Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,733 members, 7,824,067 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Jakande Estates To Be Demolished - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jakande Estates To Be Demolished (1647 Views)

Poll: Should Jakande Estate Be Demolished?

Yes: 40% (2 votes)
No: 60% (3 votes)
Indifferent: 0% (0 votes)
Don't Know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Former President Jonathan's House To Be Demolished / Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops / Shoot Out At Jakande Lekki Lagos As Political Thugs Clash (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jakande Estates To Be Demolished by Truequest(m): 4:50pm On May 15, 2008
Estates built across Lagos State by the former Governor of the state, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, for the masses, are soon to be demolished.

Lagos State Commissioner for Housing, Mr. Dele Onabokun, disclosed in Lagos at a news conference yesterday that the popular Jakande Estates would be demolished and redeveloped.

Onabokun stated that the Jakande housing model was introduced in the 80s to solve the problem of acute shortage of housing in the state, adding that the houses were built to last for about 20 years.

“We have now discovered that these houses have limitations. In fact, some of those buildings have collapsed and some cannot last for more than 25 years.

“In fact, we visited one of the estates at Iliasan and they are in deplorable condition. We are planning to redeveloped the whole of that place.

“Some of these houses will be demolished and redeveloped. The life-span of an average building is about 50 years. We want to lay emphasis on building structures that will last a life time or a minimum of 50 years,” he stated.

On the fate of the occupants who bought the flats, he said they would be relocated.

Onabokun said the plan of the ministry was to continue to partner with the private sector towards the provision of affordable housing for citizens of the state.

“To this end, applications are still being considered from 27 developers who intend to construct over 20,000 housing units in about 10 locations across Lagos State.

“Some of these proposals have been appraised by the inter-ministerial committee set up by the governor. To date, approvals for the commencement of eight of those projects have been obtained,” he stated.

The commissioner added that his ministry would also be constructing, under direct labour, and award of contracts, some 2,000 housing units in seven locations across the state.

According to him, “The following house types will be constructed: One and two bedroom flats, three bedroom flats, three and four bedroom luxury flats, three and four bedroom terrace houses, three and four bedroom semi-detached houses and three bedroom detached houses.

“The delivery period for the housing estates ranges from six months to 60 months. While most of the projects are expected to be completed by 2011, others will be executed in phases and therefore, extend beyond the life of this present administration.”

http://thepmnews.com/2008/05/15/jakande-estates-to-be-demolished

This topic caused a serious disagreement b/w me and one of my friends, I don't what is your take on this new development strategy of this government.
Re: Jakande Estates To Be Demolished by Emma4u2c(m): 5:02pm On May 15, 2008
On the fate of the occupants who bought the flats, he said they would be relocated.

My question is where will such number of people be relocated to? How about the education of their children?
Good luck to Lagos State.
Re: Jakande Estates To Be Demolished by Truequest(m): 5:28pm On May 15, 2008
Emma4u2c:

My question is where will such number of people be relocated to? How about the education of their children?
Good luck to Lagos State.

That's exactly part of my worry. I cannot but remember those evicted from Maroko till date they have not been fully settled. I think it is a good idea but much care so as not generate a high volume of internally displaced people.

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Charges Jimoh Ibrahim With Forgery, Fraud / Umaru Yar`dua: By El Rufai / Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.