Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,365 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister (6446 Views)

Potable Water: Daura vs Otueke (Pics) / LP To GEJ: You're A Liar! Potable Water, Economy, All Lies. / Isi-uzo: A Cry For Potable Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Pukkah: 3:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
PurestBoy:

No u don't get it, they want us to pay first before embarking on the project. Yet Water Corporation people sell water to homes and people reselling water.

But people are already paying where/when it is available.

They should embark on whatever project first. Or is it that they just want to increase the tariff?

Afterall, they've increased NEPA tariff a number of times without a corresponding improvement in power supply.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Okijajuju1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Nigeria can have free or cheap portable water at minimum expence to the national purse. Not everybody should have access to free or subsidized water. The rich and middle income people should pay full price. It is a government's responsibility to uphold the human rights of its citizens. Nigeria is not doing that. Everything does not have to cost us billions of petrodollars. What happened to improvisation. Nigerian state is impoverishing her citizens. The Nigerian state has occupied indegenous resources, making the resources only available to people who have dollars. Nigeria should provide easy access to her resources; to its own citizens at subdisized rates. That is the only way to develope a people whilst developing a country. Access to clean water is a human right!

And who will agree that they are rich?!
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Wallie(m): 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis: Shes right.
If Fashola could ask us to pay for the road he constructed with our money before we walk on these roads...then there is nothing wrong in paying a token for the water we drink/use everyday

We try to justify FREE FREE things because of the poor, and the more we provide free things, the poor becomes even poorer cos they no longer see any reason to work!

Imagine a dad who sent his 9 children to government schools for free.. the childen get to school in free uniforms & free books to eat free food and then come back home to meet their father sleeping and snoring on bed...

"We cannot eradicate poverty by providing free things"

- Acidosis

Eradicate idleness, joblessness & corruption; and poverty shall be nowhere close to the citizens!

I agree with your conclusion but your rationale is really flawed!

1. If one is unable to pay the toll on Fashola’s road, he/she can find an alternative route or simply not go to that area. EVERYONE needs water to survive! You need to drink it, bathe with it, cook with it, clean with it, irrigate your farms with it, etc. There is no alternative to having water and water is just as important as air we breathe.

2. You also need to be cognizant of the fact that the cycle of poverty can only be broken by preparing our youths for tomorrow regardless of their economical background. A father that has 9 kids he can’t care for will most likely end up raising nuisances. As a society, we have a choice of ignoring them today and dealing with them tomorrow or dealing with them today so that they can become productive members of the society tomorrow. The government providing the kids free basic amenities of life will only ensure that the kids have a fighting chance of being successful. If the kids are ignored, the end result is the almarijis in the North. Simple. Moreover, the kids had no say in choosing which family they got birthed into.

Lastly, the minister needs to be trained in effective communication! What she said is true but she should have highlighted the positives and not the negatives. For example, she could have said that with each family paying a token like N20, the government can provide clean drinking water to each house. The end result is still the same but she’ll get a more favorable response from the populace.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Pedagogue: 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis: Shes right.

Everything cannot be free. Someone has to pay a token to compliment the effort of the government..

Our past leaders destroyed these country with free things.. When you give people things for free.. they'll never know the worth and such things don't last. Free projects always lack proper maintenance in Nigeria..

Even those apointed to maintain free projects do not take their work serious because its free.

If Fashola could ask us to pay for the road he constructed with our money before we walk on these roads...then there is nothing wrong in paying a token for the water we drink/use everyday

The only reason why pure water business is growing rapidly is cos we pay before we drink!

We try to justify FREE FREE things because of the poor, and the more we provide free things, the poor becomes even poorer cos they no longer see any reason to work!

Imagine a dad who sent his 9 children to government schools for free.. the childen get to school in free uniforms & free books to eat free food and then come back home to meet their father sleeping and snoring on bed...

"We cannot eradicate poverty by providing free things"

- Acidosis

Eradicate idleness, joblessness & corruption; and poverty shall be nowhere close to the citizens!

