Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? (26993 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Enugu Shoprite....my Dope Swagg Pictures There.. Me And My G's. / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by ujoinme: 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2013
Will like to know what nigerians think of this south african firm thats investing in Nigeria? Is it good for our country or not?
Whats your take?
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by fredopayee(m): 7:41pm On Jul 06, 2013
Ask MTN.

6 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by uboma(m): 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2013
@ op, having Shoprite on the soil of Nigeria is beneficial in so many ways. They provide employment for Nigerians with a considerable good pay, quality goods at a fairly cheap price, avenue for businesses and contribution to Nigeria's GDP. the list is endless bro.

6 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Gbawe: 8:32pm On Jul 06, 2013
ujoinme: Will like to know what nigerians think of this south african firm thats investing in Nigeria? Is it good for our country or not?
Whats your take?

I think having Shoprite in Nigeria is a positive thing overall because (1) they meet retail sector demand of Nigerians that is long overdue and (2) provide jobs for Nigerians plus (3) motivate our indigenous entrepreneurs to step up and match them or be sidelined on their own turf.

In an age where borders are shrinking and issues are becoming more about relevant skill-set and how to apply such effectively, we must welcome whatever inspires and challenges us to operate even better than others in the chase to capture market share.

10 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by kunlekunle: 8:33pm On Jul 06, 2013
we lack integrity and work ethics.
thats why they, the SA business group makes us a laughing stock.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Itoroetti(m): 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2013
uboma: @ op, having Shoprite on the soil of Nigeria is beneficial in so many ways. They provide employment for Nigerians with a considerable good pay, quality goods at a fairly cheap price, avenue for businesses and contribution to Nigeria's GDP. the list is endless bro.

They are killing the economy,killing small scale biz and killing the motivational factor young for small scale entrepreneur.
Interms of employment,how much do u think the pay their staff?
Their goods are mostly over priced.
I don't see any positive gains apart from the fact that its an avenue for our young girls to there and be snapping pictures and uploading them on social medias.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by lauyanAbuja: 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2013
Shoprite must go! Ever since they came around our hOod in Abuja they have killed all the small scale business and prevented the intending business entities from coming to life!!
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nightshift(m): 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2013
Big grocery stores like Shoprite is part of modern lifestyle in developed world. Nigeria is developing and needs such shops. Nigeria's retail businesses survived good old Leventis, UAC and Kingsway stores for decades.

The real danger to Nigerian economy are the copycats in China who are killing our industries with fake and substandard goods. We are opening our doors to the Chinese at our own peril!

3 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by dasparrow: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2013
lauyan Abuja: Shoprite must go! Ever since they came around our hOod in Abuja they have killed all the small scale business and prevented the intending business entities from coming to life!!

If you can come up with a business acumen that will give you a competitive edge over shoprite, trust me, shoprite will move back to their country without anyone reminding them. However until that happens, shoprite am afraid is here to stay.

16 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by uboma(m): 9:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
Itoroetti :

They are killing the economy,killing small scale biz and killing the motivational factor young for small scale entrepreneur.
Interms of employment,how much do u think the pay their staff?
Their goods are mostly over priced.
I don't see any positive gains apart from the fact that its an avenue for our young girls to there and be snapping pictures and uploading them on social medias.

You are ignorant of the benefits derived from having Shoprite on our soil. How are they killing the economy when so many small scale biz men go there to shop for their goods which they later re-sell at a good profit. i personally know someone who patronizes them (shoprite), buys spirits and wine at cheaper rates and sell at higher prices in his bar at Lagos.

their prices are very cheap. i usually shop at Shoprite and Sahad Stores on a monthly basis so i can tell u that products and services are very affordable at Shoprite. Visit the nearest branch at your location and experience it first hand. A common plastic bottle of Coke is just N88.00. where else will u get it this cheap and even chilled to quench your thirst on a sunny day?

I have a friend who works in one of their branches. he earns over a hundred thousand Naira monthly plus other benefits as a brand manager. still better than what most indigenous companies will pay. So when next you see their advert for vacancy, pls apply if you are not already gainfully employed.

So please, learn to appreciate good things when you see one. mind u, i do not work for them but i enjoy shopping there because their prices are even cheaper than what is obtainable in the ordinary market and they sell quality stuff.

24 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Ufeolorun(m): 3:48am On Jul 07, 2013
Obviously they provide jobs and convenience for people however, most chain retailers like Shoprite have a cost based strategy .This aggressive low cost trajectory force them to do things like packaging substandard products and selling them off with fanfare, paying low wages to barely trained workers just to keep a good margin.
So when you pick things up there,read the labels and always ask question so you get ACTUAL value for your money not just convenience and remember we do not have a strong food and consumer regulatory framework like in more functional environment hence the tendency to cut corners is even greater.

