Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38394 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 10:20am On Jun 30, 2013
People can be funny o.

Why should I take pride in speaking another man's language with a heavy Nigerian accent? That's ridiculous to say the least. grin

First, the so called "fake" accent was a survival tactics for me, but it later grew on me with time. Besides, Nigerian accent has a way of distorting the real pronunciations of some English words. One can only notice this when you communicate with native English speakers.

I speak fluent central Igbo and numerous Igbo dialects, a bit of Yoruba and Hausa....and of course pigeon. And I never fail to communicate with them whenever I have the opportunity to. Isn't these enough to show how much Nigerian I am?

Imagine someone speaking Igbo to me with American accent. I would never take such person serious.

There's nothing unpatriotic, unAfrican/unNigerian or self hating about speaking American/British accented English. English lang is not Nigerian Language to start with.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Lakayanah: 10:22am On Jun 30, 2013
No one should try me the day I step my foot in the USA I am gonna speak Americana. Oh blimey me when I get to England una go hear am.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 10:32am On Jun 30, 2013
Nuzo':
People can be funny o.

Why should I take pride in speaking another man's language with a heavy Nigerian accent? That's ridiculous to say the least. grin

First, the so called "fake" accent was a survival tactics for me, but it later grew on me with time. Besides, Nigerian accent has a way of distorting the real pronunciations of some English words. One can only notice this when you communicate with native English speakers.

I speak fluent central Igbo and numerous Igbo dialects, a bit of Yoruba and Hausa....and of course pigeon. And I never fail to communicate with them whenever I have the opportunity to. Isn't these enough to show how much Nigerian I am?

Imagine someone speaking Igbo to me with American accent. I would never take such person serious.

There's nothing unpatriotic, unAfrican/unNigerian or self hating about speaking American/British accented English. English lang is not Nigerian Language to start with.
Pls who are these native English speakers. Is it the British, Americans, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders. Why don't Americans, Canadians, Australians speak and pronounce words like the native English speakers? Why must Nigerians now do that?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Godson201333(m): 10:35am On Jun 30, 2013
but in some cases you need you fake your accent so that the other person can understand you,meanwhle,your mothertongue remain thesame...
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ddeola: 10:36am On Jun 30, 2013
I used to think people always do that to showoff when I was much younger but right now I can tell you that apart from those who are just trying to showoff, the way you speak will change gradually to the way everyone around you speak if you remain in that environment for a long time. It is simply a form of adaptation. If anyone thinks otherwise, no problem. When you find yourself in that situation you will understand better

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ZACHIE: 10:36am On Jun 30, 2013
Nuzo':
People can be funny o.

I speak fluent central Igbo and numerous Igbo dialects, a bit of Yoruba and Hausa....and of course pigeon. .

You must coo a lot.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Sike(m): 10:37am On Jun 30, 2013
Just Speak and be heard. Chikena!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 10:42am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls who are these native English speakers. Is it the British, Americans, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders. Why don't Americans, Canadians, Australians speak and pronounce words like the native English speakers? Why must Nigerians now do that?

Native English speakers are known to be British, Americans, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders.

Notice that unlike Nigeria, all these countries DIRECTLY have their roots from UK.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by DonCarlos1(m): 10:49am On Jun 30, 2013
@OP. Fake accent remains fake and the American or British has no respect for you for manifesting inferiority complex. The French live next door to the British, how come they don't speak like the English when communicating with same. My Italian friend who has spent some substantial time in the US communicates to whoever half in Italia and half in halting English. Again how come the Americans and English who have spent years in Nigeria never try to imitate our accents, rather it is the Nigerian in Nigeria trying to impress him by faking his accent.
So long as you left the shores of this country an adult, no matter how long you stay there and you 'try' to fake the oyinbo accent, you are suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 10:49am On Jun 30, 2013
Nuzo':

Native English speakers are known to be British, Americans, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders.

