Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation (11961 Views)

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visits Osinbajo (Photos) / Nyesom Wike, The Sleeping Governor By Sahara Reporters (Photos) / Imoke Wins Best Governor Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Chino48: 8:14am On Jul 06, 2013
Anambra State governor, Mr Peter Obi, yesterday bagged the best performing governor on the eradication of polio in the southeast from Bill Gates and Melinda Foundation at a massively attended ceremony at the Women’s Development Centre in Awka.

Speaking while presenting the award to Gov Obi which went with a cash prize of N120 million, the minister of state for health, Dr Mohammed Pate said the award was not by chance as Gov Obi had distinguished himself in the health sector which he observed had resulted in the provision of ambulances to hospitals, accreditation of schools of midwifery and the wonderful partnership with the Church and described the Anambra example as a total package, noting that the state had remained polio-free in the past five years.

Responding, Gov Obi thanked the minister for coming to the state to present the award on behalf of Bill Gates and Melinda Foundation and noted with satisfaction that it was not one of the awards anyone could suspect as having been bought and said the state government would match the N120m it received with another N180m which would be ploughed into the building of ten more health centres in the state.

Recalling some of his strides in the health sector, the governor cited the state’s first teaching hospital as an example.

‘‘What happened was that the government of the day admitted medical students without a medical school in place and the assessors said they would not accredit the university but I pleaded with them when I came in to give me two or three years to put a teaching hospital in place. B+ut they could not believe me as they thought it impossible that a teaching hospital could be built in two, three years. It was one of them that pleaded with them to give me a chance and they did. When they returned at the appointed time they were shocked to see the teaching hospital in place. It has since become the fastest teaching hospital to be built in Nigeria,’ Obi stated to the applause of the packed audience.

In a similar development the governor has splashed N60m on the final batch of 5000 youths under the Anambra State Youth Empowerment Programme (ANSYREP). While handing over the cheques of N100, 000 to each of the successful candidates, Gov Obi charged them to use their money judiciously in order to justify the state government’s faith in them, even as he charged them to shun thuggery in the forth coming elections in the state.

He expressed satisfaction with the fruitful results already being yielded by the programme and restated his government’s readiness to continue to support the youths.

In his speech the coordinator of the programme, Dr Okey Ikechukwu, commended the governor for accepting to support the programme and disclosed that the governor did not submit any list of candidates to them but had told them to ensure the programme worked. He noted with satisfaction that many of the beneficiaries had made a success of the money and training given to them.

The two events were attended by top government functionaries, traditional rulers, student nurses and stake holders.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/obi-bags-best-governor-award-empowers-5000-youths/

7 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Chino48: 8:19am On Jul 06, 2013
Okwute Ndigbo gburu gburu ride on..

1 Like

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Emmy3(m): 9:11am On Jul 06, 2013
Chino48:
The governor has splashed N60m on the final batch of 5000 youths under the Anambra State Youth Empowerment Programme (ANSYREP). While handing over the cheques of N100, 000 to each of the successful candidates.
It should be best governor in Health Sector in the SE..
Again; he spent N60m on 5000 youths, how then will each of them receive #100,000??

1 Like

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Emmy3(m): 9:23am On Jul 06, 2013
Chino48: Anambra State governor, Mr Peter Obi, yesterday bagged the best performing governor on the eradication of polio in the southeast from Bill Gates and Melinda Foundation at a massively attended ceremony at the Women’s Development Centre in Awka. Dr Mohammed Pate said the award was not by chance as Gov Obi had distinguished himself in the health sector which he observed had resulted in the provision of ambulances to hospitals, accreditation of schools of midwifery and the wonderful partnership with the Church and described the Anambra example as a total package, noting that the state had remained polio-free in the past five years.

If this is the base of rating, then is should be Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State.

1 Like

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Emmy3(m): 9:24am On Jul 06, 2013
Chino48: Anambra State governor, Mr Peter Obi, yesterday bagged the best performing governor on the eradication of polio in the southeast from Bill Gates and Melinda Foundation at a massively attended ceremony at the Women’s Development Centre in Awka.

