Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,099 members, 7,818,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion (21497 Views)

Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion / Lauryn Hill Jailed For Tax Evasion! / Genevieve Nnaji At A Party For Dolce & Gabbana In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by mukina2: 6:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
Fashion design duo Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana were on Wednesday handed a suspended prison sentence of one year and eight months for hiding hundreds of millions of euros from the tax authorities.

The designers, who are nearly as famous as the stars they dress, were not present in court in Milan and have denied the charges. Given the complexity and length of the appeals process, they are unlikely to spend any time in jail.

Public prosecutor Gaetano Ruta had asked for two and a half years. The judge gave them a suspended sentence.

A company spokesman declined to make an immediate comment.

The success of Dolce and Gabbana's sexy corset dresses and sharply tailored suits favored by celebrities like Kylie Minogue, Kate Moss and Bryan Ferry have earned them a glamorous lifestyle.

They hosted friend and client Madonna for her birthday in 2009 at their villa perched above the chic boating resort of Portofino.

The case dates back to an investigation that began in 2008, when authorities unleashed a tax avoidance crackdown as the financial crisis began to bite. But the probe that ensnared the two designers is one of the few high-profile cases to come to trial so far.

The judge on Wednesday ruled that the pair sold their brand to Luxembourg-based holding company Gado in 2004 to avoid declaring taxes on royalties of about 1 billion euros ($1.3 billion).

The pair's flamboyant designs are inspired by the sultry southern Italian island of Sicily, where Dolce was born in 1958. He met Gabbana, now 50, in the latter's home town of Milan, where they showed their first collection in 1985. The brand took hold internationally in the 1990s and global revenues hit just under 1.5 billion euros in 2011.

The pair have always said they are innocent.

"Everyone knows that we haven't done anything," Gabbana tweeted in June 2012 after the trial was ordered.

But Gabbana's only reaction so far on Wednesday was to tweet a close up photograph of the branch of a colorful citrus tree, just seconds after the verdict.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/19/us-dolcegabbana-verdict-idUSBRE95I10F20130619?feedName=businessNews&feedType=RSS
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 19, 2013
WELL DAYUMMM. I GUESS NO MO D & G BAFFS
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by pekelepekele(m): 6:36pm On Jun 19, 2013
Billionaire going to prison is like going to a motel , they'll drink ,eat anything , sleep with female prison official and prisoners till they serve their term

6 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by funmemezy: 6:37pm On Jun 19, 2013
Haa o ga o

1 Like

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by omodapson(m): 6:38pm On Jun 19, 2013
Good luck to them.
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Policewoman(f): 6:38pm On Jun 19, 2013

1 Like

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 19, 2013
THANK GOD I DONT WEAR DESIGNERS. I KNOW THEY FROM PRISONERS AND FOR PRISONERS tongue tongue tongue
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2013
I don't like news about billionaires evading tax. ____________________
Last Bullet: If they are guilty, what comes to my mind is: Shebi dem get d money. Why dem no wan pay?

5 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by autobay: 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
So Messi is going to prison very soon too.
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by AlterEgoTM: 6:44pm On Jun 19, 2013
When they are not even gon' spend a minute behind any prison's wall undecided

This is just a futile charade! undecided

But just in case they eventually will be going to jail, send them to Turin! angry
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by gluv01(f): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
I just watched the news now, they've been sentenced but it unlikely that they will serve the full jail term because it will affect their business. But they will serve anyway.

1 Like

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by SELFWORTH: 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
Rubbish news about rubbish people!
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by frodobee: 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
torhuke: THANK GOD I DONT WEAR DESIGNERS. I KNOW THEY FROM PRISONERS AND FOR PRISONERS tongue tongue tongue

No beefs, but i pity you. If you know what quality and quality pleasure means, you will retract that statement. Your chinko dresses from child labourers seems better abi?
Am only angry my designer baffs might soon be scarce, but trust me nah? There will always be a way out.
#teamdesignersD&G

1 Like

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by cold(m): 6:51pm On Jun 19, 2013
gluv01: I just watched the news now, they've been sentenced but it unlikely that they will serve the full jail term because it will affect their business. But they will serve anyway.
They will not serve.It's a suspended sentence.A suspended sentence is a legal term for a judge's delaying of a defendant's serving of a sentence after they have been found guilty, in order to allow the defendant to perform a period of probation. If the defendant does not break the law during that period, and fulfills the particular conditions of the probation, the judge usually throws out the sentence

4 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
--

2 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Seun(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2013
Who is Dolce?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by cold(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2013
Seun: Who is Dolce?
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by dridowu: 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2013
*singing in wizkid voice* wearing dolce and gabbana dnt dull
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by verbes123: 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2013
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by frabel: 6:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
The Sicilians; Trust them, morden day mafians.
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by BlackPeni5: 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2013

Too much book is not good.

5 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Ajibel(m): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
Why would the rich evade tax?
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by supaeagles(m): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
"suspended prison sentence"
house arrest?? Or build their own designer D&G prison cell grin
PS: I have read the explanations (reference @cold) - just having fun
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Ajibel(m): 7:00pm On Jun 19, 2013

Did someone hack my oga acct ni embarassed
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Ishilove: 7:03pm On Jun 19, 2013
GEJ's ex-Minister of Gari Affairs cool

5 Likes

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Ishilove: 7:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
Black Peni5:

Too much book is not good.
grin grin
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Freiburger(m): 7:05pm On Jun 19, 2013
shocked shocked cool Thats Mr D&G
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by abduldope(m): 7:10pm On Jun 19, 2013
--
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by Brimmie(m): 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
--
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by IAMBREEZY: 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
But this people re damn rich...

1 Like

Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by 3ace(m): 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
This is why I like dis oyinbo people. They always uphold their law at all time no matter who you are. Like someone just remarked, yes Messi will go to jail if found guilty. But back home, once you know the high and mighty, you become untouchable. Na only poor man them do law for for Naija. Jerry Rawlins don even talk am recently wen dem invite am for one seminar as a speaker for Abuja.
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Prison For Tax Evasion by landinfo: 7:13pm On Jun 19, 2013
autobay: So Messi is going to prison very soon too.

sorry don't think so
@op
it is rare 4 billionaires to go to jail as regardz tax evasion xcept 4 fraud cases
cold:
They will not serve.It's a suspended sentence.A suspended sentence is a legal term for a judge's delaying of a defendant's serving of a sentence after they have been found guilty, in order to allow the defendant to perform a period of probation. If the defendant does not break the law during that period, and fulfills the particular conditions of the probation, the judge usually throws out the sentence
luvli

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bisola And Chizzy Alichi Cover House Of Maliq Magazine / Agbani Darego Flaunts Her AD Denim Line / Singer Ruger Parts Ways With Jonzing World, Floats Own Label

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.