Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness (29500 Views)

Mad Woman Gives Birth In Ghana Again. Photos / Man Gives Birth To Baby Girl: His Wife Is The Father (Argentina) / 61-year-old Brazilian Woman, Gives Birth To Twins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Wisdytech(m): 7:55am On Jun 30, 2013
It was an overwhelming joy in St Ives Hospital, Lagos when a 53-year-old woman, (names withheld) was recently delivered of two bouncing baby boys.

The woman was conceived through Invitro Fertilisation,IVF, after having struggled for over 20 years without a child.

IVF is a process by which an egg is fertilised by sperm in the body. The process involves monitoring a woman’s ovulatory process, removing ovum or ova (egg or eggs) from the woman’s ovaries
and letting the sperm fertilise them in a fluid medium in a laboratory.

The fertilised egg (zygote) is then transferred to the patient’s uterus (womb) after three to five days of being in the incubator, with the intention of
establishing a successful pregnancy.

The elated woman, who pleaded anonymity, probably for cultural reasons, described it as “20 years of tensed
waiting for her marriage to produce fruits.”

The jubilant nursing mother and her husband said they were not after publicity but decided to speak to
the press in order to encourage couple who are presently facing similar challenges in their marriage, so they don’t give up, adding that it is never too late for anyone.

She admitted that she has almost giving up when it was obvious that menopause had set in, but continued to exercise her religious faith, until according to her, God directed her to St Ives Centre,
even when she was not having the required money to carry out the IVF circle.

“If one is in a marriage for two – three years, and has no child to show for it, as an African, there will be pressure, so mine was not exceptional. Though my people respected my person, there were pressures both from within and outside.

But l held on to God because I’m a strong Christian and l know He never fails. I serve a living God who is faithful despite our unfaithfulness.

“I heard about St. Ives just by chance. That was in September last year. Coincidentally, l did my Masters programme at Obafemi Awolowo University,OAU, very close to the hospital, and l never knew this place existed. It was divine and all things work together for those that love God.

“My advice to every woman wanting fruit of the womb is that they should hold on to God and l pray for them that their joy should come into manifestation soon. There is nothing impossible for God, it could be difficult with man, but certainly not with God. If He can do mine at 53, it shows that no case is concluded.

“For me, l see it as a reward of my past shame. God has given me double glory, my two boys. It is more than a miracle. And for the management of St Ives, l keep praying for them because they are not after one’s money, if they were, l couldn’t have registered.

“People used to call me Big Mummy, but God has given me a new and better name, ‘mummy twins’. l am now a fulfilled woman,” she narrated.

Her husband, who claimed to be four months older than his wife, said he knew his wife at age 12 when they were in secondary school, but time and space set them apart for separate marriages where the man was fortunate to have children unlike the woman.

Fate however reunited them to become a happy family again, having known each other for over 40 years.

He said the joy that the twins brought to the family had overridden their past apprehension; trauma and agony all through the years of his wife’s infertility, adding that she might have wept secretly on countless occasions.

“Today, all we are saying is thank you God. My wife had fasted and prayed and l believed that is why you see her looking like under sixteen now. I must confess that everybody is happy,” he said.

Reacting on the feat, Chief Medical Director of St Ives Hospital, Babatunde Okewale said the hospital’s Fertility Unit adopts a success-oriented approach towards infertility, focusing on solution for infertile couples at an affordable cost, rather than doing endless investigation and tests. READ MORE: http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/06/29/53-year-old-woman-gives-birth-to-twins-after-20-years-of-childlessness/

3 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 30, 2013
Congratulations to the woman, welcome to the world lovely twins. Life is good.
soon god-patronizers will flood here grin
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by rozayx5(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2013
good news, Technology has opened many doors indeed
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by 80million1: 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2013
PRAISE JESUS!

4 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by baby124: 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2013
The woman was conceived through Invitro Fertilisation,IVF, after having struggled for over 20 years without a child.

At least she is honest. Big congratulations and may they be a joy to you and your family. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Lilimax(f): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2013
I say a big Congratulation to you.
All things are possible to them that believe.

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by PDPvsAPC: 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
There is nothing God cannot do. He is the Most High.

I'm not surprised after all Sarah gave birth at the age of .........

