Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,113 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft (808 Views)

Al Turki's Phone Theft Is A Lie - Sheikh Yakubu Musa Katsina / Female Army Cadet Tortures A Man For Calling Her "Beautiful" / Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment (2) (3) (4)

OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by olokfor: 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
A 27-year-old man, Sulaimon Jimoh, has been tortured to death by a vigilance group at Ijora Badia, Lagos State.

Metro learnt that the deceased was arrested by some members of the pan-Yoruba group, Oodua People's Congress, for allegedly stealing a BlackBerry phone and an undisclosed amount of money last Sunday.
Mother of the deceased, Afusatu, who claimed to have witnessed the incident, said the OPC men tortured her son for three hours, flogging him with an iron rod and charms.

She said, "That day, my son left the house around 5.30am to say his morning prayers at a nearby mosque. A few minutes later, I received a telephone call from a resident saying my son had been arrested by OPC men.
"I went to Oniyinde OPC base and saw about eight men beating up my son. My son's hands were tied with a rope. I approached them and I pleaded that my son be released.

"The leader said I should provide N70, 000 before he could be released. Because that day was a Sunday, there was no way I could come up with that amount of money. So I continued to plead but he refused.
"I wanted to report the torture at the Ijora Police Station, but I was not sure if policemen would respond on time. I ran back home and I was able to raise N11, 000. I rushed back to the scene around 8.30am."

Afusatu said when she got there, her son was almost unconscious. She said she pleaded with the OPC men to accept the N11, 000, which they did before releasing Sulaiman. She added that he died few minutes after returning home.
She said, "Before he died, my son told me that the OPC used charms to flog him. He told me that he was framed up and denied stealing anything."

Afusatu said her son's murder was one of OPC men's excesses in the area. She urged the police to curb the excesses of the vigilance group members.
She said, "These OPC men are nothing but touts who extort money from innocent residents in the name of fighting crime. They have killed many youths in our area; I never knew they would kill my son one day.

"My son was a driver with a fish trading company. He was an honest man."
Metro learnt that the matter had been reported at Ijora Police Station and that policemen stormed the house where the deceased was tortured by OPC men.

Police sources told our correspondent that many of the culprits ran away but an OPC member, Kola Oladipupo, and an occupant of the building, identified as Olumide, were arrested.
Olumide, who claimed to be an Islamic cleric said, "One of my neighbours was shouting 'thief, thief' on that day. I and other neighbours apprehended the suspect.

"We were told that he stole a BlackBerry phone and some money. After beating him, I called OPC men to arrest him. It was a few days later that police came and arrested me."

Oladipupo said he only beat up the suspect but did not kill him.
He identified the suspects at large as Muyibat's aka Iron Lady, Kayode and Yusuf.
"Iron Lady was the one that gave us instruction to beat him (Sulaimon). She is our leader," he said.

When contacted on the telephone, the spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said the matter had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation department, Yaba, for investigation.
National Publicity Secretary, OPC, Mr. Sola Ajayi, said the suspects were not OPC members.

"I am not aware of this development and those people are not our members because we do not behave in such a manner. We have a database of our members and they all have identity cards. If we get the details of the suspects, we will cross-check it with our data," he said.

SOURCE- www.metronaija.com/opc-tortures-man-to-death-over-phonetheft/
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Hmmm... Criminals fighting criminals... Na wen wahala show face d name of d suspects disapear 4 una database abi?...mtcheew.
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
Why would they flog a boy with charms? A boy that left home for morning prayer ended up dead as a result of framed up criminal case against him. Police should better crush the men that did this kind of thing to a poor boy. When these OPC men bags death sentence amnesty international would start talking crap.

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by astOorR(m): 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
wow, things happen though
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by kelvincoll(m): 12:17am On Jul 06, 2013
and yet some clamour for state police? i dont think Nig is ripe for that now. Poor boy

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 06, 2013
kelvincoll: and yet some clamour for state police? i dont think Nig is ripe for that now. Poor boy
The state police would be trained officers not junkies like the OPC men

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 06, 2013
Fp

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by gbadexy(m): 10:03am On Jul 06, 2013
chidindufrank: The state police would be trained officers not junkies like the OPC men
Abi, don't mind that one.
I wonder why the phone and stolen items weren't found on him, since the report didn't mention him of stealing before that day and possibly hiding it.
The stolen items should have been on his person.

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2013
astO̶̲̥̅̊r®:
wow, things happen though
supposing u got another phone that is not a blackberry, how will u log in again with ur useless method of creating ur usermane? undecided
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by juman(m): 8:07am On Jul 07, 2013
The OPC guys acted beyond their boundary. They should have handover the man to the police.

Their action is condemnable.

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 07, 2013
juman: The OPC guys acted beyond their boundary. They should have handover the man to the police.

Their action is condemnable.
This is abuse of laws. OPC has no right to torture anybody. The govt of lagos state should better tame their actions

Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2013
chiover: This is abuse of laws. OPC has no right to torture anybody. The govt of lagos state should better tame their actions
Yes,government has to take serious action in other to prevent this kind of mess from happening again. I pity the woman alot
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by JackBaueress(f): 2:16pm On Jul 07, 2013
Very tragic story! But what happened to her money afterwards?
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Horus(m): 2:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
gbadexy:
Abi, don't mind that one.
I wonder why the phone and stolen items weren't found on him, since the report didn't mention him of stealing before that day and possibly hiding it.
The stolen items should have been on his person.

Exactly!, there is no evidence that the boy was guilty, but the OPC guys are all guilty of murder
Re: OPC Tortures Man To Death Over Phone Theft by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2013
Jack Baueress: Very tragic story! But what happened to her money afterwards?
Money that has entered voicemail

In Defence Of Senator Yarima! A Must Read. / Young Shall Grow Boss Escapes Assasination / Tonye Princewill Speaks On Jonathan-amaechi Feud by JONAH OKPABI