Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,295 members, 7,822,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life (72000 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners / Mark Begs China To Release Nigerian Prisoners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by patostation(m): 4:30am On Jul 06, 2013
paranod123: You guys should just stop believing in lies there is no Prison like this in Nigeria No where like this the picture post there is Police cell not prison that place in the picture is Call Panti Police station it the one at Adekunle and that was Cell Two abeg u guys should. Do research before comment goodnight

So what's your point? If ordinary Police cell can be like this, one can only imagine how the "prisons" will be.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by patostation(m): 4:59am On Jul 06, 2013
I was once detained at Area B, Apapa by my Madam employer on frivolous charges. I spent 3 days there and almost died! Apart from police inhumanity, who doesn't know about 'Cell government' where fellow inmates initiate you into reality by subjecting you to some indignities. You have to "toshiba" on your first day, lose your money, lose your food and lose your sleep. Then you could be raped homosexually or otherwise! Then the stench and odor could kill you if you survived other conditions (you'll discover that without taking bath for a few days, humans smell like rotten fish). That's not all. The "toilet" is close by and is always overflowing with shit, some of which will be sipping into the cell. Do you know how many people that contract TB, skin, respiratory and sexually transmitted deseases in police cells? Do you know how many that die?

I wanted to commit murder when I came out of that cell. That was just 3 days o! Sad to say, many Nairalanders are still naive and ignorant about their country and I suggest they travel round. I doubt if they even saw Channels TV espose on Ikeja Police College. If a training school can be like that, you bet...

1 Like

Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by 3ace(m): 5:33am On Jul 06, 2013
Turning my head upside down reveals that one of them is still awake looking at the camera in the first picture. Maybe he couldn't sleep. This is really terrible. Gosh! And to think that they sleep like this for several hours everyday is pitiful. Part of enjoying your sleep is to change position. Little wonder they are strategizing on how to break free from prison as evident in the second picture. Michael Scoffield is addressing them.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by 3ace(m): 5:56am On Jul 06, 2013
pato station: I was once detained at Area B, Apapa by my Madam employer on frivolous charges. I spent 3 days there and almost died! Apart from police inhumanity, who doesn't know about 'Cell government' where fellow inmates initiate you into reality by subjecting you to some indignities. You have to "toshiba" on your first day, lose your money, lose your food and lose your sleep. Then you could be raped homosexually or otherwise! Then the stench and odor could kill you if you survived other conditions (you'll discover that without taking bath for a few days, humans smell like rotten fish). That's not all. The "toilet" is close by and is always overflowing with shit, some of which will be sipping into the cell. Do you know how many people that contract TB, skin, respiratory and sexually transmitted deseases in police cells? Do you know how many that die?

I wanted to commit murder when I came out of that cell. That was just 3 days o! Sad to say, many Nairalanders are still naive and ignorant about their country and I suggest they travel round. I doubt if they even saw Channels TV espose on Ikeja Police College. If a training school can be like that, you bet...
My guy, I feel you o. I also had a similar experience in 2004 when I was arrested as a scapegoat for hanging around in school after the authority had mandated every student to leave due to students unrest. I was taken to More Police station in Ile-ife. I think the state of the prison is better that the one you just painted but this doesn't mean it is habitable for animals let alone humans. The wall, the floor, everywhere was just feeling sticky like a mechanic's workshop. There was no night and day as the window providing illumination and ventilation was just too small for the room. It wasn't too congested maybe because of the population of the area.(the more the people, the more the criminals). It was a terrible experience all the same and I was bailed after two days. I wonder how any sane human will still go back to crime after being subjected to such inhumanity.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by nsabear: 6:09am On Jul 06, 2013
Bode George k,those ones where kept in special house and special treatment given to thm
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Anvaller: 6:19am On Jul 06, 2013
3ace:
My guy, I feel you o. I also had a similar experience in 2004 when I was arrested as a scapegoat for hanging around in school after the authority had mandated every student to leave due to students unrest. I was taken to More Police station in Ile-ife. I think the state of the prison is better that the one you just painted but this doesn't mean it is habitable for animals let alone humans. The wall, the floor, everywhere was just feeling sticky like a mechanic's workshop. There was no night and day as the window providing illumination and ventilation was just too small for the room. It wasn't too congested maybe because of the population of the area.(the more the people, the more the criminals). It was a terrible experience all the same and I was bailed after two days. I wonder how any sane human will still go back to crime after being subjected to such inhumanity.

