Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! (775 Views)

Three Arguments For God's Existence / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 9:29pm On May 14, 2008
this is to the christians and muslims fighting on this section about what religion is the best,which is fake and which is original,i have read countless comments where one is trying to convince the other about why their religion is false but i thinkyou all are not getting the point about religion in general,if you are sure you are a devout christian or a devout moslem ,why do you have to make sure the other person accept your view?why are you trying to convert either the moslem or the christian by force?all GOD asks of us as devout christians is to obey his words and commandments and to be a good christian and if you are a muslim,all that allah asks of you is to be a devout muslim,obey his words and commandments.

if you convert the whole of the christiandom to the islamic religion,if you do not follow your commandments and teachings ,im sure your allah will not forgive you and even if you convert the whole of the middle east to christianity,and you are a sinner as well, GOD will not automatically forgive you of any other sin you have committed so whats the point of the argument,face your religion and try and be a better person and more devout instead of expending that energy on convincing the other person that your religion is the best, you all know who you are,
pls if you have nothing sensible to say do not post at all,and fr people with sensible comments feel free
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by Lady2(f): 9:53pm On May 14, 2008
all GOD asks of us as devout christians is to obey his words and commandments and to be a good christian and if you are a a great one,all that god asks of you is to be a devout a great one,obey his words and commandments

How is it that one becomes a Christian or muuslim to observe the commandments? Isn't it by spreading of the gospel? Ofcourse fighting isn't supposed to be, but nothing wrong in discussions.
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by AKO1(m): 9:56pm On May 14, 2008
Men I feel you.

They are necessary on one hand. It is not everyone that challenges another religion or denomination that does so out of hatred or in an attempt to convert the others. For some, its a genuine desire to know. Moreover for others, its a genuine desire to know not just for knowledge's sake but to see the 'sense' behind what others are doing. It is important to see things from the other person's point of view. Then if it sounds 'incorrect' to you, you are further strengthened in what you stand for. Otherwise, you see the 'sense' behind it and switch sides.

There will always be differentiating religious beliefs. But we must learn to tolerate each other. Just because I (personally) wholeheartedly disagree with anything that is not in my bible is not a license to be hateful to the other person. Disagreements will always prompt discussions that challenge each other's beliefs and convictions. But what I've discovered is that because of the ubiquitous and natural tendency of man to always do wrong, every challenge is seen by the other party as being borne out of hatred; and the natural response is to fight back. Its understandable, especially when one has been brought up and 'brain-washed' into a belief system and someone around the corner thinks otherwise. But that does not mean the challenger is being intolerant.

As to trying to convert the other person, I will adress my christian brothers and sisters. You will notice that more often than not people were addedd to the church of God after a spectacular demonstration of God's power. You cannot convert someone by attacking them, it has never worked and it WILL NEVER work. Say your own and allow the Holy Spirit to do the conviction. If truly you were the vessel responsible for bringing that person to Christ, when you finally stand before God on judgement day God will judge them, not you.
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 10:00pm On May 14, 2008
~Lady~:

How is it that one becomes a Christian or muuslim to observe the commandments? Isn't it by spreading of the gospel? Ofcourse fighting isn't supposed to be, but nothing wrong in discussions.

pls hope you get the essence of the post?it should be clear to you from the epistle i v written, i meant the whole point of religion is to follow whatever commandments either the 10 commandments which is the corner stone of christianity and being a good christian or the islamic equivalent, no dissing but your nit picking rather than focusing on the bigger picture is what this thread is about
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 10:08pm On May 14, 2008
@ako
i get what you mean,and i must say i have learn from reading the comments and it has also challenged my reading more into these things but when it gets to the stage of my religion is better than yours,then what is the essence of our own personal beliefs, the way i see it is that if i am a good practising christian or muslim an atheist or pagan that admires my way of life will come to me and ask me what kind of religion i practise,look at the religious wars if both christians and muslims expend all that energy of fighting either physically or intellectually into being good xtians or muslims ,this worlds problem will have been solved long ago and we would be living in near paradise on earth, most people read the bible and quran so that they can score points and maybe browbeat the other into acceptng their point of view instead of focuse on the positives from both religions ,marry the two tgether and forget about the negatives, whatever we believe either right or wrong,the authors of both books are not presently with us so whats all the fuss about, i dont see hpw a muslim in these days can be a mouthpiece for mohammed and i dont see how a christian in this days can be a mouthpiece for jesus christ
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by Lady2(f): 10:11pm On May 14, 2008
please hope you get the essence of the post?it should be clear to you from the epistle i v written, i meant the whole point of religion is to follow whatever commandments either the 10 commandments which is the corner stone of christianity and being a good christian or the great religious equivalent, no dissing but your nit picking rather than focusing on the bigger picture is what this thread is about

I understand your full gist.
I didn't see the need to quote everything you said, so I fingered in on what would bring my point out the best.

