Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today (19177 Views)

Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today / Medical Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 3:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
The National Association of Resident Doctors has ordered its members nationwide to embark on a three-day warning strike from Wednesday.

NARD said Wednesday's strike was to protest against the poor funding of the residency training of its members by the Federal Government.

Already, the 21-day ultimatum given to the Federal Government by NARD expired on June 18, 2013.

NARD National President, Dr. Ismail Lawal, had about two weeks ago during a news conference at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu warned that the resident doctors across the country might embark on strike any moment after the 21-day ultimatum expired.

Lawal, who had expressed dismay at the inadequate funding of the residency training programme in the 2013 budget, had also said the union had given enough opportunity to the government to address the lapses.

But the NARD national president on Monday in Abeokuta, in a communique issued at the end of the association's National Executive Council meeting, directed all its members across the country to commence the warning strike as a form of protest against government attitude.

It said, "NARD has directed her members to embark on a three-day warning strike commencing from Wednessday June 26, 2013 to show our dissatisfaction at the unbecoming attitude of the Federal Government to the issue of residency training funding and the failure to yield to our demand for the supplementary budget for the training."

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/resident-doctors-begin-warning-strike-on-wednesday/
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 4:14pm On Jun 26, 2013
Here is someone's online reaction to the NARD strike:

"There are many departments of government where funding is inadequate.
Why should the doctors take exception? Police, sports, the ministries and
parastatals are all underfunded. The doctors are arrogant and insensitive. Moreover doctors should be banned by legislation from going on strike. When they
resume their strike will they resurrect those who might have died because of
their action?"

Well, I'd say that is a layman's viewpoint. Cos if we consider this issue critically, the doctors are not only struggling for themselves, but for the average common man.
For instance, many teaching hospitals are without basic equipment needed to train residents (and manage patients). You see situations when patients have to travel from Port-Harcourt to LUTH just to have an MRI done, or patients asked to take a blood sample from UCH to pathcare (an NGO) in lagos, simply due to lack of hospital facility to provide these services.

If a UCH patient dies before the result of his blood test returns from lagos, who will resurrect him? OR if the patient traveling from PH to Lagos dies on the way (either due to illness or accident), who will resurrect him/ her?

Are these deaths any doctor's fault?

In my opinion, these are the things NARD is asking for. Better funding of the training programme will translate to:
1. More facility 'n equipment for training in teaching hospitals. Particularly machines used to further investigate patients' condition, which guuides the doctor in better treating the patients.

2. More hands, which will significantly reduce the number of hours patients spend on clinic visits, waiting to see the doctor.

These, I believe, are the things NARD is asking the FG for, which is very much in order.

Who buys my ideas?

40 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 4:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
nas 00: Here is someone's online reaction to the NARD strike:

parastatals are all underfunded. The doctors are arrogant and insensitive. Moreover doctors should be banned by legislation from going on strike. When they
their action?"

Well, I'd say that is a layman's viewpoint. Cos if we consider this issue critically, the doctors are not only struggling for themselves, but for the average common man.
For instance, many teaching hospitals are without basic equipment needed to train residents (and manage patients). You see situations when patients have to travel from Port-Harcourt to LUTH just to have an MRI done, or patients asked to take a blood sample from UCH to pathcare (an NGO) in lagos, simply due to lack of hospital facility to provide these services.

If a UCH patient dies before the result of his blood test returns from lagos, who will resurrect him? OR if the patient traveling from PH to Lagos dies on the way (either due to illness or accident), who will resurrect him/ her?

In my opinion, these are the things NARD is asking for. Better funding of the training programme will translate to:
1. More facility 'n equipment for training in teaching hospitals. Particularly
machines used to further investigate patients' condition, which guuides the doctor in better treating the patients.

2. More hands, which will significantly reduce the number of hours patients spend on clinic visits, waiting to see the doctor.

These, I believe, are the things NARD is asking the FG for, which is very much in order.

