Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,774 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:31 AM

Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist (12668 Views)

10 Behaviors Of An Extreme Nairaland Feminist / Will/Can A Feminist Make A Good And Wife Material? / Rise Of The Feminist Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 10:44am On Jul 07, 2013
vivianc: Una no dey Tire?

Well, I get small question.

If polygamy is legalised in the US, are we really positive That The act of a woman marrying like 8 men would also be legalised?

Cos me I have got mad crush on like 10 American men, so if I get to marry and keep Them and noT go To jail, Then I Think iTs awesome.

P.S, I really Think These guys should beat iT, attacking Kulyie's personality cos of her decision not to marry is uncalled for. People have The righT to make choices, haba!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2013
tintingz: am not even forcing her to get married, its her choice... But am against her men hating. Shikena
how do you know that?didirin :/
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2013

If polygamy is legalised in the US, are we really positive That The act of a woman marrying like 8 men would also be legalised?

Cos me I have got mad crush on like 10 American men, so if I get to marry and keep Them and noT go To jail, Then I Think iTs awesome.

P.S, I really Think These guys should beat iT, attacking Kulyie's personality cos of her decision not to marry is uncalled for. People have The righT to make choices, haba!
it shows how light some of their brains are when the penis is more active than the brain
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by tintingz(m): 11:09am On Jul 07, 2013
kulyie: on the contrary i feel sorry for the peeps that brought you into this world because as far as i am concerned,they didnt give birth.i just hope you are not an only issue because if you are,they are as good as childless.a parent of a retard and a childless couple fall under the same category cheesy pele.try wise up so that your parents can gain from you cheesy
Have seen that your foolishness has grown higher, why involving my parents angry do you have parents at all??

I wont join you in your foolishness insulting parents... This is what feminism have caused to women SMH
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by tintingz(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2013

Its your choice na, if you like marry 20 men shebi na your hole grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by tintingz(m): 11:22am On Jul 07, 2013
kulyie: how do you know that?didirin :/
Ode, read all your posts undecided
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2013
tintingz: Its your choice na, if you like marry 20 men shebi na your hole grin
exactly.let that be her buisness,no be she get the hole in question,enle cheesy

abi for your village them dey take taperule measure am abi e dey show for face.pele :p
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 07, 2013
tintingz: Ode, read all your posts undecided
oponu, upgrade your intellect so you can comprehend things easily :p
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2013
tintingz: Have seen that your foolishness has grown higher, why involving my parents angry do you have parents at all??

I wont join you in your foolishness insulting parents... This is what feminism have caused to women SMH
grin grin smh grin

smile jesus loves you.abeg today na sunday,lets keep the sabbath day holy,so says the holy book grin
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by SisiKill1: 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
fellis:

I didn't want to comment on TV's posts before, but for god's sake, I don't understand why it is so hard, so very hard for Nigerians to understand that not everybody wants marriage. It's just a simple matter of preference, some people want a certain thing and some people have no desire for that thing. How hard is it to understand that?

I feel for kulyie, see the way different men are attacking her because she said she doesn't want to get married.

Na by force to marry? Why all the animosity now?

It is truly perplexing and quite frankly. ...very very disturbing. The way they carry on, one would think she said she believes children should be fed broken glass with their morning cereal.

Haba! She does not believe the marriage institution is not meant for her....HER not everyone oh just her so what is the big deal?

Jeez!!

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by bukatyne(f): 1:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
biolabee:

Buka.....where have you been

If it were my sis and she wants to stay good... her choice
If she wants to go .. her choice

As long as she is able to fend for herself most importantly as economic issues colour decisions

However i will never support killing a man because of a perfectly allowed customary marriage arrangement

Polygamy is allowed in our nation

Marriage is not by force......

ISh

Where else? In the Bukateria cooking of course! grin

Biola! who has talked of killing? No body is worth bagging life for.

You always seem against posters who suggest divorce/separation in such circumstances...

It's well cheesy

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by bukatyne(f): 1:51pm On Jul 07, 2013
TV01:

And no offence intended or taken.

I'd still like to see a biblical outline of your assertion if you care to oblige. If only because I never really thought about it like that.

