Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest (9305 Views)

Soldiers Conveying Foodstuff To Troops Ambushed By Boko Haram Men, 2 Killed / Boko Haram Members Surrender To Troops As They Rescue More Villagers .. Photos / President Jonathan Rocks Military Uniform During Visits To troops In Mubi (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 20, 2013
Govt rushes food to suffering Nigerian troop in Mali as Army General threatens to arrest PREMIUM TIMES reporter

The Federal government has today hurried food to Nigerian troop in Mali twenty-four hours after this newspaper reported that the 873-man contingent were being poorly fed and had not been paid allowances in the last three months.

Defence sources in Abuja and Lagos told PREMIUM TIMES Wednesday that the defence headquarters was terribly embarrassed by the report and immediately ordered that food be flown to the troop, which is in Mali as part of the Africa-led International Support Mission to Mali (AFISMA) to fight Islamic insurgents.

“I can confirm to you that several bags of rice and palm oil were flown to Mali today,” one of our sources said. “I’m also told by colleagues in charge that more food will be taken there in the following days.”

Our source however said the soldiers’ three-month arrears of allowances had not been settled.

“Most of the soldiers are broke,”the source said. “Some of them have been calling home asking colleagues and family members to send them money.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has threatened to arrest a PREMIUM TIMES reporter who has worked on a series of articles on the hardship our soldiers are facing in Mali.

The reporter had telephoned commanding officer, Colonel T. E Gagariga, in Mali to get his reaction to the story published on Tuesday.

But shortly after his call to Colonel Gagariga, a certain Major General Ugor telephoned him to say he must disclose his sources for the series of stories he had done on the troop.

“He said I should disclose my sources to him and that he would arrest me if I failed to do so,” said reporter Nicholas Ibekwe. “Of course, I refused. And I’m not sure what his plans are at the moment.”

PREMIUM TIMES had reported Tuesday that there was no respite in sight for soldiers who have suffered untold hardship and total neglect since their arrival in Mali.

The report said the 873-man contingent was being poorly fed and owed three-month allowances.

“They are struggling to remain in Mali,” a defence source had said. “They are not being fed good food. They have been eating plain boiled spaghetti twice daily without condiments.”

But when contacted, the commander of the 333 Artillery Regiment, codenamed NIBATT 1, said claims of hardship and low morale by troop were untrue.

“All that is pure lie,” Col. Gagariga said. “We are doing our very best in every circumstance. My soldiers are of high morale.”

PREMIUM TIMES had four months ago exclusively reported the abysmal condition of the troops and the lack of morale caused by the absence of logistics and basic provisions. But defence authorities denied, saying the soldiers were well taken care of.

Source
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 20, 2013
Premium Times is right after all! smh for Federal Government and the Nigerian Army cry

Did i hear FAO give Federal Government award for eradicating hunger in Nigeria? SMH... cry

8 Likes

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by EkoAtlantic: 12:03pm On Jun 20, 2013
Good one from Premium times for alerting the slow and non-thinking federal government.
This is what the press should've been doing for years.

Channels TV also did something similar months ago about the police academy in Lagos. They need to keep it up.
If at all the top government is not reasonable enough to know and do what's right, the media should point it out and the opposition showing them the way it's done.

5 Likes

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Garrithe1st: 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2013
cheesy cheesy

Where is Ikeangwo to come and discredit Premium Times??

1 Like

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Dracula27: 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
Make nobody touch that reporter ooo hmmmmm!!
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2013
Why bags of rice instead of garri?

2 Likes

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by chasitty123: 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2013
Who won the contract?
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by icedpope(m): 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2013
Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..[s]Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..[/s]Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 20, 2013
And this is suppose to be a news? Lol
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2013
icedpope: Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..[s]Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..[/s]Hope say fufu dey inside o... Coz dats our trademark..

Nice lyrics
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by sambos994(m): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2013

1 Like

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by mysticgal(f): 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2013
No food,smh and fg will encourage them to fight,i no doundecided
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
So...that report was true.
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Adex097: 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
sambos994: Oh yea, they look hungry.....

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2013/06/na-landcruiser-gun-trucks.jpg?w=640[/img]

Yea they need to be hungry cos an hungry man is an angry man.
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by DICKtator: 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
Hopefully,Garri and Cassava bread
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ikengawo: 3:58pm On Jun 20, 2013
berem: Premium Times is right after all! smh for Federal Government and the Nigerian Army cry

Did i hear FAO give Federal Government award for eradicating hunger in Nigeria? SMH... cry

so all it took was a second premium times article for you to validate the truth of the first premium times article?

2 Likes

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2013
Despite what we learnt of our troops starving already? Unless they have been paid or else this is trash.
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ariyke: 4:03pm On Jun 20, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by onitshaigbo(m): 4:06pm On Jun 20, 2013
Whoever is responsible for this fiasco should be executed. Imagine in a real war, our soldiers don't even have food, talkless of bullets and other supplies.
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ikengawo: 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
Premium times is an agency of lies, the troops are feed and have money.
GEJ is destroying terrorism in west africa as a whole.
Boko Haram is silent
the Malian rebels with the help of our allies are silent
and our soldiers are out here risking their lives for the bastards at Premium times to be calling the hungry beggars. What a sickening gossip blog

3 Likes

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
Oh yeah, they look hungry...

Funny, back water nigerian reporters. Cook up a story from out of thing air, immediately make up nother cooked up story and claim your life is in danger.

News reporting nigerian style

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by otokx(m): 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2013
See good roads.

1 Like

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ikengawo: 4:16pm On Jun 20, 2013
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by sambos994(m): 4:16pm On Jun 20, 2013
These reporters are very funny....

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 20, 2013
pay them their salaries jor. some of them have to send upkeep down here.
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by sambos994(m): 4:19pm On Jun 20, 2013
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ikengawo: 4:21pm On Jun 20, 2013
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 20, 2013
is dis not the same premium times that gave the report of CBN gov's office?

I just hope a [size=25pt]"MYSTERIOUS FIRE"[/size] won't suddenly burn their office in the wake of all this exclusive reports lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Ikengawo: 4:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
[size=15pt]THEY'RE SO HUNGRY[/size]
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by iphy42: 4:26pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ikengawo: Premium times is an agency of lies, the troops are feed and have money.
GEJ is destroying terrorism in west africa as a whole.
Boko Haram is silent
the Malian rebels with the help of our allies are silent
and our soldiers are out here risking their lives for the bastards at Premium times to be calling the hungry beggars. What a sickening gossip blog

So all these boko haram attacks in recent times even after the SOE have eluded you? Too bad
Re: FG Sends Food To Troops In Mali, PT Reporter Threatened With Arrest by Capnd143(m): 4:26pm On Jun 20, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source
this is a big lie from premium times again! Oh my GOD! The govt sent a 9O6 man recuperation force to Mali to relieve the already stationed soldiers, 2 days ago, so i dnt see why the would also sent food which was sent along side the deployed troops. Some nairalanders are just 2 gullible

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kashamu To Distribute Rams, Motorcycles In Ogun / Troops Neutralize 13 Insurgents In Kangarwa / Obiano: Why I Attracted FG's Delegation To Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.