Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist (12447 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / Will/Can A Feminist Make A Good And Wife Material? / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 11:42am On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
biola what about you? Can you marry a second wife?

haha
i knew ...

no; christianity sanctions mono mono

smiley
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 09, 2013
biolabee:

haha
i knew ...

no; christianity sanctions mono mono

smiley

Yes, but you're allowed to divorce when you get tired of each other right?
Because you are definitely bound to get tired of each other smiley
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: cool cool
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 09, 2013
divorce is not allowed in Christianity , what God sealed no one can unseal grin grin grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: divorce is not allowed in Christianity , what God sealed no one can unseal grin grin grin
Thats not true, divorce is allowed. Or so I heard.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
u heard wrong , divorce is not allowed. once u marry in front of the church u ain't supposed to divorce . and when u do it under the civil law, you ain't supposed to take the communion again
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
in fact u ain't allowed to get remarried(religious marriage) except if your wife is dead
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 12:56pm On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
Yes, but you're allowed to divorce when you get tired of each other right?
Because you are definitely bound to get tired of each other smiley

The truth is that you will also tire of the young wife too so its best to admit to yourself you are marrying because of your desires.
Serial monogamy is also not good as it breeds disloyalty

If i tire well, lets see when i get there.. let me still enjoy my small life

Do i want to run 2 families, 2 homes, multiple kids//// how will i afford that harvard education for all my kids in the name of equality and still have a nest egg for old age

You also know womens troubles are geometric progressions

1 wife; 1 trouble
2 wives; 4 troubles
3 wives: 9 troubles///

Make persin no die young o....

hahahaha
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2013
biolabee:

The truth is that you will also tire of the young wife too so its best to admit to yourself you are marrying because of your desires.
Serial monogamy is also not good as it breeds disloyalty

If i tire well, lets see when i get there.. let me still enjoy my small life

Do i want to run 2 families, 2 homes, multiple kids//// how will i afford that harvard education for all my kids in the name of equality and still have a nest egg for old age

You also know womens troubles are geometric progressions

1 wife; 1 trouble
2 wives; 4 troubles
3 wives: 9 troubles///

Make persin no die young o....

hahahaha

No, you're not divorcing her to marry again. You are divorcing her to have fun and frolick with other women/girls.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: in fact u ain't allowed to get remarried(religious marriage) except if your wife is dead
Thats so untrue, lol.
Anyway maybe that is the rule in the catholic church that you used to worship when you were a Christian. You know christianity has different sects and different rules for those sects.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: in fact u ain't allowed to get remarried(religious marriage) except if your wife is dead
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 2:19pm On Jul 09, 2013
Ok that one I can't answer you

fellis:

No, you're not divorcing her to marry again. You are divorcing her to have fun and frolick with other women/girls.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 09, 2013
fellis:
Thats so untrue, lol.
Anyway maybe that is the rule in the catholic church that you used to worship when you were a Christian. You know christianity has different sects and different rules for those sects.
We don't have sects grin grin there is only one , true, holy and apostolic church and it is the catholic church. others who called themselves Christians(protestants) are lost souls and pastors worshipers. The Catholic church is the one who gives the rule and others follow.

you keep saying it is false, do u have something to tell me? I mean did a protestant tell u something else?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
biolabee: Ok that one I can't answer you

Why can't you answer? Because the answer is yes? lipsrsealed

By the way I heard that anglicans can marry more than one wife so polygamy is allowed in christianity depending on the sect you belong to.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: We don't have sects grin grin there is only one , true, holy and apostolic church and it is the catholic church. others who called themselves Christians(protestants) are lost souls and pastors worshipers. The Catholic church is the one who gives the rule and others follow.

you keep saying it is false, do u have something to tell me? I mean did a protestant tell u something else?

I keep hearing christians say that divorce is allowed when a spouse cheats.
Haven't actually seen a Bible verse talking about it. But the way they go about it, they sound pretty sure of what they are saying.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Also, I found out about this verse in the Bible

Matthew 19:9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
TV01:

As a Christian, the short answer here is biblical writ, which I believe even non-believers are aware of even if they don't subscribe to it.

But whatever your faith or choice not to subscribe to any, one needs only look at how societies have developed - or how they work in practice - to reach that objective conclusion. Most especially when bearing in mind the optimal benefit to men, women, children and hence society as a whole.

