ripper3]Wetin be meaning of Ogoni pio pio ? Heard it is derogatory. Why did u ask when you know that is derogatory. Why can't u correct your spelling of Pio Pio to PURE PURE.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by onitshaigbo(m): 7:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
Symphony007: I love this move by ameachi. Enough of this igbos called ikwerres who claim to be riverines running rivers state. It is time for the real riverines like the bonny,kalabari,andoni;abua;etc...to take control of their state. I do not know how it will be made possible but by ameachi just aknowledging it, is a great step.

Why seek to divide Rivers state and indeed, all of Nigeria by ethnic groups? Can't we just be identified as simply Nigerians and be judged based on merit and not on something we can't control, like ethnicity? Affirmative action, like all discrimination, is wrong.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by olawalemanog: 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2013
Symphony007: I love this move by ameachi. Enough of this igbos called ikwerres who claim to be riverines running rivers state. It is time for the real riverines like the bonny,kalabari,andoni;abua;etc...to take control of their state. I do not know how it will be made possible but by ameachi just aknowledging it, is a great step.

What does it matter who becomes Governor, what we want is have someone who will continue the good work that Amaechi started. If we do not start thinking like this, i wonder what you will tell your children when thry ask you why the state is still so backward with all the money generated from oil.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by igboboy1(m): 10:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abagworo:

who are the ethnic igbos?
Igbo people dont have one history. I know for one my history as an oshimili man differs like garri and quaker oat to that of an owerri man.
Aro, Abiriba etc have history that points to cross river people
Onitsha and western igbos have history pointing to Benin.

So i dont get it when people try to insinuate as if igbos are one homogeneous group. We differ from language to history to certain cultural practices....
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by mikeokiro: 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2013
LastApostle:
Port Harcourt city
Obio-akpor
Emuoha
Ikwerre
Etche
Omuma
Ogba egbema Ndoni
Ahoada East
Ahaoda west
Oyibo
Eleme

you are very correct my dear , and some people don't even know that both ikwere and etche are all igbo and both ikwere local government and etche local government were one before it was divided, so wat amaechi is trying to do is to shift the governorship to his igbo speaking brothers in etche because he wants igbos in Riverstate to retain the governorship and avoid president Jonathan brothers from kalabari from nearing it to reduce Jonathan influence in the state

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by otokx(m): 11:25pm On Jun 14, 2013
looks like hijackers are about to be kidnapped.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Mieye007: 11:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
igbo boy:

Igbo people dont have one history. I know for one my history as an oshimili man differs like garri and quaker oat to that of an owerri man.

So i dont get it when people try to insinuate as if igbos are one homogeneous group. We differ from language to history to certain cultural practices....
Interesting!
In other words, na community effort ( Osusu) from all over Nigeria make up Igbo land. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 2:35am On Jun 15, 2013
Abagworo:

There was an agreement in 1999 that after Ogba/Ndoni comes Ikwerre, Ogoni, Etche in that order before it goes riverine again. That's the cause of all these problems. Someone wants her brother there in 2015. Ikwerre is by far the largest ethnic group in Rivers State and hold 50% of the voting population while when combined with other upland people + Igbos are up to 80% of the population. So they hold the key.

This Amaechi rotation stuff is crap,as i can't see igbo in that rotation time table.
Etche have refused to go under the igbo banner,they now stand as a tribe and are already making up silly benin origin stories. ONELGA has had it's turn in odili, Ikwerre are now having their turn with Amaechi.

So,why are the only igbo group that have not yet taken the benin route,nor have promoted their clan into an ethnic group. The group i am talking about are the ndoki and Asa in Oyigbo lga. Why are they missing from that rotation list,or are they being punished for sticking to Igbo union by those who took the bini route?

Amaechi should go to hell! Nonsense! Nobody should honour that his stupid rotation list,as it useless.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by EzePromoe: 2:40am On Jun 15, 2013
Abagworo:

Ikwerre is the largest group. That's true. But any day someone calls you to prove your claim, don't go ahead counting LGs. Its not by number of LGs but by the vastness of our land and population density which is second to none in the state. And none of Ikwerre LGs is only indigenes. Ikwerreland is so open that you find people of different tribes even in the remotest village.
BTW, your biggest flop is saying that Ikwerre is not ethnically Igbo. That's garbage. We all don't have common history. Many people like me would stone anyone who tries to cut me off from my Igboness. I'm proudly Ikwerre Igbo and some are not. Some would trace their origin to Benin, all these claims started just of recent.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by EzePromoe: 2:46am On Jun 15, 2013
pazienza:

This Amaechi rotation stuff is crap,as i can't see igbo in that rotation time table.
Etche have refused to go under the igbo banner,they now stand as a tribe and are already making up silly benin origin stories. ONELGA has had it's turn in odili, Ikwerre are now having their turn with Amaechi.

