Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! (16278 Views)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? / Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Superbrain(m): 5:21pm On Feb 05, 2011
Hello people,

I'll like to know what the experience is live having to move out from one's parent's house after getting a job or after graduation. At what age is it ideal to do so and what should one anticipate in terms of expenses and set-backs?
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by martyns303(m): 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2011
Was 23 and my family is relocating, told them i won't be moving in with the in the new accomodation that am staying back till the rent of the former place expires then am moving on. Well hunger changed my mind cos i was not well finaced at the time!

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Outstrip(f): 11:49pm On Feb 05, 2011
LOL. Well that is one answer for you

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by iice(f): 5:21pm On Feb 07, 2011
No much transition for me since i kinda started living alone in high school. . .we (siblings) all did.
Remember bills come twice as fast as checks. Don't spend unnecessary. Ideally, you should atleast be earning. Age wise hmmm, i will just say when you're ready for it undecided.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by IbrahimB: 5:29pm On Feb 07, 2011
"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh"  wink

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by cornoil(m): 5:43pm On Feb 07, 2011
when you ve got the financial means to handle your needs, you can move out.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by dayokanu(m): 5:44pm On Feb 07, 2011
After NYSC
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Jencejyde(m): 5:52pm On Feb 07, 2011
cornoil:

correct!

dayokanu:

After NYSC
Not so correct
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by comechop(m): 5:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
very different mindset in the US compared to back home. You can see grown men in their 30's still living under mum and dads roof - in the US independence - at least from family is pushed early.

To OP:
Learn how to cook, dont eat out as much, keep a good account/credit, and be smart. You'll be alright.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Ibime(m): 6:03pm On Feb 07, 2011
I left home at 16.

My only advice is dont try it without steady income.

Also move where you have friends, otherwise could be boring, especially abroad.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Jean2(m): 6:11pm On Feb 07, 2011
Before or after NYSC should be every ones target. You go back home (after NYSC) and it may be one day after another, you wake, you eat, you sleep and before you know it time is fast spent.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Mobinga: 6:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2011
in general, after NYSC.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by amdman: 6:24pm On Feb 07, 2011
The latest time to leave home is for NYSC (if you are in naija). That is, as you are leaving for NYSC, say your final goodbyes, and let them know that any other time you come to the house, you are just visiting.

I know this will offend many folks, but how can someone (guys mostly) finish service and return back home, to continue eating mummy's food? It may not be too bad if you are contributing to the bottom line ie home upkeep but most guys that can want to live on their own anyway.

More coming tomorrow.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by OWOLAYEMO: 6:48pm On Feb 07, 2011
Some of us have always been on our own so the question of when to leave home does NOT arrive. Survive has been the driven force. Even whilst my parents wants us to stay and leave at our convenience the means to sustained this was NOT just there. You are therefore left with one alternative; launched-out or die in the house. Looking back now, i could only say thank you God for those hard days.

And back to the big question, when to leave the house? I will strongly advise that you leave when you are sure you can withstand the pressure of life without crying back to Mama.

But my simple advise is "launch - out but never leave-home" cos when outside becomes unbearable; home is where to run back to?

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by tlops(m): 6:50pm On Feb 07, 2011
At 11 I moved out to boarding school, At 19 I moved to study (Uni) very far  from home. 23 I moved to work in the north also served. at 25 tavelled out for further study.

well, I got used to handling my own life quite early. moreover I am the youngest, so I had to flee all  the house works, lol.

so it depends, cos most of the times I lived away, I wasn't necessarily independent till 23.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
this is for those of u sayin after nysc, i'm a corper currently serving in anambra state,we only get #9,750 as monthly allowance,which we must manage to feed,transport,and cloth ourselves all tru service year. Are u guys sayin dat we shud secure a loan after nysc to rent and furnish an apartmnt and to cater for general livin expenses or wat? Abeg i nid answers pls, because dis topic concern me well well oh

