Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,343 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege (16682 Views)

Presidency Denies Placing Tinubu Under Security Watch / Tinubu Under Security Watch Over Alleged Plot Against Buhari / Atiku, Baraje, Others Under Security Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 18, 2013
First Lady’s visit: Port Harcourt residents groan under security siege

Residents of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, are groaning under a security seige that resulted in heavy gridlock and unusual presence of scores heavilyarmed police. The situation followed the visit of the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, as her aides and associates stormed the city.

On Saturday, residents woke up to the presence of roadblocks and diversions, especially in the GRA where even residents were now scrutinised before being allowed to enter the area.

To underscore the high level security operation surrounding the First Lady’s visit, Armoured Personnel Carriers, APC, have been stationed at both ends of Bauchi Street where her palatial mansion is located along with machine gun positions complete with sandbag walls and scores of mobile policemen on guard.

The president’s wife is expected to stay in the state for 11 days. National Mirror learnt that even the River State governor, Rotimi Amaechi, has been caught up in the security lockdown and he was unable to attend a wedding on Saturday.

It was learnt that by the time the governor was ready to go out, the road leading to the Government House had been blocked, while the rear entrance which is close to the First Lady’s mansion was also shut to traffic.

One of the governor’s aides, who was contacted by telephone yesterday said: “The road was not opened until noon and by the time His Excellency arrived at the venue, the wedding was over.”

The First Lady had attended the wedding ceremony of one of her aides, who is also a member of the House of Assembly, Evans ‘Bibi’ Bapakaye, at the Civic Centre in Port Harcourt and traffic was hectic as there were marked diversions around the Isaac Boro Park, Marine Base, Station Road, Hospital Road, Bereka Street and Moscow Road within the old city.

All these roads are the major highways connecting the State Secretariat and the Downtown of the city to the other areas of the metropolitan city and they serve as the hub for vehicular and human movements in the city.

Disruption of traffic flow in the areas always leads to a punishing gridlock, which was exactly what happened on Saturday. Cars were not allowed near these areas and residents walked for hours to reach various destinations. Journalists, who covered the assignments have to make use of hotels and cybercafés around the area to file their stories as traffic was still hectic until around 9p.m.

Even though the First Lady has not been involved in any serious official business since Saturday, there is still heavy security presence in the city, with a lot of diversions still causing heavy traffic jams around the GRA areas where she resides.

To press home the importance of her visit to the state, Divisional Police Officers were directed to personally take charge of traffic in their divisions, while all vacations among police officers in the state have been cancelled or put on hold until the departure of the President’s wife.

A DPO, who spoke with National Mirror on condition of anonymity, said most of the security personnel in the state are engaged in ensuring the safety of the First Lady as it is the priority assignment in the state now.

“We can’t go on leave or vacation now and we have all been ordered to personally supervise traffic and security operations in our various formations. We understand she will be around for 11 days, that means another seven more days,” he said.

Investigations by National Mirror, revealed that the First Lady will be commissioning the South- South Zonal Office of her Pet Project, ‘Women for Change and Development Initiative’, while she is also billed to be involved in the burial of her grandfather, slated for the coming weekend. Some Port Harcourt residents expressed disgust at the huge inconveniences the visit was causing especially since her stay will be prolonged.

“How long are we going to cope with all these problems now? We thought she was only going to be here for the weekend only for us to get to the Azikwe end of the road and still meet heavily-armed policemen, on getting to Isaac Boro park, we were turned back by stern-looking policemen again,” Egi Dombraye, a businessman in the state lamented

Source
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 18, 2013
Wetin person no go hear, all these protocol for an ordinary citizen, well na them Oyel money. Enjoy it while it lasts but don't forget how long it took the SS to get to Aso Rock.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by otokx(m): 10:48am On Jun 18, 2013
wickedness of our leaders.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by dirifred(m): 12:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
I live in PHC, work in GRA. how come i did not see this? there are only two major roads in PHC,Aba road and Ikwere road, this two road are always having trafic congestion everyday. the visit of the first lady may have increased the congestion but its not far from our normal day to day congestion.

23 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by dirifred(m): 12:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
otokx: wickedness of our leaders.
My dear, Don't swallow everything you see on NL, they can be made up just to get the kind of reaction you are giving now

3 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by KGB2008: 12:40pm On Jun 18, 2013
ok.Also post a topic that Lagos groan over the Death of Tinubu Mother.Market has been shut down.

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by FrankC3: 12:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
How come Lagosians mostly groan under this kind of traffic congestion that is happening in Rivers State?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
dirifred: I live in PHC, work in GRA. how come i did not see this? there are only two major roads in PHC,Aba road and Ikwere road, this two road are always having trafic congestion everyday. the visit of the first lady may have increased the congestion but its not far from our normal day to day congestion.

Perhaps it simple the case that others see things you don't see grin
Here is another account from a different newspaper.

First Lady's Rivers Visit Shuts out GRA Residents

Residents of the Old Government Reservation Area (GRA) in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, have cried out over the inconveniences they have been suffering since the First Lady, Patience Jonathan, arrived the state last Friday.

Since Mrs. Jonathan arrived in the city, there has been massive security around her private residence at Bauchi Street, Old GRA.

All the adjoining streets had been condoned off, while an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) is stationed at the entrance of Bauchi Street.

Security personnel have also set up surface bunkers in the adjoining streets, while pedestrian and vehicular traffic are restricted into the adjoining streets.

Yesterday, for instance, vehicles going into the GRA from Amadi Flat area were diverted into Aba Road or were forced to make use of the few streets allowed.
This caused a massive traffic gridlock, as the few open streets in the neighbourhood were under reconstruction.