Best
TV

Matt 19: 11 - 12; 1 Cor 7
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by SisiKill1: 2:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
kulyie: billie jean are more like prostitutes,a higher level though who dont stay in brothels but is a member of groupies who with her other members hang around shows and concerts looking for musicians to sleep with and be paid.they could be like 4 girls sleeping with a musician.

And it is a huge insult on my intelligence to be referring to me as a groupy because of my choice to stay single much more earning money from different musicians.

Go and read what propelled michael jackson to sing about billie jean,it had to do with a lady who with her other members have sex with different musicians and she got pregnant and wanted to hang the pregnancy on michael because he had a one night stand with her and her other members.that was why he sang 'billie jean not my lover' as in she isnt a regular sex partner with michael,just a regular groupy girl.that why he sang that the child is not his son.it came out of a real life situation,more like his personal experience and that lunatic has the effontery to subtly refer to me as a member of a groupy who services male musicians because of money

I think the Billie Jean referenced here is Billie Jean King the Tennis player who became very famous for levelling the playing field (literally and figuratively speaking) for women in tennis. She played in the still much talked about battle of the sexes Tennis match where she trounced her male opponent.

Until Billie Jean King came along, most people saw women's tennis as something bored suburban housewives did to pass away their time. Women who played professionally didn't get as much recognition or endorsements as their male counterparts. So Billie Jean King is recognized for changing that mindset.

Seriously though, you can't be faulted for thinking it was a derogatory remark seeing as that's the default mode for many NL guys when a girl challenges their chauvinistic beliefs.

biolabee: And here was I thinking billie jean was a heroine of the feminist movement cheesy
Instead of making silly statements which adds nothing to the discourse...wouldn't it have been better and less inflammatory to correct her....especially when it is obvious it was a misunderstanding on her part and you clearly. . . CLEARLY know which Billie Jean is being referenced here?

Then again, where is the fun in that, eh? How do you get to play the great placater whose only desire is to put out the flames he secretly helped stoke?

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 07, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

I think the Billie Jean referenced here is Billie Jean King the Tennis player who became very famous for levelling the playing field (literally and figuratively speaking) for women in tennis. She played in the still much talked about battle of the sexes Tennis match where she trounced her male opponent.

Until Billie Jean King came along, most people saw women's tennis as something bored suburban housewives did to pass away their time. Women who played professionally didn't get as much recognition or endorsements as their male counterparts. So Billie Jean King is recognized for changing that mindset.

Seriously though, you can't be faulted for thinking it was a derogatory remark seeing as that's the default mode for many NL guys when a girl challenges their chauvinistic beliefs.

Instead of making silly statements which adds nothing to the discourse...wouldn't it have been better and less inflammatory to correct her....especially when it is obvious it was a misunderstanding on her part and you clearly. . . CLEARLY know which Billie Jean is being referenced here?

Then again, where is the fun in that, eh? How do you get to play the great placater whose only desire is to put out the flames he secretly helped stoke?
thank you o jare for clarifying issues.i suggest you listen to the lyrics of that song so you will understand what michael referred to as billie jean and in its context.

@ op you don taya :/:p
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

I didn't understand the reference initially either but I believe Kulyie has the right Billie Jean. Here he mentions it as being related to a worldwide musical hit.

TV01:

Oh man! Your'not condoning my post just ruined a really good garlic burp. Meanie angry.

Ah, ah, that's simply not fair. Of course I know it's not every woman, I'm not that naive. I do appreciate that some of you are raging lesbians grin.

And perhaps I should rethink the Billie Jean tag. I mean, can anyone really envision a worldwide hit about an mgbeke feminist and a turkey baster? Didn't think so.

TV

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by biolabee(m): 3:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
Save some jollof for me oo
There's a topic where polygamy was just cause for a woman to commit murder

It's somewhere... Read the acerbic comments

bukatyne:

Where else? In the Bukateria cooking of course! grin

Biola! who has talked of killing? No body is worth bagging life for.

You always seem against posters who suggest divorce/separation in such circumstances...

It's well cheesy

@sisikill once again you attack
I don't know about billiejean so why should I correct
I learnt something new myself and what did you mean about secret stokings

Anybody watching the wimbledon mens final.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by bukatyne(f): 3:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
biolabee: Save some jollof for me oo
There's a topic where polygamy was just cause for a woman to commit murder

It's somewhere... Read the acerbic comments

Anybody watching the wimbledon mens final.