Speaking while presenting the award to Gov Obi which went with a cash prize of N120 million, the minister of state for health, Dr Mohammed Pate said the award was not by chance as Gov Obi had distinguished himself in the health sector which he observed had resulted in the provision of ambulances to hospitals, accreditation of schools of midwifery and the wonderful partnership with the Church and described the Anambra example as a total package, noting that the state had remained polio-free in the past five years.

Responding, Gov Obi thanked the minister for coming to the state to present the award on behalf of Bill Gates and Melinda Foundation and noted with satisfaction that it was not one of the awards anyone could suspect as having been bought and said the state government would match the N120m it received with another N180m which would be ploughed into the building of ten more health centres in the state.

Recalling some of his strides in the health sector, the governor cited the state’s first teaching hospital as an example.

‘‘What happened was that the government of the day admitted medical students without a medical school in place and the assessors said they would not accredit the university but I pleaded with them when I came in to give me two or three years to put a teaching hospital in place. B+ut they could not believe me as they thought it impossible that a teaching hospital could be built in two, three years. It was one of them that pleaded with them to give me a chance and they did. When they returned at the appointed time they were shocked to see the teaching hospital in place. It has since become the fastest teaching hospital to be built in Nigeria,’ Obi stated to the applause of the packed audience.

In a similar development the governor has splashed N60m on the final batch of 5000 youths under the Anambra State Youth Empowerment Programme (ANSYREP). While handing over the cheques of N100, 000 to each of the successful candidates, Gov Obi charged them to use their money judiciously in order to justify the state government’s faith in them, even as he charged them to shun thuggery in the forth coming elections in the state.

He expressed satisfaction with the fruitful results already being yielded by the programme and restated his government’s readiness to continue to support the youths.

In his speech the coordinator of the programme, Dr Okey Ikechukwu, commended the governor for accepting to support the programme and disclosed that the governor did not submit any list of candidates to them but had told them to ensure the programme worked. He noted with satisfaction that many of the beneficiaries had made a success of the money and training given to them.

The two events were attended by top government functionaries, traditional rulers, student nurses and stake holders.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/obi-bags-best-governor-award-empowers-5000-youths/
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by coalcoal1(m): 9:42am On Jul 06, 2013
Ok
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by dridowu: 9:44am On Jul 06, 2013
Eradication of polio ? Then the award shd have been giving to any norther gov cos i guess lot of polio case are found there
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by cupid4ig(m): 9:46am On Jul 06, 2013
Rubbish he probably bought the award, as far as I am concern peter obi hasn't done anything in his 2nd team, all he does is buying landed properties all around anambra state. He has stuffed enough money that's why he is quitting active politics. Smh
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Silensa(m): 9:48am On Jul 06, 2013
just passing by. Am in the first page today. Moving to become the first to comment
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Ifems(m): 9:49am On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: Eradication of polio ? No sir
.......The guy is only a media governor,hes doing noting exactly.Come to Ananmbra and you'll testify

2 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 06, 2013
It's alright. Jah Bless.
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by ChucksIgwe(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2013
Gov p.o has been performing so well but d critics seem not to recognise just because he refused to share money like others.he is well articulated,knows hw to manage his mean resources.

11 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by mike404(m): 9:55am On Jul 06, 2013
RIDE ON OKWUTE IGBO NILE
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by ChucksIgwe(m): 9:56am On Jul 06, 2013
Ifems: .......The guy is only a media governor,hes doing noting exactly.Come to Ananmbra and you'll testify
a big fat lie,I'm not sure u have visited anambra recently.pls come to upper iweka,u won't recognise it.I'm onitsha now.

10 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by 4Play(m): 9:59am On Jul 06, 2013
The headline is deceptive. Anything to get in the news by our media hungry politicians.
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Chino48: 10:00am On Jul 06, 2013
Chucks Igwe: a big fat lie,I'm not sure u have visited anambra recently.pls come to upper iweka,u won't recognise it.I'm onitsha now.

You get energy to waste on such a dull brain..

2 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Brimmie(m): 10:04am On Jul 06, 2013
[size=30] Duhh!! The Only Obi I Knw Is.. Mikel Obi!!