D mindset of the poster above is the reason why things are bad in Nigeria!!!

Is the minister's statement different from the capitalist statement that DAVID MARK made years back? If in 2013 we still have a minister that will justify why poor Nigerians do not have access to potable water, all else is lost!!!

D above poster does not know that poverty is directly connected to poor standard of living! Does it occur to this poster that there is no way "idleness ,joblessness & corruption'' can be "eradicated" if the right infrastructure is not put in place!!! Water, just like electricity are necessities and any govt that cannot guarantee these 2 basic things does not deserve to be called 'government'.

I guess this poster is comfortable with the situation in the country where there's a private arrangement for supposed public things...I,e for your security, you must hire security men. For electricity ,you need a generator. For water supply, u must dig a borehole!!! So, tell me, what then is the essence of government ?

I am not in anyway saying government must do it all or provide everything for free...My point is, why will a country that has abundant resources struggle to provide basic amenities for her citizenry? D answer to this is CORRUPTION and bad governance!!!
And every time we do not tackle gullible statements like this, we unwittingly allow them to continue ! Nigerians, be wise!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 19, 2013
Dafuq is "potable" water?
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
The water dun come den we no pay

We CANNOT have access to FREE PORTABLE WATER but the politicians CAN have access to our FREE NATIONAL TREASURY...

SMH. Let's see the water first, before She goes ahead with whatever she wants to say
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by KA24DETT(m): 5:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
Okija_juju:

And who will agree that they are rich?!

GOOD QUESTION
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by adwem2003(m): 5:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
Waterrrrrrrr, u no get enemy.... make Fela hear say u wan dey sell portanble water. Na curse he go curse dat minister.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by fr3do(m): 5:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
texanomaly:
I say again: HOW? Back this statement up with a plausible plan please.

is crude oil now worthless in the international?
If it isnt what is the essence of government when an amenity as basic as potable water can't be provided to citizens for 'free'.
Where do all those crude go to.

A country as rich as 9ja should even pay its unemployed youth.

SOLUTIONS
1.indigenes in a community where potable water is provided should be registered and limited to take a specified amount of water daily so as to prevent abuse.
2.the budget on water resources should be considered.
3.workers at the outlets should be paid.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by fr3do(m): 5:15pm On Jun 19, 2013
texanomaly:
I say again: HOW? Back this statement up with a plausible plan please.

is crude oil now worthless in the international market?
If it isnt what is the essence of government when an amenity as basic as potable water can't be provided to citizens for 'free'.
Where do all those crude go to.

A country as rich as 9ja should even pay its unemployed youth.

SOLUTIONS
1.indigenes in a community where potable water is provided should be registered and limited to take a specified amount of water daily so as to prevent abuse.
2.the budget on water resources should be considered.
3.workers at the outlets should be paid.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Acidosis(m): 5:16pm On Jun 19, 2013
Wallie:

I agree with your conclusion but your rationale is really flawed!

1. If one is unable to pay the toll on Fashola’s road, he/she can find an alternative route or simply not go to that area. EVERYONE needs water to survive! You need to drink it, bathe with it, cook with it, clean with it, irrigate your farms with it, etc. There is no alternative to having water and water is just as important as air we breathe.

Why should any governor deny me access on the road because I don't have money to pay?

In other words, people who can't afford to pay the token for water supply can also explore other alternatives like ; Rain, Stream, River,

2. You also need to be cognizant of the fact that the cycle of poverty can only be broken by preparing our youths for tomorrow regardless of their economical background. A father that has 9 kids he can’t care for will most likely end up raising nuisances. As a society, we have a choice of ignoring them today and dealing with them tomorrow or dealing with them today so that they can become productive members of the society tomorrow. The government providing the kids free basic amenities of life will only ensure that the kids have a fighting chance of being successful. If the kids are ignored, the end result is the almarijis in the North. Simple. Moreover, the kids had no say in choosing which family they got birthed into.

