Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,799 members, 7,813,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment (20000 Views)

PDP To Aregbesola: Stop Creation Of 39 New Councils / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. / INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by mrofficial2(m): 9:03am On May 05, 2013
Some Nigerians bare their minds to GBENGA ADENIJI, MOTUNRAYO ABODERIN, ARUKAINO UMUKORO and Tope OMOGBOLAGUN on the recent 45-year jail term given to 31-year-old Kelvin Ighodalo for stealing a N50,000 phone belonging to Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola

‘Justice is on sabbatical’

My opinion on the sentence handed to Ighodalo is simply that of sarcasm. How can stealing a phone attract that length of imprisonment. Even if he is a thief and fraudster, 45 years jail term is simply illogical. It says a lot about the country we are in. Pension-thieves and rogues are however given the opportunities to return a percentage of their loot. In Nigeria, justice is on sabbatical — Paul Onanuga

‘We have bigger thieves’

This can’t be compared to those who steal from the country’s coffers. They should equally serve the same punishment. He should have been given a maximum of seven years with proper rehabilitation — Steve Jebose

‘It’s not fair’

I don’t think that it is a fair judgment, 45 years’ imprisonment for stealing just a phone worth N50,000? Isn’t that outrageous? How about the real big thieves in government? How many of them were really sentenced to jail? A large percentage of our governors have stolen so much of Nigeria’s money. They should be the ones to be sent to jail. The man who stole the phone should be given a jail term equivalent to his crime. For me, 45 years is not fair! I wish someone who thinks straight could look critically into this unfair judgment — Adeyinka Oni

‘Our legal system is weak’

Injustice is in Nigeria and God is watching. All I can say is that there is injustice in Nigeria, only the poor are treated rigidly. Does it mean there is no other minor punishment that could have been given to him? What I don’t understand is this: Was he punished for the crime or was he punished because of the personality he chose to mess with? It shows that our legal system has become weak and partiality is the order of the day — Bose Omobomi

‘We need divine intervention’

We need divine intervention in this nation. This is the time when men need to ask God to take over and uproot every root of evil in the land and our judicial system. No political party can salvage this nation, not even the planned merger. He is still the same God and if only we can turn to Him in true repentance, we will salvage our land and judicial system — Kunle Akinde

‘Crime is crime’

He didn’t only steal the governor’s phone but also used it for impersonation and fraud. That’s a crime to me — Tosin Ayodele

‘Governor should reconsider’

The punishment is not fair. At least the phone has been retrieved. Why give him 45 years? We should learn to pity others. Though stealing is a crime, the governor should give the judgment some thought. — Jaiyesimi Ibukun

Source: http://www.punchng.com/feature/nigerians-react-to-aregbesola-phone-theft-judgment/
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by baynix(m): 9:32am On May 05, 2013
Thief Na Thief!!

Besides, He Was A Murderer!! I Dnt Knw Hw A Murderer Got Out Frm The Prison N Still Went Ahead To Commit Anada Crime!!

O Ma Pe L'ewon Ju Obo Lo! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by johnwizey: 9:36am On May 05, 2013
E ba mi kigbe ole........
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 11:41am On May 05, 2013
I don't sympathise with a thief in anyway. He should server his punishment. But the vigour with which they used to chase him should also be used to bring our polithiefcians to judgement

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 11:41am On May 05, 2013
45yrs For only phone?? Mtchwwwwwwwwww! Our governors nkor! Please they should change ibori's sentence to 155yrs!

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by delson2k: 11:41am On May 05, 2013
na thief ooo
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by valinda(m): 11:42am On May 05, 2013
who dey thief who for naija
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by NotNairalandi(m): 11:42am On May 05, 2013
Okoooooh
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by ZUBY77(m): 11:43am On May 05, 2013
This thief should be honoured instead of jailing him.
A thief bold enough to steal another thief's (the governor) phone despite all the security aids and guns attached to him should be honoured with GCON or atleast MON.
Seriously someone who admitted to have stolen 23 billion of pension fund was freed on a 250k bail and we jailed a 50k thief for 45 years.

26 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by effisyman: 11:44am On May 05, 2013
The guy hacked the phone...he never stole it.

Abi hacking no different from stealing niii.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by esere826: 11:44am On May 05, 2013
extremely silly judgement
it wld be important to assess all the judgements given by this particular judge
to see if he or she is objective in meting out punishment equally
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dulphines: 11:47am On May 05, 2013
45 years in prison is not enough for that criminal. If u'v been robbed before then u'll understand that these criminals are heartless and kill at will. They are deadlier than the ones you term "big thieves" and should be locked down for life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by martin92(m): 11:48am On May 05, 2013
Imagine. Only 50k fone ?. Wen the person dat stole my android and laptop worth 150k spent only 2months in prison. Does it mean dat the executive nw influences the judgement of the judiciary ?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by bokunrawo(m): 11:49am On May 05, 2013
Politicians wey dey steal billions of naira nko , and manipulate figures with biro , where is Nigeria going

