Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,005 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (264320 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 3:00am On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

@Prince_onx. I hope you still have their information.. I am almost at that stage with my Duplex, and I can use their service..
This will be in Sango-Otta, which I beleive will fall in Lagos environ, if you don't mind passing it around. Thank you.

Hajji Mufutau
Hmu whenever you're ready. My younger brother have their contact information.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 3:25am On Aug 03, 2013
prince_onx:
Hmu whenever you're ready. My younger brother have their contact information.

Can we exchange this thru email? I will send you a PM and we can exchange email address. Thanks.

Update: PM sent thru Nairaland.. expecting reply.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kokosheen(m): 9:03am On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

Can we exchange this thru email? I will send you a PM and we can exchange email address. Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau

1st post on thread.

Abeg share the contact details oooo, we're all learning.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by diehard(m): 9:57am On Aug 03, 2013
@Experts in the house, i have seen where the use of PVC ceiling at homes aided the spread of fire from the kitchen quickly to other parts of the house. They are beautiful and cheap to use, but please be quided in your use of PVC ceiling. They should not be exposed to direct heat, such as non-energy bulbs. a house close to mine was partly burnt and it was caused by heating from a bulb directly to the PVC ceiling.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 10:16am On Aug 03, 2013
diehard: @Experts in the house, i have seen where the use of PVC ceiling at homes aided the spread of fire from the kitchen quickly to other parts of the house. They are beautiful and cheap to use, but please be quided in your use of PVC ceiling. They should not be exposed to direct heat, such as non-energy bulbs. a house close to mine was partly burnt and it was caused by heating from a bulb directly to the PVC ceiling.
This days light concrete decking is recommended in the kitchen as ceiling.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2013
diehard: @Experts in the house, i have seen where the use of PVC ceiling at homes aided the spread of fire from the kitchen quickly to other parts of the house. They are beautiful and cheap to use, but please be quided in your use of PVC ceiling. They should not be exposed to direct heat, such as non-energy bulbs. a house close to mine was partly burnt and it was caused by heating from a bulb directly to the PVC ceiling.

Damn.. That is surely a disaster.. what are the other alternatives apart from light decking that Mr. Chekitaut mentioned, POP and old day Asbestos?

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

Damn.. That is surely a disaster.. what are the other alternatives apart from light decking that Mr. Chekitaut mentioned, POP and old day Asbestos?

Hajji Mufutau
The power with fire is air and petroleum product, PVC is also a petroleum product, the only fire resistance building materials in the kitchen is ur light/normal concrete decking, Tiles to the decking level, Fire resistance steel door recommended entrance and exit. Gas cylinder outside, All table Marbel.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 2:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
Chekitaut: The power with fire is air and petroleum product, PVC is also a petroleum product, the only fire resistance building materials in the kitchen is ur light/normal concrete decking, Tiles to the decking level, Fire resistance steel door recommended entrance and exit. Gas cylinder outside, All table Marble.

Thanks, my brother. I will surely keep this in mind.. So if the building is a bungalow, you can still decking the kitchen part of it? Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

Hajji Mufutau
Sure! No problem. I will email you his contact number when I get it from my brother.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 3:22pm On Aug 03, 2013
prince_onx:
Sure! No problem. I will email you his contact number when I get it from my brother.

Thanks Brother. Got it and replied.. Will keep in touch. I owe you one anytime.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

Hajji Mufutau
That's what we're here for! To support and assist each other. Glad I could help.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 11:17pm On Aug 03, 2013
We are already exploring some finish materials for this house, I looked at these balusters, interlock tiles and concrete handrails today.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2013
more...

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 11:20pm On Aug 03, 2013
I like the smoothness of these ones.......

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 11:22pm On Aug 03, 2013
I am wondering which part of city to look for well finished qualities of these items in Port Harcourt?

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 11:56pm On Aug 03, 2013
mufutau55:

Hajji Mufutau
Bro, I am also interested in the contact as am also at the decking stage.I will mail u on that. But on second thought, I have read that decking from repeated use of same materials (especially wood) does notmlook to good. The base of the deck looks undulating due to deformed wood surface. I dont know how far this is true? Can someone help to clarify? It may be good to save money but the quality must not be compromised.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 12:59am On Aug 04, 2013
spyder880: I am wondering which part of city to look for well finished qualities of these items in Port Harcourt?

There are very many of them very close to you there. Just along that G.U.Ake road,before you get to Ikwerre road T-junction, the area opposite OPM. I see so many of the makers around there. You may want to stop by and confirm the quality/price. Are you back from Coal city?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 4:33am On Aug 04, 2013
VIPICO:

There are very many of them very close to you there. Just along that G.U.Ake road,before you get to Ikwerre road T-junction, the area opposite OPM. I see so many of the makers around there. You may want to stop by and confirm the quality/price. Are you back from Coal city?

Still out of town, I have seen so many along that road, only asking because I am looking for a better quality than those I saw there. Thanks.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 4:35am On Aug 04, 2013
lawali: Bro, I am also interested in the contact as am also at the decking stage.I will mail u on that. But on second thought, I have read that decking from repeated use of same materials (especially wood) does notmlook to good. The base of the deck looks undulating due to deformed wood surface. I dont know how far this is true? Can someone help to clarify? It may be good to save money but the quality must not be compromised.
Everything you read about using the same plank over and over for decking is absolutely true and correct. You can never ever compare new plank/woods to used at least I can attest to that from experience. It's easier to work with new planks both for the carpenter and during plastering. I was able to get the guys to use some new or maybe freshly used (like once) plank for mine. And like you rightly said, the part where they used some bended planks created extra job for the plastering guys bcox they had to chisel that part to level with other part of the decking before plastering. All the same, it was worth the price for me! N250k for both plank, bamboo, nails, and labour compare to almost N600k.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 3:27pm On Aug 04, 2013
prince_onx:
Everything you read about using the same plank over and over for decking is absolutely true and correct. You can never ever compare new plank/woods to used at least I can attest to that from experience. It's easier to work with new planks both for the carpenter and during plastering. I was able to get the guys to use some new or maybe freshly used (like once) plank for mine. And like you rightly said, the part where they used some bended planks created extra job for the plastering guys bcox they had to chisel that part to level with other part of the decking before plastering. All the same, it was worth the price for me! N250k for both plank, bamboo, nails, and labour compare to almost N600k.