Lastly, the minister needs to be trained in effective communication! What she said is true but she should have highlighted the positives and not the negatives. For example, she could have said that with each family paying a token like N20, the government can provide clean drinking water to each house. The end result is still the same but she’ll get a more favorable response from the populace.

I agree but even if she twist the statement to suit your suggestion, trust me, she'll still get unwarranted criticism
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by texanomaly(f): 5:17pm On Jun 19, 2013
babslamin: I cannot believe that Minister of Water Resources, Sarah Ochekpe, said that it will be impossible to have free potable water in Nigeria. It's impossible to have portable water in Nigeria because we have full time imbeciles whose stock in trade is looting. America is large, there is portable water in every home, yet a minister says its impossible to have the same in Nigeria. Where are they from? We all know the consequences of sinking boreholes but in d absence of portable water what do we do? Urine therapy? Why can't they give hope? How can utilities taken for granted in other nations become impossibilities in Nigeria? Electricity is a Herculean task, water is impossible. As portable water is impossible in Nigeria & boreholes are not good 4 ecological reasons, if we manage urine therapy, how about cooking etc

Politicians in America are no better... Because of the entitlement mentality here, our national debt is in the trillions.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Acidosis(m): 5:18pm On Jun 19, 2013
adwem2003: Waterrrrrrrr, u no get enemy.... make Fela hear say u wan dey sell portanble water. Na curse he go curse dat minister.

You people will just come online and post rubbish. Who is Fela??

Why did he (FELA) sell his audio/videos?

Why did he not give it out for free?
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by fr3do(m): 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2013
Pedagogue:

Is the minister's statement different from the capitalist statement that DAVID MARK made years back? If in 2013 we still have a minister that will justify why poor Nigerians do not have access to portable water, all else is lost!!!

D above poster does not know that poverty is directly connected to poor standard of living! Does it occur to this poster that there is no way "idleness ,joblessness & corruption'' can be "eradicated" if the right infrastructure is not put in place!!! Water, just like electricity are necessities and any govt that cannot guarantee these 2 basic things does not deserve to be called 'government'.

I guess this poster is comfortable with the situation in the country where there's a private arrangement for supposed public things...I,e for your security, you must hire security men. For electricity ,you need a generator. For water supply, u must dig a borehole!!! So, tell me, what then is the essence of government ?

I am not in anyway saying government must do it all or provide everything for free...My point is, why will a country that has abundant resources struggle to provide basic amenities for her citizenry? D answer to this is CORRUPTION and bad governance!!!
And every time we do not tackle gullible statements like this, we unwittingly allow them to continue ! Nigerians, be wise!!!

gbam!
If i had seen dis post earlier,i wud have liked it instead of writing my previous post.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by fr3do(m): 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis:

You people will just come online and post rubbish. Who is Fela??

Why did he (FELA) sell his audio/videos?

Why did he not give it out for free?

was FELA GOVERNMENT?
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Acidosis(m): 5:25pm On Jun 19, 2013
Pedagogue:

Is the minister's statement different from the capitalist statement that DAVID MARK made years back? If in 2013 we still have a minister that will justify why poor Nigerians do not have access to portable water, all else is lost!!!

What is this?

When and how do I support bad governance??

All I'm saying is, we shouldn't expect free things at all times!
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by fr3do(m): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis:

Why should any governor deny me access on the road because I don't have money to pay?

in a case where u're arrested for tax invasion,u're stopped from using the roads
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Wallie(m): 5:36pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis:

In other words, people who can't afford to pay the token for water supply can also explore other alternatives like ; Rain, Stream, River,

Roads are only tolled if there's an alternate route. In other words, you are paying for a convenience that is fundamentally not necessary to achieve your goal.

I see that you still fail to see the fundamental responsibilities of a government! Based on your argument, why should the government provide any services at all?
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Tobiustobius: 6:33pm On Jun 19, 2013
SimonAndal: Dafuq is "potable" water?