I don't do jollof; Edikaekong and obgono soup cheesy
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by bukatyne(f): 3:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
If Keenan is fighting for polygamy so the fight for polyandry can be pushed later, it makes no sense.

The evilof polygamy is not about equality but what is morally right. Wife to be no 2 should think of how she would feel if she were in wifey one's shoes. The hubby should also imagine how he would feel if the wifey marries another husband.

Equality in this case would mean that if a man can marry more than one wife, a wife can marry more than one husband. This would not cure the pain and betrayal the aggrieved party would feel. if my hubby marries a second wife, I don't give a damn if my female neighbours can marry 10 husbands; it would not cure the pain and betrayal I feel.

Any man/woman who cannot stick to one partner is not compelled to marry or should marry spouses who have the same ideology.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2013
bukatyne: If Keenan is fighting for polygamy so the fight for polyandry can be pushed later, it makes no sense.

The evilof polygamy is not about equality but what is morally right. Wife to be no 2 should think of how she would feel if she were in wifey one's shoes. The hubby should also imagine how he would feel if the wifey marries another husband.

Equality in this case would mean that if a man can marry more than one wife, a wife can marry more than one husband. This would not cure the pain and betrayal the aggrieved party would feel. if my hubby marries a second wife, I don't give a damn if my female neighbours can marry 10 husbands; it would not cure the pain and betrayal I feel.

Any man/woman who cannot stick to one partner is not compelled to marry or should marry spouses who have the same ideology.

Exactly why I said this Keenan person may not be not very bright and needs to go and sit down somewhere. She's only giving a tunnel vision spin to events. Not at all describing the full picture.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by SisiKill1: 6:12pm On Jul 07, 2013
ileobatojo:

I didn't understand the reference initially either but I believe Kulyie has the right Billie Jean. Here he mentions it as being related to a worldwide musical hit.

Whoa! I didn't even notice that, I was going by his first post here...

TV01: ..lol @ Kuylie...Nairalands own "Billie Jean" Feminist.

The only Billy Jean I've seen being used in the Feminism Context is Billy Jean King and I just assumed that's who he meant but this whole world wide hit reference throws a wrench into the entire issue ooh.

Surely he. . .he does not think Michael Jackson's Billy Jean exemplifies Feminism or worse that the Billy Jean song is about the Feminist Billy Jean King. Now THAT is just all sorts of ignorant...don't get me wrong, It would explain a lot but still all sorts of ignorant. lipsrsealed

biolabee:

Sure you don't.

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

The only Billy Jean I've seen being used in the Feminism Context is Billy Jean King and I just assumed that's who he meant but this whole world wide hit reference throws a wrench into the entire issue ooh.

Surely he. . .he does not think Michael Jackson's Billy Jean exemplifies Feminism or worse that the Billy Jean song is about the Feminist Billy Jean King. Now THAT is just all sorts of ignorant...don't get me wrong, It would explain a lot but still all sorts of ignorant. lipsrsealed

Who knows what point he's trying to make. Hopefully, it's not Kulyie's original interpretation.

@ Billie Jean King: classy old lady!
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2013
Na wa o!

Una still dey thrash out this matter? undecided undecided
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 8:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
Efemena_xy: Na wa o!

Una still dey thrash out this matter? undecided undecided

You flatter them. They have not actually broached the issue at hand - even in passing.

To wit;

This thread was about Polygamy as espoused by a feminist. I posted to say whatever unions men and women enter into, if structurally flawed or dysfunctionally applied, they would be deleterious to society as a whole.

My point, as ever, in my posting in the family section is to seek the national well-being through strong and flourishing families.

I also made an aside at Kuylie, who from memory had long spouted ill-thought out feminist rhetoric and at points presented as Muslim and Christian (Chrislamic?). I remember a repentance of sorts where I thought she’d given all that up, hence my jokey aside. I’ve never actually responded to Kuylie prior to this discussion.