Society comprises of people from different faiths and walks of life. Not everyone is a Christian, Muslim, Juju worshipper or even religious. Sure you've already acknowledged that, but what I need you to do here is to give me solid examples of what these optimal benefits you mention are, and how they apply to everyone in society, not just your average Christian / Muslim / religious person.

TV01: Society has a vested interest in ensuring it's perpetuation and hence raising of the next generation, the simplest way to do this is for men to commit to the mother of the children they jointly produce. This means whilst the state still has to spend on infrastructure (hospitals, schools etc), the welfare bill is reduced.

That's an idealistic view of how you think things should be. The reality is different for many folks out there, some of which is no fault of theirs.

TV01: Co-habitation is not as good for kids, rarely proving as enduring as marriage.

Really? How so? How is it different from your average married couple save the piece of paper? You've still got the mum and dad very much in the picture, living with their kids, partaking in their lives, yes?

TV01: Polygamy is second best here as all things being equal there will be less time and resource for the children and women and it does not meet the emotional needs of the women involved as well.

Second best for whom?

The kids? (I think not).

The woman/women? (I doubt it, not when you factor in the emotional roller coaster that comes with it...jealousy, strife, competition, plus the health risks of developing high bp or heart failure from being thrust into such an abhorrent situation)

The man? (Yes of course...it is a man's world after all, isn't it?)

TV01: Polyandry will never have widespread acceptance by men. Men are more likely to commit and provide when the parenthood of children is not in doubt and the female is monogamous.

Now that's where you're wrong. Wrong because your views are extremely myopic and formed from you being brought up in a culture that sees things differently. Are you not aware that just as polygamy sits easy with you, polyandry also sits well with the people for whom this practise forms the core of their culture? Such as those in Nepal. Do you not think they in turn would view the polygamous relationships you rank as second best, to be utterly deplorable by them??

Re the bolded part of your sentence, I disagree with you on that for these reasons...the exact same reasons I gave at the start of this thread:

Benefits Of Polyandry:

~ Enhances greater economic power within the home(i.e: multiple breadwinners, single mortgage)

~ The death of a parent is less likely to result in poverty or destitution for the remaining family members

~ Common household tasks spread among more people

~ More personal time available to all members, without depriving children of attention

~ Potentially more enjoyable sex life without the risk of venereal disease

~ Less likelihood of being left for another man [s]because if I fancy a 6th he will just join the gang (joke!)[/s] cheesy cheesy

To further buttress those points above, here's are a couple of real life examples of successful polyandrous relationships here in the west. California and the UK to be precise:

‘I’ve got TWO men who love me’: Woman has baby with the lover her boyfriend encouraged her to take (and they were BOTH there at the birth)

Jaiya Ma had been living her boyfriend Jon Hanauer, 49, for six years when he urged her to take a new lover.
Within weeks, Jaiya, 34, fell for a furniture designer Ian Ferguson, 44, at a dance class, and a year later she fell pregnant with his baby.
But Jon supported Jaiya, welcomed Ian into his home, and the two men helped deliver baby Eamon during an 'orgasmic' labour.

Now the three live together in a beautiful home in Topanga, California, raising Eamon, two and a half.
'I am so lucky,' said Jaiya, a sexologist. 'I have two amazing men who really care for me and Eamon. Having three parents around just makes life even better, and everyone talks about how advanced Eamon is.'
Jaiya and Jon met in June 2000, while taking tantric yoga classes in Cinncinati, Ohio, and fell in love in March 2001 during a tantric teacher training course.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070634/Polyamorous-woman-Jaiya-Ma-baby-lover-living-boyfriend.html

And another example of a successful polyandous relationship here in the UK:

Meet the husband, wife and lover living under the SAME roof
3 Mar 2013 00:00
“People might think it’s weird but I love both men and couldn’t choose between them,” says mum-of-two

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/husband-wife-lover-live-together-1740096

So you see, the world exists beyond the polygamous shores of Nigeria.

TV01: SSM is nowhere, it's not actually procreative, unitive or coital. They can't actually have s.ex and they can't really be married. Any children are by design denied one of their biological parents. Single parenthood is likewise not optimal. All told children thrive best with their biological parents.

Oh, I don't know about that.

