Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (76944 Views)

Difference Between B Tech And B Sc Accounting / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:35am On Aug 14, 2009
@HND-holder

How far with the white paper? i thought you said you will send it. I have sent a mail to your box, you can forward it with me.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 8:03am On Aug 19, 2009
please re send the mail I will surely gave the details to you. Regards
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 4:31pm On Aug 19, 2009
you can now check your mail box. the memo saying HND is free is there.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2009
@HND-holder
Thanx, i've seen it. i pray they implement it fully. What about going for further studies? can HND holders go straight for Msc or MTech?
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 1:30pm On Aug 20, 2009
we are waiting for the polytechnics to start the Master for the HND/B.Tech
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 8:30am On Sep 18, 2009
@Hnd-holder

HND holders are still crying o; they are been discriminated again by ministry of interior. HND holders - inspector, while Degree holders - Asst. supt.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:30am On Sep 18, 2009
thank you we are all waiting for the head of service of the federation circular.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 10:46am On Sep 18, 2009
Hnd-holder:

thank you we are all waiting for the head of service of the federation circular.

which circular? see nigerians are tired of waiting i beg.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2009
We waited for 36 years HND holders can still wait for 12 weeks more
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 18, 2009
At everybody who has got Beef for HND!!!!!
IM proud to be an HND holder.I can raise my head up anyday and step up to any competition anywhere at any given time.im not dependent on the limitations the society has placed on me.i decide where i want to be and ill get to the zenith of my career.
I have attended interviews with the so called BSC,BTECH,BENG,B-watever holders who could not reply simple Engineering questions and here in this forum someone opens their 'gaddem' mouth that to get an HND is easy?
I have met a B.A linguistics holder from a south south university who could not write a simple Formal letter.
My point is we can not all be BSC graduates but for a BSC holder to open his/her big mouth and bullshit an HND holder just because he/she has a BSC is a sacrilege!!!!!!! we are all Human beings and we should treat ourselves with repect.

To my Fellow HND holders
Keep your Head up and dont let the so called discrimination weigh you down.I once worked in a firm that discriminates. i got uncomfortable and i left for a much better one.take the opportunities you have and upgrade if you can!!!!!!!
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2009
There is no need to look down or say any negative things about anybody. It is a fact that some HND and Degree holders are not sound. Let us be happy that your skills will prove you now. we are waiting for the head of service to issue the circular of equality then we can test each other with what he has upstairs than paper tiger we are used to.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 9:05pm On Sep 20, 2009
@HND Holder specifically. I tackled you at the beginning of this post because you perpetuate a belief that i believe is ultimately detrimental to our progress. So Sir (you pointedly reminded me of your age in one of the many threads in which we traded arguments), please join the other HND holders and pay attention to what I have to say.

@the other HND holders: There are few things worse than a man who deliberately chooses not to better himself. You seem happy to remain at that level. Is it
----A reluctance to accept your inadequacy and actually learn further.
----willingness to get paid more while actually knowing less. I frankly dont know.
I hope they dont accept that equality nonsense. they are not equal anywhere in the world and nigeria cannot be a special case of backwardness. thanks.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:31am On Sep 23, 2009
You seem not to understand the problem of Nigeria HND. It is richer than any one obtain from any where in the world. It is of degree status. I am a PhD holder in engineering but I own HND before my masters degree. It is a crime for going through the polytechnic according to Federal ministry of Education even with Masters degree or PhD you are not a convoke Hnd holders in Nigeria suffer those things called discrimination why? This must stop this year in Nigeria. Nigeria is the only country awarding such HND in Africa.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 5:15pm On Sep 23, 2009
kodewrita:

@HND Holder specifically. I tackled you at the beginning of this post because you perpetuate a belief that i believe is ultimately detrimental to our progress. So Sir (you pointedly reminded me of your age in one of the many threads in which we traded arguments), please join the other HND holders and pay attention to what I have to say.

@the other HND holders: There are few things worse than a man who deliberately chooses not to better himself. You seem happy to remain at that level. Is it
----A reluctance to accept your inadequacy and actually learn further.
----willingness to get paid more while actually knowing less. I frankly dont know.
I hope they dont accept that equality nonsense. they are not equal anywhere in the world and nigeria cannot be a special case of backwardness. thanks.

