Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? (2352 Views)

How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? / Dead Man Wakes Up After Three Days / I Dont Love Him. But He Said He Heard From God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by DrummaBoy(m): 7:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
I am enjoying the religious forum more these days as I am finding light on thorny theological issues more in here than elsewhere (after the bible, ofcourse).

I am calling the house to help out with the above theses: Did Jesus spend Three days and three nights in the grave as he said he will?

I came across a pamphlet once (can't remember those who authored it) that proved that Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday. The following Thursday was a high day and a Sabbath (that is confused with Saturday, today), that he remained in the grave until Saturday evening when he rose up. Then appeared to the disciples early Sunday morning.

The good Friday crucifixion does not add up. That will make him remaining in the grave for two nights and one day, if he is to be believed to rise up Sunday morning.

I buy the Wednesday crucifixion and Saturday resurrection. What do U think?

If we can answer this we may be able to uncover more truth lost to church dogmas.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by ckkris: 7:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
YES ! Anyone that STUDIES the Bible will see that Jesus was crucified, but not on a Friday. Thanks for this important thread.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by ayoku777(m): 9:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thanks drummaboy for this, I've always noticed it too, but kept my views to myself coz I don't like dividing the body of Christ on doctrines that don't necessarily affect the genuity salvation. But its true, if Jesus was buried on friday evening according to the catholical injunction, then his resurrection on sunday morning couldn't have been a complete three days and night in the belly of the earth. It would have made it like two nights and a day.

Jesus promised to spend three days and nights in the belly of the earth just like Jonah did in the belly of the fish. If Jesus rose on Sunday
morning, then for it to make a complete three days and night, his burial must needs be put at thursday morning, which will also not be true coz Jesus was buried in the evening according to the bible. So scripturally, the correct time for his crucifiction is wednesday afternoon and his burial is wednesday evening, that would put his resurrection on saturday evening and then He appeared to Mary and his apostles on sunday morning, to make a complete three days and night in the belly of the earth.

I think its time to get back to the scriptures and let it form our doctrines instead of just doing things coz that's how we met them. This is the same debacle we are facing with other doctrines, like works, tithes etc. The church is rising from the dust of traditions of men according to the prophecy of scripture and the time for the restitution of all things, as Peter said, is at hand, and God is raising a remnant to challenge the status quo, that have kept us in bondage and powerlessness. Be blessed.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:55pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thanks Ayoku and ckkris for the contribution

@Ayoku, its nice to see U back to NL. I agree that doctrines of little importance need not be issues in Christ body but this one may lead to finding out others.

I actually was hoping I could find someone here who has a write up along those lines or anyone who'd seen the pamphlets I saw (that was over 10 yrs ago).

Jesus would not say somethings and do somethings else and these are the reasons those without use to say Christianity contradicts itself. Thank God, so far, we are agreed on the issue.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by ckkris: 6:57am On Jun 22, 2013
TheTRUTH sets people FREE. Friday crucifixion is a lie, and so can never possess the Resurrection Power of Acts 1:8.
Whoever RECEIVES the understanding, that Mathew 12:40 is the perfect fulfillment of Isaiah 53:1-12, also has the responsibility to teach this empowering TRUTH. Unless the person is afraid of persecutions that always follow all correct teachings.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by DrummaBoy(m): 10:56am On Jun 22, 2013
^Word!
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by Jacob321: 3:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
3 Days and 3 Nights
Jesus rose very early on Monday Morning.
The resurrection trumpet is the Bible.........the sound of the trumpet is the content of the Bible.

A very thorough bible study about Jesus being three days and three nights in the grave.
The common belief that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday cannot be true if Jesus was three whole nights and three whole days in the grave. At the most it comes to one day plus part of a day and one night plus part of a night. The Sunday sunrise had not happened when the women came to the tomb because they came "while it was still dark" (John 20:1).

And he strictly warned them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing; (LUKE 9:21)
And be raised the third day. (LUKE 9:22)
And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. (LUKE 18:33)
A very thorough bible study about Jesus being three days and three nights in the grave.