What I do know is that a child needs to be brought up in a loving home, where it'll grow and nuture, safe in the knowledge that it is WANTED and loved. There have been numerous heartbreaking stories and threads opened here in the family section of girls/women giving birth to kids and dumping them in toilets, refuse heaps, underneath cars, abandoning them in uncompleted buildings, leaving them by the road side or even burying them alive!

So are you gonna tell me that those kids don't deserve better than that? Were they not born of heterosexual parents? If a gay couple with the means to love, nurture, train and offer a much, much better standard and shot in life, wish to adopt these abandoned kids, they should be denied? You're saying the kids would be better off being left in the gutter where they were dumped by their pretentious church going, bible wielding, irresponsible parents? Is that what you're saying?

Same point for single parents too.

TV01:
I could go on about the benefits to men and more about those to women, but it could get expansive. But that's a starter for 10. Open to question or challenge.

Criteria, benefits to men, women and children. Most natural and cost effective and least likely to engender societal ills.

TV

A subjective statement you've given, open to different forms of interpretation.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 10, 2013
fellis: Also, I found out about this verse in the Bible

Matthew 19:9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Adultery is unfaithfulness to one's spouse or accommodating another person's unfaithfulness to that person's spouse. Lust is one form of such unfaithfulness; divorce is another. The person who betrays his or her spouse by divorce is no less unfaithful to his or her marriage than the adulterer or lustful person and presumably warrants the same punishment prescribed by the preceding passage-damnation (5:29-30). Although Matthew does qualify the force of the saying, he wants us to hear its demand: marriage is sacred and must not be betrayed.

In principle, remarriage is adulterous because God rejects the validity of divorce. Employing the same teaching technique of rhetorical overstatement that pervades the context (as in 5:18-19, 29-30; 6:3; Stein 1978:8-12, 1979:119 and 1992:198; Keener 1991a:12-25), Jesus declares that God does not accept divorce; hence a divorced woman remains married in God's sight to her first husband, making her remarriage adulterous (5:32). (The image presumably addresses the woman because the Palestinian Jewish law in Matthew's milieu permitted men to marry more than one wife anyway, whereas the sharing of a woman involved adultery-Keener 1991a:35, 47-48; Easton 1940:82; but compare, somewhat differently, Luck 1987:103-7.) Precisely because the very term for legal "divorce" meant freedom to remarry, everyone understood that a woman without a valid certificate of divorce was not free to remarry (as in m. Gittin 2:1); but Jesus declares that if God does not accept the divorce as valid, remarriage is adulterous
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 10, 2013
^^^^^That only proves that the bible contains contradictions. It says in one place that divorce on the grounds of adultery is allowed and in another place it says divorec is forbidden. Which one should we take serious now?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 10, 2013
fellis: ^^^^^That only proves that the bible contains contradictions. It says in one place that divorce on the grounds of adultery is allowed and in another place it says divorec is forbidden. Which one should we take serious now?
the Bible doesn't contain contradictions.

the Ancient testament describes Pre-Christ life

The new testament describes Christ's life

^^^ they both contain stories , different lifestyles, life situations, cultures etc, what I mean if they want to teach you humility there will b a story relating the action of X etc

what you quoted is not a contradiction: Matthew 19:9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for intimate immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Intimate immorality is a sin , you ain't supposed to live around sinners or they will lead you to the sin tongue tongue.

so Divorce is forbidden but there are exception just like in most laws/rules
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: so Divorce is forbidden but there are exception just like in most laws/rules

This is what I said initially now.....
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 1:04am On Jul 10, 2013
fellis:

This is what I said initially now.....
smiley
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 9:08am On Jul 10, 2013
fellis:

Why can't you answer? Because the answer is yes? lipsrsealed

By the way I heard that anglicans can marry more than one wife so polygamy is allowed in christianity depending on the sect you belong to.

I cant answer you because you are obviously looking for words. In my mouths or say that xtians are closet polygamists

Why will i divorce my wife to have fun with young women
Wont i grow old too
will those ones stay with me and take care of me...

abegiiii
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2013
Efemena_xy:
Society comprises of people from different faiths and walks of life. Not everyone is a Christian, Muslim, Juju worshipper or even religious. Sure you've already acknowledged that, but what I need you to do here is to give me solid examples of what these optimal benefits you mention are, and how they apply to everyone in society, not just your average Christian / Muslim / religious person.

