Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly (9127 Views)

Photos: Unemployed Nigerians Seek Work At National Assembly / Fitc Interview: Mainstreet Bank / Mainstreet Bank Graduate Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Idrico(m): 3:10pm On Jun 26, 2013
Retrenched workers of Mainstreet Bank on Tuesday protested at the gate to the National Assembly Complex, calling on the lawmakers to intervene in their case.

The workers were protesting over the non-payment of entitlements of about 650 staff members sacked across the country by the management of the bank since June last year.

A representative of the former workers, Mr Usanga Eyo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the protest was organised to call the attention of the National Assembly to their plight.

He said that they were sacked without any reason.

“We are not saying that the management does not have the right to disengage staff members.

“As at the time our appointments were terminated last June, Mainstreet Bank forced many of our members to sign an undertaking.

“It was not to take the bank to court before the balance of the car loans we got were written off as ex-gratia.

“The bank, subsequently, gave wide publicity to the payment of the ex-gratia in the newspapers, making the whole world believe they are magnanimous.

“On paying the meagre 100 per cent gratuity, the bank deducted all the already written off car and Afribank Nigeria Plc share loans, in order to put our account in debit.

“We find it difficult to understand why the bank’s executive management decided to take this hard and unkind stance.

“The bank knows that we were all forced to take the loan by the executive management and also buy Afribank shares,” Eyo said.

He said that the group had written letters to the National Assembly Committees on Banking and Finance and the Minister of Labour and Productivity, informing them of their plight.

Eyo also said that letters of complaint were sent to the Trade Union Congress and the Association of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSUBIFI).

“Up until now, we have not had any reply to the letters we wrote.

“It is sad that even the bank union ASSUBIFI that is supposed to protect us, turned its back on us.

“Keystone and Enterprise, the other nationalised banks have paid their sacked workers all their entitlements.

“We are asking them to pay us our entitlements first in order that we will pay the outstanding loans to the bank.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/06/26/sacked-bank-workers-protest-at-national-assembly/

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Eneze1(f): 3:41pm On Jun 26, 2013
wow, so after all this while they are still owing this people their entitlements, oga ooo

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by MightyThor(m): 3:41pm On Jun 26, 2013
Banks at it still. SMH.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by 5much(m): 3:41pm On Jun 26, 2013
d banking sector is d most volatile sector in naija.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by danNaija: 3:42pm On Jun 26, 2013
mehn they gatz intervene o.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by braxjay(m): 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2013
[size=18pt]1st of all just writing this cos its on the front page. secondly, "sacked without any reason" happens to be the norm in the Nigerian banking sector which i think should be check-mated. sad how someone goes to work and receive such bad news when you have a family that depends on you. smh[/size]
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by ceejay80s(m): 3:45pm On Jun 26, 2013
undecidedmake dem go join lawma
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 26, 2013
E be like to push wheelbarrow beta pass to work 4 bank o.

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by eunisam: 3:49pm On Jun 26, 2013
Frustration!

grievance!

Hunger!

poverty!

Violence!

E
v
e
r
y

Nooks

and

Cranny

in my

C
O
U
N
T
R
Y
!

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by wckabuoh(m): 3:49pm On Jun 26, 2013
Mainstreet Bank make U give them their entitlements niiii!! Even our legislators could not intervene allm these while. sad angry sad angry sad angry sad
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by yomalex(m): 3:49pm On Jun 26, 2013
that some people will 'die' for this bank jobs is what is disconcerting
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by ifedayo04(m): 3:55pm On Jun 26, 2013
Informal act from a formal organization...it sucks how fellow humans treat ourselfs like what i don't have words to explain. Sad story.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Rooneyboy(m): 3:55pm On Jun 26, 2013
Any right thinking Nigerian that gets a job in the banking sector and hopes to cling to it as an only source of income must be an ediot.......

