Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,240 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike (44818 Views)

NASU Begins Nationwide Strike Tomorrow / Breaking News: Imsu ASUU Begins Strike Today / National ASUU Begins Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by vicktaur(m): 12:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
lipsrsealed[color=#770077][/color]False news
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Samuraigirl: 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Can I ask what motivated you to leave an Oil company for a Fed Uni.

I heard and read too many bad tales about our educational system and thought it okay to see what contibutions i could make to start a positive change. To experience it first hand and know where to begin my clamour for change,i had to take an insitu position. Apart from this, I come from a long line of educationist who,fortunately,were priviledged to study outside of here.So I would've derailed if I didn't tow this line(on a lighter mode though). Also, i have a very young family and a spouse with a time consuming job.The pay,though not commensurate with the load of work isn't encouraging. I have other streams of income but what happens to those who do not?
I and a few others who share my position on this, needs the support of all students and the general populace who genuinely wants to see a drastic change in this sector. Who knows? It might be sooner than we originally imagined if we all worked as a team. Few lone voices won't be immediately heard.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 02, 2013
Go to the travel section and see Nigerians hating on those who are dual nationals. Nigeria cannot give them what they want why not let them be. If your parents can afford it its best they sent their children abroad for studies, you don't hear of these stoopid strikes over there.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
ASUP, ASUU, NUPENG & PENGASSAN all on strike undecided So we had all this kInD of Strikers. Why den did Keshi pick all dose incompetent Strikers to Confederations Cup

Just Asking!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Acidosis(m): 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
jennykadry: Go to the travel section and see Nigerians hating on those who are dual nationals. Nigeria cannot give them what they want why not let them be. If your parents can afford it its best they sent their children abroad for studies, you don't hear of these stoopid strikes over there.

Lecturers from 43 universities in England would go on strike to protest against changes to superannuation scheme

www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/20/lecturers-strike-over-pensions-pay
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Samuraigirl: 1:39pm On Jul 02, 2013
@Ichidodo- an utter load of tosh to you but might not be others.

@acidiosis, I'll as much as I can to give you my take on most of the questions and doubts you have concerning my earlier post.

I didn't object to sharing the office space mind you but only expressed what I would "naturally" have loved. Fortunately, my officemate has been very helpful and I don't regret having him.
I think there are certain perks that should come with particular jobs. This job can very often require loads of alone time and you cannot always tell your mate,an adult, that you needed to have some quiet. Concerning the foreign Prof., I told them I could only move if they allowed me move a few things with me but they didn't oblige. I was shown an office with a desk whose ply hard worn out,1 working flourescent bulb out of 4, a working standing with a non-functional ceiling fan and AC, wornout curtains and railings etc. So my dear, did you expect me to spend a year in such and probably rework that office space again?
Why can't each lecturing staff have an office alone? Doesn't this still boil down to the same infrastructural agitation amongst others that ASUU wants?
Mind you I said earlier that I could go on and on about the myriads of challenges that our educational system has been subjected to. I only mentioned a few that was very close to home. My gut feelings tells me you are privy to many of these ills.

Make a few findings and you'll know that ASUU is asking for much more #11,000 or #12,500 as someone else here has pegged it at.

Would ASUU have embarked on a nationwide strike if the funds had been made available to "my" institution? I can for a fact tell you that the funds haven't been made available by the FG. They came up with series of excuses ranging from prevailing economic situation, to paying a certain percentage of the lump sum to not even capturing it in the budget. Doesn't this tell you how unserious our government is with education.
About the legislooters, can you not count with the fingers of one of your hands the number of them you spent a single term? Majority of whom didn't do so out of their own volition. Have most of them not made a career out of politics? Are you not still hearing the same name sets and seeing the same crop of people on your tv screen till date? Have they not made a career in politics for themselves already? You may have even been born to meet them in politics and are still having to grapple with them. The total some of money they make in their supposedly "4 year tenure" as you put it can fund various institutions,agencies and parastatals. Imagine what these monies would have achieved for every Nigerian if you decide to add up all the monies they went/go home with spending 4 to 8 to 12 to infinity years in power/gov't. So, does these add up to what I'll ever get after spending 35 years of service and maybe 200 years in retirement after serving the same gov't?
In as much as I don't subscribe to the incessant strikes by ASUU, I personally don't also subscribe to the govt' stance on education. At these rate, the sector would have plummeted to absolute nothing some years down the line. The future generation will them have to sit around while you tell them the story "We once had educational institutions in Nigeria".