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by obago(m): 11:51am On May 05, 2013
Injustice of the highest order. The convict should appeal.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 11:55am On May 05, 2013
Really, it is illogical to sentence somebody to 45 years in jail for stealing a phone. Hell, those sentenced on a r*ape charge don't even get that much. This country needs to get its judicial system together.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dridowu: 11:57am On May 05, 2013
Justice is for the highest bidder in Nigeria.
What a shameful profession .
I think they are taught how to be corrupt in law school.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by cold(m): 11:58am On May 05, 2013
He had already spent several years in prison previously for being complicit in a murder case.He gets out,steals the Governors phone & swindles two other high profile persons of huge sums of money.45 years may be an overreach but h sure deserves to cool his heels in jail again for a few years.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 11:59am On May 05, 2013
Ibori and Alaimesega should go for 2billion years imprisionment. Wheneva any of them die, d child wil continue until dey conplete dat tenure

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dridowu: 12:02pm On May 05, 2013
dulphines: 45 years in prison is not enough for that criminal. If u'v been robbed before then u'll understand that these criminals are heartless and kill at will. They are deadlier than the ones you term "big thieves" and should be locked down for life.
so u prefer the big thieves to the small thieves, u said d small thiefs kill but have u 4goten dat big thfs kills also (indirectly) by squandering money belong to pensioners, by not fixing infrasture afta coleting d money , etc. #smdh 4 ur thinking#

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by donigspain(m): 12:03pm On May 05, 2013
The criminal is not going to serve a literal 45 years jail term. He will approximately serve 8 - 10 years because all the individual sentences will run CONCURRENTLTY. Abi we no sabi comprehend?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Habiolar(m): 12:06pm On May 05, 2013
1day, bushmeat go catch d hunter. God is watching u on 4D.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by KrisJay(f): 12:08pm On May 05, 2013
It's a pitty.We are in a country whr somebody will steal billions and go away but another will take a pen and get punished.In the actual fact who stole among the two,the Gov tht redirected public fund to himself or the guy tht retreieved wht belongs to us.I only blam the guy for not letting him know he has collected the phone as part of retrieving loot frm the gov.God help us.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by topazjosh(m): 12:08pm On May 05, 2013
belu: Ibori and Alaimesega should go for 2billion years imprisionment. Wheneva any of them die, d child wil continue until dey conplete dat tenure
mehn dis dude is fucking funny LMAO

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 12:10pm On May 05, 2013
Why do you people keep repeating this 45 years fallacy? When they joke thatb black people hate reading you will all be mad and blustering sanctimoniously yet you are all proving it here. Every single article about this event also states that the convicted man will only serve 10 years in prison as the 45 years jail term is an accumulation of the various sentences that will run concurrently. Obvious most only read the title and work themselves into a self-righteous frenzy yet I wonder how so many people can be so united by hideous intellectually laziness? It is a terrible prospect to consider in respect to the manpower that will 'develop' Nigeria. Obvious Nigerians love to wallow in ignorance that leads them to never seeing the complete picture. Probably why we have a crap nation. After all Nigerians are Nigeria.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by goldfish80(m): 12:10pm On May 05, 2013
Really justice is on sabatical
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by bheemz(f): 12:13pm On May 05, 2013
Base on d judgement i think there is more to it
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 05, 2013
The thief needed to step his game up by stealing from his govnor. I guess he must hav anticipated a blackberry porsche... Too bad... As for the jail term, it was influenced by the govnor. He won't like likes of the guy dat was able to infiltrate his tight security n his specially cooked juju roaming the streetz...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Ayorh4you(m): 12:16pm On May 05, 2013
=)) =)) =))º°˚ ˚°º≈ laughingº°˚ ˚°º≈inº°˚ ˚°º≈chineseº°˚ ˚°º≈=)) =)) =))thun gai ya von thuo hooooocry cry cheesy =D =)).....vhun thoi hoa yaaaababa!!! :& :| cheesy =)) =)) =))º°˚ ˚°ºº°˚ ˚°º≈=)) =)) =))
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 12:17pm On May 05, 2013
goldfish80: I hide My face in shame for Aregesola

Hide your face in shame for yourself and your totally disgusting education system that makes many of you leave university barely functional as per the concept of reading, comprehending what is written and making logical conclusions 6 year old are capable of elsewhere.

All of you are fond of coming here to attack others wrongly and vacuously when you are only displaying your own ridiculous scant education. Go and read about this event and come and tell us whether the sentencing judge erred let alone Aregbesola who is not involved in this.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by pendusky(m): 12:18pm On May 05, 2013
ZUBY77: This thief should be honoured instead of jailing him.
A thief bold enough to steal another thief's (the governor) phone despite all the security aids and guns attached to him should be honoured with GCON or atleast MON.
Seriously someone who admitted to have stolen 23 billion of pension fund was freed on a 250k bail and we jailed a 50k thief for 45 years.

What did aregbosola,s wife say about thiis?

u jst said my mind!...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police List 15 Major Electoral Offences Voters Must Avoid / 2019: We Were Shocked On Atiku’s Choice Of Peter Obi – Southeast Governors, PDP / I Will Continue With Jimoh Ibrahim When We Meet Face To Face - Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.