Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Sunburn, Food And The Nigerian - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sunburn, Food And The Nigerian (1483 Views)

Pic: Eat Junk Food And Get Food Junkie(viewer's Discretion) / Help Needed!!! Home Remedy For Sunburn(ligthen Skin W/o Bleeching) / What's The Relationship Between Food And Exercise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sunburn, Food And The Nigerian by eobaoja: 12:10pm On Jun 18, 2013
A few weeks ago I noticed the side of my face had grown a few shades darker and that it was painful to touch. On a typical day I wouldn’t have spared it a second thought and wouldn’t even realize when it heals but not anymore. Why then did i notice? Is there someone new. Don’t keep asking questions, just scroll down and get educated, I did a little research and turned over the info below.Enjoy!

The Sun in this part of the world is potent enough to boil eggs (or brains) yet most Nigerians do not pay sufficient attention to the parts of their bodies directly exposed to sun rays. Continuous exposure to sun rays can result in Sunburns and yes we get it. Sunburn is not a condition that plagues white people as most black people are led to believe (click here and here for more information). Sun burns are red (mine wasn’t red, must be because I’m black), painful skin that feels hot to the touch; it usually appears within a few hours after sun exposure and may take several days or longer to fade. Sunburn increases the risk of certain complications and related skin diseases these includes but is not limited to; dry, wrinkled skin, liver spots, melanoma and skin cancer.

The most popular preventive method against Sunburns is by using sun screens which is contained in several brands of body creams but seeing as a good number of men do not use body cream (as they do not have or are afraid to use their lady’s own for fear of loosing their skin. Bleaching! holla) so I decided to focus my research on dietary factors that play a major preventive role.

Food can influence susceptibility to sunburn, recovery from sunburn, and risk of secondary complications from sunburn. Below is a list of top rated food that serves perfectly in this capacity;

Potatoes
Overindulging in potatoes may be a no-no if you’re trying to lose weight, but keep a few on hand in case a sunburn strikes. The potato’s starchy compounds will help take the sting out of sunburn.

How: Cut a raw potato into slices and rub a piece on your most painful sunburned spots. For a more intensive treatment, grate a cold raw potato and apply it as a poultice. whole-and-sliced-raw-potatoes

OATMEAL

When your whole body is sunburned, oatmeal provides the best type of relief. I would rather eat it though than waste it on my face.

How: Grind up a cup of oatmeal in a food processor, add it to cool bathwater, and soak. You can also wrap dry oatmeal in cheesecloth or gauze, run cool water through it, and then toss the oatmeal and soak compresses in the liquid, applying every 2 to 4 hours

Click the link to read more http://blog.obaoja.com/sunburn-food-and-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

#Ebolaoutbreak: Open Letter To Patrick Sawyer’s Wife, Decontee Sawyer / What You Should Eat In Order To Make Your Vagina Smell Good And Keep It Clean / Eating Pineapple Kills Worms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.