Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,342 members, 7,829,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan (11021 Views)

Do You Know These 3 Things All Investors Want To See? / Basic Financial Statements For Your Business Plan That Investors Want To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by lifestyle1(m): 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2013
cool
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by kaposky(f): 1:44pm On Jun 17, 2013
This is real valuable info.
Thanks for sharing.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by kumbalo(m): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2013
Page bookmarked! Not leaving out the Exit strategy some have suggested. Pls I would appreciate it if you guy could explain the "Exit strategy" Gratia!
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by makelove2m(m): 2:13pm On Jun 17, 2013
This is cute, post more if you have
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by thefunclubenterprise(m): 2:18pm On Jun 17, 2013
Nice piece, I'm planning on making a proposal soon, will bookmark this page to assist in securing the funds.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 17, 2013
subscribes. On the process! Thanks @op
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by loswhite(m): 2:55pm On Jun 17, 2013
find.it.ng:

long write up...still you left out the all important....the exit strategy....dont just read books...wake up...if it fails...how do we exit with minimal loss or a clear even-out....from experience...just a pointer
I think dat will be exposing sum sort of pessimism on ur part, so why will i invest when u r not even optimistic about ur plan?
There is difference between highlighting risk and exit strategy
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by kayjegs: 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2013
You are very right, OP. I have encountered many investors who don't know all these things. Investors in Nigeria are not very good for start-ups whereas these information given here is for start-up.

And for many investors or entrepreneurs who need to know what business to do, the right investment costs and expected profit analysis. The range of business talked about here cuts across all these: Horticulture (Leafy vegetables, Tomatoes, Pepper Cost and Analysis)
Poultry Farming (Broilers, Layers)
Snail Farming
Goat Farming
Transport (Passenger and Haulage)
International Business (Terms used in Import and Export)
How to be an effective broker
Writing a Business Plan and Proposal
Petroleum Marketing
Novel and New Business Ideas
Hot products to sell
Addresses of Importers
Pig Farming

Just a glimpse of what I am talking about:

Have you ever thought of Meat slaughtering business, that is having an abattoir of your own.
Meat sellers make serious money in the business because it is an everyday food commodity. You look at them as being dirty or unschooled but they make much money.
This is a business you can do well as an educated person. Get a cow and get people who know about the business well especially the younger folks amidst them and let them help with the sales. On a cow, you can make 70-100% profit within 2 days maximum. I think you know what that means, right?
And because you are schooled and educated, you can better package this business well an make it attractive and you will make your money.

This is an eye-opener. Wishing you a wonderful day!

Check this links to get ideas you need: https://www.nairaland.com/1182280/funds-not-business-actually-need OR https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by EmekaDopa(m): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2013
Dis is exactly wat I need...very Beneficial...Op, keep it up. Now U are on point!
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by cityhood: 6:36pm On Jun 17, 2013
MITNEXUS: If you are in the process of raising capital for your business from investors, then you unquestionably need a business plan. A business plan is a critical part of starting any business and serves a number of critical functions. Writing a solid business plan can be a real challenge, however, which is likely how you found yourself here

A good business plan must answer in sufficient details the following 10 questions if it is to meet the expectations of prospective investors and potential business partners.

1.Company Description – What does your company do? What is your mission statement and overall product or service focus?

2.Management Team – Give a brief description of your key employees with respect to leadership, education, background and work experience.

3.Problem Being Solved – What problem is your company solving and how great is the pain or waste?

4.Customers – Who are your potential customers? Does your product or service directly impact your customer’s bottom line?

5.Value Proposition – How much does your customer make or save by using your product or service? What are the benefits to your customer? How long does it take to realize these benefits?

6.Business Opportunity – How does your company make money? Describe the revenue streams, and include a yearly projection of revenue, expenses, EBITDA, net income and funding requirements for the next five years.

7.Uniqueness – How do your customers use your product or service today? Who else does the same thing you are doing today? Who else could be doing it tomorrow?

8.Barriers to Entry – Is your product or service defensible? Are there sufficient barriers to entry? What patents, copyrights, trade secrets, etc. protect your product from duplication?