Luke 24:1
Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three night in the whale's belly: so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

Jonah 1:17
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

They saw GOD in Ex 24:11.
The dead body of the first man GOD is looking for on Planet Earth is John the Baptist: Matt 14:12.
Cornerstone of the Bible: Matt 14:21
Cornerstone of the Bible are the people (Men) who will first arise with Jesus.

Aaron died age 123.
The word of the LORD came unto Jonah the 2nd time in Jonah 3:1
The storm was temptous, so much that it cannot be quickly described, the consensus was to throw Jonah into the sea so that they could live. Jonah had refused the errand GOD sent him to deliver.
The word of the LORD came unto Jonah the 2nd time in Jonah 3:1
Aaron died age 123.

Resurrection is the key thing in the Christian Faith.
Resurrection is the cornerstone of the Christian race
Now, if you want to remove the doctrine of resurrection from the Bible, there is nothing else that will be left in the Christian Faith. It's the ''Resurrection of Jesus'' that set a universal clock.
It's the ''Resurrection of Jesus'' that GOD used to bring everybody that mattered ''at that time'' into one location and thereafter: GOD set his clock.
Cornerstone of the Bible: Matt 14:21
Cornerstone of the Bible are the people (Men) who will first arise with Jesus.

Mario Livio, a senior astrophysicist at the Space Telescope Science Institute and author of ''Is God A Mathematician''
The dead body of the first man GOD is looking for on Planet Earth is John the Baptist: Matt 14:12.
The dead body of GOD (Matt 14:21) are the men found in this singular Bible verse.

John 21:14
This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

2 Sam 24:11
For when David was up in the morning, the word of the LORD came unto the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying,

Thanks for now
I can answer more of your questions.......so the conversation can continue!
Tomi Ademola
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by noblefada: 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
@Op very interesting topic and very technical. Jesus did not die on Friday or Wednesday but on Thursday evening. I'll try n explain with scriptures.
First of all the Sabbath day for the Jews was Saturday. And again apart from the coming Sabbath they also had a feast they were to celebrate that same weekend. Now no work was permitted on the Sabbath day so preparation were done the day before.
This account can seen in the following passages Mark 15:42, John 19:14-42; Mathew 27:57-62 & Luke 23:53. Now an unclean man is not suppose to eat the feast and its a minimum of a day to be cleanse, so everyone had to be clean atleast 2 days b4 the feast hence the Pharisees did not enter the judgement hall in John 18:28. The evidence in scriptures that its not Friday is found in Mat 27:57-62 UKJV
57: When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
58: He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
59: And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
60: And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb, and departed.
61: And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting opposite to the tomb.
62: Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Notice vs 62, that the Pharisees went to pilate the next day which was Friday and couldn't be Saturday the Sabbath day. So Jesus stayed 3 days & 3 nites, Thur, Fri & Sat and resurrected on Sunday morning. Shalom
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks noble and jacob. I hope your contributions will help the discuss
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by Jacob321: 3:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
Ok DrummaBoy.............good to hear
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by Image123(m): 10:48pm On Jul 31, 2013
DrummaBoy: I am enjoying the religious forum more these days as I am finding light on thorny theological issues more in here than elsewhere (after the bible, ofcourse).

I am calling the house to help out with the above theses: Did Jesus spend Three days and three nights in the grave as he said he will?

I came across a pamphlet once (can't remember those who authored it) that proved that Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday. The following Thursday was a high day and a Sabbath (that is confused with Saturday, today), that he remained in the grave until Saturday evening when he rose up. Then appeared to the disciples early Sunday morning.

The good Friday crucifixion does not add up. That will make him remaining in the grave for two nights and one day, if he is to be believed to rise up Sunday morning.

If we can answer this we may be able to uncover more truth lost to church dogmas.

Thanks in advance.

