Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,017 members, 7,821,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (443069 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Ndyoo(m): 9:20am On Apr 23, 2019
Have any of you tried to send foodstuffs like dry leaves or fish, okporoko and Co from Naija? How much does it cost? Don't tell me to go to African store abeg, I don't know what they sell their, that whenever you cook with it, it tastes horrible.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by tsmith1(m): 10:20am On Apr 23, 2019
IAmPhiL:

although i´ve not been to all parts of Bayern, i´ve met virtually everyone from all the regions here. cos of where i work of course.

Bavarians are fun, cultural and strong. most of their women are indpendent, old ones never tire...the landlady of a colleague is 88, this woman still does chores and voluntarily does their laundry.

Thanks for this info, boss.

do you have an idea about the life in Bayreuth?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by honourableseyi: 2:24pm On Apr 23, 2019
Ndyoo:
Have any of you tried to send foodstuffs like dry leaves or fish, okporoko and Co from Naija? How much does it cost? Don't tell me to go to African store abeg, I don't know what they sell their, that whenever you cook with it, it tastes horrible.

There is a company in Lagos that does that. It will be brought to your doorstep by DPD. It is not entirely cheap though but it is better, faster and reliable. Shalom

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 3:51pm On Apr 23, 2019
Bloodeagle:

You people are really trying... If I leave Nigeria, there's no Nigerian food I think I'll miss.
My favorite food are beans, rice and sweet potatoes. I hope they are abundant and billig (cheap) in deutschland

We are together in this......I won't miss any naija food.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Philfit(m): 5:01pm On Apr 23, 2019
erny11:

We are together in this......I won't miss any naija food.
Na so una go talk. when you end up eating only Burgers, chicken, salad, steak, yogurt, pizza and all them orishishi no one would have to tell you that you miss jollof rice, ojuelegba amala, isi ewu and nkwobi, abacha, porridge beans.... white rice and stew no dey common sef grin grin grin grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by khattab008: 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2019
Philfit:

Na so una go talk. when you end up eating only Burgers, chicken, salad, steak, yogurt, pizza and all them orishishi no one would have to tell you that you miss jollof rice, ojuelegba amala, isi ewu and nkwobi, abacha, porridge beans.... white rice and stew no dey common sef grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IAmPhiL(m): 6:14pm On Apr 23, 2019
tsmith1:

Thanks for this info, boss.

do you have an idea about the life in Bayreuth?

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by tsmith1(m): 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2019
IAmPhiL:

ich weiß nicht
In Ordnung, danke dir!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 10:19pm On Apr 23, 2019
Philfit:

Lol.....where prob fit dey na when rice and stew or beans no dey. As per other naija food, no be today we dn dey do without them.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Philfit(m): 11:27pm On Apr 23, 2019
Bloodeagle:

What!!!
Please don't say that again before I change my mind on going to deutschland.

White rice and stew
Jellof rice
Beans I can't go a day without those....

Just kill me

erny11:

Lol.....where prob fit dey na when rice and stew or beans no dey. As per other naija food, no be today we dn dey do without them.

Tomato stew isint common there, i think only in Italy grin. there are naija restaurants oh ( which would be costly for sure) but its easier to get the foods i mentioned eg fast food dem , than the real food and going for the real food means restaurants which is money. even then na onyibo poridge and weird weird meals wey you never get experience you will be seeing. Some of us can like it sha but me im a core naija boy cool cool. it is smarter and better to cook your food, so pack a lot of foodstuff from home , if you cant cook be good friends with one of our Nigerian queens wink. Na my friend for Deutchland wey advise me
PS: chinese restaurants are also nice but it costs more in the long run

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:06am On Apr 24, 2019
Our NL people in DE should come and tell us more about Germany...

Like the career aspect,,, like d lucrative academic program one can study over there...

Tell us more about schooling and working..
Like those of us hu studied Art related courses in our undergraduate degree,, how we go take migrate to STEM related course 4 Msc program abi we go nack another four years Bsc in DE?

Job opportunities?

Acquiring permanent residency/ citizenship? How possible is it?

Language barrier? Some of us don enroll 4 German language tutorial here in Naija combining it with some online apps! How can we attain fluency?

What about German ladies? How do dey relate with Africans guys? Do dey have dis impression that all African guys are scammers?

Tourist destination nko? Person no go just go dere dey Jack all the time. Flexing go boorku.

Make I stop here 4 d main time

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 5:49am On Apr 24, 2019
Hey guys!

Did anyone miss me ?
I've literally been thrown into assignments and term papers.

My trip was all good until I got to Berlin, however, my nairaland friends made it easy to navigate, it's been quite smooth since.

Made really good friends, tried the food (gave up on it, decided make mine) grin the people are friendly but reserved, so it's easy to mistake that for racism.

