Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,735 members, 7,851,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:32 PM

Orji Kalu Once Told Nigerians That Obasanjo Is Stealing Billion In 2005 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Kalu Once Told Nigerians That Obasanjo Is Stealing Billion In 2005 (772 Views)

Buhari Is The Next President And Jonathan Is aware Of That – Obasanjo / Buhari Is The Next President And Jonathan Is Aware Of That – Obasanjo / Orji Kalu Offers To Replace Buhari In Dialogue With Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Orji Kalu Once Told Nigerians That Obasanjo Is Stealing Billion In 2005 by jookco(m): 12:15pm On May 16, 2008
Orji Kalu says President Obasanjo is Corrupt. EFCC Investigates.
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:05 PM »

With all the brick throwing and back stabbings comes this shocker from the Abia state governor. Na wa ooo, at this point in time, what can we say. These are the same people who call themselves leaders. They sit and plot the future of our country from their fortresses telling us what to do like zombies. They make malicious and unguarded utterances in the media without remorse whatsoever therefore, I need to know the following

Is it true that the president is corrupt and insincere like the governor has said?

What is the true story behind the Obasanjo/Atiku dilemma?

Is there a way forward?

What’s the hope for the youths in this our great country giving the present antecedence of our so called leaders? If there a way we could avoid the pitfalls of these guys in our own time because as we all know, our time is now. I really need to know.

Seun (m) Re: Orji Kalu says President Obasanjo is Corrupt. EFCC Investigates.
« #1 on: September 05, 2005, 04:58 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The text of Governor Kalu's letter to President Obasanjo on the 22nd of August 2005, "Working for Posterity to Judge Us" is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[salutation],
Working for Posterity to Judge Us

I write you this letter with a deep sense of patriotism, and without any malice. As a practising Christian I detest sycophancy in whatever guise, and this is why I have always offered to tell you the truth, no matter how bitter it may be.

I may not be in your good books, even though I made huge personal sacrifice and contributed tens of millions of naira to your 1999 presidential campaign.

But my joy is that, at least, you can acknowledge that I am one of those you can count on to speak the truth to you at all times and without any let or hindrance.

It is now about four years since your administration emba-rked upon its anti-corruption crusade. Nevertheless, I regret to observe that the campaign has not yielded the desired result because it lacked focus and strong foundation ab initio.

The unrelenting resentment of the campaign by many Nigerians, including the media, is attributable to the fact that they see it as a deliberate plot to witch-hunt and muzzle perceived political enemies.

The high-handed, draconian, and commando-like operations of the EFCC and Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) so far have negated all that our democracy stands for. They do not hide their bias neither do they function within the ambits of the laws setting them up. Again, the establishment of the two institutions is a mere duplication since there are existing provisions in our legislation to handle their functions.

In any case, the most preposterous and incredulous aspect of your anti-corruption campaign is that while the media is awash with stories on the activities of EFCC and ICPC corruption is taking root daily in many federal establishments, Aso Rock inclusive. I have said it several times that corruption is rife among senior officials of government, especially those at the federal level.

It is said that a few members of the leadership of the Senate could stoop so low as to drop your name with active connivance of some of your aides to collect large sums in oil and defence contract commissions. The ignominous activities of this cabal, including the foreign accounts of some of your aides, serving and former ministers, are also well known to the international community. I would be surprised if you feign ignorance of this unfortunate situation.

Unbelievably, you have done nothing visible to extinguish this dangerous and sycophantic phenomenon. It seems you have deliberately turned eyes against the atrocities perpetrated by your officials because there is incontrovertible evidence at my disposal that you are afraid to prosecute them for fear of turning the table against yourself. I do not see why you should preach openly against corruption but deep inside you, you have a different attitude towards it.

What about the Abuja National Stadium? Why was the original design for the stadium which had a five star hotel and which contract was won by a Chinese firm discarded and re-awarded to another foreign construction company based in Nigeria without the five star hotel at five times the price quoted by the Chinese firm? There is unquestionable evidence at my disposal why the contract was awarded to the Nigerian-based foreign construction company instead of the Chinese firm.

