Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,788 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

Programmer Vs Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmer Vs Developer (1175 Views)

Programmer Vs. Network Admin/engineer Vs: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmer Vs Developer by brightk(m): 3:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
Is there a proper use for one over the other, and in what scenarios? I just find this completely meaningless and trivial concept of programmer versus developer interesting. I’m odd that way. Any thoughts? How doyou like to be referred to, a programmer or a developer? What’s on your business card? Your resume? FYI, my job title has Programmer in it.
Re: Programmer Vs Developer by javadoctor(m): 4:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
Programming is just coding,developing is the combination of coding and configuration to build a project,developing might require u to learn a particular framework,or new libraries. For me I'm a developer,I build enterprise applications that can be deployed on an application server like glassfish,tomcat,jboss or oracle web logic. I needed to understand my development enviroment in j2ee,development will also require me to know the resources my application needs wen it is running on a VM,like d cpu shares,the cloudlets cycle,ram or cpu ,all these are not programming but development.

1 Like

Re: Programmer Vs Developer by Ajibel(m): 8:12pm On Jun 30, 2013
Really i dunno what is in both names though wikipedia has tried explaining but to me, the names are meaningless if you really know ur onions. My opinion oo
Re: Programmer Vs Developer by kambo(m): 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
this is an old debate that spooks the noob when they first get into software development.
for me it dont matter anymore.
but for the purist , here's what i'll say.
in some environments - there are classes of people who take design instructions
from some oga at the top and convert into working implementations.
These guys as u guess have the grunt jobs of doing the dirt work.
All the imagination has been done for them they are just to rotely do the transformation
from paper design and pictures of boxes and lines to curly braces and wat not.
in these situations the low level guys are the 'programmers/coders'

The high level guys fall into two categories.
the system analyst:
this one talks to the customers helps them flesh out wat really they need to be solved by software and gather all requirement details from them.
he helps the customer focus on the specifics until all the details are extracted.

Then he hands the details over to the software architect:
the architect and the system analyst (cud be one and the same guy wearing both hats),
now sit down to 'architect' i.e design the solution graphically.
The white board goes up, the uml diagrams are deployed and
design and redesign is done over and over again - an iterative process-
until finally, the full picture is gotten. This architecting phase can take a lot of time.
in some large software projects it cud run for a couple of years. (2-3 is not unusual).
Finally, the software blueprint is defined in visual terms.
words like Use cases, are the lingo of architects.
Its noteworthy also that some guys are architects without coding ability!

After the architectural phase, then comes the implementing phase.
Enter the programmer/team lead/ project manager.
A herd of programmers is assembled under a competent leader . to build the solution.
pieces of the puzzle are broken off and handed to teams to work on.
e.g
the team responsible for the view, the group responsible for the business logic etc.
the guys working on the actual programming are called programmers / developers.
developers is a more respectful term. if the guys are wrking in prestigious places and are well respected theyr addressed as software developers but if the guys are the sweat shop variety - u call them the more denigrating terms - programmers/coders.
one large software theyre even more specialized roles team members play.
for example - they wud be a dedicated build engineer:
he is responsible for resolving issues with the automated building system,
setting up source code access, priming the build server,
etc -
This guy cud very well be a software developer but due to the sheer size of the project
he now takes on a specialized non programming role.

one man/few man development team:
developer is used also in situations where the programmer - does more conceptual work.
like think up the software idea/ do the designing of the application making pros and cons design decisions / then actually sketch the blue print of the application to be built/ code up the project / write documentation/ deploy/maintain.

for the latter kind - you most call the software developer.

but after some years in this thing , like i said - it dont matter anymore!!.
for a tip: oracle exam that requires to actually build a working application is tagged
Developer exam. not programmer exam.
The ones that require to know the rubrics of the java language only is tagged "programmer" exam.
Take a cue from them.

(1) (Reply)

A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS / Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? / Proxy Help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.