Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Oil Shortage On 99 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Shortage On 99 Camry (2497 Views)

Knock Sensor Bank 1(P0325) Problem In 99 Camry / Would Engine Oil Shortage Cause This / Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Saintp(m): 6:46pm On Jun 23, 2013
My 99 (I4) camry shorts engine oil every month. I have to top the oil with 1 litre in between oil change which comes up evry two months. I have been toping oil for sometime now.

However, the most worrying aspect is that each time i drive long distance journey i notice that the oil goes low immediately i come back even if the level is full before i embark on the journey.

please wot is the cause of this and should i do?

Thanks.
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jun 23, 2013
If you don't have an external oil leak, then your engine's burning oil. Most likely culprits are worn valve stem seals, worn piston rings and/or cylinder bores. Also, the grade of oil is very important. Running 0W-30, 5W-30 or 5W-40 in a high-mileage engine means the thinner oil will blow past worn rings quicker.

What grade of oil do you run, and what's your current mileage? How often does your car have an oil change, and is the oil filter replaced at EVERY oil change?
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Saintp(m): 7:33pm On Jun 23, 2013
Tanx Siena,

I use Total 20W50 engine oil,my current mileage is 120k miles and i change my oil every 8 weeks with oil filter replaced every change.
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by JUO(m): 8:22pm On Jun 23, 2013
so you must wait for 2 weeks even if you cover 12000km?
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Saintp(m): 8:59pm On Jun 23, 2013
JUO: so you must wait for 2 weeks even if you cover 12000km?

Infact i hardly cover that. I'm even underusing my oil going by that.
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 24, 2013
Saintp: Tanx Siena,

I use Total 20W50 engine oil,my current mileage is 120k miles and i change my oil every 8 weeks with oil filter replaced every change.

For starters, your oil changes are way too frequent. Full service every 12 months / 12,000 miles with an oil change / inspection every 6 months is the norm.

You're just burning money changing your oil and filter 6 times anually.

20W-50 oil is heavy for your year of Camry. It's designed for the older, high-mileage engine. You really need to be running semi-synthetic at the very least. 10W-40 comes to mind here.

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Marpol: 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2013
You hardly get any other oil that is not 20w50 in Naija. What of 0W40?
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Saintp(m): 2:49pm On Jun 24, 2013
Siena:

For starters, your oil changes are way too frequent. Full service every 12 months / 12,000 miles with an oil change / inspection every 6 months is the norm.

You're just burning money changing your oil and filter 6 times anually.

20W-50 oil is heavy for your year of Camry. It's designed for the older, high-mileage engine. You really need to be running semi-synthetic at the very least. 10W-40 comes to mind here.

Are you saying the oil i use is the problem and it will be fine if i change it?

Tanx.
Re: Oil Shortage On 99 Camry by Armour: 6:35am On Jul 27, 2014
@Sienna,

Pls, I also experience this thesame thing . My car is toyota camry 1998 with milage of 243k and I am using 20 50 mobil xhp. The car does not smoke at all but I observes that its temperature is low and sometime the work will be high and will have it adjusted and later it will be too low again that the engine will go off in slight traffic and will have to adjust it up again. The thermostat has been removed before I bot it naija used. My mechanic was also talking abt air vacum not there but promised to buy it for me . Pls help a brother out sir.

Thanks and God bless

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Your Advice / Check Out This Vehicle Plate Number!!! / Nissan Xtrail 2.5 XL Does Not Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.