Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (442614 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 22, 2021
Hello house, Please does anyone have any idea of what it is like to live in stuttgart
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Vicrown(m): 11:55am On Mar 29, 2021
DAAD EPOS Scholarship for Masters & PhD
As a DAAD alumnus, I can attest that this is one of the best scholarships out there with extremely generous packages.
20+ Masters & 4 PhD Scholarships
- Tuition-free
- Living stipend, €861 for masters, €1,200 for PhD
- Health & Liability Insurance
- Family Support
- Travel Expenses
- Research Grant
Watch video explaining application process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8ZOcU3BkQ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by amikable97: 12:59pm On Apr 11, 2021
Please is there anyone here in Kassel or (Witzenhausen) I need info about how to get accommodation easily for a semester. I am coming for Erasmus at the beginning of the winter semester. Please if you have useful information I will appreciate the help

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by amikable97: 1:07pm On Apr 11, 2021
Raesrimud:
Ģod bless everyone of you even
when you stop doing this it not
easy

my questions are
1) i have about 8 million naira i
want to read computer science
in germany will i get admission
easily

2) if i learn german will it
improve my chances of
admission

3) i dont plan to combak to
nigeria infact am goin to
become a german citizen what
are my chances of success?

i have a very good waec result,
first school leaving cert provide
the funds for the block accnt
present a cert for proficiency in
german will all that surely
fetch me the admission? thanks
for yur anticipated response

in addition please i want to
know the list of tuition free
schools that offer computer
science i can choose from
thanks
Have you been following the study visa tread?? If you have, you will be aware that the consulate is now focused on giving appointment dates to those who are going for PhD with funding and priority masters applicants with first class as at 2019/2020 (if I am not mistaken) with scholarship as well.
I do not want to dampen your mood by telling you to include other countries in your list to broaden your chances, but the reality is that, you just have to do so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Canih28: 10:37am On Apr 13, 2021
Pls how can i apply for Masters in Computer Science in Germany
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by pseudonomer: 3:06pm On Apr 13, 2021
Sylvyangel:
Hello house,
Please does anyone have any idea of what it is like to live in stuttgart

Stuttgart is really nice, I had my internship there and I have a very nice friend(female) there... if you want to connect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mhiztarromeo(m): 12:01am On Apr 14, 2021
Goztino:
Very important information about health insurance

I would like to use this opportunity to point out a very important thing you need to understand if you want to stay in Germany.
In Germany, there are two health insurance companies.
1. Private (Mawista, Care concept etc)
2. Public (TK, AOK etc)

1. Private health insurance: Very cheap initially but it's a big trap especially if you want to stay in Germany because the price increases when you get older until it gets to a point when it will be a big burden for you and changing back to public health insurance will be very hard if not impossible.
Also, some companies don't accept it for full-time employment and depending on the selected option, you might not be cover fully. If you are always sick or have health issue, please STAY AWAY from private health insurance as a student
2. Public health insurance: More than twice the rate of private insurance initially but becomes cheaper with time when you get older, it also covers everything and acceptable by all companies.

My experience that made me bring out my time to write all these.
I came to Germany and started using private health insurance because it was very cheap and I actually saved money using it because I was paying only 30 euro per month instead of 105 euros my classmates are paying using TK.

Everything was going well until this year, I was converted from Addeco to full-time Amazon staff and they told me that because it's full time job, I must present a public health insurance otherwise the contract won't be possible.
Then I researched fully about health insurance and discovered that private insurance is actually not a good decision for those that want to base in Germany.
Please research about it and get informed.
I also heard that once you change from public to private, you can't change back to public again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Phineas01(m): 10:20am On Apr 15, 2021
Hello All, did anyone here apply for a passport renewal from the month of Dec - Jan at the Nigerian embassy in Berlin? If yes, have you been able to get the passport or any info from the embassy?

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by DarryOsh(m): 11:15am On Apr 23, 2021
Phineas01:
Hello All, did anyone here apply for a passport renewal from the month of Dec - Jan at the Nigerian embassy in Berlin? If yes, have you been able to get the passport or any info from the embassy?

Thanks

There is a delay is passport issuance/renewal in Nigeria due to lack of passport booklets. I'm guessing the same issue is affecting issuance/renewal abroad.

There has been diagreements between the government and the company that prints our booklets. ( Our booklets are printed by a Malaysian company). Accusations of breach of contract and all that. There is a huge backlog of requests from January. Hopefully they sort their issues soon cos lots of people are stranded.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Riri78: 7:21am On May 01, 2021
Hello,
Please has anyone travelled to Germany from Nigeria recently? I want to know about border control over there and how long it takes to get cleared in the airport.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by OdogwuEkeke(m): 8:51pm On May 01, 2021
Victor Moses from Ruhr University Bocum, Germany

You can send him a message on Linkedin

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6792065236145889280/

Riri78:
Hello,
Please has anyone travelled to Germany from Nigeria recently? I want to know about border control over there and how long it takes to get cleared in the airport.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by val15: 8:09pm On May 02, 2021
Following
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by val15: 8:33pm On May 02, 2021
Ask someone that stays in
Germany on how to apply for master degree program He said that each university you applied attracts 75 euro application fees.
Pls for people that have applied or studying in germany.how true is the information
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by val15: 6:37pm On May 03, 2021
Riri78:
Hello,
Are you going there to study
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Geo4646: 3:57pm On May 13, 2021
[/quote][quote]I studied in Germany. Started from undergraduate school. I speak fluent German and know much about school and work in Germany. If you have any questions, be it about English or Deutsch in Germany, l would be glad to answer.