I'm a Christian. I believe the Biblical writ, it serves and I see that in practice. Have I demanded everyone subscribe regardless? Have I demanded that society legislates based on the Christian worldview? Societies legislate as they see fit, people act as their worldviews dictate. I merely stated my view.

I have stated the benefits of that worldview to society as a whole. If you are asking for a model that satisfies every single faith, worldview, philosophy or individual lifestyle you are just being obtuse.

On the other hand if you are trying to justify your own permissiveness by arguing for an anything goes live and let live position, say so and be upfront about it. I would hazard a guess and say that's the whole thrust of your position. We'll see if your postings prove otherwise, but nothing wrong in being honest enough to say so - if that is the case.

Efemena_xy:
That's an idealistic view of how you think things should be. The reality is different for many folks out there, some of which is no fault of theirs.

You both confuse and conflate issues.

1.You asked what was best for society, I responded. There will always be exception or outliers to any paradigm. I gave what I believe to give the most bang for societies buck.

2. If people make poor choices, are prone to destructive behaviours, or find themselves bearing the consequences of same, that in no way invalidates what is optimum. I stated before, we should act and plan aspirationally, for what is best. Do we break up regular families to make single parents feel better? Or forcibly exclude one birth parent to validate gay parenting?

3. The presence of outlying lifestyles - even if seemingly successful - does not invalidate the overall premise. In the absence of a "one size fits all" model (unless you can show otherwise), will the wholesale adoption of "any and all" be best for society (and feel free to demonstrate that if you believe so)?

Efemena_xy:
Really? How so? How is it different from your average married couple save the piece of paper? You've still got the mum and dad very much in the picture, living with their kids, partaking in their lives, yes?

Please read clearly. I did not say that there will be a consequential difference in any two families that are in all ways the same except for a marriage certificate. I said "generally" co-habiting couples do not endure as long as married ones, hence co-habitation is inferior to marriage.

Efemena_xy:
Second best for whom?

The kids? (I think not).

The woman/women? (I doubt it, not when you factor in the emotional roller coaster that comes with it...jealousy, strife, competition, plus the health risks of developing high bp or heart failure from being thrust into such an abhorrent situation)

The man? (Yes of course...it is a man's world after all, isn't it?)

Second best to the preferred/optimum paradigm = Marriage, not second in a hierarchy. There is no hierarchy. I am talking optimally - idealistically as you may term it. A non point, based on an incorrectly inferred position.

And yes, it is a mans world grin. But regardless of whether that persists, it doesn't mean we cannot adopt norms that are beneficial to all.

Efemena_xy:
Now that's where you're wrong. Wrong because your views are extremely myopic and formed from you being brought up in a culture that sees things differently. Are you not aware that just as polygamy sits easy with you, polyandry also sits well with the people for whom this practise forms the core of their culture? Such as those in Nepal. Do you not think they in turn would view the polygamous relationships you rank as second best, to be utterly deplorable by them??

You seem hellbent on proving me wrong, as opposed to making a point, having a discussion or generating suggestions of your own. Feel free to travel the world searching for exceptions, you are not making a case or even proving a point. And even if my worldview emanates from under a rock in Maroko, all you are doing is gainsaying. Surely you are capable of more?

Polygamy = Polygny & Polyandry (multiple wives, multiple husbands). My view endorsed neither. And at least try and get your terms right.

And as previously stated, the fact that various practices persist - even as the norm in those societies where they are - does not make them optimal.

Efemena_xy:
Re the bolded part of your sentence, I disagree with you on that for these reasons...the exact same reasons I gave at the start of this thread:

Benefits Of Polyandry:

~ Enhances greater economic power within the home(i.e: multiple breadwinners, single mortgage)

~ The death of a parent is less likely to result in poverty or destitution for the remaining family members

~ Common household tasks spread among more people

~ More personal time available to all members, without depriving children of attention

~ Potentially more enjoyable sex life without the risk of venereal disease

~ Less likelihood of being left for another man [s]because if I fancy a 6th he will just join the gang (joke!)[/s] cheesy cheesy

To further buttress those points above, here's a real life example of a successful polyandrous relationship here in the west. California to be precise:

‘I’ve got TWO men who love me’: Woman has baby with the lover her boyfriend encouraged her to take (and they were BOTH there at the birth)

Jaiya Ma had been living her boyfriend Jon Hanauer, 49, for six years when he urged her to take a new lover.
Within weeks, Jaiya, 34, fell for a furniture designer Ian Ferguson, 44, at a dance class, and a year later she fell pregnant with his baby.
But Jon supported Jaiya, welcomed Ian into his home, and the two men helped deliver baby Eamon during an 'orgasmic' labour.