That in bold makes u look like u actually committed a crime for going there but from ur story u didn't. U should have been more concerned about ppl having to find themselves their somehow without committing any crime.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 06, 2013
WildChild00: Nairaland is becoming something else thisdays, where anybody can just come and fabricate news, pictures, claiming to be real, and people will tend to believe in it.
My dear nothing is fabricated here, my brother has been to one( SARS in AWKUZU) in Anamnbra state 4 years ago, this was exactly wat is happening there, it was so horrible it got a point the cell/prison was extremely filled up u can be seeing hands and legs protruding from the bars, at nite the security men will collect like a few and those piple won't come back again. It was horrible.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 06, 2013
Wow!!!..dis is gross! While in Us ppl intentionally commit crime to go enjoy d luxury of camping in a prison there, naija is nothing to ryt home abt.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Amadioha123(m): 7:00am On Jul 06, 2013
No wonder there is always a jail break in nigeria.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 06, 2013
iykak47: What is the difference between this and hell fire? angry
THAT QUESTION SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO BUHARI TERRORIST
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by HonKontigi: 7:13am On Jul 06, 2013
As a politician I know I will never be in there no matter what.Neither will my family members. We politicians and rich people dont give a damn about conditions in the prisons. That's why oga OBJ who literally moved from prison to Aso Rock did nothing to improve the prisons for 8 years.
We dont send people to prison - blame the judiciary. For now and maybe forever the prisons will remain in their present conditions because we are focused on 2015 and after on 2019, then 2023 and so on.
Hahahahahahah, some of you are talking revolution. Don't deceive yourself we will crush you with all the force at our disposal. Id.iot, bloody lazy ne'er-do-wells - we are fully in control. There's nothing you can do. And we are handing over to our children, who will pass the baton to their children. Just kuku die so that your frustration ends - and pray you go dont go to hell. Know that the big guns in the religious realm are with us so dont waste your time.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by nath01(m): 7:22am On Jul 06, 2013
WildChild00: Second picture look real, but the first is not...
.Pray that you will not be there.it's real,some places are worse than this in nigeria.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by richeyy(m): 7:35am On Jul 06, 2013
This is pathetic! Shame on our the Nigerian Prisons Service
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by otokx(m): 7:42am On Jul 06, 2013
Fascinating Nigeria
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Isiterere(m): 7:43am On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: Nigeria prison is horrible, pls do whatever it takes not to be an inmate, i remeber when i paid visitation to Agodi Prison in Ibadan as member of Red Cross, what i saw is more than horrible, about 700 inmate both male and female but those on trial is klose to 80% , and they have been on trial 4 abt 5yrs.
I could remember the same experience while in school to the same Agodi Prison Ibadan.
It is totally absurd.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Isiterere(m): 7:46am On Jul 06, 2013
WildChild00: Nairaland is becoming something else thisdays, where anybody can just come and fabricate news, pictures, claiming to be real, and people will tend to believe in it.
Let me just assume you're still under-age(18years) you seems not to know your right hand from left hand. I don't think the OP is making things up here. Try and join religious cycle,ngo,community service units and follow them to prison one of this days and see things for yourself. Its an experience you will not wish for your enemy.
Nigeria is a sick country where the life of human is not save.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 06, 2013
Omg! sad no wonder they mostly come out worse than before.
Its sad.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Gbenge77(m): 7:53am On Jul 06, 2013
Horrendous!
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by kunyeo(m): 7:55am On Jul 06, 2013
In Nigeria,you have to boko haram,do militancy before you are heard.When even the people on the outside have not got what is due them ,what is the hope of those behind bars with no one to fight for them.?
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 06, 2013
deserteagl: please verify your story before posting .. No prison in Nigeria looks like this. First of all, they are given uniforms for easy identification and are not allowed to keep personal effects which could easily be used as weapons. True that the facilities are overstretched due to overcrowding and the slow processing of cases by the judicial system but nothing compared to the fake pictures posted here.
Regards

i didn't want to comment till I saw your post.
Listen up mister, I have been there.
The one I got locked up in, wasn't this wide, we were 31guys and 2 girls, we all couldn't sleep at once at night , so we rationed it.

For those who think they're undressed because they don't have clothes, forget it, the Nigerian police only allows you to go in with boxers and singlet.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by ozonaija(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2013
In as much as some of these inmates are guilty the degrading treatments they are subjected to shows how inhumane and insensitive our Government is to the plight of her citizens.Inmates in Guantanamo who have been convicted of treason,terrorism et al still enjoy better living conditions.I tire ooooh
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 06, 2013
3ace:

i was begining to think no nairalander has gone to jail.
I was taken there because of some confused issue.
Choba police station , that same night, 3 kids, probably under 14s were brought in for loitering.
if you ask me, I'll say this prison is bright.
in mine, there was no day, all night.
The walls and floor we're slippery, not even sticky.
You couldn't stand well if you weren't careful.
Feeding was a miracle.
breathing was difficult.
The beating you receive as a new inmate is something for another day.
Those walls are inspiring.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 06, 2013
3ace: Turning my head upside down reveals that one of them is still awake looking at the camera in the first picture. Maybe he couldn't sleep. This is really terrible. Gosh! And to think that they sleep like this for several hours everyday is pitiful. Part of enjoying your sleep is to change position. Little wonder they are strategizing on how to break free from prison as evident in the second picture. Michael Scoffield is addressing them.