In the course of this thread Kuylie has;

- Crowed about a serious physic assaulting on a man who presented no danger to her
- Being tart in stating she would “procure” a child. And not because she appreciated the responsibility of raising a
child or preparing a citizen of tomorrow to the best of her abilities in the best setting possible, but just so that
she could show “genetic” material to her parents.
- Relished the fact that she can deny a child his/her basic human rights
- Has espoused surrogacy – with its attendant risks – as a mere convenience
- She has endorsed any type of union, without the slightest pause for thought on the impact on society, let alone any
children involved. Essentially saying, permissiveness (as opposed to informed and responsible choice) is the rule.
- Has rained vitriol – and of the most caustic type – on men generally and me specifically.
- And still found time to disdain African women in general.

And none of the women has picked her upon on any of that. Or indeed, given any searing insight into the topic, sought a different perspective or otherwise deepened the discussion.

Instead, the focus has been on a mis-reading my posts and mis-ascribing things to me, just to justify feminist frothing at the mouth.

Sisi Kill gave an outline of what BJ may mean, concluding that although Kuylie was wrong, it was still my fault as nl men are typically chauvinist. As fine an example of specious judicial activism (or blind feminist herding) as you’ll ever see.

Are you all so insecure, so shallow, so lacking? Any wonder men typically don’t - in fact, can’t - take you seriously. Whilst I acknowledge the occasional coherent piece from women in here, I have little fear of waking up one morning and finding it’s no longer a mans world.

Laughable, in a tragic sort of way.

TV

1 Like

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 8:52pm On Jul 07, 2013
You gave salient, constructive points within your post - until the penultimate paragraph where you let your emotions get the better of you and digressed into a generalization of sorts about the capabilities of women folk in general.

Not very nice TV01. I do understand you may have been miffed by Kulyie's responses to you but don't tar us all with the same brush, will you? That was quite low, even for you.

Anyway, that aside, I am interested in a comment you made:

TV01:

I posted to say whatever unions men and women enter into, if structurally flawed or dysfunctionally applied, they would be deleterious to society as a whole.

What in your opinion, is the ideal union that would be most beneficial to the society in whole with regards to marriage? And if you do decide on a particular type of union, kindly explain why the others won't fit and might not be beneficial to society? With regards to??

Finally, when you say society, which society do you have in mind? The Nigerian society or society in general?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by SisiKill1: 9:20pm On Jul 07, 2013
TV01:

Sisi Kill gave an outline of what BJ may mean, concluding that although Kuylie was wrong, it was still my fault as nl men are typically chauvinist. As fine an example of specious judicial activism (or blind feminist herding) as you’ll ever see.

TV

Dude rein in your emotions please, it has no play here.... undecided

How exactly did I blame you?!!

Sisi_Kill:

I'd suggest you read that again...this time with a less hand wringing, emotionally wrought frame of mind.

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Dude rein in your emotions please, it has no play here.... undecided

How exactly did I blame you?!!

I'd suggest you read that again...this time with a less hand wringing, emotionally wrought frame of mind.

Lol! you have time to respond to that completely pointless post. All I wanted to learn was the meaning of Billie Jean feminist only to see a whole load of senseless, emotional drivel. Abeg, when he has time, he should define Billie Jean feminist for us so we can understand jare.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 10:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
^^ I must be seeing things from a completely different angle here, 'cos the Billie Jean that comes to mind is the one Micheal Jackson sang about... and that song / album was a hit.

Or is there another one??
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 12:24am On Jul 08, 2013
Efemena_xy: You gave salient, constructive points within your post - until the penultimate paragraph where you let your emotions get the better of you and digressed into a generalization of sorts about the capabilities of women folk in general.

Feel free to - or obliged to defend your corner. It is warranted.The occasional piece that's worthy of attention, but for the most part, fluff. And it wasn't women folk in general, it's typically female posters on the family section of nl - and not all, made that clear.

Efemena_xy:
Not very nice TV01. I do understand you may have been miffed by Kulyie's responses to you but don't tar us all with the same brush, will you? That was quite low, even for you.

Kulyie is the last person to miff me. She has a visible enough presence here for me to know exactly what she's like. I believe she's earnest, but misguided - and maybe with possible cause. Overly carried away by what is an unsound and - in our context - unworkable ideology. I've always hoped that in time she'd get it without any lasting damage, but know full well she trips easily. I simply don't expect that much from her.