9.Competitive Differentiation – What is the competitive landscape? Discuss companies that can be viewed as competition in the market segment. Please explain the key points of differentiation between you and your competitors.

10.Scalability – Where might your product grow within your client company (and its supply chain and sales channels) or among client users?

11.Sales and Marketing Strategy – What is the target market size and growth over the next five years? How will you attract customers? What are your distribution channels and how do you plan to achieve market penetration?

12.Strategic Partners – What strategic relationships do you currently have or plan to have in the future? What is the nature of these relationships?

Answering these questions successfully will sufficiently excite a lender or investor about your concept and that will convince them they should fund your business.

Whether you are seeking a bank loan, equity investment from angel investors, venture capital firms or friends and family, you need an Investor Ready business plan. An investor ready business plan is a document that has been professionally prepared to meet the needs of investors.

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by prologue: 7:35pm On Jun 17, 2013
@ op...Nice one
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by ABsI1: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2013
iamSi: Hmm what a info _
ur GRAMMAR will certainly not ATTRACT INVESTORS (what a info)- guess its an error(unforced error)

1 Like

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by brighter: 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2013
@Op are you an expert in writing business plan? If yes, pls contact me on gozykynkyonline@yahoo.com
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by danniekute(m): 8:29pm On Jun 17, 2013
wonderful piece of info.please OP,if u have any developed business plan do send to me;.ducieldom@gmail.com.tanks.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by mrjingles(m): 11:47pm On Jun 17, 2013
ezstino:

on point my brother. people who have really started businesses know that exit strategy is as important as market entry strategy. Reason is dat every business can fail and any plan without exit strategy is incomplete. I am writing from a personal experience
Exit strategy does not only refer to failure of the business, that is a worst case scenario. the first exit strategy refers to how the investor will "cash out" or realize his investment. Is it by sale to another business? Stock exchange listing, dividend recapitilization etc. Some Investors are not only interested in dividends but growing the value of the business.

I liken exit strategy to a divorce, before the marriage plan for the divorce.

1 Like

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by biafranqueen: 4:52am On Jun 18, 2013
Well done OP
This is great the rule I use for assisting entrepreneurs in a pitch is the 10/20/30 Rule
10 slides
20 minutes( you usually get 1 hour but
30 point font text

You just need enough to get them interested most people only remember 1 thing from a presentation.
So keep it to 10 slides.

This relates to when you land the meeting with the investor.

1.Title
2.Problem
3.Solution
4.Business Model
5.Underlying Magic (Use flow charts, diagrams less text)
6.Marketing and Sales(Convince the audience that you have an effective go to market strategy that won't break the bank)
7.Competition
8.Management Team
9.Financial Projections and Key Metrics
10.Current Status/Accomplishments to Date, Timeline and Use of Funds

If they ask about the exit strategy have an answer ready but don't waste your slides on that.

Important
It is your duty to make sure they have have a projector and it works with your lab top
Bring a copy of presentation
Ask how long you have to show you value everyone's time

2 Likes

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by fuke(m): 8:21am On Jun 18, 2013
MITNEXUS: If you are in the process of raising capital for your business from investors, then you unquestionably need a business plan. A business plan is a critical part of starting any business and serves a number of critical functions. Writing a solid business plan can be a real challenge, however, which is likely how you found yourself here

A good business plan must answer in sufficient details the following 10 questions if it is to meet the expectations of prospective investors and potential business partners.

1.Company Description – What does your company do? What is your mission statement and overall product or service focus?

2.Management Team – Give a brief description of your key employees with respect to leadership, education, background and work experience.

3.Problem Being Solved – What problem is your company solving and how great is the pain or waste?

4.Customers – Who are your potential customers? Does your product or service directly impact your customer’s bottom line?

5.Value Proposition – How much does your customer make or save by using your product or service? What are the benefits to your customer? How long does it take to realize these benefits?

6.Business Opportunity – How does your company make money? Describe the revenue streams, and include a yearly projection of revenue, expenses, EBITDA, net income and funding requirements for the next five years.

7.Uniqueness – How do your customers use your product or service today? Who else does the same thing you are doing today? Who else could be doing it tomorrow?