I am of the school of thought that ASUU should in the near future employ other alternatives that will not directly affect the nation's students should the govt ever renege on her responsibilty,which we all know they will except they decide on other formula that will ease the running of all establishments not just schools because others other than ASUU are on strike and were recently on strike.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Acidosis(m): 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2013
Samuraigirl: @Ichidodo- an utter load of tosh to you but might not be others.

@acidiosis, I'll as much as I can to give you my take on most of the questions and doubts you have concerning my earlier post.

I didn't object to sharing the office space mind you but only expressed what I would "naturally" have loved. Fortunately, my officemate has been very helpful and I don't regret having him.
I think there are certain perks that should come with particular jobs. This job can very often require loads of alone time and you cannot always tell your mate,an adult, that you needed to have some quiet. Concerning the foreign Prof., I told them I could only move if they allowed me move a few things with me but they didn't oblige. I was shown an office with a desk whose ply hard worn out,1 working flourescent bulb out of 4, a working standing with a non-functional ceiling fan and AC, wornout curtains and railings etc. So my dear, did you expect me to spend a year in such and probably rework that office space again?
Why can't each lecturing staff have an office alone? Doesn't this still boil down to the same infrastructural agitation amongst others that ASUU wants?
Mind you I said earlier that I could go on and on about the myriads of challenges that our educational system has been subjected to. I only mentioned a few that was very close to home. My gut feelings tells me you are privy to many of these ills.

Make a few findings and you'll know that ASUU is asking for much more #11,000 or #12,500 as someone else here has pegged it at.

Would ASUU have embarked on a nationwide strike if the funds had been made available to "my" institution? I can for a fact tell you that the funds haven't been made available by the FG. They came up with series of excuses ranging from prevailing economic situation, to paying a certain percentage of the lump sum to not even capturing it in the budget. Doesn't this tell you how unserious our government is with education.
About the legislooters, can you not count with the fingers of one of your hands the number of them you spent a single term? Majority of whom didn't do so out of their own volition. Have most of them not made a career out of politics? Are you not still hearing the same name sets and seeing the same crop of people on your tv screen till date? Have they not made a career in politics for themselves already? You may have even been born to meet them in politics and are still having to grapple with them. The total some of money they make in their supposedly "4 year tenure" as you put it can fund various institutions,agencies and parastatals. Imagine what these monies would have achieved for every Nigerian if you decide to add up all the monies they went/go home with spending 4 to 8 to 12 to infinity years in power/gov't. So, does these add up to what I'll ever get after spending 35 years of service and maybe 200 years in retirement after serving the same gov't?
In as much as I don't subscribe to the incessant strikes by ASUU, I personally don't also subscribe to the govt' stance on education. At these rate, the sector would have plummeted to absolute nothing some years down the line. The future generation will them have to sit around while you tell them the story "We once had educational institutions in Nigeria".

I am of the school of thought that ASUU should in the near future employ other alternatives that will not directly affect the nation's students should the govt ever renege on her responsibilty,which we all know they will except they decide on other formula that will ease the running of all establishments not just schools because others other than ASUU are on strike and were recently on strike.

Okay I bow

I'm in (100%) agreement with your points.

No more, No less cheesy

(One more thing; I'd like to send my wards to your school in the nearest future) cheesy
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Samuraigirl: 2:20pm On Jul 02, 2013
I'm happy I just converted you, acidiosis. Not sure if I'll take you up on that offer. The proliferation of private education institutes, though with some pluses have helped cripple our public institutions in some ways.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by nijanigga: 2:35pm On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis:

Ma'am I don't understand?

You want a private office of your own because you love to be alone or because you have a foreign degree?

Whats wrong with sharing a large office space with other staff?