So,why are the only igbo group that have not yet taken the benin route,nor have promoted their clan into an ethnic group. The group i am talking about are the ndoki and Asa in Oyigbo lga. Why are they missing from that rotation list,or are they being punished for sticking to Igbo union by those who took the bini route?

Amaechi should go to hell! Nonsense! Nobody should honour that his stupid rotation list,as it useless.
Etche is just by any other Igbo group in the East. It would be easier for Ikwerre to be a completely Ijaw spoken group than for Etche do deny its Igbo root. Unless they're ready to flag off changing of the names of their villages.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 3:03am On Jun 15, 2013
igbo boy:

You see,that's the problem,they speak as if there is any group that is called 'igbo' in igboland,or that there is any group in igboland that speaks igbolanguage as it's indigenous language.

An idemili man speaks idemili,an nsukka man speaks nsukka,an nkanu man speaks nkanu,an enuani man speaks enuani, so who speaks igbo? No one .

When he said that the ikwerre's are not ethnically igbos,who are the igbos that he was refering to? As there is no group that goes by that name. Rather igbo is a conglomerate of many tribes. Who have their differences but chose to ignore them and rather look at their similarities. On that note,it would be silly to say that ikwerre's are not ethnically igbo as igbo is but a concept, the right sentence would have been: Ikwerres are not ethnically Ngwa or anyother group like idemili,nkanu,nsukka, enuani,etc. Just like i can say that the idemilis are not ethnically nkanu.

I wonder what an idemili man like me have in common with an oguta man like Abagworo.

One of the things the ikwerre complained about in old the eastern region was the making of an Oguta man,(who the ikwerre's quickely termed Igbo man,there by uniting him with an idemili man like me,whose ancestors had no knowledge of a place called oguta) by the name Nzimiro the mayor of Ph,rather than see that as Oguta domination over them,they quickly tagged it Igbo domination,and you begin to wonder when and where the ogutas had a meeting with my idemili people to dominate Ph on our behalf.

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 3:30am On Jun 15, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Etche is just by any other Igbo group in the East. It would be easier for Ikwerre to be a completely Ijaw spoken group than for Etche do deny its Igbo root. Unless they're ready to flag off changing of the names of their villages.

Etche has maintained a separate identity in rivers state,etche is an ethnic group,just like Ogba and Ikwerre. Go to etche sites and see how they have started making up their own benin story,while dismissing the kinship they share with ngor-okpuala people as a possibe co-incidence,they are slowly toeing the ikwerre path,though they haven't yet decided on what letter to add in front of their 'umu' villages, ikwerre chose' R' maybe etche might chose 'Q', that would definitely give them a non-igbo flavour and a Chinese one,anything less 'igbo' would do.

The only igbo speaking groups in rivers state that are yet to promote their clan names into an ethnic group are the egbema,ndoki and asa groups,and something tells me that this is not unrelated to the prescence of their people in Abia and imo states, these groups are the only groups that are officially recognized and goes by the name 'igbo' in rivers state,and these people are proud igbos that would not hesitate to tell you that they are igbos.

So,you can see the mischief game the ikwerre man called amaechi is playing by not including these people in his yeye and stupid rotation plan,but rather skipped them like they don't exist in rivers state.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by EzePromoe: 4:50am On Jun 15, 2013
pazienza:

Etche has maintained a separate identity in rivers state,etche is an ethnic group,just like Ogba and Ikwerre. Go to etche sites and see how they have started making up their own benin story,while dismissing the kinship they share with ngor-okpuala people as a possibe co-incidence,they are slowly toeing the ikwerre path,though they haven't yet decided on what letter to add in front of their 'umu' villages, ikwerre chose' R' maybe etche might chose 'Q', that would definitely give them a non-igbo flavour and a Chinese one,anything less 'igbo' would do.