Who buys my ideas?

my problem with doctors is that they very greedy and insensitive...now they want pple to supprport them for better training,despite the ones they have already,
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 4:23pm On Jun 26, 2013
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

my problem with doctors is that they very greedy and insensitive...now they want pple to supprport them for better training,despite the ones they have already,

Lol.. You still don't get it. It's a two-way advantage:

The doctor receives standard training, the patient receives standard care.

Remember the world of medicine is not that static. New discoveries are made everyday. The way malaria was treated in 1990 is not the same today.

I don't think it's greed when you ask for things to be done the right way smiley

Cheers.

8 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2013

their action?"

1. More facility 'n equipment for training in teaching hospitals. Particularly
machines used to further investigate patients' condition, which guuides the doctor in better treating the patients.

Who buys my ideas?

my problem with doctors is that they very greedy and insensitive...now they want pple to suporport them for better training,despite the ones they have already, buh when other professions like nurses,lab ppl and the pharmacists ask for better integration and training,drs. will also go on strike, you hypocrit how can be refering to what u do for ppl,do u think we dnt know that more training for u pple means more money(ur main obctv),please u pple should go and rest,i totally support the other guy's opinion,....you doctors are not the problem we have abeg

3 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2013
nas 00:

Lol.. You still don't get it. It's a two-way advantage:

The doctor receives standard training, the patient receives standard care.

Remember the world of medicine is not that static. New discoveries are made everyday. The way malaria was treated in 1990 is not the same today.

I don't think it's greed when you ask for things to be done the right way smiley

Cheers.

very funny...and when the nurses and pharmacist get standard training,the patient gets substandard care huh!!!
and the police gets standard training the ppl get substandard policing,why have they not gone on strike....mtcheew!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 4:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

very funny...and when the nurses and pharmacist get standard training,the patient gets substandard care huh!!!
and the police gets standard training the ppl get substandard policing,why have they not gone on strike....mtcheew!!!!!

shocked
Now, provide links to prove that doctors have kicked against better TRAINING of nurses or pharmacists in the past.

Since you have such a good case to put forward, let's deal with facts and not mere words smiley

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2013
nas 00:

shocked
Now, provide links to prove that doctors have kicked against better TRAINING of nurses or pharmacists in the past.

Since you have such a good case to put forward, let's deal with facts and not mere words smiley

https://m.facebook.com/NURSINGNIGERIA/posts/251204728335575

http://www.theinfostrides.com/index.php?topic=95030.0;imode

http://website.edostate.gov.ng/edo-doctors’-strike-reckless-oshiomhole-0
help urself man,i will give u more
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55107:-why-doctors-other-health-workers-disagree-over-health-bill&catid=93:science&Itemid=608
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by deols(f): 5:35pm On Jun 26, 2013
Let the government do the right thing o jare.

It seems the only language they understand is strike?
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by deols(f): 5:39pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

So you think the one they have is good enough and they should not seek upgrade?

Unfortunately, the patients suffer the consequences more.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 5:49pm On Jun 26, 2013
deols:

So you think the one they have is good enough and they should not seek upgrade?

Unfortunately, the patients suffer the consequences more.

in the health sector, who receives as much salary as you do..yet you wont allw other professions agitate...you want more...you strike. because you know the helpless patient will suffer...God will judge you all who champion and support strike at every slightest provocation...if police goes on strike...wont u suffer,but they dont because they undstnd the importance of their job...the question is do you?

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 6:24pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

http://www.theinfostrides.com/index.php?topic=95030.0;imode

http://website.edostate.gov.ng/edo-doctors’-strike-reckless-oshiomhole-0
help urself man,i will give u more
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55107:-why-doctors-other-health-workers-disagree-over-health-bill&catid=93:science&Itemid=608

Very good bro. Now, I'm beginning to enjoy the flow.

To your first link:

I've gone through it, and it seems to me you still don't get the point.
From that link, I did not see any request for improved quality of healthcare, whether in terms of request for more human resources or equipment to better position the nurses, pharmacists or what have you in the efficient discharge of their duties.
What I saw is an agitation for double promotion (skipping a level or sth) etc.