8.Barriers to Entry – Is your product or service defensible? Are there sufficient barriers to entry? What patents, copyrights, trade secrets, etc. protect your product from duplication?

9.Competitive Differentiation – What is the competitive landscape? Discuss companies that can be viewed as competition in the market segment. Please explain the key points of differentiation between you and your competitors.

10.Scalability – Where might your product grow within your client company (and its supply chain and sales channels) or among client users?

11.Sales and Marketing Strategy – What is the target market size and growth over the next five years? How will you attract customers? What are your distribution channels and how do you plan to achieve market penetration?

12.Strategic Partners – What strategic relationships do you currently have or plan to have in the future? What is the nature of these relationships?

Answering these questions successfully will sufficiently excite a lender or investor about your concept and that will convince them they should fund your business.

Whether you are seeking a bank loan, equity investment from angel investors, venture capital firms or friends and family, you need an Investor Ready business plan. An investor ready business plan is a document that has been professionally prepared to meet the needs of investors.

Nice job.
But you left out one important point.

Threats to the business and how you plan to overcome them.
This element is very important when you are writing a bankable proposal
as there is no business and industry without its problems.

You must identify these problems in your proposal and give ideas as to how to solve them.

Having said that some proposals may need more areas to be covered

1 Like

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 8:31am On Jun 18, 2013
Thank u dear will u write one for me?
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by softangel(m): 12:08pm On Jun 18, 2013
Very informative and educating.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
Nice piece.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Kalusam(m): 6:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
cash22: NICE INFO. just few people are here on this topic, thats why u dont see much comments on an invaluable info such as this. naija people like rubish things and jokes that wont even benefit them

Main reason why a lot of Nigerian Youths are unemployed...The average Nigerian Youth prefers working for others.
Nigerian Youths need to start thinking entrepreneurial. Opportunities abound in choosing entrepreneurship as a career path, however management education is highly important...Thanks for the info @ poster!

1 Like

Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Ignatism: 9:39am On Jun 19, 2013
This is so rich.
Pls I need more on this hot topic because I have been thinking on how to write a convincing business plan so as to get loan for my agro processing plant.....anyanwumc@gmail.com
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by emperoracro(m): 6:49am On Mar 24, 2015
I am looking for a reliable business partner,i deal with Agricultural products, i have a store and a bus for the business, am working on expansion. Pm me or contact me on +2348136909187, pls i want only serious and mature people. Thanks
CLOSED
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 24, 2015
MITNEXUS:
If you are in the process of raising capital for your business from investors, then you unquestionably need a business plan. A business plan is a critical part of starting any business and serves a number of critical functions. Writing a solid business plan can be a real challenge, however, which is likely how you found yourself here

You forgot one important thing, ROI.. They of course want to invest in your business, but you didn't include the ROI. If I were to invest in your business proposal seeing all the listed objectives and no ROI, I won't invest in your business. So, please include that. You can inform people that ROI can be in form of phases, depending on your start-up business.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 24, 2015
emperoracro:
I am looking for a reliable business partner,i deal with Agricultural products, i have a store and a bus for the business, am working on expansion. Pm me or contact me on +2348136909187, pls i want only serious and mature people. Thanks

Pardon me, but before I make a call to you, I need to understand what Agricultural products you are talking about. What do you want to expand? You have a store and a bus, doing what with them? No one will take your business from you, state what you do, and you get calls from people.
Re: What Investors Want To See In Your Business Plan by emperoracro(m): 10:32am On Mar 24, 2015
dadaic:

Pardon me, but before I make a call to you, I need to understand what Agricultural products you are talking about. What do you want to expand? You have a store and a bus, doing what with them? No one will take your business from you, state what you do, and you get calls from people.
I am into Palm oil and plantains for now,i buy in d other states and sell in NLagos, my capital for stocking is kind of low now, so am looking for partners who can assist in raising money. everything dealings will b legalized
ROI is btween 7%-12% monthly for a start

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Me2u.online A Scam? My Sister's Experience / What Business Can He Do With 10million Naira? / Best Forex Broker For A Beginner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.