Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,551 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address (21387 Views)

APC Senators Fight As Truce Meeting Fails Again - Punch / APC Leaders Angry With Buhari Over State Of Emergency Comments / Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: Senators exchanging blow as tempers flare over State of Nation Address

LEGISREPORTS NG – A wild drama ensured today during plenary as Senators of the upper chamber of the National Assembly engaged each other in a festival of blows when tempers flared over attempts to each a decision on the State of the Nation Address Bill which was earlier passed by the apex legislative body.

During debate on the Bill which was refused assent by President Goodluck Jonathan due to certain clauses there-in, the lawmakers felt strongly on a need to veto same into law.

Tempers were flayed when moves were made by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu to sway lawmakers into voting that the consideration on the Bill be suspended.

LEGISREPORTS gathered that opposition Senators who felt otherwise engaged their counterparts in the Majority in a trade of words that heightened the already tensed and charged atmosphere on the floor.

Just as the show of shameful engagement ensued, a fight broke out between Senator Kabiru Marafa (CPC, Zamfara) and Senator Paulinus Igwe (PDP, Ebonyi).

Details later

Source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMD9Om2Dfw
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Afam4eva(m): 4:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
They're back at what they know how to do best. Throwing chairs in the National assembly. I wonder how the children of these people will feel seeing their day throwing punch on National TV. At least these two senators have joined the National assembly boxing hall of fame.

Here are previous inductees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcroSnd8XW8

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Maidoki14(m): 4:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
House of commotion.i wish dis could change dem for good.bunch of criminals ....
eGuerrilla:

Source
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva: They're back at what they know how to do best. Throwing chairs in the National assembly. I wonder how the children of these people will feel seeing their day throwing punch on National TV. At least these two senators have joined the National assembly boxing hall of fame.

To be honest, I think this heightening of contradictions is great for the polity.
It is good to know that some of these senators actually do feel passionate about issues, in the absence of Militician David Mark. grin

Tempers were flayed when moves were made by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu to sway lawmakers into voting that the consideration on the Bill be suspended.
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Enegod(m): 4:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
interesting...
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2013
Afam4eva: They're back at what they know how to do best. Throwing chairs in the National assembly. I wonder how the children of these people will feel seeing their day throwing punch on National TV. At least these two senators have joined the National assembly boxing hall of fame.

This what they are paid for, explosive arguments not the usual lazy nay and hias

4 Likes

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by londoner: 4:55pm On Jul 03, 2013
When will these "people" evolve into balanced human beings?
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by abu0710102013: 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
they are very good at it

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
are they trying to compete with the house of rep in the fighting game make they leave fighting for house of rep members ooo....that is their legislative exclusive duty
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Lusola15: 6:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Am not surpriced
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
grin...if am asked to choose,I think the one on white won the combat cheesy

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by omonnakoda: 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
This shows how committed they are?
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Waspy(m): 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
Imagine!!...Distinguished Senatouts

2 Likes

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 03, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Sicozone(m): 8:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
brb
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Skiddo2013(m): 8:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
I would have felt better if they have this passion for the common man. But alas, when it is something that concerns the commoner, they sit on their asses and proclaim 'aye' and 'nay'.

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Adrenaline123(m): 8:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
is this not old news
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Lordave: 9:08pm On Jul 03, 2013

abeg modify this tin
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by DuduNegro: 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2013
Both of them should be arrested for unlawful conduct on public grounds and disturbance of peace.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Symphony007: 9:48pm On Jul 03, 2013
What a shame..the nigerian government is a disgrace. I can understand if members of the house of representatives fight because they are the true representatives of the people, more passionate and more in number but the senate? Which is supposed to be a gentlemens club for the luminated? Shamefull, how many times have you seen members of the house of lords or u.s senate fight? Once again..shame!
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
I did not realise David Mark was in attendance when the gladiatorial contest kicked off...

State Of Nation Address: Mark Adjourns Debates To Calm Tension

The Senate on Wednesday adjourned debate, indefinitely, on President Goodluck Jonathan’s request for amendment to the State of Nation Address bill to calm rising tension among Senators.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that Jonathan had requested the Senate to redraft some clauses of the bill to bring it in conformity with the Constitution.

The Senators argued that Jonathan’s request was an indirect refusal of assent to the bill, insisting that the Senate should override the President’s veto and pass the bill into law.

The Deputy Senate Leader, Sen. Abdul Ningi said the bill should be returned to the President for assent or rejection.

He said the Senate could exercise its Constitutional powers to overide the veto if the President refused to give assent.

Ningi said the content of the bill was not a duplication of the constitutional provisions, but an opportunity for the President to tell Nigerians where his government was headed.

