Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples (13014 Views)

Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / The Igbo And Ibibio Traditional Wedding;comparing Notes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by odumchi: 4:56am On Jun 30, 2013
Eastern Nigeria is home to three dynamic cultural worlds: that of the Igbo, that of the Ijo, and that of the Ibibio-Efik. At a distance, the Igbo and Ibibio-Efik peoples may seem unrelated and entirely different in all cultural aspects. However, a closer look will reveal that these two groups of peoples are actually quite similar. Here are 11 supporting "fun facts":
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by odumchi: 5:03am On Jun 30, 2013
1. Just like certain Igbo groups salute "Igbo mmammanu", the Annang also have this salutation.

The Annang salute:
[Name of group] mmamma,
Response: yo
[Name of group] mma,
Response: yo
[Name of group] mmalee
Response: yooo

The Igbo salute:
[Name of group] mmammanu
Response: ei
[Name of group] mmammanu
Response: ei
[Name of group] mmammanu
Response: eeeh

2. The word oyoyo means 'dear' in both the Igbo and Efik languages.

3. Uwa means 'world' in both Igbo and Ibibio-Efik. Igbo would say 'Uwa mu' whereas the Ibibio-Efik would say 'Uwa mi'.

4. Obasi, meaning 'God' in certain Igbo dialects, is a corruption of the Ibibio-Efik Abasi.

5. The Ibibio-Annang masquerade genre known as Ekpo is practiced by Igbo groups in Abia and Imo states.

6. The Ekpe masquerade cult and the Iyamba (women's Ekpe cult) are both practiced by the Efik and certain Igbo groups in Abia and Ebonyi states.

7. Igbo town-naming traditions often place the prefix 'Umu-' before a towns name to denote descent. The Ibibio-Efik peoples also do the same. Their own version is 'Ikot-'.

8. The Efik and Igbo share market days. I'll post the names of the market days when I remember them.

9. Utazi (a vegetable) in Igbo is utasi in Efik.

10. Udele (vulture) in Igbo is utere in Efik.

11. The Igbo and the Ibibio-Annang both use leopard hats as indicators of membership in leopard societies and political cults.

12. The practice of sending an engaged maiden to a fattening house (known in Abia State as 'mgbede'), where she will be well-looked after and prepared for marital life, is observed by both the Igbo and Ibibio-Efik.

3 Likes

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 6:47am On Jun 30, 2013
Is that so?
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by tpia5: 6:49am On Jun 30, 2013
yes, they're the same, especially with the cult stuff.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by odumchi: 7:24am On Jun 30, 2013
If you guys have any, post them.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 7:34am On Jun 30, 2013
I do not know of the maiden fattening room tradition in igboland. I got to know of it as practiced by the Rivers and Akwaibom states.

Have you read or heard of the history of the Item people? It will buttress this your research.

Igbos call Plantain Ikom, Efik/ibibio call it Ikam

Quite a lot in common, i'll post as I remember. We truely are one in this country
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 8:11am On Jun 30, 2013
Gboliwe: I do not know of the maiden fattening room tradition in igboland. I got to know of it as practiced by the Rivers and Akwaibom states.

Have you read or heard of the history of the Item people? It will buttress this your research.

Quite a lot in common, i'll post as I remember. We truely are one in this country
Wow, am really interested in this. I wish to know more about ''Item Okpi: Ala gbawa Ôrachie''...
Gboliwe I need the written history of my people. I've got myself full with distorted oral history.
NB: The maiden 'cosmetic' preparation was a common traditional practice in Item Land although it's no longer observed: no thanks to Christianity and westernization.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 8:14am On Jun 30, 2013
donigspain: Wow, am really interested in this. I wish to know more about ''Item Okpi: Ala gbawa Ôrachie''...
Gboliwe I need the written history of my people. I've got myself full with distorted oral history.
bia! Are you from Item?
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 8:18am On Jun 30, 2013
Gboliwe:
bia! Are you from Item?
Mbu onye Item... Gu nwa kwanu?
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 8:32am On Jun 30, 2013
donigspain: Mbu onye Item... Gu nwa kwanu?
ikpa ra ezi?
m bu onye Okoko. Gu nwa kwanu?
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 8:59am On Jun 30, 2013
Gboliwe: ikpa ra ezi?
m bu onye Okoko. Gu nwa kwanu?
Mbu onye Okai... Jokwa nwanne m nwoke.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 9:06am On Jun 30, 2013
donigspain: Mbu onye Okai... Jokwa nwanne m nwoke.
chineke! *gives him a hug* jokwa nwanne m. Kama, mbu nwami, a bughim nwoke. jokwa nnu.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 9:09am On Jun 30, 2013
Gboliwe:
chineke! *gives him a hug* jokwa nwanne m. Kama, mbu nwami, a bughim nwoke. jokwa nnu.
Chai, ewola iwo. Amam ele ibu nwa-ada... Gbeeka nnu. *Returns hug*
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 9:13am On Jun 30, 2013
donigspain: Chai, ewola iwo. Amam ele ibu nwa-ada... Gbeeka nnu. *Returns hug*
nsogbu a duya. O nwanem ihe ibu.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by eagleeye2: 11:30am On Jun 30, 2013
Gboliwe:
nsogbu a duya. O nwanem ihe ibu.
Gboliwe, isi ibu nwami? Ma m' che ma iburi nwoke...
Donigspain yara Gboliwe, ma unu bu ndi ngwo nke ayi.... mbu onye Igbere...Ndewo nu, umunne m.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by eagleeye2: 11:35am On Jun 30, 2013
Donigspain,
Ihero hu onwa ina ako a NL, obu ihe mme me? Ma ona ari adum ele akuko ifo, bu ihe i na akoro ndi ifoń
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
eagle,eye:
Donigspain,
Ihero hu onwa ina ako a NL, obu ihe mme me? Ma ona ari adum ele akuko ifo, bu ihe i na akoro ndi ifoń
Nwanne m nwoke, obu ihe mee eme (true life)... Ndeewo, obu dum mma ima ele ibu onye ngwe anyi.