Notice that unlike Nigeria, all these countries DIRECTLY have their roots from UK.
You're very wrong. Americans are made up of Germans, Irish, English, Italins etc. It's a multi-ethnic counry but English eclipsed all other languages as the official language. Even though a lot of Americans can no longer speak their original language, their native language is not English. Apart from that, was there any such thing as American English in the old? How come they created a unique brand of English instead of speaking what the English were speaking.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mbamaker: 11:10am On Jun 30, 2013
googlepikin: my dear if you can carefully read dis your english you are writing here you go know sey you grow for village.
like there is anything wrong with that. it just shows you have a mindset that is still in subjection to the colonialists.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mbamaker: 11:13am On Jun 30, 2013
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 11:14am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're very wrong. Americans are made up of Germans, Irish, English, Italins etc. It's a multi-ethnic counry but English eclipsed all other languages as the official language. Even though a lot of Americans can no longer speak their original language, their native language is not English. Apart from that, was there any such thing as American English in the old? How come they created a unique brand of English instead of speaking what the English were speaking.

No sir, I'm not wrong. But that doesn't make you wrong either.
The native Americans and non English speaking Europeans were over shadowed by the colonial Englishmen as a result war, diseases and civilization with the help of Scots and Irish.

These events facilitated the expansion of English settlements and authority with little compromise to other non-Eglish speakers. And this lack of compromise extended to the use of English languge.

With this, its very safe to say that USA is a native English speaking country.

This is not the case for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by erico2k2(m): 11:17am On Jun 30, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley
I can understand where you are coming from but lets think out of the box for a bit, are we pronouncing written English the way its meant to be spoken? I will give you two examples, 1.LISTEN 2 ILLEGAL, most guys pronounce 1 as LISTIN 2 as ILEGAL
in reality if you try and pronounce things right you will sound western.Listen to ur 9 O'clock news
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 11:18am On Jun 30, 2013
Nuzo':

No sir, I'm not wrong. But that doesn't make you wrong either.
The native Americans and non English speaking Europeans were over shadowed by the colonial Englishmen as a result war, diseases and civilization with the help of Scots and Irish.

These events facilitated the expansion of English settlements and authority with little compromise to other non-Eglish speakers. And this lack of compromise extended to the use of English languge.

With this, its very safe to say that USA is a native English speaking country.

This is not the case for Nigeria.
If Americans are native English speakers then how come they don't speak like other native speakers(English). They have an accent and spellings unique to them. Why did they have to come up with their own way of speaking instead of speaking like the British.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
If Americans are native English speakers then how come they don't speak like other native speakers(English). They have an accent and spellings unique to them. Why did they have to come up with their own way of speaking instead of speaking like the British.
native Americans where not English speakers but Indians(|Red Indians)English was introduce by the English
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by erico2k2(m): 11:26am On Jun 30, 2013
Nuzo':
People can be funny o.

Thats an adult reasoning, leave ignorant people to argue about stuff they know nothing about

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mikkyphp(m): 11:33am On Jun 30, 2013
Many of our Nigerian OAPs on radio have never set foot outside this country's shores, yet 95% speak with an accent! I even heard it's a pre-requisite for getting the job. True?

It's disheartening. As for me, i have no issues in speaking with a foreign accent, but please do it well. grin and don't switch back and forth... cool
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 11:39am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:

Not if, they are native speakers. And they used to speak like other native speaker 200 years ago.

"Problem" started when the non Eglish speakers started regaining their voices and identity back. They still hate the fact that the English culture and language was used to form the core foundation of the USA.

Hence why American English is ever remolded every now and then. And this is gradually throwing the southern accent which has similarities with the British English away from the window.

The new American English is the ones folks like Kim, Paris Hilton are speaking now.

"Like duh". grin angry
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by 50calibre(m): 11:42am On Jun 30, 2013
All these people saying if you don't fake an accent, you won't be understood, don't know what they are talking about.

If you hear a proper Scottish accent, you will run away. It's thicker than the thickest Igbo accent, yet when a proper scot is speaking, he expects you to understand what he is saying, he doesn't in any way try to modify his accent. The responsibility falls on the listener to understand what you are saying, not you.

Even in America, you can detect an accent in people of Hispanic, Caribbean or Asian descent.

The only accent I feel like imitating, is the Jamaican accent, it's crazy.

All of them = ala them!
Yes = yah Man!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ZACHIE: 11:58am On Jun 30, 2013
The true masters non-native users of English do not speak with accent.
Nigerian accented English is beauty to the ear so long as the syntax and grammar are above the plebeian.
Soyinka does not have any accent
Fela Kuti never had one.
Achebe never did
Olu Tomori spoke like a village man
All the top users of English that i know all through school spoke with a common Nigerian tongue but stood out and are respected. Same with their Ghanaian and East African counterparts.
Tafawa Balewa was one maestro of the language, respected even in the grave till tomorrow. He spoke with correct pronunciation in mind and not borrowed accent. His voice did the trick for him.
Ngugi Wa Thiongo has probably spent more of his adult life outside Kenya, yet he never dropped his way of speaking.