Like HND-holder has rightly said, you seem not to understand the problem of nigerian HND. The HND curriculum in nigeria is more or else a Bsc. I always wonder why Bsc holders believe that their curriculum is richer than that of the HND? i have checked thru both polytechnic and university curricula, i have found out that the polytechnic curriculum is wider and richer than the Degree curriculum; if not why is it that polytechnic graduates know a lot of things that university graduates don't know?
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 5:24pm On Sep 23, 2009
The salary I earn per month with my HND will convincingly pay kodewrita salary for two years. With four masters degree he will not be able to stand near any of my followers. I do not have anything to say until I am able to paste the head of service circular here.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 7:43pm On Sep 23, 2009
@ HNDHolder you obviously assume I work for some bank or am some hungry programmer. I would not like to name the company where I work but at the same time, what i am paid on an annual basis is equivalent to what a guy won recently on one Q and A national TV show. that should give you an idea. I could buy a car every other month on my salary if i want (not adding my income from investments anyway).

But you are still proving my point. even though we are all big men where i work, the HND guys still get paid less even if they do rig work.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 7:50pm On Sep 23, 2009
@zebra I am yet to meet a HND holder who knows the specifics of core computer science (I am not talking about street programming and itinerant web designing) as I do. I am talking about core data structures and optimiztion of scientific algorithms. that is total balderdash (forgive the harsh words).

Any competent (i stress that word) university student brings to the job more than just technical knowledge but all so a greater understanding of implications.

You may refuse to accept it but that is the reality.

I am a firm believer in truth. It is the second principle in my life besides a belief in Christ. I believe if a man accepts the truth, it is a blinding light that cannot but make him a leader. it is the reason for my personal success so far. I am not speaking out of pure bias but simple plain observation. Get more money if thats the obstacle BUT go back to school to get that B.Sc . IT IS NOT TOO LATE.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 9:49am On Sep 24, 2009
kodewrita:

@zebra I am yet to meet a HND holder who knows the specifics of core computer science (I am not talking about street programming and itinerant web designing) as I do. I am talking about core data structures and optimiztion of scientific algorithms. that is total balderdash (forgive the harsh words).

Any competent (i stress that word) university student brings to the job more than just technical knowledge but all so a greater understanding of implications.

You may refuse to accept it but that is the reality.

I am a firm believer in truth. It is the second principle in my life besides a belief in Christ. I believe if a man accepts the truth, it is a blinding light that cannot but make him a leader. it is the reason for my personal success so far. I am not speaking out of pure bias but simple plain observation. Get more money if thats the obstacle BUT go back to school to get that B.Sc . IT IS NOT TOO LATE.

you still have not told us why the Bsc is better than the HND. Please Bsc computer science curriculum is not as rich as the ND/HND curriculum. you can carry out ur research again and see. You can also do a research again, you will also find out that ND/HND in Statistics curriculum is richer than Bsc Statistics curriculum. There are so many good courses in Statistics that the HND guys do that Bsc don't do here in nigeria; eg. SQC, Econometrics, Medical statistics. Please tell us what makes a Bsc in nigeria now better than the HND??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:30am On Sep 24, 2009
@zebra

Leave this thomas alone
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 3:07pm On Sep 24, 2009
@HND-holder

They always claim that the university curriculum for Bsc program is superior when compared with that of polytechnic; but none of them have been able to tell us why and how it is superior. The fact remains that the nigerian HND was established with the sole aim of producing graduates with technological skills, and the qualification obtained (HND) is not the same as the theoretical Bsc/BA Degree but equivalent to it.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by slimslim: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2009
Sincerely, I have not seen the reason for discrimination between HND and Bsc. My experience as a Bsc and HND holder has revealed that Bsc is overrated, and that knowledge in our society is based on paper qualification and not on what one has upstairs.

I went for a Bsc in the same course I have an HND in, not because I was discriminated against but to acquire more knowledge and be at the peak of my career. Maybe, it’s due to the fact that my course is in the social science, but I must confess that the HND curriculum is far richer.

I have also been part of several interviews where HND holders performed extremely better than their Bsc counterparts, for same job positions.

For all you HND holders out there, don’t look down on yourself. Improve yourself if you can. And aim higher. It is well.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2009
slimslim:

Maybe, it’s due to the fact that my course is in the social science, but I must confess that the HND curriculum is far richer.

I have also been part of several interviews where HND holders performed extremely better than their Bsc counterparts, for same job positions.