However, despite the security presence, Port Harcourt Primary School, located at the entrance to Bauchi Street, was open Monday, as teachers and pupils were allowed into the school for normal activities.

But a female teacher, who would not want to be named, told THISDAY that while the security operatives were very polite, their presence was a distraction to the pupil.
“The policemen and other security personnel here have been very polite. They did not harass us, but their presence was a huge distraction to the pupils,” she said.

She said it was also difficult for teachers, who had cars to drive into the school.
“Our cars were thoroughly searched. We were also screened and frisked before we were allowed into the school,” she said.
A resident of the area, who simply gave his name as Chief Kalio, said movement of members of his family had been impaired since last week by the security.

“My son, this is unusual. I cannot move freely even when they know I live here. The situation is frustrating,” he said.

On his part, Johnson Peterside, a driver, also lamented that the heavy security presence had put him under tremendous stress.

He said the owner of the taxi he drives lives around the area and that the security build-up in the area had made it difficult for him to collect and return the vehicle from the residence of the owner.

Meanwhile, the residence of the First Lady had become a Mecca of sorts for top politicians of the state, especially those opposed to the state governor, Chibuike Amaechi.

There were speculations that the visit of the first lady would further galvanise efforts to woo members of the State House of Assembly to back the bid to impeach the governor.

Source

1 Like

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 18, 2013
I am fond of Madam first lady o!

But can somebody tell me what is the benefit of her visit?

Is all the disruption caused worth it?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by effisyman: 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2013
sey na like this he go dey go?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Celepope: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
I thought there was a thread last week that said she relocated to the Port Harcourt last week in order to perfect the Impeachment of Gov.Amaechi?Does that mean anytime she comes out from the Multi=Billion naira mansion they claimed she was staying automatically there will be traffic?.Dirty politics of baseless propaganda are too much in Nigeria especially by the opposition

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2013
i detest this kinda news, the issue has been taken too far. Just a dirty game by politicians. The whole Ameachi, Gej, patience, and NGF saga is just a whole bunch of mess*spits with disdain*
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by dridowu: 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2013
Madam de madam...............rumors have it da impeachment of amaechi is around d corners
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by enobong18: 4:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
What of the masses, any hope on security level?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Okijajuju1(m): 4:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
I was in port harcourt over the weekend and witnessed the inconvieniennce this woman was causing the state.

They block the roads 30 minutes before she even passes..

her convoy on Saturday was 67 cars long... I counted.

Forces avenue was blocked off and traffic diverted ..

It was very irritating..

11 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by dulphines: 4:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
I was in GRA that day. Didn't see anything. The roads were very free as i cruised around but the TIMAdogs(TIMARIV)was around harassing motorist.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Pataki: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
This bloated hippotamus of a woman does not just know when to sit still. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Gee001: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
I trek die on saturday just 2 attend a wedding. Mtchew. A man was just shouting "abeg make una allow people pass, abi na Jesus Christ!?" i just wonder how Jonathan's own will be. May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Celepope: 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Perhaps it simple the case that others see things you don't see grin
Here is another account from a different newspaper.

Source
All Naija Newspapers and blogs are all copy and paste
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by abifoluwa: 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2013
i have been reading all about her for the past few days, why is she making negative news in the headlines? what is wrong with her? didn't she just returned from heaven? why can't she just rest at home until her maker calls her back? wth?

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by slimfit1(m): 4:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
Imagine how people in Lagos feel when this illiterate block those tiny Lagos roads. Even marriam Babangida didn't go this far.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by enobong18: 4:37pm On Jun 18, 2013
Okija_juju: I was in port harcourt over the weekend and witnessed the inconvieniennce this woman was causing the state.

It was very irritating..

Just for a woman who can't speak english?
Who said 9ja go better?

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
Okija_juju: I was in port harcourt over the weekend and witnessed the inconvieniennce this woman was causing the state.

It was very irritating..

Such obscenities, huh? Like the peacock with no regard for the forest on fire, our first lady rolls into town with a 67-car convoy? shocked

By the way, does anyone know if she has recovered her stolen properties yet?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by mascot87(m): 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
It is well Nigerians,a day is coming when one stone will NOT be left on another and the rest is history.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 18, 2013
Cele-pope:

All Naija Newspapers and blogs are all copy and paste

If this view suits your conscience, desist from reading them. cheesy
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by lacasa: 4:40pm On Jun 18, 2013
It's funny, Cos she wasn't even voted-for in an election, she doesn't have a public constitutionally recognised office, neither is she an appointed Public/govt officer.

Na wife to president She just be, wey sanction all this demo gringringrin

#.. This nonsense dares not happen in an educated/modern country, its Only in the Animal republic aka Nigeria gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 18, 2013
Relax, is no BIG DEAL.... Is all part of security procedures and it doesn't happen in naija only.
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 18, 2013
No worries, in 2015 she go carry her fishing rods back to bayelsa

Foolish irritating hippo

1 Like

Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by gluv01(f): 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
undecided
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Reyspin(m): 4:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
Now we no know which story be true naw..... Any Unbiased/Neutral pessin in Port Harcourt?
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by gennysq(f): 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2013
And all dese r happening cus 1 person doesnt want τ̅☺ die....... As if it guarantees Life! Mstchewwww
Re: Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:49pm On Jun 18, 2013

It was very irritating..
From my house to office and back na wetin I dey do now, see even policeman with blue uniform and walkie talkie dey control traffic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Signs Condolence Book Of Ocholi At FEC Meeting (Photos) / Group To Stage Sit-out At Abuja House In London, To Demand Buhari’s Return / Buhari’s Integrity Is A Fraud - Lamido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.