Killing small business within the Nigerian context may not be entirely possible considering:

People with low purchasing power won't go near Shoprite and may just form part of the pilgrims whose footfalls do not translate to economic benefits

People fascinated by the idea of shopping in a massive supermarket would retrace their steps when the fascination wears down and they realize the out of pocket effect

People who are seriously concious of what they eat and are aware of the antics of big retailers

These groups would still require the service of other sellers.

4 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by tpia5: 3:55am On Jul 07, 2013
@ topic

perhaps, given the increasing image of nigeria as a destination of choice for emigrants.

but, what happens to the regular market traders, is the market big enough for both? I assume it is.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by mensdept: 4:43am On Jul 07, 2013
kunlekunle: we lack integrity and work ethics.
thats why they, the SA business group makes us a laughing stock.

Thats the truth. Short and simple.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by abu12: 8:53am On Jul 07, 2013
dasparrow:

If you can come up with a business acumen that will give you a competitive edge over shoprite, trust me, shoprite will move back to their country without anyone reminding them. However until that happens, shoprite am afraid is here to stay.

Just like the ones under construction in kano by their indigens.
https://www.nairaland.com/1348734/massive-shopping-mall-under-construction-kano/3#16664108

BTW I believe there is no way it won't affect those trader who has supper market. By the time most people knows that their price is cheap and also has quality good compare the ones they buy from those Suppermarket people will prefer to go their
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Afroconnect: 10:54am On Jul 07, 2013
Shoprite is filling our stomachs with Genetically modified foods-our gullible dumb government officials are too busy stealing money to bother about the health of Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:57am On Jul 07, 2013
fredopayee: Ask MTN.
God bless you with this reply.
Last Bullet:
I don't know why such a question should be asked when it's clear that Shoprite in Nigeria is a good thing.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 07, 2013
Which kain question be dat because its a SA copmpany abi
OP u no get work
That retail shop is more than useful.
What bad can it do to Nigeria
OP u must have something in mind reveal it nw sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by ITbomb(m): 11:03am On Jul 07, 2013
A brand new avenue to encourage dumping of goods in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by rodeo0070(m): 11:03am On Jul 07, 2013
I guess everything has its good and its bad side. But me thinks, its good for Niger-Area...

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2013
It's one of d best thing 2 happen 2 nig. Keep up d gud work shoprite & 4 those against, open urs & compete!
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by cold(m): 11:05am On Jul 07, 2013
You can simply boycott shoprite & patronise the indigenous shopping outlets. Nigerians have a penchant for patronising anything foreign & this is the raison d'etre most of these companies are flourishing.make a concious effort today to stick to the indigenous products where possible

2 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by OmniSparrow: 11:06am On Jul 07, 2013
Ask me ballz
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by simdam500(m): 11:07am On Jul 07, 2013
I tink more should actually be created
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by toprealman: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2013
Tesco, aldi, ikea, Morrison, asda, sainsbury etc all in one country and they are not complaining. Why should you make noise over shoprite....the 'only' one we have?

6 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 07, 2013
When is Shoprite coming 2 CALABAR sef?

@op. Nothing stops our indigenous Moneybags 4rm opening such retail outlets n adding value to our lives n society.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Haslad(m): 11:13am On Jul 07, 2013
For having Shoprite in nigeria is a good idea, to the similar mall in abroad and for job avenue for the citizen.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by mkoabiola: 11:19am On Jul 07, 2013
If u ar direct beneficial of shoprite ,u will lov it.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by alphaconde(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2013
@ op would you have preferred all those mallams kiosk for your shopping?
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 07, 2013
You are asking me if Shoprite is beneficial to Nigerians?
Please can you establish more Shoprite branches in every state in Nigeria? Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Ashabie(f): 11:24am On Jul 07, 2013
You can only condemn shoprite if you have not move out of the country,we all cannot queue up in chemist shop to get what we want.shop direct,park and shop,grocery bazaar etc are using the initiative.They have really done a great job.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Kx: 11:24am On Jul 07, 2013
Let's stop dis free advert for shoprite.
Just a little research will prove dat shoprite is not as cheap as we all assumed.
My example is funny but it is absolutely true.
Infants blue packaged crackers biscuit is N10 aboki price; same is sold for N15 in shoprite.
If it is so for a mere N10 item, imagine how it could be for significant and more costly goods.

4 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by trolling(m): 11:29am On Jul 07, 2013
It's bad because they sell Gmo foods which eventually will... Go figure

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osemwegies And Okeys Own A Mobile Entertainment Business In Canada / 3 Popular Profitable Online Businesses You Can Start In 2019 / Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.