If you use language just communicate around streets, use your borrowed accent If you must be counted as a true master of the language, stay true to your native accent but get the pronunciation right.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 12:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
50calibre: All these people saying if you don't fake an accent, you won't be understood, don't know what they are talking about.

If you hear a proper Scottish accent, you will run away. It's thicker than the thickest Igbo accent, yet when a proper scot is speaking, he expects you to understand what he is saying, he doesn't in any way try to modify his accent. The responsibility falls on the listener to understand what you are saying, not you.

Even in America, you can detect an accent in people of Hispanic, Caribbean or Asian descent.

The only accent I feel like imitating, is the Jamaican accent, it's crazy.

All of them = ala them!
Yes = yah Man!

At what point in time is one's Amrican/British accent supposed to be fake even if he/she unconcsiously speaks it fluently?

And why won't a Scot be comfortable with his accent in UK? But if you are talking about a Scot outside of UK...I usually feel sorry the way they are being made fun off. Their accent is seen as terrible outside of UK and they know it.

Jamaican ko...Latino ni, anything less than the usual American accent in USA is covertly unappreciated. Even recently the southern accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Aringon(m): 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2013
Tell a typical Nigerian to pronounce words such as :
Measure
Pleasure
Treasure
Pressure
Commission
Television
Station
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 12:17pm On Jun 30, 2013
stillwater: You don't have to change accents. Just pronounce your words well and you won't have any problems. Invest in good primary and secondary schools. Be attentive in English class and learn your phonetics. Wole Soyinka and Chimamanda Adichie have Nigerian accents and they are understood, so there's no need to switch anything. Stop making Tuface your mentor!

I hope you know that wole Soyinka's and chimamanda's accents are not your typical Nigerian accent? Soyinka has been abroad time and again and also is someone involved with public speaking that his communication skills are what I'll call modified Nigerian accent ( actually refined Nigerian accent) chimamanda is more calculated in her speaking. She's another public speaker. These folks have been abroad for a while and they both speak with modified Nigerians accents.

It's not the average accent in Enugu (or wherever she lived) and wole Soyinka's accent is not the same as the accent spoken in ogun state. (OBJ?) so these folks have modified accents

Obasanjo, on the other hand speaks a more perfect Nigerian accent with Yoruba spice. But remember, he's president, of he goes abroad to speak, people will try to understand him, BUT a young hustler who goes abroad to hussle, the pressure is on you to communicate better or else employers will prefer others.

I've lived abroad for years, my Nigerian accent is intact. But when I'm at work, I use the modified Nigerian accent to communicate better. Always having to repeat yourself is not good for a highly competitive capitalistic society like America.

As for pidgin engrish, in still good at that, but e be like say some new words have developed that weren't in existence way back in the days.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 12:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
And talking of American accent(s), hope you guys know that there are many many many many American accents?

The south have their own, the north-east have their own, the mid-west have their own etc. and southerners will tell you that Texas accent is different from Mississippi accent which is different from Tennessee accent.

The day some dude came from Nashville, my Ohio colleague could not understand him. Even Kentucky which is just across the river from Cincinnati has a different accent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 12:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
bigx: Bullcrap, How many foreigners change their accents for us to understand them when they come here?
No matter how long I stay abroad, I'd proudly speak my Nigerian English, any one who doesnt like it can enter sewer.
They are not feeding me
Of course they are not feeding you. You are either still a toddler, breastfed by momsie or you have never been outta Naija. Try live in another country for years, look for a job or raise a fam there, then, you go adjust sharp sharp. In fact, na only you go set up coaching classes for accent acquisition. grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 12:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
Aringon: Tell a typical Nigerian to pronounce words such as :
Measure
Pleasure
Treasure
Pressure
Commission
Television
Station
Measure
Pleasure
Treasure
Pressure
Commission
Television
Station
well, I just did, so what's next? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
50calibre: All these people saying if you don't fake an accent, you won't be understood, don't know what they are talking about.