For a starter, University education is free.

Hello,

pls kindly share insight about admission processes etc, so that others can benefit as well.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 9:14pm On May 14, 2021
Köln ❤️.
I just took the pictures now

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Firerising(m): 11:44pm On May 14, 2021
I studied in Germany. Started from undergraduate school. I speak fluent German and know much about school and work in Germany. If you have any questions, be it about English or Deutsch in Germany, l would be glad to answer.

For a starter, University education is free.
Please I need more guidelines on applying for visa in Germany

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by samzy66: 9:52pm On May 19, 2021
I am a student in ploansd .I really need to come to Germany for summer jobs

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 7:54am On May 20, 2021
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by OdogwuEkeke(m): 12:55am On May 23, 2021
Tony you sef don land here grin

TonyyS:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 9:42am On May 30, 2021
OdogwuEkeke:
Tony you sef don land here grin

Haha we all seek info

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 30, 2021
promise2:

Hey Bro i will come back to you on how you made this money in Germany that runs to millions of Naira, to be frank with you i spent 3 years and half in Germany as a master student in Berlin 2016 to 2019, i worked my freaking ash off, combining work and school in Germany is not easy. well i cant say Germany is not a good country per say but they are not friendly people whether in suburbs side or big cities. i got tired of ich bin this ich bin that and besides after my study how many percentage of international student get jobs, few of them most start all over doing 2nd master i calculated all of these i took off. I am happy today i did, i can understand what they speak where i am, i see happy people around me infarct I am so happy.so i guess you are one of the lucky ones in Deutschland .

Sincerely I am also interested in how he made millions while being a student, also with the fact that he must be learning to perfect his Deutsch at the same time. He also has to prepare for exams as German schools are not that easy. I really don't know how people combine *intense* work & school, one of them must suffer (either school or work) & you would still end up coming out with bad grades. So at the end, you never learnt anything because you were working all through, trying to earn millions.

Honestly I am open to learning from anyone who is willing to give me a break down on how this actually works.

20 - 25 hours per week seems fine, but for you to earn millions, It means he has been working 100 hours per week. So HOW?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 30, 2021
promise2:
I am in the USA, I Studied International Business Masters. So i got a conference in International Business in one of the Universities in the USA in 2018 and i travelled for the conference and came back to Germo mean while you may be given 2 years visa when you apply for conference so that is how i left, i am not studying here i am tired of studies. I wanna make money. COVID has changed alot but after the covid i believe things will be better so if you must apply for a conference get one that relate to your field of study paid or unpaid, package yourself well. Be so confidence on your interview day, when answering questions from visa Officer look directly to his or her eyes ( make eyes contact) you must know or research more on the conference to defend yourself, relate the conference to one of your course if the visa Officer ask may be. Make sure you are either in your 2nd or 3rd semester so that they will not bounce you.

- How do you feel now being in the US, has life been easier?
- Are you more happier in general?

- How would you compare the ease of life to Germany and how are you are able to adapt in quick time?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 30, 2021
Badmuskennis007:
You don't know anything about tech at all ,for you to say Frontend role is not a real IT, every technology built today has interface and it's built by Frontend Dev and you are even comparing certificate with skills in tech ,I have a lot of my friend that grad has a computer science student can't build what I can build and am not computer science student , go and check Google and Facebook job portals ,they ask for masters degree and still require someone that have good experience that don't have masters.

Usually anytime I see someone talking about Frontend roles not being real IT, I see this as an egoistic mindset. Clement Mihailescu CEO of AlgoExpert had a very long video on how Frontend can be very hard, depending on the context, especially when It comes to UI Testing, Automation and Simulating User Experience and how they use your product.

Anyone who makes such statement also means they have little experience in programming in general, they are the ones that throw around buzz words in non IT environment so people can hail them.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by AaronWeb: 10:48pm On May 30, 2021
Rickywowoz:

5)Can i be admitted with my olevel into bsc program?

No.

Hello Rickywowoz
I just started making enquires about studying in Germany three days ago so my question may sound silly.
If you can't be admitted using an O'level result, then what result(s) do they use?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Tobichuks08: 5:29am On Jun 07, 2021
Jonsnow123:
P
can you tell me the agent you used to secure your Poland Visa please i beg of you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by OdogwuEkeke(m): 10:07am On Jun 13, 2021
HOW TO SAVE MONEY IN GERMANY

1. ALWAYS calculate your money. Always know how much you have, how much you’re spending and how much you have left. Don’t just spend money anyhow without keeping record. In Germany you make money but you lose it as quickly as you make it. This will help you manage your spending, especially if you have expensive friends.

