Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,941 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:13 PM

Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others (24879 Views)

What's The Present Situation Of Electricity In Your Area? / PWC Audit:Kola Aluko And Jide Omokore Given $7bn Assets By Diezanni Madueke / FG Announces N213bn Intervention Funds For Electricity Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 01, 2013
drake2005:

Very asinine, ignorant creature who doesn't understand how the world is run. How old are you?

Listen to me carefully, you can disagree with me as much as you but will educate you...............NO WESTERN, OR FORMER COLONIAL NATION OFFERS HELP TO AFRICA IN GOOD INTENTION. ANY HELP OFFERED TO AFRICA HAS THEIR INTEREST AT HEART.

I'm shocked you don't even know this and smugly spew your nonsense. Go and study history my friend...Lazy ass Negro who delight pleasure in calling sensible and educated individuals "Negros" when they have no and absolute knowledge of how the world is run.
am pretty sure i have a better Knowledge on how the world is run than your Negro azz....What is wrong with a country having the interest of it's people at heart? if the Nigerian government was like that...Nigeria wouldn't need handouts from the U.S am i wrong?
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by awodman: 8:00am On Jul 01, 2013
tatosh:

Why are you all trying so hard to paint GEJ in a bright picture? If he was realy that good, you don't need to be telling us the above, we would already know
Am not trying to paint anybody any good..am just stating the facts without sentiments...

all what have been listed so far have might not translated to much "physical" improvements in the light you see in your home..but the aim of listing the above is to let you and others know that the RIGHT steps are definitely been taken..and that when the end results start pouring in it will be phenomenal..
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 01, 2013
ballabriggs:

cnn.com

What a SHAME that Nigeria is included in the preliminary phase to show how the world sees Nigeria as a bastardized nation in terms of Power generation. We need to start thinking in this country... everyman to think how they can change their country.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Fingesi(m): 8:06am On Jul 01, 2013
mekaboy: THE SAME US GOVT THAT CALLS NIGERIAN GOVT CORRUPT WILL STILL GIVE OUT MONEY WHEN THEY KNOW IT WILL BE SHARED.

Yes bro. If the Americans can not oversee the project themselves and they dont agree to take responsibility of loses then we do not need their support. Na masses dey pay for our Leaders embezzlement. Would we at this time keep quiet when our children might grow up to still be clearing debt? I know our Leaders wouldnt mind to keep us in blackout over months just to manipulate us into thinking that this Obamas fund is all we needed for electrical power to be stable in Nigeria.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Geniusvic(m): 8:07am On Jul 01, 2013
I don't think what we need is funds; we can provide that ourselves. What we need from the US govt is the expertise for construction and maintenance of power plants.. Electricity is very essential for developing countries!
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by naptu2: 8:13am On Jul 01, 2013
I don't think that this is a (1) loan to the Nigerian Government or (2) a direct grant to the Nigerian Government, therefore I don't think that corruption will be a major issue.

The money might be in the form of loans by the US import-export bank to american companies to finance factories in Nigeria (eg General Electric in Akwa Ibom), establish electricity generating plants (eg Mobil), etc.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Humanbeans(m): 8:24am On Jul 01, 2013
What does Obama wants from us. Let him make it plain b4 we accept his offer. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH ANYWHERE
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by CrimzP(m): 8:24am On Jul 01, 2013
Ola one: They are now worried because of China. They never really wanted us to develop. Thank God for China.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by coretechng(m): 8:30am On Jul 01, 2013
ballabriggs:

cnn.com
"Access to electricity is fundamental to opportunity in this age. It's the light that children study by, the energy that allows an idea to be transformed into a real business. It's the lifeline for families to meet their most basic needs, and it's the connection that's needed to plug Africa into the grid of the global economy,"
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Monzuur(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2013
Richfella: "When you're about to take, you should give" --- Han Fei-tzu, Chinese philosopher.

America wey owu dey catch wella wan give $7B just like that?

The question is what do they want.
.....they want us to legalise same-sex marriage. simple!......lesbian and gay stuff
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by cycline404(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2013
I was opportune to be working with one of the major contractor of NIPP. Men i know how much they av spent on power alone... Obama should just add up to the fund it will in one way or the other add to my salary.
My advice is for him to to waste money as they av got even more than the said pledge...
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:33am On Jul 01, 2013
These are facilitated private sector investments, it is not a handout.

The Export-Import Bank and OPIC finance international deals with American companies. When Fashola purchased fire engines in Lagos State recently, the Export-Import Bank financed the deal between the American manufacturer and the LASG. The LASG has to repay the loan of course, but at very low interest.

It is a win-win for Africa and America.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 01, 2013
US,Obama keep ur money we dnt want it.
Just lyk d devil,u can't give sometin without taking sometin bk in return
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by naptu2: 8:46am On Jul 01, 2013
For example, General Electric (GE) is building a factory in Calabar where train engines, electricity plants, etc will be manufactured and assembled. Some of the money might go into that.

awodman: Following its announcement last year that it intends to
invest $1 billion in Nigeria, General Electric (GE) has
scheduled the groundbreaking for its $250 million
manufacturing and assembly plant for Tuesday in
Calabar.

