Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? (1176 Views)

One Of The Best Languages For Beginners In Programming / Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) / Must My Array Or Pointer Allocation Have A Limit In C Or C++? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by Valon4ego(m): 9:20am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new year guys.

Is there a limit to what one can do or how good one can become without proper knowledge of mathematics? for languages like c#, c++ , Java, etc is there ever after time when it becomes absolutely necessary to know stuffs like binary numbers, calculus, etc?

Can someone who studied something like political science go all the way with software programming Languages without major challenges
Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by emmyvet(m): 12:37pm On Jan 01, 2015
Valon4ego:
Happy new year guys.

Is there a limit to what one can do or how good one can become without proper knowledge of mathematics? for languages like c#, c++ , Java, etc is there ever after time when it becomes absolutely necessary to know stuffs like binary numbers, calculus, etc?

Can someone who studied something like political science go all the way with software programming Languages without major challenges
Mathematics is very important but even if you are not that much good in mathematics no problem once you have the passion and also willing to develop your calculating sense..

Political science or any course of study is never a problem once you are willing to learn and also have the passion.

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by Mickie04: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2015
Programming is becoming the soul of all courses, and the good news is programming only require simple basic math wich every one can make use in his own language and datz why programming is a language. Go for it, it is well.
Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by Valon4ego(m): 4:18pm On Jan 01, 2015
I know any body can learn programming, am just curious to know whether there's a limitation somewhere without proper knowledge of some areas in mathematics. Someone mentioned something about smart card programming needing good knowledge of binaries, sometime ago. that's what I was talking about
Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by Javanian: 5:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Valon4ego:
I know any body can learn programming, am just curious to know whether there's a limitation somewhere without proper knowledge of some areas in mathematics. Someone mentioned something about smart card programming needing good knowledge of binaries, sometime ago. that's what I was talking about

There is a limit. I talked earnestly on this sometime ago. You can check this thread.

www.nairaland.com/1566655/dont-need-math

Mathematics is the lifeline of Computer science. A lot of CS theories and Algorithms are based on mathematics, some were even created by Mathematicians. But this isn't meant to discourage you, if you have the guts to learn Programming, I don't see why Maths should be much of a big deal. If you eventually get to a point were you need understanding of a maths concept in your Programming work, you can always learn, resources are aboud the web. Suffice to say, most programmers don't usually get to this stage, so you probably wouldn't as most of the Maths needed in the business world have already been abstracted.

4 Likes

Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by asalimpo(m): 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2015
Applications you can write without mathematics:

text editors
ides
web servers
web browsers
supermarket software
web crawlers
search engines
facebook
twitter
whatsap
google
programming languages
compilers
interpreters
operating systems
databases systems
anti viruses
source control systems
trading robots
etc

applications you can't write without maths:
photoshop
autocad
certain video games
speech to sound systems
audio software
archiving/data compression software

As you can see a whole class of software can b written without knowing more than primary6 mathematics.
Some of the sofware i mention as not requiring maths will need maths for efficient versions.
E.g you can create facebook without knowing graph theory
,formally, but to scale it to store 7billion objects will require heavy maths.
Math helps you reason objectively and analytically and precisely with discrete quantities.
Re: Is There A Limit To How Far One Can Go In Programming Without Mathematics? by bot101(m): 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2015
To Implement New Ideas, You Need A Lot Of Math And Also Good Knowledge Of Hardware Systems, But To Write Something That's Already Available You'll Easily Get Prewritten Code Off The Internet From People Who Have Done The Math For You E.G Jquery And All Other Graphic Packages. So This Is Just Telling You That You Need Advanced Math Knowledge If You Want To Be Able To Deliver Your Best.

(1) (Reply)

Android App Source Code / Check Out The New Version, 3.0 Of My Dairy App for Android / They Want To Send Me Back To My Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.