Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? (27018 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Enugu Shoprite....my Dope Swagg Pictures There.. Me And My G's. / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 07, 2013
I know this is the kind of backward shopping many opt for here. It is sad Nigerians only think of their own forgetting the dirty conditions surrounding the open markets and petty limited shops in Nigeria.

For those who support this kind of market in the image below are allergic to progress

3 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 11:30am On Jul 07, 2013
lauyan Abuja: Shoprite must go! Ever since they came around our hOod in Abuja they have killed all the small scale business and prevented the intending business entities from coming to life!!

Your opinion about shoprite in abuja is prejudiced or ,at best,subjective. It is not provable that the existence of shoprite in Abuja or elsewhere in Nigeria is inimical to emergence or growth of small scall biz.
In as much as I am against foreign invasion of our indigenious market,it is only factual that ,if shoprite fufill that tax obligations, her existence is more of plus than negative.

Shoprite in abuja is remotely too located to have been a potential threat to the existence of the retail markets in Wuse and Garki who are closer to consumers.

I was in Shoprite few days back and I bought a plastic coca-cola product for N84.99k. That was the lowest ever. I can't phantom the reason behind this. I guess is work ethics as someone commented earlier.

My kids schools' snacks are cheaper 20km away from my home than at my neighbourhood mart. South-africa will not smell in their feaces ,so I don't give a damn.

On the same day, I bought electonics at LG outlet in Shoprite and it was even cheaper than what is obtainable from LG's other showroom outside the premises. This bewilders too!

Interestingly, I am even prepared to pay more in shoprite if need be. Check out the ambience!
Architects,infact most people, like cozy and serene atmosphere to transact.
What of the covenience- I get most of all I need at a glance. That has its own price too comparatively. I guess it is not afterall about the price alone. Packaging matters.

Summarily, the ineptitude in our National lives,someone-else-will-do-it syndrome,lack of ingenuity, make-it-fast attitude and lack of strict biz ethics are some of our short-falls. We are all in these together!

Our loss,their gains! Painfully though.

4 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by a1solution: 11:36am On Jul 07, 2013
I will open a similar or better business like shoprite across Nigeria soon to know if Nigerians will welcome their own.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 07, 2013
Itoroetti :

They are killing the economy,killing small scale biz and killing the motivational factor young for small scale entrepreneur.
Interms of employment,how much do u think the pay their staff?
Their goods are mostly over priced.
I don't see any positive gains apart from the fact that its an avenue for our young girls to there and be snapping pictures and uploading them on social medias.

The reason why their goods are overpriced could be as a result of the Nigerian factor. I believe they hire a Nigerian purchasing manager and knowing most lack integrity and could easily inflate the price they bought the goods, of course it would be more expensive.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by abujalapdog(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2013
Most of this people will be talkng nonsense but later they will want to go to Dubai an London to do shopping... I wonder what common sense they put to work in judging thier baise shallow knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nuvally: 11:41am On Jul 07, 2013
Shoprite is obbviously here to stay..It creates employment(which is one major problem Nigeria has)..Shoprite employs more 9% of umemployed youths nationwide...I need not to remind u that they sell things @ a cheap rate also.

Above not withstanding,someone can also say that they weaken the zeal of small scale traders..but let me quickly remind you That America is one of the most influencial nation in the world,all thanks to their capitalist economy..Capitalism gives rise to competition..And we all know that Competition gives rise to upgrade..Both in work and ideas.

Therefore,I support the idea..All thanks to the Governors that allowed the Mall in their state.

We have one here in Enugu!
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 11:43am On Jul 07, 2013
Itoroetti :

They are killing the economy,killing small scale biz and killing the motivational factor young for small scale entrepreneur.
I don't see any positive gains apart from the fact that its an avenue for our young girls to there and be snapping pictures and uploading them on social medias.

u can't see it cos u are blind and concern abt girls pix
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by abujalapdog(m): 11:43am On Jul 07, 2013
Itoroetti :

If you have any idea about business most of you would knw thay running cost for business in Nigeria is relatively higher to any other African country because of the Power problem we have . Do u knw how much Diesel those generators consume dialy to keep that place functioning?
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 11:45am On Jul 07, 2013
a1solution: I will open a similar or better business like shoprite across Nigeria soon to know if Nigerians will welcome their own.

I wish you success but I hope u won't be packaging a baby crawling for us when the world is drifting towards cat-walking. What is worth doing at all is worth doing good.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PStacks(m): 11:45am On Jul 07, 2013
I wish they can even privatise the whole of Nigeria sef. Let shoprite take over the country. What do you mean because its south African.
Business is comparative advantage and guided by principles of demand and supply, cost minimisation and profit maximisation.

If a pakiatani can offer me what an american can offer me, d same quality, d same quantity but cheaper, I would buy from d pakistani in as much as I'm America's number one fan.

If any Nigeria company can do better than Shoprite.. Let them take the challenge. Glo took the challenge to be a Nigerian Brand to MTN that's South African.