The Best Governor?? Rawji Fashohla or Aregbeshohla!!
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Zonacom(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2013
4 Play: The headline is deceptive. Anything to get in the news by our media hungry politicians.
Was it peter obi that wrote the headline?

2 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Ifems(m): 10:08am On Jul 06, 2013
Chucks Igwe: a big fat lie,I'm not sure u have visited anambra recently.pls come to upper iweka,u won't recognise it.I'm onitsha now.
.......Whats the lie there? guess you're a big fan of Obi....Have you been to Awka,to Awka-north? please answer me...is building bridges dividends of democracy...again you mediocre,why would i clap for someone doing little with whats not hes...Get a life!
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Zonacom(m): 10:08am On Jul 06, 2013
He was awarded a hundred and twenty milla and he decided to build hospitals with it. Aint that commendable

4 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Osogagba(m): 10:10am On Jul 06, 2013
Read properly and understand a passage before you rush to make a rash comment. The report says the governor handed over the cheques TO THE LAST BATCH of the 5000 youths. It's obvious that the programme had been in batches and this was the LAST batch.

Em-my:

It should be best governor in Health Sector in the SE..
Again; he spent N60m on 5000 youths, how then will each of them receive #100,000??

1 Like

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by yetunsbay(m): 10:14am On Jul 06, 2013
Brimmie: [size=30] Duhh!! The Only Obi I Knw Is.. Mikel Obi!!

[/size]
wagbayi
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by edithgeorge: 10:16am On Jul 06, 2013
grin. I dnt kn hw possible it is,,, All I kn is dat peter Obi aka Adaobi is a Thief!!!!!
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by edithgeorge: 10:20am On Jul 06, 2013
yetunsbay: wagbayi
No be only fashola!!!!!! stupid talk, common thief lik him,,, go and see Isheri Oshun Road,,mtchhhhhhh
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Orikinla(m): 10:24am On Jul 06, 2013
Congratulations to him.
He is the most sincere governor in Nigeria.
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Ifems(m): 10:25am On Jul 06, 2013
Chino48:

You get energy to waste on such a dull brain..
...Got nothing to say to fat fools like you,who does'nt know what good governance is...do you read at all?...and please write correctly ok.
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by bory09(m): 10:30am On Jul 06, 2013
edithgeorge: grin. I dnt kn hw possible it is,,, All I kn is dat peter Obi aka Adaobi is a Thief!!!!!
he is a thief now. Sebi he is the one that stole that your common sense and left you with nothing than to come online to post rubbish. I don't know maybe melinda bills group are peter obi cousin that he went and bought award from. They always say a prophet has no popularity in his home but from outside. So leave the man alone and speak your trash to the wall

5 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 06, 2013
what a joke!
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by thoth: 10:35am On Jul 06, 2013
Why wouldn't he be awarded while he was forcing contraceptives on school children, isn't that what Bill and Melinda gates was all about ?
Go to General Hospital in Onitsha, it looks like what you will see in an African war movies, with grasses everywhere and old dilapidated building and equipments. they just tried to repaint it sometime ago but the condition of the infrastructure was so bad that it still shows through. i once heard how many million that was allocated for the painting and it is enough to replace half of the buildings.
As for me that man is a criminal.
Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by slimghost(m): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2013
Ifems: ...Got nothing to say to fat fools like you,who does'nt know what good governance is...do you read at all?...and please write correctly ok.

You are calling someone a fool while posting a senseless post? You are the kid that doesn't know the meaning of good governance so stop embarrassing yourself here. Peter is a good and sincere Governor, even idi.ots know this.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Awarded Best-Governor By The Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation by Longeria(m): 10:39am On Jul 06, 2013
Brimmie: [size=30] Duhh!! The Only Obi I Knw Is.. Mikel Obi!!

[/size]
Bad belle go kill you. Since the award was not given to Fashola and Aregbeshola so it shouldn't even exist abi. I can only say :thunder fire you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Steps To Register For The Voluntary Assets & Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS) / Boko Haram Plans To Attack Media Houses, Warns Sahara Reporters / Police Crack Down On Criminal Gangs In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.