The ceremony will be performed by Vice President
Namadi Sambo.

When completed in the next three years, the facility will
be the biggest in Africa and will have an additional
operating expenditure of about $1 billion in the next ten
years.

Besides, it intends to make Calabar the hub of its
manufacturing activities in sub-Saharan Africa.

Expectedly, Calabar is agog with various activities just as
economists have been listing the impacts GE’s arrival will
have on the economy of Cross River State in particular
and Nigeria as a whole.

Prof. Ndem Ayara, the Economic Adviser to Cross River
State Governor, Senator Liyel Imoke, said, “The biggest
infrastructure gap we have is in the energy sub-sector.

The expectation is that they are coming to close that gap
between energy that is available and the energy we
need. They are going to provide energy that will support
other sectors of the economy.” Ayara said apart from
creating employment opportunities by stimulating
investments in other sectors of the economy, thus
creating a multiplier effect, Cross River as the host state
will become the cashment area or primary beneficiary of
direct employment from GE.

“Cross River as the hub, will have the advantage of
being the immediate market. Indigenes of the state will
benefit from employment, especially if what GE seeks is
skilled labour.”

Speaking in a similar vein, the head of Cross River State
Investment Bureau, Mr. Gerald Ada said “the investment
by GE will add approximately 2500 skilled jobs and
several unskilled jobs in the supply and distribution
chain.

“There will be various opportunities triggered from this
investment as GE suppliers will follow suit.”

Source:www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/ge-breaks-ground-for-250m-manufacturing-and-assembly-plant-in-calabar/
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by naptu2: 8:51am On Jul 01, 2013
And this.

mojounited: Exxonmobil Signs Agreement On 500MW Power Plant

Ejiofor Alike, ThisDay, 24 Apr 2013

Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (MPN), operator of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and MPN Joint Venture, has signed a Seller’s Representative Agreement (SRA) for the Qua Iboe Power Project, located at Mobil’s Qua Iboe terminal in Akwa Ibom State. The proposed power project includes the construction of a 500megawatt-capacity power plant as well as a 56-kilometre transmission line connecting the plant to the national grid at Ikot Abasi, also in the state.

MPN’s General Manager in charge of Public and Government Affairs, Mr. Paul Arinze, said in a statement last night that the signing of the SRA was “a critical part of the overall commercial framework that enables MPN to undertake power activities and facilitates the sale of power by MPN to Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Plc for itself and on behalf of the NNPC.” Also speaking on the agreement, the Managing Director of Mobil Producing Nigeria, Mr. Mark Ward, said the project “is a tangible demonstration of MPN’s commitment to Nigeria and supports the president’s priority of providing electricity to the country.”

According to the statement, Front End Engineering Design (FEED) and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) for the project had been concluded, while commercial tenders for Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) were near completion. Mobil Producing Nigeria awarded the Front End Engineering Design contract for the project in September 2009 and performed the ground-breaking in March 2010.

FEED is the conceptual process of development and design for large industrial projects such as power plants.
The Power Plant will provide 330kV export power to the national grid.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/exxonmobil-signs-agreement-on-500mw-power-plant/145807/
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by awodman: 8:58am On Jul 01, 2013
@naptu thanks for providing verifiable facts..this goes to confirm that am not tryna paint anyone good but just stating the obvious..
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by BrightCar: 9:04am On Jul 01, 2013
NIGERIA GOVT ARE NEVER SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE,IF THEY REALLY WANT TO SOLVE POWER PROBLEM THEY CAN BUT HOW CAN THEY WHEN POWER SECTOR IS A GOLD MINE. ITS 10000 MEGA WATTS GENERATED TODAY TOMORROW U WILL HEAR OH ITS REDUCE TO 3000MEGA WATTS, GAS LINE VANDALIZED, OH THAT MINISTER OF POWER REMOVED, NO RESIGNS, THE STORY KEEPS GOING ON AND ON LIKE THE MATCH COMMENTARY BETWEEN NIGERIA AND SPAIN IN CONFEDERATION CUP. WHEN WILL THE GOAL BE EVER SCORED, IS'T AFTER THE MATCH?
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by sweetgala(m): 9:15am On Jul 01, 2013
ballabriggs: Obama will do well to start by asking OBJ and Jona how much they have spent over the last 10 years and how much electricity we have today. $17 billion by OBJ alone.

Perhaps one needs to tell him the problem is not all about availability of funds.

On hearing the news, NEPA MD must have brought out his calculator to see how much of the $7 billion will probably get into his pocket.