Now the three live together in a beautiful home in Topanga, California, raising Eamon, two and a half.
'I am so lucky,' said Jaiya, a sexologist. 'I have two amazing men who really care for me and Eamon. Having three parents around just makes life even better, and everyone talks about how advanced Eamon is.'
Jaiya and Jon met in June 2000, while taking tantric yoga classes in Cinncinati, Ohio, and fell in love in March 2001 during a tantric teacher training course.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070634/Polyamorous-woman-Jaiya-Ma-baby-lover-living-boyfriend.html

And another example of a successful polyandous relationship here in the UK:

Meet the husband, wife and lover living under the SAME roof
3 Mar 2013 00:00
“People might think it’s weird but I love both men and couldn’t choose between them,” says mum-of-two

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/husband-wife-lover-live-together-1740096

So you see, the world exists beyond the polygamous shores of Nigeria.

So the best you can do is ferret out exceptions and assume they should sit alongside, be considered equal too, or trump the rule/ideal?

And try and be consistent - and honest - you listed the cons of multiple wives, but the pro for multiple husbands?

I already said I speak to all societies.

Efemena_xy:
Oh, I don't know about that.

Clearly not. However, feel free to refute, rebut or suggest otherwise

Efemena_xy:
What I do know is that a child needs to be brought up in a loving home, where it'll grow and nuture, safe in the knowledge that it is WANTED and loved. There have been numerous heartbreaking stories and threads opened here in the family section of girls/women giving birth to kids and dumping them in toilets, refuse heaps, underneath cars, abandoning them in uncompleted buildings, leaving them by the road side or even burying them alive!

An appeal to emotion and a distractionary ruse. What does that have to do with "what is best?" And how does it show monogamy as not preferred? Rather the opposite.

Efemena_xy:
So are you gonna tell me that those kids don't deserve better than that? Were they not born of heterosexual parents? If a gay couple with the means to love, nurture, train and offer a much, much better standard and shot in life, wish to adopt these abandoned kids, they should be denied? You're saying the kids would be better off being left in the gutter where they were dumped by their pretentious church going, bible wielding, irresponsible parents? Is that what you're saying?

Like I said, monogamy is more likely to provide that all things being equal. And don't ascribe things to me, that is clearly not what am saying. Quite the opposite. There will always be some that get it wrong, we endeavour to remediate and give those who suffer as a consequence as close to optimum as possible.

Endorsing second best just because some get first best wrong, is shoddy thinking. It presumes 2nd best will never go wrong and it logically means all the other inferior models should also be incorporated.

Efemena_xy:
Same point for single parents too.

Same response

Efemena_xy:
A subjective statement you've given, open to different forms of interpretation.

Particularly if you want to be willful about it.

Altogether a poorly presented, ill thought out response. It didn't rebut my position, it wasn't focused, it made no real points or a case of your own, and it didn't even speak to the question you yourself posed.

TV
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 2:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
Phew!
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2013
biolabee:

I cant answer you because you are obviously looking for words. In my mouths or say that xtians are closet polygamists

Why will i divorce my wife to have fun with young women
Wont i grow old too
will those ones stay with me and take care of me...

abegiiii

Calm down it was a joke
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 3:05pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ok..

It did not sound so at first
Especially with reference to sects and all that

But no problem

fellis:

Calm down it was a joke
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2013
TV01:

Snip...

I have stated the benefits of that worldview to society as a whole. If you are asking for a model that satisfies every single faith, worldview, philosophy or individual lifestyle you are just being obtuse.

Snip...

A lot of waffle up there without addressing the primary question which I've highlighted and now asking directly (for the second time), WHAT ARE THESE OPTIMAL BENEFITS??!! Can you not list them out? If you're expecting me to thumb through your previous posts on this forum in an inane bid to extract what your stance is on this topic, then you're onto a long thing brother. Simply list them out as I have done. A couple of precise examples won't kill you, else forget it.