``This is going to be an institutionalised culture for our democracy and not targeted at personalities.

``The letter has no merit. It has no basis and should be returned to him to sign or reject the bill and for us to veto the President for the first time.

``It is in his own interest and in the interest of the nation, ‘’ he said.

Sen. Ita Enang (PDP-Akwa Ibom) said that the Executive could not request for an amendment when it did not make any presentation opposing aspects of the bill during the public hearings.

Enang said the Constitution only provides for the President to either give assent or reject assent to a bill and not to propose amendment.

He advised that the interpretation of the Judiciary (Supreme Court) should be sought on whether the President has power to propose amendment to a bill already passed by the Parliament.

``He is not a part of the legislature. So, he has only two options; either to assent or reject assent.

``This is an opportunity for the legislature to seek the interpretation of the Supreme Court on whether the President has power to propose amendment after a bill had been passed.

``I pray this Senate sets a legislative precedence by not acceding to any amendment proposed,’’ Enang added.

Similarly, Sen. Ahmed Lawan (ANPP-Yobe) urged the Senate to override the President because the bill was targeted to make the nation better.

The Deputy Senate President, Sen. Ike Ekweremadu cautioned that the bill should be sent back to the Conference Committee of both Chambers for proper guidance.

``We can send it back to the Conference Committee to advise us whether or not to override the President.

``This bill is very important to the nation and we cannot afford to lag behind where other smaller nations are ahead of us,’’ he advised.

The debates became charged following the calls by majority of the lawmakers on the Senate to override the President’s veto on the Bill.

There was also an altercation involving Senators Kabiru Marafa (ANPP – Zamfara), Bashir Garba (PDP – Kano) and Paulinus Igwe (PDP- Ebonyi).

In another scene, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu (ACN- Lagos) and Sen. James Manager (PDP- Delta) were also involved in a verbal exchange with the two pointing fingers at each other.

The Senate spokesman, Sen. Enyinnaya Abaribe, however, explained to journalists that the argument involving Marafa, Garba and Igwe was not related to the debate.

He explained that the trio was arguing over whose right it was to bring a motion on the proposed plan by Zamfara Governor, Alhaji Abdulazzez Yari to arm vigilante groups in the State.

The Senate President, David Mark had to call off the debates when tempers began to rise resulting in hot exchange words with the plenary turning into a shouting match.

Mark urged Senators to live up to their responsibilities as democrats by avoiding any form of hostility in the course of resolving issues on the floor of the Senate.

``As democrats, we should resolve all the problems by talking and not by boxing.

``In any case, for the first time in 14 years, I have seen an effort for people to put out boxing gloves. It is never necessary, we must never do that, we are distinguished senators and elder statesmen.

``We can do all the talking, but we should never resort to boxing.

``I want to appeal once more that we should suspend the debate on this for today if nothing else, but because of the way tempers have risen.

``We are all on the same wave length on this particular matter. So, please, I want to appeal to you that we suspend debate on this subject.

Source
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by nijanigga: 11:08pm On Jul 03, 2013
Who told you,Nigeria don't deserve a coup?
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by sylve11: 11:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
londoner: When will these "people" evolve into balanced human beings?

that wont happen, @least not now. cool
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Gifted4all(m): 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gbagaun e don set
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by israel007: 11:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
Wonder where there manners are
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by DoffMan2: 11:14pm On Jul 03, 2013
eGuerrilla:

To be honest, I think this heightening of contradictions is great for the polity.
It is good to know that some of these senators actually do feel passionate about issues, in the absence of Militician David Mark. grin

Exactly what I was thinking
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by AbuMikey(m): 11:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
Parliamentary Rumble
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Desdola(m): 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
A show of shame indeed. what r they teaching d future leaders?
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by iy8701: 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
A sheep will always remain a sheep and a wolf will always remain a wolf,oblivious of the environment, their niche in the society and the expensive lifestyle they tend to live.

embarassed
Shiiit!!!! Senators fighting in NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MY granny most not hear this
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
londoner: When will these "people" evolve into balanced human beings?

Stop lamenting. . .Was it not you guys that voted them into power ? Next time,you learn to use your vote wisely !

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by xatbiodam: 11:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
this nigeriam sef, i dont understand them,.... www.iblognaija.com
Re: Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address by curiouslad(m): 11:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
All these street urchins that forced their way into power through political thuggery

Take a pig, bath him, cloth him, and make him up like a pet dog. The pig would still find ways to display it's pig instincts

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / 2023: Leave APC Before It’s Too Late –Bamgbose Tells Igbo Presidential Aspirants / Appeal Court Sacks Senate Minority Leader PDP's Mwadkwon, orders fresh election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.