This is in no way similar to what NARD is asking for. Increased funding of residency training means making the nigerian teaching hospitals perfectly conducive for the standard training of doctors and better patient care. That is, telling FG to give the teaching hospitals the facilities they lack.

We complain that politicians and wealthy nigerians travel abroad for the slightest treatment. I think it's because they know nigerian teaching hospitals lag behind in terms of diagnostic and therapeutic facilities. Likewise, many doctors, nurses, pharmacists etc leave the shores of this country to practice in a 'saner' environment in the developed world. Do you think they just wanted to leave for no reason? A major reason why many do so is in order to have better job satisfaction. Job satisfaction is not just a function of how much you earn, but the ability to do your job efficiently and get results within the shortest possible time. I tell you, the nigerian system can be very frustrating.

Again, I think the NARD is on the right path. If they wanted increased wages, they will say like they have done in the past. This is not a request for more wages but a request for sanity.

Thanks. I'll be right back with comments on your other links. smiley

10 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nelkonrugip: 6:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
accepted
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Tinoxky: 6:36pm On Jun 26, 2013
Days are Gone when Health practitioners work To Serve Humanity and safe live... These days its all about money! Money!! Money!!!, when Last has it been announced that doctors when on strike because of Inadequate Equipment in the hospital? UNTIL Administrative Work is handed over to Those who Studied administration in Nigeriat hospitals, this rubbish will never Stop!

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 26, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by jmichael(m): 6:41pm On Jun 26, 2013
nas 00:

Very good bro. Now, I'm beginning to enjoy the flow.

To your first link:

I've gone through it, and it seems to me you still don't get the point.
From that link, I did not see any request for improved quality of healthcare, whether in terms of request for more human resources or equipment to better position the nurses, pharmacists or what have you in the efficient discharge of their duties.
What I saw is an agitation for double promotion (skipping a level or sth) etc.

This is in no way similar to what NARD is asking for. Increased funding of residency training means making the nigerian teaching hospitals perfectly conducive for the standard training of doctors and better patient care. That is, telling FG to give the teaching hospitals the facilities they lack.

We complain that politicians and wealthy nigerians travel abroad for the slightest treatment. I think it's because they know nigerian teaching hospitals lag behind in terms of diagnostic and therapeutic facilities. Likewise, many doctors, nurses, pharmacists etc leave the shores of this country to practice in a 'saner' environment in the developed world. Do you think they just wanted to leave for no reason? A major reason why many do so is in order to have better job satisfaction. Job satisfaction is not just a function of how much you earn, but the ability to do your job efficiently and get results within the shortest possible time. I tell you, the nigerian system can be very frustrating.

Again, I think the NARD is on the right path. If they wanted increased wages, they will say like they have done in the past. This is not a request for more wages but a request for sanity.

Thanks. I'll be right back with comments on your other links. smiley

Young man, I get point. It is well articulated. Bt ma grouse wit d strike action is dat docs r takin it personal, as if in d hospitals dey r d ones dat do all d works. Nw ua goin on strike coz of lack of equipments(if at all), forgettin dat dis same lack of equipment, among oda tins also affect oda health care practitioners. It wld av made sense if d headline read: healthcare practitioners (docs , pharms,nurses and labs) embark on strike due to lack of equipment among oda tins. Make ur struggle a comprehensive and less political one. Little wonda y most pple r interpreting dis as greed, selfishness, arrogance etc of d docs (I am even tempted to join dem).

4 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by speckless: 6:44pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

in the health sector, who receives as much salary as you do..yet you wont allw other professions agitate...you want more...you strike. because you know the helpless patient will suffer...God will judge you all who champion and support strike at every slightest provocation...if police goes on strike...wont u suffer,but they dont because they undstnd the importance of their job...the question is do you?
Its obvious this young man is one of the support staff in the hospital who blindly disagree with any agitation by the progressives to move the health system/hospital forward. All patients come to the hospital to see the doctor, all hand must therefore be on deck to make this a comfortable experience for both parties.
Nice post nas00.
Kudos NARD!