!

If you are looking for a job, I'm sure it is your responsibility to understand that Scottish accent grin
Also if you are employed and clients who bring the money for the company comes, it is also your responsibility to understand what they are saying grin

But if you are president of Nigeria, like GEJ or OBJ and these foreign companies are looking for contract, then you can speak with umuezealaogwara accent and even the president of the United States will try to understand you cheesy

Otherwise, adapt or get left behind.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 12:35pm On Jun 30, 2013
ZACHIE: The true masters non-native users of English do not speak with accent.
Nigerian accented English is beauty to the ear so long as the syntax and grammar are above the plebeian.
Soyinka does not have any accent
Fela Kuti never had one.
Achebe never did
Olu Tomori spoke like a village man
All the top users of English that i know all through school spoke with a common Nigerian tongue but stood out and are respected. Same with their Ghanaian and East African counterparts.
Tafawa Balewa was one maestro of the language, respected even in the grave till tomorrow. He spoke with correct pronunciation in mind and not borrowed accent. His voice did the trick for him.
Ngugi Wa Thiongo has probably spent more of his adult life outside Kenya, yet he never dropped his way of speaking.

If you use language just communicate around streets, use your borrowed accent If you must be counted as a true master of the language, stay true to your native accent but get the pronunciation right.
Bros, Fela Kuti never had one? shocked You shaq? Hw many times did u hear achebe speak before he died? he was a novelist, not a public speaker. Listen to your politicians when they parle...you go fear afraid. Soon, na u go talk say GEj nor get accent. When my president spoke at the last UNGA (although na only chairs be the audience), the kind thick accent my oga dey chew for mouth nor be small thing.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 12:37pm On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann:

If you are looking for a job, I'm sure it is your responsibility to understand that Scottish accent grin
Also if you are employed and clients who bring the money for the company comes, it is also your responsibility to understand what they are saying grin

But if you are president of Nigeria, like GEJ or OBJ and these foreign companies are looking for contract, then you can speak with umuezealaogwara accent and even the president of the United States will try to understand you cheesy

Otherwise, adapt or get left behind.

Turu talk nna...na turu talk you talk for here so.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nuzo1(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
toshmann: And talking of American accent(s), hope you guys know that there are many many many many American accents?

The south have their own, the north-east have their own, the mid-west have their own etc. and southerners will tell you that Texas accent is different from Mississippi accent which is different from Tennessee accent.

The day some dude came from Nashville, my Ohio colleague could not understand him. Even Kentucky which is just across the river from Cincinnati has a different accent.

You are right about the varieties but wrong about terming it American accent.
Be it Tenessee, Texas or AA accent...southern accent in general is covertly frowned upon in mainstream America and thereby not considered American accent except of course you are talking about outside of USA.
American accent has a standard American accent.

Any average individual with these accents hardly makes it in the mainstream America.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 12:49pm On Jun 30, 2013
delors:
Bros, Fela Kuti never had one? shocked You shaq? Hw many times did u hear achebe speak before he died? he was a novelist, not a public speaker. Listen to your politicians when they parle...you go fear afraid. Soon, na u go talk say GEj nor get accent. When my president spoke at the last UNGA (although na only chairs be the audience), the kind thick accent my oga dey chew for mouth nor be small thing.
And you compare yourself to shaq, fela and president of Nigeria. These people are made. They don't need anything from oyibos. If you need something from them, job, business then you better try to make yourself easy to understand. These folks can't even pronounce your name.

Look at Obama, when he was a young hustler, They called him Barry. Bc they were unwilling to learn how to pronounce barrak. But when Obama became a made man, he made them Learn how to pronounce his full name.

Fela doesn't need them. They can go to hell for all he cares. They want to listen to afro juji music, they come to fela. So he doesn't need them. But you and me, fresh hustlers. We better adapt fast bc on this competitive age, unless you are exceptional in what you do (like fela) you had better blend in.

If you are average and then you come for a job with thick ojuelegba accent, and I'm average and o come for the same interview with modified Nigerian accent, you think they will take you? tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nest Oil Private Jet Lost Control At Abuja Airport (Photos) / Port Harcourt 7pm Curfew: Residents Trapped In Traffic Gridlock: Pics & Video / Air Peace Receives Brand New Airplane From Brazil (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.