First and foremost, it is to be stated that a social forum is not exactly one of God's primary ways of giving light on thorny theological issues. the primary is stated below.
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

It borders on pride to be unteachable by the people whom God has given us as our primary ministers. Howbeit, to your question, in the hope that you have not already rejected the answer before reading it, as is common of followers of men.
Did Jesus spend Three days and three nights in the grave as he said he will? Here is what Jesus said,
Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The question then should be, how was Jonah three days and three nights in the whale's belly? Is it how we understand it today to be 72 exact hours? Was Jesus exactly in the 'heart of the earth', wherever that is? Has the whole church from the early christians till date been so dull and blinded to common sense as not to see this new discovery that perhaps Jesus died on Tuesday or Wednesday? The way its going, i'll not be surprised if someone runs along telling us to forsake church tradition that tells us that Jesus died on a cross, all in the name of liberty.

If we find ourselves so lazy as to study the scriptures indeed, whether these things are so, have we bothered to check up from elders and Bible scholars and commentaries, on these "thorny" issues? Because, the scriptures so clearly and overwhelmingly tell us that Jesus was raised on the THIRD day. If He died on a Friday, the only third day would be a Sunday, and to add to the well known fact that a sabbath day was all that inbetween. There is no biblical account to suggest that there were two sabbaths or more inbetween. it is simply people wrapping and twisting some phrase from the Bible into their ideas and reasonings.
So, how was jonah in the whale for three days and nights?
Jon 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Jon 2:1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,
Jon 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Jonah was in the whale's belly in a conscious way, with an ability to pray and repent, even though all saw him as dead and forgotten/finished. In the same way, Christ descended, led captivity captive, and took the keys of hell and death, when all thought He was forgotten/finished. He was not busy counting seconds and minutes to synchronise Jonah's time under. The phrase night and day is so commonly used in scriptures, as will be seen shortly. Not to re-invent the wheel as it were. Permit me to quote a commentary Wesley John's explanatory notes on this verse.
Mat 12:40 - "Three days and three nights - It was customary with the eastern nations to reckon any part of a natural day of twenty - four hours, for the whole day. Accordingly they used to say a thing was done after three or seven days, if it was done on the third or seventh day, from that which was last mentioned. Instances of this may be seen, 1Ki_20:29(And they pitched one over against the other seven days. And so it was, that in the seventh day the battle was joined: and the children of Israel slew of the Syrians a hundred thousand footmen in one day) and in many other places. And as the Hebrews had no word to express a natural day, they used night and day, or day and night for it. So that to say a thing happened after three days and three nights, was with them the very same, as to say, it happened after three days, or on the third day. See Est 4:16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
; Est 5:1 Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.
; Gen_7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
; Exo_24:18 Exo 24:18 And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and got him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.
Mar 9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by DrummaBoy(m): 11:58am On Aug 01, 2013
^^^

Image you have not responded to the matter on ground either through your own discuss or through the Wesley commentary. The question is did Jesus stay three days, three nights in the grave as he said he would?
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by Image123(m): 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2013
DrummaBoy: ^^^

Image you have not responded to the matter on ground either through your own discuss or through the Wesley commentary. The question is did Jesus stay three days, three nights in the grave as he said he would?

Indeed. If you want a trite answer,well the answer is "Yes, Jesus stayed three days and three nights in the earth of the earth as He said He would". Happy? The long post was just to show how it adds up, and what is really meant in context of certain phrases. Like when one says "I'm coming" or "This gadget is bad", for instance, you would do well to understand the context instead of looking for brighter grammar add ups.
Re: Did Jesus Stay Three Days And Three Nights In The Grave As He Said He Will? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
DrummaBoy: I am enjoying the religious forum more these days as I am finding light on thorny theological issues more in here than elsewhere (after the bible, ofcourse).

Thanks in advance.
. IF JESUS DISCIPLES HAD GONE TO GET HIS BODY ON A SATURDAY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED FOR BREAKING THE SABBATH.

(1) (Reply)

Science And Consciousness / Was There A Relationship Between Jesus And Mary Magdalene? / Death, Hell & The Afterlife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.