4 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Feb 07, 2011
I'm 24 now and have not even contemplated moving out. Maybe it's because of the way i was brought up. When someone gets married seems like the righttime to move out.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Parnassuss(m): 7:14pm On Feb 07, 2011
I have been tortured by the urge to move out. I could have wen i made a pile of money two years back but my family nearly ostracized me for even thinking it. Now i'm broke and everyone can't wait to c me go. undecided
Move out wen u know it will add to the current status,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by divinereal: 7:15pm On Feb 07, 2011
Definitely after college/university. It is pertinent for one to learn critical life and survival skills.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by naijacutee(f): 7:17pm On Feb 07, 2011
I became independent quite early as I moved to boarding school at 11, and relocated abroad at 16. I stayed with family however until I was 18, so I'll still class them as my parents. At 18, I moved out to live on my own, manage myself and I don't I could ever move back to live in my parents house - not because they won't have me back, but just because I've been independent for so long, there's bound to be a clash of interests.  
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 7:22pm On Feb 07, 2011
enamaye:

this is for those of u sayin after nysc, i'm a corper currently serving in anambra state,we only get #9,750 as monthly allowance,which we must manage to feed,transport,and cloth ourselves all tru service year. Are u guys sayin dat we shud secure a loan after nysc to rent and furnish an apartmnt and to cater for general livin expenses or wat? Abeg i nid answers pls, because dis topic concern me well well oh

it's assumed your family will help you resettle, but if that's not feasible for whatever reason, then the NYSC comments are mainly general, not specific.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lovejo(m): 7:25pm On Feb 07, 2011
i move out at 17th and now i'm successful, i think the earlier the better for guys, it gives you more challenges and how to handle it.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by linsa01(m): 7:38pm On Feb 07, 2011
I'll going for my NYSC in march. I don't pray to come back here & live in d same roof wif my siblings.
To kip my respect intanct, I must nt come back home 2 stay or else

2 Likes

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by obailala(m): 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2011
cornoil:

Just my thoughts. . .

Best time for a man to move out is when he has the finances to live independent. For a lady, i think the best time is when she gets married.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by iz2much: 7:43pm On Feb 07, 2011
Now is the time
i moved out when i was 23, and i was there on and off for 2 years before i finally move out at 23

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by sirwebs(m): 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
30, working, earning relatively well, but still living at home. Guess i'l be here until i get married.
My folks don't mind. I'm a bit in my comfort zone cos home is very comfortable.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by bsparks: 8:20pm On Feb 07, 2011
Ideally, 21 should be it but if u've missed that milestone, after NYSC would be fine. I vowed I wasn't going be financially dependent after NYSC so I stayed back, 8 yrs later I strongly believe it was the right decision. The last time I received any money from my folks was the day my mom dropped me off at the park, enroute NYSC camp.
Cheers
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by dayokanu(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
While in University, I was living in the hostel and going home for Holidays.

After NYSC the only times i go home is for xmas.

The last money i got from my parent (aside loans) was transport fare to Bauchi for NYSC
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2011
I was despoiled in Lagos. Am the last born and i stayed with mum throughout nursery,primary and high school. When i moved out i only know how to boil yam. It was very hard coz i still cried to mama from their. Lagos forced me to be man. It nearly cut my dickk! cheesy still run back home during break to get my rest, were I'd eat free meals without having to boil water. It's only money that will move me entirely. But i still love home, there is no where like home especially now that i have people that matters so much arround.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by seedord247(m): 8:32pm On Feb 07, 2011
I lost ma Dad at the age of 17 and i moved out of my moms house at the age of 18 staying with my friends ( but if not for ma Dad Death who born monkey way say he no go eat banana)
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by born2boink(m): 8:38pm On Feb 07, 2011
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Moving out of father's house and living all alone with ashewo hoping to be your wife in future draining the little money left from income, May God help the boys as he has help all fathers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? / How Do You Handle Rumors About Yourself? Share Tips / Reasons Kids Are Tiny Drunk Adults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.