Nigeria is backward and u're still wanting to make it worse. What says Nigerian's product shouldn't flood international Markets like we have "Made in China", what says Nigerians should have stuffz like Shop rite at home and extend abroad.

People in Tanzania, if Dangote cement is cheaper than their Local cement, would they say because its a Nigerian cement they won't use it.

When it comes to making rational economic decisions.. If my mother is selling a loaf of bread for #50 and my enemie that I know can even poison me is selling that same loaf of bread for #49.50. If I think what that 50kobo would do to my life.. My guy! Na that my enemy own I go buy oo. Just hope d message is passed.

Its not about South African or Somalia or Kuwait. Its about Quality and Quantity of goods and services produced and at what cost. Market forces don't recognise nigerians or South africans.

I wish they could sell Nigeria to South Africa sef.

4 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by warlei(m): 11:48am On Jul 07, 2013
a1solution: I will open a similar or better business like shoprite across Nigeria soon to know if Nigerians will welcome their own.
You can contact me if i can be in charge of workforce recruitment. i beleive in your dream.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2013
uboma: @ op, having Shoprite on the soil of Nigeria is beneficial in so many ways. They provide employment for Nigerians with a considerable good pay, quality goods at a fairly cheap price, avenue for businesses and contribution to Nigeria's GDP. the list is endless bro.
Quality goods, well, some not all
provide employment? Shoprite has less than 3000 employees in Nigeria where we have more than 3 million unemployed people ....I.e. less than 0.1%
contribution to GDP, not significant since it will fall below 0.5%
Having shoprite on Nigerian soil is more disadvantageous than its advantage
QED

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 11:54am On Jul 07, 2013
mens dept:

Thats the truth. Short and simple.
how is it the truth? Dumb ppl sit in their house and just type rubbish. FYI countries allow each other to invest in their countries, so if that amounts to laughing stock, because we allow them to invest, Then I don't know what to even call u sef
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 11:57am On Jul 07, 2013
abu12:

Just like the ones under construction in kano by their indigens.
https://www.nairaland.com/1348734/massive-shopping-mall-under-construction-kano/3#16664108

BTW I believe there is no way it won't affect those trader who has supper market. By the time most people knows that their price is cheap and also has quality good compare the ones they buy from those Suppermarket people will prefer to go their
then it is left for them to re strategize. From ur point u see it is beneficial to consumers
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 07, 2013
Yes!!

2 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 07, 2013
ujoinme: Will like to know what nigerians think of this south african firm thats investing in Nigeria? Is it good for our country or not?
Whats your take?

POSITIVES
1) Provision of jobs thereby reducing unemployment
2) Provision of tourist centres
3) They pay tax to the govt
4) Provision of much needed goods all in one spot thereby reducing cost of shopping.
5) Their products are cheap
6) They act as a catalyst to our entrepreneurs thereby encouraging them to become better entrepreneurs.

NEGATIVES
1) They create unemployment by killing small businesses. This is the same reason small towns in America clamour against the presence of retail giants like Walmart.
2) They encourage poverty by tempting people to buy impetuously.
3) They break up relationships by causing our ladies to make excessive demands on our young men.

MY TAKE
Every capitalist country in the world clamours for direct foreign investment, and since Nigeria is a capitalist state then I think the presence of Shoprite should be supported. The positives of having shoprite in Nigeria outweighs the negatives.

3 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 07, 2013
lekkie073:
provide employment? Shoprite has less than 3000 employees in Nigeria where we have more than 3 million unemployed people ....I.e. less than 0.1%
QED
its because Nigeria is overpopulated. Let's start practising family planning. Our problem will be reduced.

2 Likes

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2013
Kx: Let's stop dis free advert for shoprite.
Just a little research will prove dat shoprite is not as cheap as we all assumed.
My example is funny but it is absolutely true.
Infants blue packaged crackers biscuit is N10 aboki price; same is sold for N15 in shoprite.
If it is so for a mere N10 item, imagine how it could be for significant and more costly goods.
them no force u to buy
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 12:04pm On Jul 07, 2013
nadia_SA: Yes!!
As expected.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 12:05pm On Jul 07, 2013
nadia_SA: Yes!!
Humour me, pls what is the Nigerian version of Shoprite there in SA?
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by mu2sa2: 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
They came to nigeria initially to market south African goods but hav to stock made-in-nigeria products as well now. Infact there are some quality local products that you dont see outside readily. So both shoprite and local manufacturers hav gained. Smaller shops are struggling to compete but they dont hav to close shop if they strtegise.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2013
P.Stacks:
I wish they can even privatise the whole of Nigeria sef. Let shoprite take over the country. What do you mean because its south African.
Business is comparative advantage and guided by principles of demand and supply, cost minimisation and profit maximisation.

If a pakiatani can offer me what an american can offer me, d same quality, d same quantity but cheaper, I would buy from d pakistani in as much as I'm America's number one fan.

If any Nigeria company can do better than Shoprite.. Let them take the challenge. Glo took the challenge to be a Nigerian Brand to MTN that's South African.

Nigeria is backward and u're still wanting to make it worse. What says Nigerian's product shouldn't flood international Markets like we have "Made in China", what says Nigerians should have stuffz like Shop rite at home and extend abroad.