2. Get a job. I know it sounds like a sermon but you’d be surprised how lazy people become when they arrive Germany. The society has a way of distracting you. All of the beauty, freedom, good life and everything you’re not used to. When you’re new, you want to experience everything at once. At some point you get carried away and become lazy. So yeah, get a job.

3. It is okay to skip school to work. Studying is good and so is finishing your studies on time, but if you’re broke it is hard to concentrate. Sometimes you can do less school activities and work. Big companies like Amazon, Volkswagen, DHL etc, always have openings when they employ students on short term contracts. Usually for 3 months. They also pay you well. You can earn up to €2000 a month.

4. Travel out of your city and work. Yes, students do it. Some students go to Stuttgart to work, some Munich, Frankfurt and other big cities. Don’t sit down in that small city and be washing plate in the kitchen. Holidays are usually a good time to do this, when school is not in session.

5. Change your friends. If your friends are making you spend too much money, stop hanging out with them. Friends come and friends go, you will be alright. Don’t finish your money trying to please people or fit in.

6. Always pay your bills. Don’t overlook or skip any bill. That €20 bill you ignore this month, can become a €5000 debt. For every month you don’t pay a bill, you have to pay more the next month. This can finish your savings if you’re not careful. Pay your bills and pay on time.

7. Don’t start a business until you’re ready. Yes, some students start thinking of how to start a business or buy a property back home. They quickly start sending money to Nigeria. The business crumbles because the people they trusted with it, did not handle it well. Sometimes they get scammed. Also beware of Nigerians in Germany who want to introduce you to a business. Including your pastor. They can scam you.

8. Have a Nigerian bank account and save money there. Before you leave Nigeria, keep your bank account active and make sure you get online banking to monitor your account. Also get a debit card from your bank so you can use it to withdraw money in Germany. When you get your salary, send some money to your Nigerian account.

There was a time when 1 Euro was 200 naira. Then it became 600 naira. People who save money in their Nigerian account gained from it. Don’t touch the money in your Nigerian account. Only use your debit card in case of serious emergency. The money in your Nigerian account will also save you when you visit Nigeria.

9. Like Jay-z would say “If you can’t pay for it twice, you can’t afford it”. Don’t buy expensive things. Germany does not care about your fashion or luxury. Buy most of your clothes in Nigeria and bring them here. Of course there’s better quality in Germany but it’s cheaper in Nigeria. A nice jeans from Nigeria can last up to 3 years.
Also don’t rush to buy a car. You don’t need it. Germany has good transport system and even rich Germans use trains and bikes.

10. Learn some handwork. There are students who can do dreadlocks, play musical instruments, make clothes and other things. Do it beside your regular job and make some money. In my office there’s a girl from Kenya who makes clothes as well. She’s a student. She made some masks for Corona and sold it in the office. My colleagues bought from her and the masks were beautifully made.

11. Your money is your money. You worked hard for it and you can do what you want with it. Don’t let greedy family in Nigeria make you feel guilty or put pressure on you. I know students who send all their money to their parents and sibling. The siblings are also working but they believe money made in Germany is better. Be careful with them.

12. Calculate all your bills first. The best way I saved money was setting aside money for my bills. I always save money for all my bills for the next 6 months. Like rent, food, insurance, gym, WiFi, phone, if I have enough money to pay those for the next 6 months, I know I’m covered. I can save the rest.

You will not always have a job. Just make sure your bills will be paid, so you won’t panic when the time comes. I know some guys who could not afford rent for the next month and they did things out of panic, to get the money. Things like sex with other men. Some of them regretted it after.

13. Don’t cheat the system. Don’t make money on the side and be paying into your German bank account. If money is coming into your account and there’s no record of tax, you can be in trouble. Also don’t do illegal things like selling drugs. It can get you deported.

14. Avoid fines. Buy a ticket for the train and do the right thing. You can risk it if you want but if they catch you, you’ll pay €60 fine when you could have just bought a ticket of €2,80 and saved yourself the trouble.

15. Lastly, spend your money and enjoy yourself. Don’t just save and save without enjoying your hard work. When you die, people who don’t know how you suffered for the money, will be the ones to spend it. Yes, students die too.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by olutosyne: 1:07pm On Jun 15, 2021
Firerising:

Please I need more guidelines on applying for visa in Germany
Good afternoon,
Pls I will like to know when winter admission for 2021 will likely start
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by TonyySS: 8:29am On Jun 19, 2021
olutosyne:

Good afternoon,
Pls I will like to know when winter admission for 2021 will likely start

Likely start? Something that is about to end.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ModelLook(m): 11:52pm On Jun 19, 2021
Please I need Tution Free Universities in Germany to study Adult Nursing (Pre Registration). Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Kukull: 9:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
student visa. I heard it's possible, but I doubt. Reason being that you are a student and you have to take care of yourself and your spouse. It will cost a lot more. My advice would be to travel first, study, learn the language and get a good paying job. By then you wouldn't have problems bringing your spouse or kid over. Your spouse could start learning German now, so finding job won't be hard by then

Please can i come to Germany through language course/ apply for language course, but right now am in Ukraine and when is the right time for me to apply
[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (118) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.