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by supaeagles(m): 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
Wonderful story .... and interesting that NL FP has contrasting stories .... this thread is about a 53 year old woman giving birth after 20 years of waiting/wanting while in this other thread a mother abandons her child ... smh ... NL thread, mother abandons infant
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by sucreblazing(m): 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
Congrats big mummy. oh!! sorry mummy twins
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
Thank goodness she din't claim some God was responsible....the beauty of science.....

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by fitzmayowa: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
ile anu oluwa ki su

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by bellaberry: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
Wow. What a miracle. This is what they call double double blessing.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by somegirl1: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
baby_123:

At least she is honest. Big congratulations and may they be a joy to you and your family. cheesy

Is IVF something to hide? undecided

3 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
this is crap...Invitro Fertilization means that the woman didnt get pregnant...the Laboratory gave her a baby......they

got the husband's sperm and the woman's egg and fertilized the eggs in the lab.....doing is this way....a 70 year old woman

can get pregnant if she has any eggs left...
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by somegirl1: 5:17pm On Jul 02, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
this is crap...Invitro Fertilization [b]means that the woman didnt get pregnant...the Laboratory gave her a baby......they got the husbands sperm and the womans egg and fertilized the eggs in the lab.....doing is this way....a 70 year old woman can get pregnant if she has any eggs left...[/b]

Define pregnancy.

3 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by bignene(m): 5:18pm On Jul 02, 2013
the lord is good

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Diasporan(m): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
this is crap...Invitro Fertilization means that the woman didnt get pregnant...the Laboratory gave her a baby......they

got the husband's sperm and the woman's egg and fertilized the eggs in the lab.....doing is this way....a 70 year old woman

can get pregnant if she has any eggs left...
Please listen to yourself again ignoramus

6 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2013
A news to encourage others never to give up. Irrespective of your religion, IVF is not a sin.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by picaro(f): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2013
So who needs the praise? Jesus (God) or Science? Woman get your mind right and give credit to who its due. Congratulations, but if it wasn't for science, she'd still be fasting and praying, with pastors making a living off her.

4 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
some-girl:

Define pregnancy.

Well you are right...in actuality she did get pregnant...because with Invitro fertilization an 70 year old woman can get

pregnant....this is completely because of science....its no big deal..they should have even done it much earlier

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by 50calibre(m): 5:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
I'm sure it's a Yoruba woman, those people are super humans when it comes to reproduction

2 Likes

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Lakayanah: 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2013
991: Congratulations to the woman, welcome to the world lovely twins. Life is good.
soon god-patronizers will flood here grin
What do you mean? We should not glorify God who gave them the knowledge to do what they did? You will say science ko without God science can never be.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2013
Diasporan:
Please listen to yourself again ignoramus

I will do that...I do very much enjoy listening to my self from time to time...thanks

1 Like

Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by 50calibre(m): 5:24pm On Jul 02, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Well you are right...in actuality she did get pregnant...because with Invitro fertilization an 70 year old woman can get

pregnant....this is completely because of science....its no big deal..they should have even done it much earlier

That's not true, implant an embryo or zygote into a 70 year old woman, and it dies off immediately.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by eazysally: 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2013
Congrat am happy for u, my aunt went through d same trauma but after going to india for medical checks d womb finally conceived after 21 yrs of marriege without wasting time dey conceive again now dey have two children...knowing that this kind of clinic exist here n Nigeria exit me, at list ppl with dis kind of problem don't need to fly out.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by lion042(m): 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2013
We need picture of the woman and kids, lair
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by ubong560(m): 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2013
Why name 'with held'? Anyway, thanks to God but next time, dont try it.
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2013
50calibre:

That's not true, implant an embryo into a 70 year old woman, and it dies off immediately.

for the most part you are right...but there are some woman that still have eggs at that age..its very rear but some

do...and if you take their eggs and fertilize it in a lab...it could still survive....
Re: 53-year-old Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 20 Years Of Childlessness by cold(m): 5:27pm On Jul 02, 2013
Madam,you got your babies through IVF,i'm happy for you. Thanks to science,God has nothing to do with it. Your 20 years of fasting & prayers yielded nothing until you turned to science.So please spare us all these God this,God that..we aint buying

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! Drug Is Ruining My Relationship / South African Man Living With HIV For 19 Years Tells His Story / Japanese Students Pay N43,000 An Hour For Smiling Lessons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.