For all you HND holders out there, don’t look down on yourself. Improve yourself if you can. And aim higher. It is well.

please help me tell those of them that just believe that the Bsc course is better than the HND when they have never experienced it before. i happen to do the same course (statistics) in poly and later in the university; poly curriculum is richer than university curriculum. i'm talking from experience.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2009
It was my HND note I used for my masters programm and I obtained 4.57/5.
We only have a date with the head of service on the issue
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 12:29pm On Sep 25, 2009
Hnd-holder:

It was my HND note I used for my masters programm and I obtained 4.57/5.
We only have a date with the head of service on the issue

i also used my ND/HND notes to teach people doing MBA program.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2009
I firmly believe it would be a big mistake for Nigeria to agree to this.

Its like cutting the giraffe's neck because you can't reach the tree leaves with your teeth.

zebra:

i also used my ND/HND notes to teach people doing MBA program.

so what. who says the knowledge in both cases has to be mutually exclusive. If you only taught them that without going outside your note. then you have cheated them and are responsible for all these people claiming B.Sc is not better . Why. because by recycling those notes, you are bringing them down to that same level.

zebra:

please help me tell those of them that just believe that the Bsc course is better than the HND when they have never experienced it before. i happen to do the same course (statistics) in poly and later in the university; poly curriculum is richer than university curriculum. i'm talking from experience.

My bias would be a result of schooling in a private uni where the curriculum is not as outdated as in the public unis. it is hard for me to believe such since the other D.E students from polytechnics actually did not know any better than I did. In fact, my cambridge A Level Computing was far superior in breadth compared to what they had in spite of the fact that they could get jobs with their OND and i couldn't with my A Level.

Correctly taught and administered, A B.Sc anywhere in the world (And we are supposed to be aiming for world standard) is far superior to a HND. its like comparing harvard with a community college (which gives an equivalent of HND called associate degree). they just dont match.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 6:36pm On Sep 26, 2009
@kodewrita

Yes I used some of my HND notes in Statistics and Operations Research to teach MBA students who were always running and begging me to teach them Quantitative Analysis and Decsion Analysis. I used those notes for them because their syllabus had some of those things i had already done in the polytechnic. And for sure it really helped them. I also used those same HND notes while i was doing my Bsc in one of Nigeria's prestigious 1st generation universities, and it really helped me. Take it or leave it, the HND curriculum is richer than the Bsc curriculum; i can confidently tell you this because i have experienced both. You and others who don't know have made the society believe that universities teach more or learn more than polytechnics at the undergraduate level, which is not true.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2009
i still put it to you that the volume of work you do to get a Bsc is less than that of the HND in nigeria.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 6:01pm On Oct 12, 2009
Actually HND and Bsc are not the same. HND is technically or practically biased while Bsc is theoretically biased. But the problem is the discrimination against those that are technically biased; and our question is why the discrimination against holders of HND certificate?? No good reason has ben given so far. Some will say it is the lecturers, some will say it is the entry requirement, some will say it is the size of the school, and other funny reasons. Why the discrimination pls??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Gamesmart: 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2009
Nchara:

Does anyone remember this guy who wrote an article about discrimination against HND here on nairaland, on NVS and in several Nigerian newspaper some three years ago? I am talking about Christian Dimkpa. While checking out on some academic documents on the net, I came across his work done between 2006 and 2009 during his PhD study. I understand that he is now in the USA on postdoctoral employment after completing his PhD in Germany earlier this year. Look what a HND holder can do:

Dr. Christian Dimkpa (HND, Nigeria; MSc, Belgium; PhD, Germany; postdoctoral Fellowship, USA).

Is this not a challenge for our youths who think HND is a death mark? Here are links to some of his publication:

http://rparticle.web-p.cisti.nrc.ca/rparticle/AbstractTemplateServlet?calyLang=eng&journal=cjm&volume=54&year=0&issue=3&msno=w07-130

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TC7-4TVHG8J-1&_user=464852&_coverDate=01%2F31%2F2009&_rdoc=21&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%235163%232009%23999589998%23761105%23FLA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=5163&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=24&_acct=C000022310&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=464852&md5=d30f5d91ca982b7c9976472e4398407c

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V74-4TVFYKG-6&_user=464852&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2008&_rdoc=5&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%235832%232008%23999259998%23701932%23FLA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=5832&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=27&_acct=C000022310&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=464852&md5=cf50e1b5882f03c8db43e2de172ff260

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122342530/abstract

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120118690/issue

Wo, HND dey try o.

Why the discrimination?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.