0.05% of $7 billion = $350,000 *faints*

It's best he distribute that money amongst the countries sat around him last week in Senegal.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by beewhyfocs(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2013
No nation survives on handout. I don't think the money for power project is our problem, rather it is the will and sincerity to do the needful.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Omooba77: 9:26am On Jul 01, 2013
BrightCar: NIGERIA GOVT ARE NEVER SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE,IF THEY REALLY WANT TO SOLVE POWER PROBLEM THEY CAN BUT HOW CAN THEY WHEN POWER SECTOR IS A GOLD MINE. ITS 10000 MEGA WATTS GENERATED TODAY TOMORROW U WILL HEAR OH ITS REDUCE TO 3000MEGA WATTS, GAS LINE VANDALIZED, OH THAT MINISTER OF POWER REMOVED, NO RESIGNS, THE STORY KEEPS GOING ON AND ON LIKE THE MATCH COMMENTARY BETWEEN NIGERIA AND SPAIN IN CONFEDERATION CUP. WHEN WILL THE GOAL BE EVER SCORED, IS'T AFTER THE MATCH?

Engineering and construction of any project takes time, depending on the capacity. We should not blame everything on GEJ, the man is trying and many people wants to pull him down. GE is here to stay and many will follow. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by ibkgab001: 9:32am On Jul 01, 2013
The cash has already been shared[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Tonyfrancis(m): 9:38am On Jul 01, 2013
[quote
author=ballabriggs]Obama will do well to start by asking OBJ and Jona
how much they have spent over the last 10 years and how much electricity
we have today. $17 billion by OBJ alone.

Perhaps one needs to tell him the problem is not all about availability
of funds.

On hearing the news, NEPA MD must have brought out his calculator to see
how much of the $7 billion will probably get into his pocket.

0.05% of $7 billion = $350,000 *faints*[/quote]
laughing and rolling on de floor,almost peed my pants
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Olaone1: 9:42am On Jul 01, 2013
Those defending America should just show me 5 projects their grants have completed in the last 30 years. Yet, every year, they make pledges.

Siddon there.
You think your development is in their best interest.

I can tell you that less that 5% of charity donations in America/Europe actually get to there intended targets/countries.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by camelus: 9:47am On Jul 01, 2013
@ Topic
See complaints of Nigerian about our Corrupt Politicians and how they mismanage our resources. Then i ask myself, Is Brazil a Moslem Country? Can't we see what they are doing in the Street about the Fund their Govt is spending for Confederation & World Cup...PROTEST.If its North Africa Nigerians will say that they are Muslims.
We have also recorded massive Protests in Greece & Spain when they want Govt to buy Public opinion.
For Nigerians their is to stay behind keyboards & type whatever they like, Mistchew !!!

Americans will not fight Corruption for Us,Its the Masses that will do that themselves.

Let there be Team Occupy Nigeria.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by yame014: 10:00am On Jul 01, 2013
Richfella: "When you're about to take, you should give" --- Han Fei-tzu, Chinese philosopher.

I wonder too...they r definitely after something....all these Foreign Direct Investment can't help us...
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by godman01(m): 10:01am On Jul 01, 2013
Using the fund is the problem
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Georgesmartt(m): 10:13am On Jul 01, 2013
Call me a skeptic if you like but honestly this americans don't give anything for free. Its either there have their eyes on something we have or they are bringing their illuminiti church and devilish acts here for sure. #IMO
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by unnamed: 10:20am On Jul 01, 2013

God bless you for this post!! grin I am just loving it.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Candybob(m): 10:21am On Jul 01, 2013
Jeboy: Politics of hatred has left some people deluded.May they and their generations never enjoy the benefit of power reforms in Nigeria since they don't believe in it. Somebody shout amen!

this your own na witch craft spirit, dont you know that you are indirectly laying a curse on urself and the project? Wise up friend!
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by mekaboy(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

But if the U.S doesn't give money yo complain that they dont do anything for Nigeria...and if they give money you complain

that they are giving it to corrupt politicians....Negros just cant be pleased..always complaining

We don't need US giving us money for power, they should help us recover the money looted in the power sector. Let them help us get obasanjo to account for the billions of dollars spent on power with no result.
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 01, 2013
DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH PEOPLE!!!!!!
Y'ALL HEARD IT HERE 1ST
AND QUOTE ME I SAID
'THERE WILL NEVER BE A TIME WHEN NIGERIA
WILL HAVE UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY'
NO MATTER HOW MANY PLANTS OR PROJECTS
THEY (OR THEIR OYINBO MASTERS)BUILD
Re: Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others by Candybob(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2013
Aids from china, brazil, Us, india, europe, everywhere! Are we destitutes? Until Africa stop trying to appeal to pity and decides to put its house in order, we are going no where! We dont need aides from any country, what we lose in accepting and seeking those aids far outweigh the benefits which are even hijacked by the political gangsters we call leaders...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Certificate Supplied To INEC By Tinubu Was Certified By CSU - Registrar / NURTW Crowd That Surround Governor Ajimobi Today / Fayose: “I Won’t Dignify An Assembly Of Clowns With My Presence”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.