TV01: You both confuse and conflate issues.

No, I don't. You do though.

TV01: 1.You asked what was best for society, I responded. There will always be exception or outliers to any paradigm. I gave what I believe to give the most bang for societies buck.

No, you didn't. A lot of generalizations, nothing specific.

TV01: 2. If people make poor choices, are prone to destructive behaviours, or find themselves bearing the consequences of same, that in no way invalidates what is optimum. I stated before, we should act and plan aspirationally, for what is best. Do we break up regular families to make single parents feel better? Or forcibly exclude one birth parent to validate gay parenting?

3. The presence of outlying lifestyles - even if seemingly successful - does not invalidate the overall premise. In the absence of a "one size fits all" model (unless you can show otherwise), will the wholesale adoption of "any and all" be best for society (and feel free to demonstrate that if you believe so)?

Of course, basic common sense should tell you that there is NO 'one-size-fits-all', hence my taking apart your argument that monogamy tops the list followed closely by polygamy while every other form of union not worthy of discussion or holds no water. You tried to dismiss the fact that the other unions (which you detest) can work successfully AND have worked successfully for couples in countries and societies where it isn't the norm.

No one's asking or even suggested that your 'regular' family set up should be torn down to appease other forms of family structures i.e Single parents / Single sex unions/marriages. That's your insecurity rearing it's head up here. I, on the other hand, have been very specific in stating that what you decree as 'best' is your opinion AND strictly your opinion.

For a society to thrive, you must learn to be accepting of other forms of unions or marriages even if they grossly deviate from your 'norm'. This is one reason why African nations like Nigeria would forever continue to play 'catch-up' with their western counterparts. Until a few years ago, homosexuals hid their sex.uality in the closet and tried living 'normal' lives to suit people with your type of myopic views. Yet, they pay their taxes which your sort, people like you, are happy to receive. Do their taxes not go towards the basic infrastructures like hospitals, good roads, schools, etc that you clammour for? No?

Whether you like it or not, the world IS changing - and for the better too. So, what do we have now? Do we not have these same governments taking a stance to be all-inclusive? Is it not a crime to discriminate against your fellow human being based on their sex.uality or gender? (I'm also referring to transgenders too). If in doubt, go take a look at the equal opportunities sections of standard job application forms.

TV01: Please read clearly. I did not say that there will be a consequential difference in any two families that are in all ways the same except for a marriage certificate. I said "generally" co-habiting couples do not endure as long as married ones, hence co-habitation is inferior to marriage.

And why would they not 'endure' long as your 'regular monogamous married couple'? What makes them inferior? Going by the number of horror threads I see here in the family section everyday about spouses complaining about their maritial issues, it makes me wonder where you get your 'general' statistical deduction from. Stop generalizing and get real. Until you show me some solid figures backed by research from a reliable source to prove that monogamous marriages stand and thrive better overall than co-habiting couples, you're in no position whatsoever to make such a claim. You are allowed to rant on though, afterall, it is a free forum for discussion. But your points are invalid until you prove otherwise.

TV01:
Second best to the preferred/optimum paradigm = Marriage, not second in a hierarchy. There is no hierarchy. I am talking optimally - idealistically as you may term it. A non point, based on an incorrectly inferred position.

We live in the real world, not an idealistic world. Unless you wish to remain in La-la land. You say you weren't referring to the forms of marriage. So what exactly ranks as second best? Hasn't that thing got a name? Re the bolded bit, you certainly are making a comparism of sorts between two things. If not marriage, then pray, what exactly are you comparing? and against what? Can't you be crystal clear with your arguments? Is that also too much to ask of you??

TV01: And yes, it is a mans world grin. But regardless of whether that persists, it doesn't mean we cannot adopt norms that are beneficial to all.

Good. At least you conceed change is inevitable, whether you like it or not.

TV01:
You seem hellbent on proving me wrong, as opposed to making a point, having a discussion or generating suggestions of your own. Feel free to travel the world searching for exceptions, you are not making a case or even proving a point. And even if my worldview emanates from under a rock in Maroko, all you are doing is gainsaying. Surely you are capable of more?