People in Tanzania, if Dangote cement is cheaper than their Local cement, would they say because its a Nigerian cement they won't use it.

When it comes to making rational economic decisions.. If my mother is selling a loaf of bread for #50 and my enemie that I know can even poison me is selling that same loaf of bread for #49.50. If I think what that 50kobo would do to my life.. My guy! Na that my enemy own I go buy oo. Just hope d message is passed.

Its not about South African or Somalia or Kuwait. Its about Quality and Quantity of goods and services produced and at what cost. Market forces don't recognise nigerians or South africans.

guy u are so on point

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by orgasticdance: 12:14pm On Jul 07, 2013
Why don't we have a nigerian equivalent of shoprite or dstv? The SA companies are beating us on our home turf...giant of africa my foot
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by loswhite(m): 12:14pm On Jul 07, 2013
lekkie073:
QED
what kind of analysis is the one? Do u knw what 3000 employees are ? Well creat ur own employ just 20 den u can come back and talk

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 12:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
PEN_MIGHT:
Humour me, pls what is the Nigerian version of Shoprite there in SA?
drugright grin
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Manlado: 12:16pm On Jul 07, 2013
What's the big deal?
If you think it's not alright create yours.
A market is a market.
Create yours, period. Competition is welcome.

1 Like

Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 12:16pm On Jul 07, 2013
loswhite: what kind of analysis is the one? Do u knw what 3000 employees are ? Well creat ur own employ just 20 den u can come back and talk
I already employed 21 shocked
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 12:18pm On Jul 07, 2013
loswhite: them no force u to buy
Mc'Vites biscuit(kid's verson) is rare in my neighbourhood and ,when available, its sold for 3 for N50 by De Joe. In shoprite, it is sold N15 each, with branded packaging bags and an environment that makes you forget your worries momentarily.

U think u are spending less but by the time u get to POS things, u will ve to ransack ur car's compartment to balance off.

Successful people don't do different things separately, they do separate things diffently"---- My account friend in the mosque used to saying that a lot!
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by diordaves(m): 12:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
Is Shoprite good for Nigeria ? Or better put; Is Mega Supermarket good for the economy? The answer is probably yes but there is cause for concern going forward. What Concern if it is good?

To take position in this debate it is always better to use simplifying assumptions; so lets use Lagos the Nation's commercial capital. Mega Supermarket concerns like Shoprite are huge potentials for destroying livelihoods and jobs. Lets use the assumptions....A branch of Shoprite on average may employ directly about 30 staff and create about 100 employment opportunities. Is that a bad thing? Well.........

Egbeda Market in Lagos State boast about over 5000 stores and shades and if you factor in surrounding stores; we should be looking well into over 20 thousand stores and if each store is manned on average by 2 shopkeepers; we are talking about over 40 thousand direct jobs and well over 80 thousand employment opportunities. Simplifying assumptions.

Now if you locate a Mega Supermarket like Shoprite in Egbeda and if that supermarket is managed efficiently and ruthlessly as they normally are you can be sure that all that jobs and livelihoods created by Egbeda Market may be destroyed. How? Its obvious isn't it. Now which is good for the economy; Shoprite with a 100 jobs and livelihood or Egbeda Market with well into a hundred thousands employment opportunities.

In a country like Nigeria where the regulatory bodies are weak; dis-articulated and in most cases lack managerial and organisational gumption; Mega Supermarketsw are always cause for concern. So do we tell the likes of Shoprite to pack up and go? Hell no!!! The regulatory bodies need to step up and find creative blend to accommodate the mega-stores and the small business owners to forestall any destructive and predatory pricing.
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by PENMIGHT(m): 12:22pm On Jul 07, 2013
Kx: Let's stop dis free advert for shoprite.
Just a little research will prove dat shoprite is not as cheap as we all assumed.
My example is funny but it is absolutely true.
Infants blue packaged crackers biscuit is N10 aboki price; same is sold for N15 in shoprite.
If it is so for a mere N10 item, imagine how it could be for significant and more costly goods.
Mc'Vites biscuit(kid's verson) is rare in my neighbourhood and ,when available, its sold for 3 for N50 by De Joe. In shoprite, it is sold N15 each, with branded packaging bags and an environment that makes you forget your worries momentarily.

U think u are spending less but by the time u get to POS things, u will ve to ransack ur car's compartment to balance off.

Successful people don't do different things separately, they do separate things diffently"---- My accountant friend used to saying that a lot!
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2013
P.Stacks:

tfu
Re: Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 07, 2013
orgasticdance: Why don't we have a nigerian equivalent of shoprite or dstv? The SA companies are beating us on our home turf...giant of africa my foot
forget about the 'why don't we'.
Y'll need to stop that attitude of 'why don't we?' Start with yourself mate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Femi Otedola Remembers Late Father After 5 Years - Shares Picture / Can A Customer Sue Bank For Undeposited Money Lost During Bank Robbery? / Naira Hits N1,825 To Dollar Despite EFCC Gun Rescue Attempt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.