Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder (9081 Views)

Police Arrest Cow For Murder In Ogun / Dimeji Bankole, An Innocent Man Being Punished Unduly. / Police Arraign 25-year-old For Taking Picture With Blackberry Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by KiksAsso: 5:57am On Jul 05, 2013

Shock pervaded the quiet atmosphere of the Ebute Meta Magistrate's Court, Lagos, after an investigating police officer, Corporal Alagbe Olumide, admitted that he was forced to arraign a murder suspect, Ayodimeji Alegbeleye, for the crime he never committed.

Alegbeleye, 29, was being tried for the murder of one James Igbahan in January 2013 at Ajah.

The police had claimed that the accused stabbed Igbahan with knife in his left ribs which led to his death.

After the two counts were read to him, and he had pleaded not guilty, the prosecution lawyer filed application for his remand in prison custody pending the advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

However, the defence counsel protested the application, saying the accused knew nothing about the crime.

The magistrate, Mrs. M.O Tanimola, thereafter summoned the police to give an account of what had transpired.

In his report to the court, Olumide said he was told to arraign the accused, adding that the investigation had shown that he was only a friend to the real suspect.

He said, "My Lord, it was his friend that stabbed the deceased. The real offender is now at large.

"Alegbeleye was arraigned because we found him at the scene of the crime.

"The junior brother of the suspect had earlier been arrested, but the Ajah Police Division released him."

The magistrate further queried why the defendant was charged when he was not the suspect.

"The police authorities said I should charge him with murder. I told them that my investigation showed he was not part of it, but they insisted that I should charge him, and I didn't know what to do," he submitted.

Olumide said statements taken from the accused showed he had returned from his work and met the two men arguing over matters connected with cultism.

He said he then went out to take his bath and on returning, found the deceased in a pool of blood and with knife wounds.

He said the police arrested him because he was a friend of the suspect.

The magistrate, in her ruling said since the accused was being punished for a crime he did not commit, there were no grounds for remand.

The case was subsequently struck out.

http://www.punchng.com/news/police-arraign-innocent-man-for-murder/
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Henrypraise: 6:25am On Jul 05, 2013
Naija police again!!! At least coporal get fear of God

9 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by sexyboocalher(f): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2013
Yes!!! Though not there yet but wil get there soon....back 2 d matter, nt suprised wen it involves 9ja police

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by brownlord: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2013
.police again, make them no worry, ombatese they come for them, they know how to deal with them

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by bellaberry: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2013
True confession. This is how so many innocent souls rot in jail. smh For NPF.

4 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Temismith(f): 10:04am On Jul 05, 2013
Hmm.....
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by yorke1: 10:04am On Jul 05, 2013
Police menI just hate you!!!!!!!!
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by fitzmayowa: 10:06am On Jul 05, 2013
I tire for naija police ooo...

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Emade(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2013
that is not new i have heard of matters like that before even a police man have once told me that he can kill me and put a gun on my dead body that is wat the police told me so tfhis nigeria olice are really wicked it is only God that can help us.

3 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by crackhaus: 10:09am On Jul 05, 2013
Corporal don loose him job be that oo.. Just imagine, the police that should protect the innocent now knowingly charge them with crimes..and someone tells me to respect the police, I pray o

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 05, 2013
hell has no fury,than a policeman's rage..because of Nigeria police,i fear anything black..set of animal.
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 05, 2013
Nawa o, so if death sentence were to be given, this man would have taken another man's rat poison? Police make una shine eye
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Ugo50: 10:11am On Jul 05, 2013
God thanks 4 this!. Keep it up i beg in the name of jesus. AMEN!

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by sayitout1: 10:13am On Jul 05, 2013
Dis matter shouldn't just end this way. The police should be sued or charged for ;

(i) false accusation

(ii) deformation of character

(iii) providing the court of law with falseful information

(iv) unlawful detention etc

3 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by nekaa(f): 10:19am On Jul 05, 2013
This is just one outta so many others cases of this such... Thank God for the innocent man sha.
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by misterh(m): 10:21am On Jul 05, 2013
This is unacceptable. How many more innocent people are languishing in jail? If this certain policeman had not confessed, the innocent man would just be punished for a sin he did not commit. SMH.
What did the police hope to achieve by arraigning an innocent man? To deceive us they r doing their work? It's even poosible that some people that are paraded on our TV are innocent.

2 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by JackBaueress(f): 10:23am On Jul 05, 2013
Nothing new about it. Do you know how many innocent Nigerians have been killed by the police or paraded as suspects? smh

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Osama10(m): 10:23am On Jul 05, 2013
Everything about this country is just a mess. angry

You can imagine the thousands that have been jailed like this.

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by dridowu: 10:23am On Jul 05, 2013
The Corporal deserve an award. May God favour this Corporal forever.
To the innocent man, Am so happy 4 u.
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by kingthreat(m): 10:27am On Jul 05, 2013
It's stories like this that make me classify any official information by the Nigerian Police as either faslsehood or nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Debbielicious1(f): 10:29am On Jul 05, 2013
Thank God its not a case of "medicine afta death".... D guy shud tank his stars
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Tinkybabe(f): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2013
Nigerian police!smh
Nigerian police=incompetent
To be fair,there are some good ones eg policewoman on nairaland grin
Thank God for the innocent guy

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by kaeto(m): 10:33am On Jul 05, 2013
The truth shall set you free- Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 05, 2013
No be today....

Abi una never hear say 'I no follow' na 20 thaausond ?
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by alowobaba(m): 10:44am On Jul 05, 2013
seven candles as work on d police officer ..
hit like if u understand what I mean..

2 Likes

Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 05, 2013
useless country...its best to just leave that country...most peeps who left did not regret their decision!! other european who did same turned out fine.
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by megareal: 11:22am On Jul 05, 2013
Why am I not surprised? Of course its the Nigerian Police!!!
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by BrightCar: 11:22am On Jul 05, 2013
THE POLICEMAN HAS BEEN BOUGHT OVER. THE POLICEMAN IS NEVER SAYING THE TRUTH. FROM MY PSYCHO ANALYSIS OF THE WHOLE MATTER, THE ACCUSED THE POLICEMAN TURNED TO DEFEND ACTUALLY COMMITTED THE CRIME. ASK THE POLICEMAN HOW MUCH HE HAS COLLECTED?
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by ABsI1: 11:28am On Jul 05, 2013
I can neva wish men and women of d naija police well.
Dats t dey end their days in sorrow,depression and wit endless calamities.
NPF, boko haram will kill u alone hencefort in nigeria;dey wont see anyother pple except POLICE Insha Allah
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by Btruth: 11:42am On Jul 05, 2013
Thank God that this time around, it was the police OWN GOAL..........lol

I wonder what the IGP will say to this now? What a country. God should have mercy,
Re: Police Arraign Innocent Man For Murder by solomon111(m): 11:43am On Jul 05, 2013
AB$I:
I can neva wish men and women of d naija police well.
Dats t dey end their days in sorrow,depression and wit endless calamities.
NPF, boko haram will kill u alone hencefort in nigeria;dey wont see anyother pple except POLICE Insha Allah

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-Rufai Breaks Fast With Islamic Clerics / #EndSARS: The Post That Brought Down Sars / Gombe CAN Extols Pantami, Describes Him As A Son in Congratulatory Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.