Goes both ways.. advantages and disadvantages.. It's big problem especially if you are not personally there to monitor it, as in case with most of us in diaspora. You cannot totally trust anyone to do the right thing, even your own immediate family members.. I will surely keep this mind when I am ready for my decking.. If I smell something fishy, I wouldn't mind just going for the full monty (price), using my own new woods. Thanks for the education guys.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by bristol201(m): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2013
Fellow NL, recently I requested for a quotation of a simple design on window hoods, dining arch and Pillars for my building (Duplex) located in Ibadan.
Thus the lists are as follows:
Window Hood (Big) (normal standard window size 4x4)24pcs @=N=3,200.00 = =N=76,800.00
Window Hood (Small) (Toilet windows) 6pcs @ =N=2,000.00 = =N=12,000.00
Arcs 4pcs @ =N=15,000.00 = =N=60,000.00
Big Pillars (located in front of the building) 2pcs @ =N=30,000.00 = =N=60,000.00 (These are long pillars)
TOTAL =N=208,800.00
In addition, 35bags of cement and 10tons of sharp sand (to be supplied by me)
The questions are
1. Is this quotation not outrageous?
2. I’m I suppose to supply the materials? (unlike POP men that charges with materials)
Please advice and kindly give the normal charges on window hoods, pillars and arcs if known. Thanks.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by twinskenny(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2013
nice one... what a speed.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 4:23pm On Aug 04, 2013
bristol201: Fellow NL, recently I requested for a quotation of a simple design on window hoods, dining arch and Pillars for my building (Duplex) located in Ibadan.
Thus the lists are as follows:
Window Hood (Big) (normal standard window size 4x4)24pcs @=N=3,200.00 = =N=76,800.00
Window Hood (Small) (Toilet windows) 6pcs @ =N=2,000.00 = =N=12,000.00
Arcs 4pcs @ =N=15,000.00 = =N=60,000.00
Big Pillars (located in front of the building) 2pcs @ =N=30,000.00 = =N=60,000.00 (These are long pillars)
TOTAL =N=208,800.00
In addition, 35bags of cement and 10tons of sharp sand (to be supplied by me)
The questions are
1. Is this quotation not outrageous?
2. I’m I suppose to supply the materials? (unlike POP men that charges with materials)
Please advice and kindly give the normal charges on window hoods, pillars and arcs if known. Thanks.

You will provide all materials, sand, cement, water etc while the do the work and hang it. 4x4 window hood is N2500, smaller ones N1,500 while frontal pillars are N10-20k for long ones, ground to roof of duplex. However, these prices depend largely on the skill and expertise of the worker. The better ones charge higher.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 4:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
spyder880:

Still out of town, I have seen so many along that road, only asking because I am looking for a better quality than those I saw there. Thanks.

That's PH's artisans for you. Most of them are merely after the quick cash. Quality jobs and customer retainer-ship for them take the back seat.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 8:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
prince_onx:

If not in a rush you can deck each room/section at a time though with a better/thicker plywood that can be taken out and reused for the next room/section. This reduces the amount of planks you buy. Also good if the builder doesn't have enough finances for the whole decking project.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by brabus(m): 8:50pm On Aug 04, 2013
Good evening big brodas.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
chinosxl:
If not in a rush you can deck each room/section at a time though with a better/thicker plywood that can be taken out and reused for the next room/section. This reduces the amount of planks you buy. Also good if the builder doesn't have enough finances for the whole decking project.

I am surely learning.. I always have the notion that the whole deck needed to be done at one time, because of leakage.
Can I have more details from other professionals here, please.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 9:13pm On Aug 04, 2013
chinosxl:

I have heard of people doing it like this! Half and half but I don't think it's advisable. I strongly believe that the best is to knock it out one time and move on to the next level.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by bristol201(m): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2013
spyder880:

You will provide all materials, sand, cement, water etc while the do the work and hang it. 4x4 window hood is N2500, smaller ones N1,500 while frontal pillars are N10-20k for long ones, ground to roof of duplex. However, these prices depend largely on the skill and expertise of the worker. The better ones charge higher.
Oga Spyder thank you for your prompt reply and detailed explanation on the subject matter. You didn't mention the likely charges on the arcs. Any likely amount ? Thank you sir,
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 10:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
prince_onx:
I have heard of people doing it like this! Half and half but I don't think it's advisable. I strongly believe that the best is to knock it out one time and move on to the next level.
I don't think it safe to do decking in pieces too.I believe crack can form and progressed to cause building collapse. It's better to save up and complete one-off. piece by piece casting is better managed on foundation.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
bristol201:
Oga Spyder thank you for your prompt reply and detailed explanation on the subject matter. You didn't mention the likely charges on the arcs. Any likely amount ? Thank you sir,

I left it out deliberately, arcs vary in style and size. An average of N8k can hang a medium dinning arc hood.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:12pm On Aug 04, 2013
brabus: Good evening big brodas.

Good evening bros, hope your weekend was as fantabulous as mine grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.