In a situation where a department have about 14 lecturers, what do you expect? 1 office space per 1 lecturer?

I'm not against fighting for your rights.. BUT your post and your pain is not proportional to the demand from ASUU..

Your union is only fighting for N11,000..
They are not concerned about the offices, lecture halls etc..

Lets not forget the fact that all universities have a maintenance and a a technical unit..
The fund may be available for your demands but someone somewhere within your institution might have embezzled the fund.

Talking about the office of a legislator. I believe you know a legislator in Nigeria has only 4years to spend on that sit unlike you, a lecturer who gets government money for 35years and then a new set of steady cash flow as long as you live, even if you spend 200years.

Moreover, the post of a legislator is political and not a career.
So never compare your PhD with whatever certificate a legislator has..

This guy is an absolute half-baked graduate speaking bunkum. Do you know anything about research at all? That's exactly what committed lectures do,other than teaching.And you want somebody toiling with his/her brain to get a paper published sitting in an inconvenient office? No wonder you only see 1 or 2 published papers from Nigerians in Nigeria at the international level.Today's Nigerian electrical engineering graduates don't know how to replace light bulbs.I often call them blackberries/ Android carrying engineers.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Acidosis(m): 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2013
@ Samuraigirl,
You're right, but some people still believe in our public varsities, not because of the subsidized fees but because they believe some lessons are better learnt in such institutions.

I don't have a kid yet, but I'm hopeful about a better Nigeria, a better institution free of defects.

btw, I'll only send my ward to your school because I want him/her to meet YOU cheesy
Could you pls tell me the name of your institution, ma'am?
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by nijanigga: 2:39pm On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis:

Okay I bow

I'm in (100%) agreement with your points.

No more, No less cheesy

(One more thing; I'd like to send my wards to your school in the nearest future) cheesy

Absolute bunkum,I know you all like free stuffs,but nothing good and qualitative is free.Do you hear private universities lecturers on strike? Until,Nigerian youths rise up to challenge authoritarian leaders and looters what you have is nothing but a wasted generations.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by 1121: 2:43pm On Jul 02, 2013
Swaggot00: lol. Go sit down joor
you guys still dy strike 4 9ja? Omo i aint kumin bck home anytime soon, i swear!!
Just stay for namibia if u don finish, there may not even b a place that will accept that certificate 4 job in nigeria
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Acidosis(m): 2:46pm On Jul 02, 2013
nijanigga:

This guy is an absolute half-baked graduate speaking bunkum. Do you know anything about research at all? That's exactly what committed lectures do,other than teaching.And you want somebody toiling with his/her brain to get a paper published sitting in an inconvenient office? No wonder you only see 1 or 2 published papers from Nigerians in Nigeria at the international level.Today's Nigerian electrical engineering graduates don't know how to replace light bulbs.I often call them blackberries/ Android carrying engineers.

Mr Blackberry engineer, tell me your problems and I'll give you the solution.

Whats the correlation between your android crappy bulb engineers, journals and my post?

Is it my fault that your employees cannot fix a bulb?

Pls pls ask for a sleeping tablet if you need one
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by nnadychuks(m): 2:52pm On Jul 02, 2013
Holiday is coming holiday is coming ;DHoliday is coming holiday is coming
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by ciphoenix: 2:58pm On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis:

Do you know the bad attitude of some of these lecturers is the reason why we operate under the auspices of a failed government..

Give me a name of a corrupt politician and I'll tell you his/her alumni..

When students fail; who are we to blame? Devil?

About the MoU between the union and the government.. it still doesn't justify the strike action..

If after the thesis, papers, degrees, seminars and conferences, we still cannot solve a simple problem without embarking on strike then I really do not know the value of these degrees.

Human wants is insatiable. Governments cannot do all. Even if GEJ meets there demand today, it won't take long before they come up with another demand.

You can't be sure of this. The demand is yet to be met after years of agreement
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by nijanigga: 2:58pm On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis:

Mr Blackberry engineer, tell me your problems and I'll give you the solution.

Whats the correlation between your android crappy bulb engineers, journals and my post?

Is it my fault that your employees cannot fix a bulb?