On the contrary, I'm not here to prove you wrong. What I'm doing here, is calling you out and asking you to defend your stance, myopic stances if you don't mind my saying so. I've also asked you to back up your arguments with solid substantive examples. I have don in my previous post. I've cut through the chase and gone straight for the bone marrow. Can the same be said of you? I think not.

Travel, broadens the mind - you've heard that, haven't you? So if you choose to hide underneath your damp rock, feel free to do so. Fact is, you can either stay trapped in your strait jacket or move along with the rest of the world. Your choice. You might as well crawl back underneath the rock you slithered from, free choice. grin grin

TV01: Polygamy = Polygny & Polyandry (multiple wives, multiple husbands). My view endorsed neither. And at least try and get your terms right.

And as previously stated, the fact that various practices persist - even as the norm in those societies where they are - does not make them optimal.

Ah, but you did admit earlier that you believe monogamy is the only true way forward, didn't you? And every other form of union apart from polygamy is not worth wasting time on / discussing, abi? Don't get me wrong. I'm in a monogamous relationship...marriage. But I don't lord it over the other forms and say "hey, monogamy is THE ONLY way forward for an optimal society..." I, unlike you, choose to be broadminded and all-inclusive and non-judgemental of other forms of unions / marriages.

~ You voted polygamy as second best, I highlighted the issues that come along with it.

~ You dismissed polyandry stating that it would never be accepted by men, I highlighted the benefits of polyandry AND how it's the men in it who make it work in the first place!!

~ You completely dismissed Single Sex Marriages and Single parent hood. I've given examples of how they too contribute to society and how, they too come into play by cleaning up the mess created by your fanatical, bible wielding, pretentious church-going 'monogamous' couples who sleep indiscriminately, father and bear kids they can't look after but dump for 'society' to pick up. That was even on non-married heterosexual couples. What about the millions of children labourers in Lagos alone, being forced out of their homes by their indifferent, 'monogamous, heterosexual' parents to hawk goods for a pittance? You gonna tell me that those are the standard unions / pillars of society that encompass progress of the society??

You make me laugh! In Greek and Chinese!! grin grin

TV01:
So the best you can do is ferret out exceptions and assume they should sit alongside, be considered equal too, or trump the rule/ideal?

YES! In a nut shell, EQUALITY for ALL!

They too are humans and pay their taxes, if not more.

TV01:

And try and be consistent - and honest - you listed the cons of multiple wives, but the pro for multiple husbands?

I already said I speak to all societies.

I am consistent. I'm also aware that there are two sides to every argument. There is good and bad, equal and opposing forces in this world we live in.

I can defend monogamy just as easily as I can argue against it. Same thing for any of the other unions you seem to look down on. I have an open mind and not secluded in a closet / box, unlike you.

TV01: Clearly not. However, feel free to refute, rebut or suggest otherwise

An appeal to emotion and a distractionary ruse.

Sorry, I don't do emotional arguments. I prefer hard facts.

TV01: What does that have to do with "what is best?"

I'll tell you. The children. What's best for the children always reigns supreme, whether you like it or not.

TV01: And how does it show monogamy as not preferred? Rather the opposite.

Like I said, monogamy is more likely to provide that all things being equal. And don't ascribe things to me, that is clearly not what am saying. Quite the opposite. There will always be some that get it wrong, we endeavour to remediate and give those who suffer as a consequence as close to optimum as possible.

Endorsing second best just because some get first best wrong, is shoddy thinking. It presumes 2nd best will never go wrong and it logically means all the other inferior models should also be incorporated.

There you go again. Inferior models. No model is inferior. They all have their advantages and disadvantages as I've highlighted tirelessly to you.

All models should be endorsed and society should endeavour to strive for the best that can be given / obtained from those models. And to achieve this, we must go back to the drawing board, back to the basics and one of which is ensuring EQUALITY for all. No one model is best. That, is shoddy thinking cocooned in a myopoic, judgemental and quite frankly, immature view.

TV01:
Same response

Particularly if you want to be willful about it.

Altogether a poorly presented, ill thought out response. It didn't rebut my position, it wasn't focused, it made no real points or a case of your own, and it didn't even speak to the question you yourself posed.