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by maanma: 3:56pm On Jun 26, 2013
The management of this bank should reconsider. I use to die for banking job but it never came my way. Thank God
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Born2beRich1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 26, 2013
This is lugubrious.... cry
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Okijajuju1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 26, 2013
Heheheheheheeeee

Banking sector... Na who send you go there?!

That and Telecoms..
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Gombs(m): 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
Bank wey go still fold sef. I walked into one branch in Jos, they were busy chatting and watching tv...not cable tv o...d odas whr busy pinging and laffing..

Dem no get customers abi na dat brnch no get?

Mk una no worry, God dey
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Ebenezerk2: 4:08pm On Jun 26, 2013
I believe some of the sacked staff had spent up to 10years before they were sacked, they should have got savings for them to start a good business, but instead of savings, they prefer to buy unnecessary and expensive things thinking that things will be going on like that, anyway let the bank pay them their entitlement for the sake of their family members
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by initiate: 4:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
Sanusi to blame!
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by free2ryhme: 4:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
ceejay80s: undecidedmake dem go join lawma
only insentive pple make comments such as yours on sensitive matter

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by xandy84: 4:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
I want to believe u r less than 15 years cos ur comment is childish n completely irrelevant.. Sometimes, we need to think twice before comment nah.. We are talking about people means of livelihood bro... My 2 cent advise thou...

1 Like

Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by Simulacrum(m): 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2013
I hope the national assembly intervenes on their behalf.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by CrimzP(m): 5:14pm On Jun 26, 2013
This is really sad. Amongst them might be someone whose wife just gave birth oo. The national assembly NEEDS to intervene. Govt. Job still the surest.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by ddjay: 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2013
xandy84: I want to believe u r less than 15 years cos ur comment is childish n completely irrelevant.. Sometimes, we need to think twice before comment nah.. We are talking about people means of livelihood bro... My 2 cent advise thou...

no mind am, yeye fowl.wit d mouth like lawma.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by midep: 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2013
This is serious, and the NATIONAL PRESIDENT OF ASSBIFI, Comrade Olusola Salako is a Staff of Mainstreet Bank. If this is happening in his domain i wounder how he will fight for others.... and d same mumu was just elected as d Deputy President of TUC in the just concluded TUC Delegeate Conference Election in Abuja.

What a Shame..............
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by ddjay: 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2013
midep: This is serious, and the NATIONAL PRESIDENT OF ASSBIFI, Comrade Olusola Salako is a Staff of Mainstreet Bank. If this is happening in his domain i wounder how he will fight for others.... and d same mumu was just elected as d Deputy President of TUC in the just concluded TUC Delegeate Conference Election in Abuja.

What a Shame..............
mayb he was one of d sackd employee
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by othenok(f): 9:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
Enterprise bank didn't pay a dime to their staff. Enterprise bank even sacked 600 on the 24th of May without giving them a dime. I pity people that are still dreaming of working in any bank in Nigeria.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by ukachimo: 12:16am On Jun 27, 2013
I pity people that are still dreaming of working in any bank in Nigeria.

As bad as u might want to paint that sector,fact still remains that it is only second to oil sector in fat pay with all the turmoil it has seen in the recent past and Telecomms comes after.

In my opinion, the unemployment level
In the country is breeding all kinds of shenanigans in work places, not just in banks but in any work place in the country and the government is helpless because their mismagement of our scarce resources help to put us in this state in the first instance.

But come to think of it,banks and bankers use to be very conservative people. Now the story is different: plush cars, plush offices, plush jets, plush women, plush account like in Nollywood. Well in the real Naija,l don't think everything is that plush.
Re: Sacked Mainstreet Bankers Protest At National Assembly by TableLeg(m): 12:38am On Jun 28, 2013

Daft punk.... I wish it was you who is directly affected or someone close to you who you depend on for a living

Dont know why people make insensitive and dimwitted comments like you did up there!

(1) (Reply)

Powerchina Huadong Nigeria Limited / Help Confirm School Interview Invite Is Genuine / Total Nigeria Calling For Selection Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.