What much do you know about the operations of the Bureau for Public Enterprises (BPE)? Who collected the commissions for the sale of Ajaokuta Steel Company and Delta Steel Rolling Mill, Aladja? Could both transactions have been said to be transparent?

Why have you found it difficult Your Excellency to probe the activities of the Federal Ministry of Works in spite of my allegation that the ministry stinks? It is an open knowledge that the operations of the ministry between 1999 and 2003 were a monumental fraud.

In a media appearance at the VOA last month I challenged you to openly declare your assets. Up till now you are yet to do so. By declaring your assets openly you will have succeeded in dispelling any doubts on the minds of Nigerians and the international community about the sincerity of your anti-corruption campaign.

Mr. President, you will agree with me that there are still many other questions that I would have loved to put across to you. But I have just asked these few to agitate your mind and dismiss your anti-corruption campaign as mere window-dressing.

A few other examples will baffle you. Let me ask you: Who owns Bell University and Bell Secondary School? I was shocked when you openly denied ownership of the two institutions and rather ascribed their ownership to Dr. Onaolapo Soleye, a one time Minister of Finance. I wish to put it to you, Mr. President, that I have overwhelming evidence to link you with both institutions.

Who paid for the construction of hostels and gigantic sports complex at the Bell Secondary School? I put it to you Sir that both projects were financed with tax payers money through the construction giant, Strabag, five years ago. What role did a former Minister of Sports play in the whole deal? What of the transformation of Ota, which is going on at frenetic speed? Who picks the bill? We knew all these things but deliberately chose to keep mute for the sake of peace.

The third question for you Sir centres on your tenure as Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum Resources since 1999. Why has there not been a properly-audited account for the Ministry of Petroleum Resources since then despite the outcries by the people for this to be done? There is indisputable evidence that all the major deals in the nation’s oil sector are being handled by you through some agents. What about the leakages and the fraud at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), with particular reference to crude oil sales and the accrued commissions? What have you done to check the malfeasance?

You have at several occasions accused top government functionaries, especially the governors, of owing foreign accounts. Can you in all sincerity, Sir, swear that you own no foreign account(s)? There is evidence that you own foreign accounts, including a platinum credit card recently opened for you through which you charge your foreign account and make purchases abroad.

I fear for the ways things are going in this country under your leadership. I fear for the masses of our country which live under dehumanizing conditions. The economy has virtually collapsed, and there is no more middle class. Everything is in shambles yet we make millions of dollars daily from oil. An average Nigeria(n) lives on 60 cents (i.e N78) a day. Is this not a shame and a big scar on our collective psyche?

There is no way we can go on this way. If we continue this way then we are surreptitiously inviting anarchy and cataclysm. The patience of Nigerians is running out fast, and it behoves you to take the bull by the horns and salvage the situation before it consumes all of us.

As I said at the beginning this is a message that should challenge your statesmanship and patriotic zeal. You have an opportunity to write your name in gold if you can begin today to make amends.

You should redirect your energies to only gainful and edifying activities befitting of your exalted office instead of haunting innocent citizens just for refusing to dance to your dictates.

I am a straight forward, transparent and focussed person. I call a spade a spade not minding whose ox is gored. I have demonstrated this through my altruistic service to the people of my state.

I refer you to Galatians 6:7-8, and wish to state in my conclusion that anybody who wants to come to equity must come to equity with clean hands, and those who live in glass house should not throw stones.

You may not bother to like me, just give ear to my admonitions, and let us leave posterity to judge us.

Please accept, Your Excell-ency, the assurances of my highest consideration,
[Signed]
Source
Re: Orji Kalu Once Told Nigerians That Obasanjo Is Stealing Billion In 2005 by tatajega(m): 12:20pm On May 19, 2008
lovely, no wonder demthey witch hunt am, he was obviously considered a trait to a successful operation

(1) (Reply)

One Year After, How Would You Rate The President So Far ? / Compile Ur 7 Wonders Of The World / Yar'adua Moves To Save Adamawa State Governor From Impeachment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.