3 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by otokx(m): 6:45pm On Jun 26, 2013
This is one too many.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Wendyslim(f): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
Dem no dey tire?
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by nas00(m): 6:57pm On Jun 26, 2013
@'on a good day':

Your second link is essentially the same as the first.

Third link ain't got no content.

Last link talks about the national health bill, where everyone is demanding for health reforms, pharmacists, lab scientists, nurses and all inclusive. It'll be nice to have the necessary ammendment made and the bill signed by the executive for the better of all.
Again, I there was no point where I read that certain doctors antagonised improved TRAINING of other health professionals.

Therefore, let FG make the necessary provisions for training world class specialists in our obodo 9ja smiley

It is possible, cos if India, a developing country like Nigeria is making sense in that regard, then, with our vast human and material resources, all that remains is a government willing to achieve these things.

5 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Ignatio(m): 7:05pm On Jun 26, 2013
Our politicians deserve to be shot.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2013
anoda thread ooo....drs wl receive plenty insult frm black belle people......eya drs

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2013
jmichael:

Young man, I get point. It is well articulated. Bt ma grouse wit d strike action is dat docs r takin it personal, as if in d hospitals dey r d ones dat do all d works. Nw ua goin on strike coz of lack of equipments(if at all), forgettin dat dis same lack of equipment, among oda tins also affect oda health care practitioners. It wld av made sense if d headline read: healthcare practitioners (docs , pharms,nurses and labs) embark on strike due to lack of equipment among oda tins. Make ur struggle a comprehensive and less political one. Little wonda y most pple r interpreting dis as greed, selfishness, arrogance etc of d docs (I am even tempted to join dem).

on point bro...ur head dey there

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by onagoodday1: 7:17pm On Jun 26, 2013
speckless:
Its obvious this young man is one of the support staff in the hospital who blindly disagree with any agitation by the progressives to move the health system/hospital forward. All patients come to the hospital to see the doctor, all hand must therefore be on deck to make this a comfortable experience for both parties.
Nice post nas00.
Kudos NARD!

progressives huh!!!....u r just an alliterate...u.need.good/better education

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by dapachez: 7:21pm On Jun 26, 2013
Let the government handle this issue with kid gloves and they will know how far the doctors can go. You don't step on the tail of the viper without getting some of its venom in your leg#teamstrikecontinues till the government succumbs#
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by emmaliver(m): 7:25pm On Jun 26, 2013
yes bro u are perfectly in order. the oerson calling doctors arrogant etc probably doesnt understand he might be the victim tomorrow.........

their action?"

1. More facility 'n equipment for training in teaching hospitals. Particularly machines used to further investigate patients' condition, which guuides the doctor in better treating the patients.

Who buys my ideas?

1 Like

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by Inoknowbook: 7:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin!
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by docnuges: 7:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
No one is holding other health care workers back from joining the strike, the beef a lot of people have for doctors make them blind to simple reasoning,how some people think is mind blowing. The strike has started, if u don't like it go and hug transformer.

5 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by AdekunleBalogun: 7:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
I work in an hospital environment, and I know this doctors are well payed, but if they are fighting for increase in their salary or in any sort of allowance, I will say that's a very callous attitudes from the doctors but if they are asking for better facilities to be able to treat the patients better, I will totally supports them.
Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by tunesoft(m): 7:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
I believe pple shud start opening their eyes to see nd not blinded by the unboastful fact that doctors are the most paid in the health sector. B4 nko...who's's supposed to be the most paid...are they not the head of the team. Well, the fight isnot not just doctors by the way...its for the patients and the health sector as a whole....for God's sakes, if the residency trainingprogramme is well funded. OJB won't be flyin abroad for kidney transplant...the whole of Ogn state can't boast of a single MRI machine...this is basic care the pple reequire...

3 Likes

Re: Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today by docnuges: 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
on a good day:

it is difficult to respond to this without insulting up, so I'll just ignore it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Brain Drain: Nigeria Left With 24,000 Doctors – NMA / The Sorry State Of Immanuel General Hospital Eket Akwa Ibom State / 2 Out Of 3 Suspected Coronavirus Cases Negative - Osagie Ehanire Health Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.