Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,058 members, 7,863,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 04:31 AM

Ogun Speaker Removed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Speaker Removed (1127 Views)

Abia State Speaker Removed By Tribunal / Ogun Speaker Explains Why Own Convoy Ignored Accident Victims / Ogun Speaker Re-elected. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 7:49pm On May 16, 2008
Lawmakers remove Ogun Speaker

By Ademola Oni, Abeokuta

The Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Chief Titi Oseni, was on Thursday removed from office.

The Impeached Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Chief Titi Oseni
She was replaced by Mr. Tunji Egbetokun representing Obafemi Owode Constituency.

Oseni was not present during the proceedings that culminated in her removal. She was said to be away on official duty in Abuja.

Twenty two of the 26-member Assembly voted for the removal of the Speaker, who had enjoyed a peaceful tenure since she assumed office in 2003.

But in an electronic message the Speaker sent to our correspondent on Thursday, Oseni said she remained the Speaker of the House.

She said, ”No problem. I remain the Speaker. I‘m in Abuja attending a conference on fiscal responsibility. It is resolved.”

It was not immediately clear what precipitated the removal of Oseni, who had been widely touted to have been enjoying the support of the state Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel and the top hierarchy of the party in the state.

While most members of the House refused to make comments, a member, who asked not to be named, said Oseni was removed because ”she is incapable of leading the House in complementing the state in achieving the agenda for a secure future.”

A terse statement from the Personal Assistant to the Speaker on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ayo Giwa, however, said the House did not sit on Thursday, saying the Speaker could not have been impeached.

He said, ”The Ogun State House of Assembly did not sit on Thursday, May 15, 2008, therefore, the issue of removal or non-removal could not have arisen.

“Titi Oseni, who is the legal authority to convene a sitting of the House was on official assignment in Abuja on Thursday, May 15, 2008.”

The statement added that ”nothing has changed” to invalidate the position of Oseni as the Speaker.

The Director of Organisation of the Peoples Democratic Party in the state, Mr. Deji Kalejaiye, told our correspondent on the telephone on Thursday that the party was not ready to make comments on the development.

A few minutes after the brief session that facilitated the removal of the Speaker, tough-looking and heavily armed policemen took over he premises of the Assembly, which had become desolate as at the time our correspondent visited.

The Clerk of the House could also not be located to clarify the development in the Assembly.

Political observers and opposition in the state, however, stated that the embattled Speaker might have ”fallen out of favour with those that had ensured her survival over the years.”
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/may/16/427.html
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 7:50pm On May 16, 2008
Descrimination against women is getting out of hand in Nigeria especially the west. All the female office holders are slowly being impeached one by one. They would've uprooted Iyabo if not for her dad. Who knows their next victim? God save us from our menfolks.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by bluehorizo(m): 10:29pm On May 16, 2008
Did she even qualify to become a Speaker before. The people that made her have also destroyed her. Someone is shouting discrimination . Where is the discrimination coming from? Iyabo Obasanjo is a BIG THIEF that should be thrown and forgotten in jail along side her Monster of a dad. if you don't have any impeachable character how can they impeach you?
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 7:14am On May 17, 2008
Did she even qualify to become a Speaker before. The people that made her have also destroyed her. Someone is shouting discrimination . Where is the discrimination coming from? Iyabo Obasanjo is a BIG THIEF that should be thrown and forgotten in jail along side her Monster of a dad. if you don't have any impeachable character how can they impeach you?

They impeached her in absentia, how creepy is that? Which of them is clean. What happens here is they give women a false sense of security, push them up the Greek way and take out their hands for her free fall then the rightful HE~owner of that seat can ascend, afterall no woman can complain of marginalization after getting and wasting all these chances. The truth hurts.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by otokx(m): 10:44am On May 17, 2008
She should accept it in good faith and then try staging a comeback
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 5:37pm On May 17, 2008
She should accept it in good faith and then try staging a comeback
A comeback? Thats when the men will relax and fart in her face before quashing her. You forgot that Ogun is a solid patriarchial state.Lmao.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by ifyalways(f): 5:40pm On May 17, 2008
OsunAmazon:

They impeached her in absentia, how creepy is that? Which of them is clean. What happens here is they give women a false sense of security, push them up the Greek way and take out their hands for her free fall then the rightful HE~owner of that seat can ascend, afterall no woman can complain of marginalization after getting and wasting all these chances. The truth hurts.
not yet,there are two sides to the story by the same paper.9ja being what it is,anything can happen though undecided
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 5:56pm On May 17, 2008
not yet,there are two sides to the story by the same paper.Nigeria being what it is,anything can happen though

What difference will it even make even if she was there? Anything can happen in Nigeria is kinda funny because its only happening to women lately.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by ifyalways(f): 6:03pm On May 17, 2008
OsunAmazon:

What difference will it even make even if she was there? Anything can happen in Nigeria is kind of funny because its only happening to women lately.
Was she elected in the first place?
If she was appointed by a set and still removed by same set,no big deal in it.  undecided
last time i checked, Mrs  grin Ribadu was impeached  tactically removed too.There is no gender discrimination in it,its still demokrazy. . .Nigeria way.  cheesy
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by OsunAmazon: 8:08pm On May 17, 2008
My sister forget that tory. It's high time we start dining with men with a long spoon. Men will be men.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 10, 2008
Osun amazo,

pls correct ur expression as it's causing burning issue between me n my elder brother, I told him that by the English language convention, whenever you use the phrase "it's high time", the following verb should be in its past form but my brother said I'm wrong but I'm 100% sure that I'm right because my tutor thought me that when I was getting ready for my SSCE years ago and that question actually came out in the exam and the tutor cofirmed to me that I got it right. My brother called me to come and confirm how rigth he is aboutthe use of that expression when he saw ur post.
Re: Ogun Speaker Removed by abdurrazaq(m): 3:56pm On Jun 10, 2008
@omooronna, you are right about the phrase or whatever. May be you find a third party to prove you right before your brother. I don't think all grammatical errors on a public forum like this should be taken seriously because, so many users write anyhow since we are not to be marked by any Professor of English grin

@topic. I think the impeached Speaker is just another victim and, I don't think this has anything to do with her gender. The case of Ribadu is enough evidence.

I called her a victim because she should have been present when the impeachment processes were taken place provided she had been truly impeached.

(1) (Reply)

What If Fashola Goes For A Re-run Guber Election? / Nigeria - Time For Confederation? / Proof That Osama Bin Laden Is Dead!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.