1 Like

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by odumchi: 8:40am On Jul 03, 2013
Gboliwe: I do not know of the maiden fattening room tradition in igboland. I got to know of it as practiced by the Rivers and Akwaibom states.

The maiden fattening room tradition is practiced in Abia and Ebonyi States and is known as 'mgbede' or 'nkpi', depending on where you are. In northern Abia, it's practiced by the Aro and Abiriba/Ohafia. In the south, it's practiced by the Ngwa.

And no, I haven't read Item history. I'll look out for it, though.

1 Like

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
Odumchi, this is a nice thread but I think its important to be specific about the kind of Igbo that share those similarities with Efik/Ibibbio. Those of us who are from Anambra,Anioma,Enugu and Imo do not share any cultural similarities with Efik/Ibibbio,at least non that I know of. Moreso,it is paramount to know that most peripheral Igbo in Abia originated from Efik/Ibibbio,hence the cultural similarities. The most undiluted Igbo culture has nothing in common with Efik/Ibibbio. People show take note of this. And I am not saying Abians aren't pure Igbo,either.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Odumchi, this is a nice thread but I think its important to be specific about the kind of Igbo that share those similarities with Efik/Ibibbio. Those of us who are from Anambra,Anioma,Enugu and Imo do not share any cultural similarities with Efik/Ibibbio,at least non that I know of. Moreso,it is paramount to know that most peripheral Igbo in Abia originated from Efik/Ibibbio,hence the cultural similarities. The most undiluted Igbo culture has nothing in common with Efik/Ibibbio. People show take note of this. And I am not saying Abians aren't pure Igbo,either.
lol. So what do you mean by periphereal igbo? And who are the 'undiluted' igbos?

3 Likes

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
This Statement Has Been Withdrawn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Afam4eva(m): 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
donigspain: From the DEEPEST part of my HEART and the 'SANEST' part of my MIND, I say you are an ÏDÏOT.
Don't try patronizing me with your last sentence.
NB: Too bad a supposed brother is the first person I ever used curse word against on Nairaland.
You guys should always ignore that guy. He's a black sheep.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 7:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
This Statement Has Been Withdrawn
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Gboliwe: 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2013
donigspain: I thought as much.
Thanks bro...
dont be too quick bro. Beware of that one too
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 8:03pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gboliwe:
Lol...
But on a serious note, how can we unite and move forward if there is this much distrust and segregation amongst us. *shudders*
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
You guys should always ignore that guy. He's a black sheep.

Haha;Nekwa nwa Wawa ka ona agbo uja ka nkita....lol
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gboliwe:

Hahahahahahhahaa; Wey Afam dey ? He needs to see this... grin
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
donigspain: From the DEEPEST part of my HEART and the 'SANEST' part of my MIND, I say you are an ÏDÏOT.
Don't try patronizing me with your last sentence.
NB: Too bad a supposed brother is the first person I ever used curse word against on Nairaland.

Brother,embrace me let drink nkwuocha and eat kola nut. I have only love for you. Udo.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gboliwe:
lol. So what do you mean by periphereal igbo? And who are the 'undiluted' igbos?

Sister,we cool,right ? I love you. Iwe unu adina oku. Udo.
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by ChinenyeN(m): 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli, you're really not in any real position to be making authoritative statements on the discussion. Simply enjoy the thread. Also, we long ago established the non-existence of anything "pure Igbo". So, to begin claiming an "undiluted Igbo culture" simply doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by donigspain(m): 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Brother,embrace me let drink nkwuocha and eat kola nut. I have only love for you. Udo.
Udo Nwanne... I withdraw my earlier outburst. *apologies*
Re: 11 Factual Similarities Between The Igbo And Ibibio-efik Peoples by Ojiofor: 10:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Odumchi, this is a nice thread but I think its important to be specific about the kind of Igbo that share those similarities with Efik/Ibibbio. Those of us who are from Anambra,Anioma,Enugu and Imo do not share any cultural similarities with Efik/Ibibbio,at least non that I know of. Moreso,it is paramount to know that most peripheral Igbo in Abia originated from Efik/Ibibbio,hence the cultural similarities. The most undiluted Igbo culture has nothing in common with Efik/Ibibbio. People show take note of this. And I am not saying Abians aren't pure Igbo,either.

You are pathetic and too divisive for my liking..

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity / Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry / Worldwide Igbo Population Around 70 Million -world Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.