Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,970 members, 7,866,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:00 PM

Another Quarter Gone: Half The Cup Full (A True Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Another Quarter Gone: Half The Cup Full (A True Story) (595 Views)

Storm In The Cup / Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) / The Story Of Theophilus The Cultist. A True Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Another Quarter Gone: Half The Cup Full (A True Story) by Abisoyee(m): 1:14pm On Jun 30, 2013
To view this post with its pictures visit http://poshkidcharming./2013/06/30/another-quarter-gone-half-the-cup-full/

The Story
The last three months have been terrific, terrific in the sense that I have had a fruitful quarter. So many things have happened during these last three months and I can only look back in gratitude. For those that were opportune to have read my first ever post on the blog; ‘A Quarter Too Late,’ they will realize the changes that have taken place.

I remember that day when we were having the usual routine of coming to talk about the things we have achieved in the last three months of the year and how I had been dumfounded when dad asked me the things I have been up to and what I hope to achieve in the next three months. Then it had been a quarter too late, and it was all simply because I hadn’t been focused. I had been too carried away with the frivolities of teenage-hood to have realized I was wasting away precious time doing nothing profitable. Sitting at that table three months ago, I had been so desperate, trying to come up with something to say.

Walking to the table however last night was different, I walked majestically with my head up and my shoulders in a regal manner. I wasn’t intimidated by my lack of nothing to show this time around, because the last three months to me have been productive. The last three months, so many changed have taken place that I have become a shadow of the boy I used to be. Perhaps I wouldn’t even view myself as a boy no more, a young man growing into adulthood and understanding the responsibilities of life and the intricacies of the world. I grinned from ear to ear as we all took our seats at the table and waited for dad to start the age-long ritual of talking about the things we have done within the last three months. As was the custom, the eldest usually got to speak first so I waited my turn. My brother took the spot and spoke at length about the goals he had set for himself the last quarter and the ones he has been able to achieve and the ones still in the works. Dad was proud of him and beamed with the obvious adulation of a proud father. I snickered to myself and drummed my fingers against the table, fidgeting in my seat as I waited for my turn to come. My second brother took his turn and having always been one who didn’t talk much, he just gave us a quick summary of what has been happening with him and at last it was my turn.

My moment in the spotlight and I wasn’t about to rush it, I was going to savour the moment and relish in the taste of success. None of them had been aware of my activities, all they had known was that I seemed majorly occupied with things but they had all taken it as me having a new addiction on the internet. Boy were they wrong, I couldn’t wait to see the looks on their faces when I told my story. I cleared my throat and adjusted in my seat, their faces were turned to me; expectant. I looked from one to the other and quickly started when I saw the raised brow and impatient look on dad’s face.

I told them of how I had been so ashamed from last quarter’s meeting and wanted to do something worthwhile. After thinking of the things I could do, I had consulted a friend who had pushed me to take my writing a bit more seriously and even encouraged me to get a blog of my own. Having always had mixed feelings about my write ups I was a bit skeptical but he was adamant and in the end, I gave in. little did I know what I was getting into; I was apprehensive doing the first post ‘A Quarter Too Late’  but I was overwhelmed by the receptiveness of the readers. For a post on my blog, it was a major success for me and soon I was meeting people that wanted to do stuffs with me just because they thought I was good. I told them of the challenges I had, those moments of insecurities when I felt I wasn’t good and that maybe people actually laughed at my back and shook their head in pity. I shared the goodness of my close buddy, Dre and Generis that kept me going, their major supports and motivation and how things started changing. Three sites contacted me to write for them; at this point I couldn’t help being dramatic again. I paused for dramatic effect and looked round at all of them. Dad was staring at me with this half smile on his lips, mum was flushed with pride and my two brothers were staring in open admiration. For the first time, I felt I had done something right in everybody’s sight and I felt this elation in my stomach and the butterflies fluttered happily.

The three months had not been all a bed of roses either, the challenges were there. For instance it was hard trying to maintain school with all the writing when there was so much to do. Neither was I ready to give up my social life so I still had to create time to have fun. I told them of the doubts I still had but how that was always quickly taken care of by Dre and Generis, the duo that have been my biggest fans and kept pushing me to do things that even I didn’t know I could do. I told them of a post that I had wanted to do but was too scared to do because of its controversial nature and how Dre had pushed so much and even threatened to quit talking to me and eventually I wrote it. Till date it has been the best post ever written on the blog with the highest number of views and comments, who did I have to thank but him. The last three months I have met people I didn’t know before and now work with them to make myself much better.

By the time I finished, I was out of breath and I sat back in my chair to get myself back together. Dad had this to say: ‘Do us proud boy.’ That was enough for me, the next three months just had to be more successful so I can hear those words again and have the admiration. Who doesn’t love the limelight or the praise of their loved ones?

(1) (Reply)

P4:13 Creative Writing Competition / I Wish You Enough / My Resting Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.