Pls pls ask for a sleeping tablet if you need one
Your brain cell is too low to understand idiomatic expressions or see the correlations between a decent and convenient milieu and publication of papers.A vacuous dimwit like you, sitting behind computer to spew arrant nonsense.Blackberries carrying engineers, who can't solve simple partial fraction problems,talk less of Laplace transform and Fourier series and it's applications in the telecom industries.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by otokx(m): 3:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
You people are still here arguing?
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by kanmaolise(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2013
ubong560: WTF! What sort of confused thread is this?

1, the poster posted this @ exactly 1:30pm and yet he said 'Good morning'. Is 1:30pm morning?

2, the poster contravened RULE 21 by using irregular spellings.

3, No source and yet it made fp. smh

4, Unical just resumed and nothing like strike whatever.
relax... U guys will soon go back and to who care to know ASUU is for all public universities i.e fed and state unis. The reason u've not heard in ur sch is becos ur sch hasnt decided wether it is joinin d strike or not
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by anitank(f): 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2013
Decryptor: Onye ujo akwukwo undecided
Lol!! Anugom! tongue
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Dubemkelly(m): 5:53pm On Jul 02, 2013
Really saddenin...Taya 4 9ja
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by omohj: 6:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
Strike has never solve any problem, all it does is to extend our stay as a student. Making ur demands aint bad at all, buh a peaceful, better n more productive means should be apply in tackling issues like dis... U don't solve problem with problem.... ASUU pls think...
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 02, 2013
EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN UNIVERSITY, FAMAGUSTA NORTH, CYPRUS is given 50% scholarship for international students who are interested to study in EUROPE, NORTH-CYPRUS, so if anyone is interested studying IN EUROPE OR ANYWHERE. Inbox ME or email me at (ikemun@yahoo.com)
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by piagetskinner(m): 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2013
Wow that's disheartening...no mor work for me.. sad
 =˚°◦º°˚˚˚º‎​
<//>

_\\_
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Larson007: 10:12pm On Jul 02, 2013
My fellow, plz since dier is strike, wil post Ume commence in any of Universities in dis Country? Plz i need an answer to dis question
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Bolaji16(m): 8:12am On Jul 03, 2013
Larson007: My fellow, plz since dier is strike, wil post Ume commence in any of Universities in dis Country? Plz i need an answer to dis question
all admisn processes are currently on hold til further notice.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by titiann(f): 11:00am On Jul 03, 2013
Bad timing!ASUU should atleast had a little patience 4 universities to finish their 2nd semester xams,plus everywhere would B̶̲̥̅ε so boring with dis season of 1 day on,1 wk off 4 nepa plus nupeng too on strike=no fuel 4 generators nd increased price 4 public transport,making ℓ̊†̥ difficult to visit friends.......OH lORD,WHICH KYN COUNTRY B̶̲̥̅Ε DISembarassed
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by ciphoenix: 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2013
titiann: Bad timing!ASUU should atleast had a little patience 4 universities to finish their 2nd semester xams,plus everywhere would B̶̲̥̅ε so boring with dis season of 1 day on,1 wk off 4 nepa plus nupeng too on strike=no fuel 4 generators nd increased price 4 public transport,making ℓ̊†̥ difficult to visit friends.......OH lORD,WHICH KYN COUNTRY B̶̲̥̅Ε DISembarassed
triple trouble
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by fame12k(m): 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2013
Any update.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by pitar40(m): 8:52am On Jul 07, 2013
x-razzy:
AND ONE FOOL WILL TELL ME TO VOTE JONATHAN AGAIN COME 2015 WE SHALL SEE!
lol Gej u die well
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by fabby26(m): 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2013
This ASUU & FGN faceoff no go everly end until Vision 20-20 is realized o. All thanks to GEJ & Co. Abeg make dem kukuma resolve am o before my apprenticeship, I mean IT runs out. grin
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by A001: 9:04pm On Nov 03, 2023

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Vice-Chancellor’s Lodge, University Of Ife (Now OAU) In 1968 (Photos) / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria / Blackout: OAU Students Reading Outside (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.