Water that is safe enough to be consumed by humans.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 19, 2013
People whose houses are connected to public water have always been paying for it. Madam! no need to beat around the bush, increase the water rate if that's what you're implying, but keep the water flowing.
Just don't ask me to pay rates for using water from the bore-hole i sinked with my own money.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by ndigbo: 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
While reading, I was like is this woman for real ?
Cause water has never been free. People whom are not connected to water corperation grid pay to those connected.

I also stand to be corrected nobody has asked the government to give us portable water for free.

These people tend to lose touch of reality whenever they assume public positions embarassed
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by mkoabiola: 9:16pm On Jun 19, 2013
If water cannot be provided 4free.
So wat else can b 4 free.
Sycophant n clueless minister in power.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Confusion: 9:19pm On Jun 19, 2013
I think I have heard something like this b4, David mark said telephone is not for everyone but alas
Why are our leaders so myopic
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by omanzo02: 9:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
Dr Muzungu: Even in well developed Europe, potable water is not free. But, it is cheap and available to everyone. For instance, 1000 litres (one cubic meter) costs me just over 100 naira (equivalent) back at home.

Depends where u are in europe, some places are costlier.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Guguru102(m): 10:35pm On Jun 19, 2013
Thank God,Air is Free....It's possible to Loot the Country Dry but Impossible to Provide basic Necessity(Water) to the Populace....God will Judge and we will decide come 2015.....Fresh air till 2015...
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Guguru102(m): 10:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
@Aciddose or whatever you are called...
If a fool is in Government,he thinks blindly,because he has access to what an average man on the street are paying for,so the rationale behind the ruse you fabricated...No be by force den dey make comment...One way thinkers...
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Guguru102(m): 10:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
@Aciddose or whatever you are called...
If a fool is in Government,he thinks blindly,because she has access to what an average man on the street are paying for,so the rationale behind the ruse you fabricated...No be by force den dey comment...
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by subnormal: 11:27pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis:

What is this?

When and how do I support bad governance??

All I'm saying is, we shouldn't expect free things at all times!

Am not sure u know this but water has never been free, people connected to the government supply have always been required to pay the water corporation for services rendered - and therein lies the problem. if you render no service you should not expect to get paid. What the minister need to do is ensure the water gets to the ordinary Nigerian, increase the rates (just a lil)and improve the process of collecting rates
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by MistadeRegal(m): 5:12am On Jun 20, 2013
If she can't do her job, let her resign! Simple!! Why should I seek permission from negligent government before getting a source of water a so called government refuses to provide? If that be the case everyone in my community would have died long ago of drought!
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by olujimi1: 5:38am On Jun 20, 2013
Smh, so she's trying to say no other person living under the sun can come up with a solution because she can't abi....she should just resign already. FG is just wasting money on her salary.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Lebee4(m): 9:37am On Jun 20, 2013
texanomaly: I agree that it is the responsibility of government to uphold human rights, but you still did not address where the money would come from. Simply making the rich pay more is not likely to amass enough revue to ally the cost of production. The government can certainly subsidize a portion of this, but if you want anyone to listen to you, you must have a plan to make your suggestion feasible. Simply saying, "this is what they should do" and not presenting a plan to make it happen, will not produce results. Where will the money come from? Yes the government should help those who can not afford it, but simply stating that will not make it happen. What is your plan?

pls, where do you work?
how much will it cost the federation to do aa these things.
low budgetry allocations but she still able to cut corners from the little allocation. we pay for water in d 80s n early 90s, where do those money came from? I can never support the FG in anything against our wefare.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Lebee4(m): 9:45am On Jun 20, 2013
i've always have this feelings that all our leaders are dull, no wonder the Bible say we should pray for them.
Just thinking how this woman children will feel when this woman speak like a failure she is.
how can a whole minister say things, I àm disappointed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015: INEC To Create 30,000 Additional Polling Units. / Nigeria Will Divide / Father Mbaka Identifies Key Suspects In Plot To Kill Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.