As far tarring you all, Count all the female posts on this thread and see how many have so much as addressed the topic, let alone added any real value.

Efemena_xy:
Anyway, that aside, I am interested in a comment you made:

What in your opinion, is the ideal union that would be most beneficial to the society in whole with regards to marriage? And if you do decide on a particular type of union, kindly explain why the others won't fit and might not be beneficial to society? With regards to??

Finally, when you say society, which society do you have in mind? The Nigerian society or society in general?

My opinion on this is - and has been - consistent through all my postings. And l don't even see the response here as anything but obvious. But I'll answer and maybe someone will surprise me in response. In short;

Faithful, lifelong, monogamous marriage. Co-habitation, Polyandry, SSM or any other form (all things being equal), simply do not deliver the same benefits. And that's any society.

TV

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 12:56am On Jul 08, 2013
bukatyne:
Matt 19: 11 - 12; 1 Cor 7

Hi Bukatyne I read this and see nothing that directly correlates to this assertion.

bukatyne:
I also want to believe you are not saying that a person cannot be happy without marriage because you know biblically that it's not true.

For what it's worth, I feel your question - especially in this context - should have been more about the place of marriage in society, who marriage is for and/or perhaps the benefits to society and individual fulfillment.

However I look at it the question seems odd? True or not, biblical or not. And only makes any sense in direct response to an assertion of that as a fact?

TV

2 Likes

Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by Nobody: 3:31am On Jul 08, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ I must be seeing things from a completely different angle here, 'cos the Billie Jean that comes to mind is the one Micheal Jackson sang about... and that song / album was a hit.

Or is there another one??

Billie Jean King is a living tennis legend, multiple tennis grand slam winner, feminist and social activist. She was front and center in the fight for equality of the male and female tennis circuit including equal pay. She was part of the women's lib movement.
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by EfemenaXY: 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2013
TV01:

My opinion on this is - and has been - consistent through all my postings. And l don't even see the response here as anything but obvious. But I'll answer and maybe someone will surprise me in response. In short;

Faithful, lifelong, monogamous marriage. Co-habitation, Polyandry, SSM or any other form (all things being equal), simply do not deliver the same benefits. And that's any society.

TV

You still haven't answered my question fully. You gave a partial response.

What makes the monogamous union / marriage more beneficial to society than the other forms of union you listed? On what criteria do you base your judgement and conclusion?
Re: Legalize Polygamy! By Jillian Keenan A Feminist by TV01(m): 8:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You still haven't answered my question fully. You gave a partial response.

What makes the monogamous union / marriage more beneficial to society than the other forms of union you listed? On what criteria do you base your judgement and conclusion?

As a Christian, the short answer here is biblical writ, which I believe even non-believers are aware of even if they don't subscribe to it.

But whatever your faith or choice not to subscribe to any, one needs only look at how societies have developed - or how they work in practice - to reach that objective conclusion. Most especially when bearing in mind the optimal benefit to men, women, children and hence society as a whole.

Society has a vested interest in ensuring it's perpetuation and hence raising of the next generation, the simplest way to do this is for men to commit to the mother of the children they jointly produce. This means whilst the state still has to spend on infrastructure (hospitals, schools etc), the welfare bill is reduced.

Co-habitation is not as good for kids, rarely proving as enduring as marriage. Polygamy is second best here as all things being equal there will be less time and resource for the children and women and it does not meet the emotional needs of the women involved as well. Polyandry will never have widespread acceptance by men. Men are more likely to commit and provide when the parenthood of children is not in doubt and the female is monogamous. SSM is nowhere, it's not actually procreative, unitive or coital. They can't actually have s.ex and they can't really be married. Any children are by design denied one of their biological parents. Single parenthood is likewise not optimal. All told children thrive best with their biological parents.

I could go on about the benefits to men and more about those to women, but it could get expansive. But that's a starter for 10. Open to question or challenge.

Criteria, benefits to men, women and children. Most natural and cost effective and least likely to engender societal ills.

TV

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gender And Chores- Issues In Relationships And Marriages / What Do We Really Need Polygamy For? / My Husband Is Acting Funny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.