Point is, we're to spread the Gospel of God. How else are we to do it, if we don't engage in discussions?
A_K_O explains it further. Not everyone that asks questions is doing it to start strife or point and ridicule.
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 10:43pm On May 14, 2008
~Lady~:

Point is, we're to spread the Gospel of God. How else are we to do it, if we don't engage in discussions?
A_K_O explains it further. Not everyone that asks questions is doing it to start strife or point and ridicule.
well,we could do it the old fashioned way,by our deeds and preaching, its now left to whoever takes to it or not,discussions are all well and good and i totally agree with that,but what prompted this is precisely that when discussion goes beyond that and it gets to mud slinging and "mine is better than yours" then i dont see how that glorifies either religion's GOD
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by AKO1(m): 10:48pm On May 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

@ako
i get what you mean,and i must say i have learn from reading the comments and it has also challenged my reading more into these things but when it gets to the stage of my religion is better than yours,then what is the essence of our own personal beliefs, the way i see it is that if i am a good practising christian or a great one an atheist or pagan that admires my way of life will come to me and ask me what kind of religion i practise,look at the religious wars if both christians and great ones expend all that energy of fighting either physically or intellectually into being good xtians or great ones ,this worlds problem will have been solved long ago and we would be living in near paradise on earth, most people read the bible and the great book so that they can score points and maybe browbeat the other into acceptng their point of view instead of focuse on the positives from both religions ,marry the two tgether and forget about the negatives, whatever we believe either right or wrong,the authors of both books are not presently with us so whats all the fuss about, i don't see hpw a a great one in these days can be a mouthpiece for the great prophet and i don't see how a christian in this days can be a mouthpiece for jesus christ

I appreciate and understand what you are saying. But I must confess to you that it is difficult, very very difficult to be silent when someone says something that disagrees with your beliefs. It is even worse when you dont know them, and you are miles apart from each other and hence would not suffer any of the consequences of being intolerant. This is the scenario on Nairaland. It is only on an online forum that you can insult someone that is twice your age or build without any fear or threat of a black eye, etc. That further compounds the problem. And think about this, in my immediate environment, there is not as much 'heat' concerning religion as there is on this forum even though the dissagreements are as stark as they are here. I guess this must be the same in your own environment and I'm inclined to think that the reason(s) why are similar to the one I mentioned above.

i don't see hpw a a great one in these days can be a mouthpiece for the great prophet and i don't see how a christian in this days can be a mouthpiece for jesus christ
Ermmm, I dont know about Great Ones but Jesus instructed christians to go into all the world and preach the gospel. In other words, Jesus was saying " I gotta go boys, continue what I started". So in essence, we are mouthpieces of Jesus today. But I dont think that Jesus would recommend us always attacking the other person's beilef as a way of convincing (or convicting as some people try to do) them. When youre trying to convince a brainwashed person otherwise, the last thing you want to do is attack them because thats like slapping them in the face and expecting them to smile at you; even children wont smile.

Truth really is that both religion's followers and aethists are brainwashed. It would take more than harsh words to convince them otherwise. It would take a logical counter-argument. Logic and fury do not complement each other.
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 5:59pm On May 17, 2008
@ako
i couldnt have said it better,you have analysied it nicely, but having said that the only conclusion for me personally is that both christians and muslims arguing about which religion is better are mostly selfish and self centered because i dont see it as a genuinely religious obligation on their part but but ego and also to show the other person up that he/she is more intelligent or that they can get the better of them,no matter how religious one is like u said ranting and raving about how true and right your religion is wouldnt change even an atheist not to talk of a religious individual
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 18, 2008
@ poster
I dont think so.
Basically ur lifestyle will ultimately be a reflection of who u are not the sweet words we sometimes gush out.
Like Christ said: "U r d Light of the world", Let the world see ur light by ur deeds not ur lyrics!
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by iku: 7:24pm On May 18, 2008
Most Importantly_

The only sure thing is DEATH and no two way about it.

All na story story.

Iku lo sure!

NEVER ASSOCIATE PARTNER WITH GOD.
Re: Are All The Arguments Really Necessary! by lucabrasi(m): 5:15pm On May 19, 2008
akyns:

@ poster
I don't think so.
Basically your lifestyle will ultimately be a reflection of who u are not the sweet words we sometimes gush out.
Like Christ said: "You r d Light of the world", Let the world see your light by your deeds not your lyrics!

exactly,i wish all religious zealots will do that and we wont have all the troubles in the world today,
@iku
yes o grin

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Download With Opera2.00 / Can U Teach Me::how To Pray / ~yoga~ Anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.