trust me,
there's no sleeping in the cell, you only rest.
If you're a heavy sleeper, or you snore, just don't dare!
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by ignis: 8:20am On Jul 06, 2013
Imagine the measure of man's inhumanity to man.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 06, 2013
roccio: [img]http://3.bp..com/-w8UBeABEopk/Uda1HoWzQcI/AAAAAAAADLw/ZI1WLrzSH7A/s1600/p.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-ClwIXIqAWjo/Uda1HwPhYPI/AAAAAAAADL0/BhEcyYMO01I/s1600/p1.gif[/img]

Whilst the prisons should be a correctional facility, where people are rehabilitated while being remanded for their offences, it has somewhat become the opposite in Nigeria. It is like the place where you go to that you may or may not return. People thrown into prisons join the multitude of people, guilty people, innocent people who have found themselves in the spot with little or no help forthcoming

http://www.tundeola.com/2013/07/see-photos-of-how-nigerian-prisoners.html#more

Slave Trade
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by elampiro(m): 8:22am On Jul 06, 2013
Imanuelle:

i didn't want to comment till I saw your post.
Listen up mister, I have been there.
The one I got locked up in, wasn't this wide, we were 31guys and 2 girls, we all couldn't sleep at once at night , so we rationed it.

For those who think they're undressed because they don't have clothes, forget it, the Nigerian police only allows you to go in with boxers and singlet.

The place you went to is a police cell. It is worse for those people who are in real prison cell awaiting trial or awaiting to perfect their bails. The rooms have far more population, it could be up to 70 or more in one room. The convicts have far better conditions.

Family and friends frequent inmates arrested by police but those in prisons are forgotten and people aren't even allowed close to their cells except if you are an aid worker, etc. So it is hard to know what they go through except if you are into NGO or soemthing of such and you are allowed close to the rooms inside the prison.

My concern here is mostly people who are innocent. An innocent man can be charged to court for any reason and he finds himself trying to perfect his bail for some days or week. Even for criminals it is bad to treat humans like this.

Look at this story, if not for God this innocent man would have been dragged to prison until the magistrate grants him bail and he is able to meet the condition:

Police arraign innocent man for murder
http://www.punchng.com/news/police-arraign-innocent-man-for-murder/
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Ibyno(m): 8:24am On Jul 06, 2013
Look more like festac Area E police station, hell in world,
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 06, 2013
elampiro:

You people should try and move around and also go to prison for evangelism. Some cell for awaiting trials inmates are so crowded that they don't get space to lay down. Both pictures are a true representation of the real thing. Some cells are even worse, though some could be a little better.
The state of Nigeria prison is bad but the first look like some where other than a prison. That pic is too clear. ATM cells are too dark for this kind of pix. Moreover they don't sleep like that. Prisoners lay on their back with legs slithly apart while another sleeps in between the legs with the head on the tummy or chest of the person he is sleeping on. He too have his legs apart for the next person.
Those who are doubting the first picture are not wrong.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 06, 2013
addictiv: if Nigeria had a transparent govt...the private sector could easily invest in building standard correctional facilities and leasing them out to govt....this practice is quite common abroad and a good investment if you ask me....but who would trust a govt who owes lecturers 12,500.
Also if we were in an ideal state, govt can come up with a scheme to pay lawyers that take up cases of prisoners and an extra incentive for each case won by the lawyer....now the lawyer who would not want his money tied down, would try his best to prove his clients innocence...this could create opportunities for lawyers and would help decongest the facilities.
then the judiciary could be improved by upgrading to world standard judiciary...
i mean our leaders travel out and see this things abroad,why cant they bring these ideas and systems home?...

We actually tried proposing that first to the Federal Govt, then the Lagos State govt....

The State Govt couldnt "afford" it, because of the "price of Justice in Nigeria, the Federal Govt was more interested in how much graft theyd gain before talks even commenced.

Nigeria, especially in the Federal Arm, is governed by unenlightened barbarians.
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by DankemzI(m): 8:34am On Jul 06, 2013
You know that the american prisons is better than some Nigerian homes! Weeping
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by tontons: 8:36am On Jul 06, 2013
in oda news if we all agree 2 decease frm crime, d prison wil b an empty space n palace 4 d warders. So let @all SAY NO TO CRIME !!
Re: Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life by Nzecorneboy: 8:40am On Jul 06, 2013
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jimi Agbaje Called Akinwunmi Ambode To Congratulate Him Screenshot / ”Lazy Nigerian Youth” T-Shirts And Cap (Photos) / Tinubu Sleeps Off At APC Rally In Kwara State? (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.