The only igbo speaking groups in rivers state that are yet to promote their clan names into an ethnic group are the egbema,ndoki and asa groups,and something tells me that this is not unrelated to the prescence of their people in Abia and imo states, these groups are the only groups that are officially recognized and goes by the name 'igbo' in rivers state,and these people are proud igbos that would not hesitate to tell you that they are igbos.

So,you can see the mischief game the ikwerre man called amaechi is playing by not including these people in his yeye and stupid rotation plan,but rather skipped them like they don't exist in rivers state.

I beg to disagree with your opinion.
First of all, know the meaning of ethnic group. Ogoni is the only ethnic group in Rivers state. Others are subgroups of either Igbo or Ijaw. People who deny Igboness in Etche will number only 10% of their population. Most villages in Etche reckon with Imo state government and politics than Rivers.
You might have read what you wrote somewhere, but as a Rivers boy, i'll tell you that everything on the net is overhyped. Mostly for the sake of getting traffic.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Gideon1010(m): 5:12am On Jun 15, 2013
Not rotation but vibration, na wao oo!. jst do ur own and go but dnt 4gt d watch dogs are there.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by EagleNest(m): 6:11am On Jun 15, 2013
Who cares if Ikwerre or Etche and likes wants to be identified as Igbos or not. By their family names, village names, language, attire, etc it is difficult to erase the affinity. For political reasons it seems convenient for these communities to opt for non-Igbo ID. Like Peter Tosh sang, it doesn't matter where u come from as far as u're black man, u're African. And Bob Marley sang also on knowing ur history and ur destiny. No matter how u hate ur father's place u're still from there.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by UCyril: 6:32am On Jun 15, 2013
Why call them etche or omuma instead of igbo,i served in etche LGA and this people speaks igbo dialect.does it mean for example people from afikpo,nnsuka,ngwa etc are not igbos.pls let stop this division it won't help us.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2013
U.Cyril:
Why call them etche or omuma instead of igbo,i served in etche LGA and this people speaks igbo dialect.does it mean for example people from afikpo,nnsuka,ngwa etc are not igbos.pls let stop this division it won't help us.

Exactly. If etche cares about Igbo union,they wouldn't have registered as etche ethnic group in rivers state, but they did,just like the Ikwerre and Ogba, this should tell you their stance on the igbo union ish.
There are no Ndoki,Egbema and Asa ethnic nationality in rivers,rather they all chose to remain under the Igbo ethnic nationality and are officially recognized as Igbos in rivers state,that should tell you where their loyalty lie.

If you meet an Etche man an ask him his ethnic group,his answer would be Etche, but if you ask the same to an egbema,ndoki or asa man,his answer would be Igbo.

Amaechi must make room for the igbos of rivers in that his silly rotation scheme or go to hell with the useless rotation plan that is unfair to my(igbo) people in rivers state.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Policewoman(f): 12:32pm On Jun 15, 2013
Abagworo:

There was an agreement in 1999 that after Ogba/Ndoni comes Ikwerre, Ogoni, Etche in that order before it goes riverine again. That's the cause of all these problems. Someone wants her brother there in 2015. Ikwerre is by far the largest ethnic group in Rivers State and hold 50% of the voting population while when combined with other upland people + Igbos are up to 80% of the population. So they hold the key.
Ikwerres are Igbos. Take note.
Re: Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group by Afam4eva(m): 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2013
Here's what wikipedia says about Etche and below it is what it says about Ikwerre. If you noticed the bolded for Etche, it was explicit unlike the bolded for Ikwerre. So, to some large extent, Etche people still see themselves as Igbo. Even a lot of Ikwerre people who deny their Igboness will be quick to tell you that it's Etche that are Igbos not them. lol

Etche is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria, named after the Etche people of Southern Nigeria. The Etche are a sub-group of the Igbo people and they speak a dialect of the Igbo language

The Ikwerre are one of the many ethnic groups in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. They are generally considered a subgroup of the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria, although a small minority for

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidential Aspirant(prof Kingsley Moghalu) Delivers A Lecture In Fupre / Inuwa Yahaya Meets Young Scientists, Calls For Domestication Of ICT Innovation / 2024 Budget: House Turns Back Representatives Of CBN, Customs, FIRS Heads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.