Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,299 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges (9516 Views)

Pic: Fat Joe And His Sexy Wife, Lola / Oscar Pistorious To Be Released From Prison On Tuesday / Fat Joe Loses Weight, Needs A New Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Diasporan(m): 12:58am On Jun 25, 2013
Hip hop artist Joseph "Fat Joe" Cartagena was sentenced on Monday to four months in federal prison and fined $15,000 for failure to file tax returns on more than $3.3 million in income.

The 42-year-old rapper faced the possibility of up to two years in prison after pleading guilty in December to two counts of failing to file with the Internal Revenue Service.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Cathy Waldor gave the Bronx-born rapper credit for paying $718,000 in back taxes prior to his sentencing and for his charitable work.

The court received more than 60 letters on his behalf, including one from Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, who cited Cartagena's efforts to donate computers to local schools.

Cartagena apologized to his family and friends, saying he let them down. He said his 6-year-old daughter was being taunted in school by classmates who said her father was going to jail.

"There was a lot going on in the years that I didn't file my taxes, but it was my responsibility," he said. His hits include the 2004 song "Lean Back."

His attorneys had asked for probation in light of the three-month prison sentence handed down to hip hop artist Lauryn Hill in May on similar tax charges.

Cartagena was originally charged with failure to file returns from 2007 to 2010 but under a plea agreement the charges were reduced to not filing returns for two years.

His income came from three companies, including Somerville, N.J.-based Terror Squad Production Inc and Miramar Music Touring, which he owned.

http://www.trust.org/item/20130624225950-mr5vb

1 Like

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 25, 2013
WELL DAYUMMM. DON CARTEGENA FINNA EAT SOME RUNNY BEANS AND RICE IN THE JOINT
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Afrocatalyst: 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
Can't this law be strong in Nigeria too. A lot of tax evaders here. Btw, I pay my tax o.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Okijajuju1(m): 2:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
DOnt drop the soap hommie... grin

8 Likes

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by monsterg(m): 2:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
Na wa ooo
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by yuzedo: 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2013
[size=15pt]Guess who gon get butt-porked?[/size]

7 Likes

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by kevoh(m): 2:41pm On Jun 25, 2013
Why do folks (Celebs mostly) refuse to pay tax ? Where is the joy in spending 2 to 5 years in jail just for evading tax? There is definitely something I don't know.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
50cent is behind it all.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by rozayx5(m): 2:47pm On Jun 25, 2013
angry angry angry angry
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by ichommy(m): 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2013
All dis rich people self
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by theripper3: 2:52pm On Jun 25, 2013
That fat nigga thought lean back was in the club, my shiiit sold 11mill, his shiiit was a ----------.

Choi, 50 cent go dey gloat one kind.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by daywatcher: 2:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
rich people that get convicted are not seen as criminals or bad people...fact of life
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 25, 2013
FAT JOE FINNA LEAN BACK INTO THE JOINT grin grin
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by kokoye(m): 2:58pm On Jun 25, 2013
wetin consign me with fat job??
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by InvertedHammer: 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
This is one area Nigerians have it good. No tax man to contend with at the end of every year

IRS is no joke.

Harassed the be-Jesus out of me.

But this hip hop artistes are idiots. Before issues with IRS get to this stage, they must have written to warn him
several times. Boy, they love to write those subtly threatening letters

1 Like

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Youngzedd(m): 3:03pm On Jun 25, 2013
I love western world.

No dude is above the law.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 25, 2013
Youngzedd: I love western world.

No dude is above the law.
NO BLACK DUDE IS ABOVE THE LAW
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Freiburger(m): 3:13pm On Jun 25, 2013
hehehehehe. Slow down uncle Sam you killin dem. Nas, Lauren Hill, Method Man, have been through theirs, now it is the terror squard boss turn. Oga Joe, put some of that TS chains on autions sales, i might be interested, with my annual income of less than $70k. grin grin grin
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by baslone: 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2013
kevoh: Why do folks (Celebs mostly) refuse to pay tax ? Where is the joy in spending 2 to 5 years in jail just for evading tax? There is definitely something I don't know.

"You gotta understand we hire guys who are supposed have Harvard
degrees to take care of us. All the time you see artists, the first
thing they did to you when you caught money was introduce you to a
bunch of fancy guys with bow ties who are gonna take care of your
money and all that and then you always see an artist or a celebrity
or somebody like that goin' down for it and these guys never go down for it."

Fat Joe

1 Like

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Silva79(f): 3:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
I swear with my yansh,no 9ja celeb dey pay tax 4 dis country.

1 Like

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Revolva(m): 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2013
You see a country where no one is above the law.....not this yeye Nigeria....Fat Joe....well those latino Niggaz...will be waiting for ya...in Fed Jail to rep dem.....just enjoy your terms...notin new bro
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Reachyrich(f): 3:32pm On Jun 25, 2013
So sorry.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
Revolva: You see a country where no one is above the law.....not this yeye Nigeria....Fat Joe....well those latino Niggaz...will be waiting for ya...in Fed Jail to rep dem.....just enjoy your terms...notin new bro
Silva79: I swear with my yansh,no 9ja celeb dey pay tax 4 dis country.

Shut up already!!!

How many things has the government put in place to ensure smoothnessin the country? Common electricity, motorable roads & water isn't available yet you're comparing Nigerian Tax system to the US?

Y'all can be slaves it y'all want that. I just think a goverment that wants taxes should provide basic amenities.

2 Likes

Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by TheLokI: 3:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
E remain messi cheesy
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by mamagee3(f): 3:55pm On Jun 25, 2013
What's with all these celebrities evading taxes?

With all the millions they make, you'd think they'll at least be able to give some away. . .

They are probably keeping it inorder to buy more big houses and add unnecessary furnishings to it
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by passionate88: 3:58pm On Jun 25, 2013
Okija_juju: DOnt drop the soap hommie... grin

Riley Freeman
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 25, 2013
Time to lose some weight Mr Fat Joe.
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by ceejay80s(m): 4:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Hip hop artist Joseph "Fat
Joe" Cartagena was
sentenced on Monday to
four months in federal
prison and fined $15,000
for failure to file tax
returns on more than $3.3
million in income.

if na naija dem go grant am bail
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by lovejo(m): 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2013
Wesley Snipes after paying $5m to court he was still sentenced to 2 years as first time offender which should not be more than 4 months like fat joe. Racism
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by Melancholy(m): 4:20pm On Jun 25, 2013
fashola,aregbe effort of making sure people pay their tax, u find them complaining haa it too much to bear,knowing that through tax development takes place.I pray that one day, RIS will be saddled with much power to arrest celebrities who evades tax in nigeria.fat joe and i dey feel that ur song 'Ballin'
Re: Fat Joe Sentenced To Prison On Tax Charges by IAMBREEZY: 4:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
Damn my man that wongas is too small,why don't you give them and be free man

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Linda Ikeji Wore To Church That Got Everyone Talking / Actress Rita Dominic Whatsapp Number leaked by Instagram hacker (See Number) / Kim Kardashian Flashes Boobs In Transparent Top (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.