TV

Resorting to childish whims, are we. Feel free. I don't have to sink to your level. Shame though. I was hoping for a more intellectually stimulating argument from you. Not a fishy-woman's obstinate stance.

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2013
EXY, it would help if you could do a number of things;

1. Read clearly. You posed a question, I answered, you asked for explication, I responded. I made clear in summary what I thought was best and why. I also offered to expand on particular points if requested. This was in my second post after your question. In all posts, I have been very clear that is my view, regardless of how society or individuals act.

2. Don’t confuse your terms. I’ve already taken the time to educate you on the correct application of the terms poly-gamy-gyny-andry. Continuing to do so merely points you out as obtuse – at best.

3. Don’t willfully misread me or ascribe things to me. I never said polygamy is second best across a range of options, it is second best (i.e. in a two horse race) against the ideal option identified in my view, i.e. Monogamy. Likewise for Co-habitation, willful single-parenthood or “SSM” are all second best when individually compared with monogamous marriage.

4. The fact that children can turn out fine in those arrangements does not make them as good or preferable. We owe it to our children to give them the best start possible.

5. Emotional appeals to abandoned babies and the like is not advancing things. Please stop, it’s tiresome.

It would also help not to poison or distract by your frequent descent to derogatory references about Christians. Firstly, it lends nothing to the discussion and only exposes your own inherent bias. Secondly, church going or bible wielding does not necessarily make a Christian. Thirdly, the model proposed is blind to religion, so why the animus? Does it prick?

If I make a case for monogamy as the best and therefore the preferred model - in my view - it’s equally incumbent on you to show this to be incorrect or make an alternative case, you have singularly failed to so. Simply saying any choice is fine and should be accommodated under the rubric “equality” is lazy thinking.

The case for male/ female monogamy;

1. It’s the basic family unit and all that is required to bring a child into the world. It ably satisfies society’ requirement for procreation and nurture, nothing more is required, nothing less is suitable.

2. The child/ren have the benefit of being raised by both biological parents, which in psycholigical and physiological terms has numerous benefits. There is also a greater chance of full knowledge of their heritage which is important.

3. The woman has a co-parent with a vested interest in the wellbeing and future of their offspring. And is more lik
ely to have her relationship needs met.

4. Men are more ready to commit, provide and stay faithful. They are also more focused, productive and - dare I say it – civilised within monogamy

5. Society has less of a cost burden

You are all over the place trying to counter my position (as opposed to actually making one of your own). Recourse to canards, distractionary tactics and emotion are just lazy.

Prime example; Homosexuals being in the closet and paying taxes. So what? I have not stated they should be closeted or they should not have full public participation.

But as for children and society, they are simply not on a par with male/female monogamy. A same-sex relationship offers society nothing and does not need state or societal endorsement. It denies a child at least one biological parent. Same goes for willful single parenthood. Polygamy will simple not be acceptable or meet the needs of vast majority and cannot really produce the right balance.

Prime example; African nations playing catch-up because they do not endorse single-parenting or SSM? They do however typically allow polygamy (if only –gyny) though? Plus, SSM was nowhere in view anywhere barely 2 decades ago, did it halt progress in the West or will introducing it accelerate same in Africa? The normal lazy assumptions here – albeit allied with wailing desperation.

So we come to your real agenda; the liberal permissive position, hanging on the buzzwords equality choice and tolerance. Which really is just to validate your own personal morés. Happy to deconstruct the myths of the liberal agenda, but you simply haven’t progressed the discussion that far. Thus far anyway.

I’ll leave it here as you’ve offered nothing of note, although I would like to hear you make true on your boast of an argument against male/female lifelong, faithful monogamy. If only to see you flounder like a fish on ice once more. And no, I don’t mind what you say or even how you say it, just as long as it’s clearly articulated. Your current ability won’t see you playing on the show courts.

And remember; Google is your friend! http://www.bcft.co.uk/Family%20breakdown%20in%20the%20UK.pdf

TV
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by MrsChima(f): 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
Dumb people are hilarious.

If feminists are lesbians that also mean male chauvinists are gay. grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by MrsChima(f): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2013
fellis:

Calm down it was a joke

It was that time of the month. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Help: Television Series Wants To Ruin My Marriage / Few Month Double Door Fridge, 3hp Ac For Sale / What Habits Did You See In Your Father And You Are Determined To Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.