NB: If you see "TU ILMENAU" and love their "easy" application process, you might want to know that while the program sounds and looks like the jackpot, it is actually designed for people really interested in "academia" this is not a case of "she has gone and doesn't want others to do same" far from that.

Mystique20 Danke für das Update smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 9:56am On Apr 24, 2019
Lübeck smiley

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 12:57pm On Apr 24, 2019
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
Our NL people in DE should come and tell us more about Germany...

Like the career aspect,,, like d lucrative academic program one can study over there...

Tell us more about schooling and working..
Like those of us hu studied Art related courses in our undergraduate degree,, how we go take migrate to STEM related course 4 Msc program abi we go nack another four years Bsc in DE?

Job opportunities?

Acquiring permanent residency/ citizenship? How possible is it?

Language barrier? Some of us don enroll 4 German language tutorial here in Naija combining it with some online apps! How can we attain fluency?

What about German ladies? How do dey relate with Africans guys? Do dey have dis impression that all African guys are scammers?

Tourist destination nko? Person no go just go dere dey Jack all the time. Flexing go boorku.

Make I stop here 4 d main time

I’ll try to answer from my perspective as much as I can. Been in Germany for over roughly a year. I currently live in Munich and attend TUM. While STEM is currently in high demand, I think it would be wrong to assume that the only way to make it in Germany is through STEM.

Sure, they’re heavily concentrated on STEM programs, but what they’re also trying to do is incorporate a bit of stem into the arts, humanities and business. So you have programs like “International Business Management and Technology” “Sustainable Business and Technology” and things like that.

I currently study Management and Technology at TUM and now work for a marketing research company. Luckily for me, I work in an international environment so learning the language isn’t compulsory. But I would advise that for integration into the society and to widen your employment opportunities, learn the language. I have to take my own advise too as I’ve only learned up to A1 in my one year here. All I’m trying to say is you don’t have to have that mindset of “it’s either STEM or nothing.”

Though studying here is free, it is EXTREMELY rigid and tough because of how the grading system, especially here in Bavaria.

Combining school with work isn’t easy but when you have bills to pay you’ll surely find a way.

Can’t say too much about dating as I haven’t really ventured into that world.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:39pm On Apr 24, 2019
dobeespen:

I’ll try to answer from my perspective as much as I can. Been in Germany for over roughly a year. I currently live in Munich and attend TUM. While STEM is currently in high demand, I think it would be wrong to assume that the only way to make it in Germany is through STEM.

Sure, they’re heavily concentrated on STEM programs, but what they’re also trying to do is incorporate a bit of stem into the arts, humanities and business. So you have programs like “International Business Management and Technology” “Sustainable Business and Technology” and things like that.

I currently study Management and Technology at TUM and now work for a marketing research company. Luckily for me, I work in an international environment so learning the language isn’t compulsory. But I would advise that for integration into the society and to widen your employment opportunities, learn the language. I have to take my own advise too as I’ve only learned up to A1 in my one year here. All I’m trying to say is you don’t have to have that mindset of “it’s either STEM or nothing.”

Though studying here is free, it is EXTREMELY rigid and tough because of how the grading system, especially here in Bavaria.

Combining school with work isn’t easy but when you have bills to pay you’ll surely find a way.

Thanks bro!! It's always cool and nice to hear from you guys.
Will also appreciate it if you give us your perspective regarding minimum wage in Germany? If dey have something like that. What about their health insurance/care?... Dey say health is wealth u know!

Talking about d student's social life especially to those who're residing inside school?
Is it d same thing with Nigerian University hostel where those religious freeks will be buzzing your ear with loud speaker and microphone cox of morning devotion?

Will appreciate it if you tell us about d route to permanent residency or citizenship?

Very much interested in learning German culture and history.... Do dey have stuff like memorial or monuments in respect to their historical figures? Even tourist attraction!

Thanks in anticipation!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ladyb4sure(f): 3:03pm On Apr 24, 2019
dobeespen:

You must be a very disciplined man for not venturing into dating a whole year. Some naija guys never get admission sef all they think is how to marry oyibo for papers lol grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mayorgbasky(m): 4:50pm On Apr 24, 2019
honourableseyi:

There is a company in Lagos that does that. It will be brought to your doorstep by DPD. It is not entirely cheap though but it is better, faster and reliable. Shalom

What is the company name so that we can start building the relationship from naija here before we come over. I dont mind becoming an agent too

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mayorgbasky(m): 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2019
Deutschland be ready for me, but the food issue go be problem ooo, Because me no dey play with Yellow garri and Mix Ogbono, vegetable and Okro soup.
Abeg I want to be distributor of naija food to make life easier for wey people.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Hadampson(m): 6:20pm On Apr 24, 2019
ladyb4sure:

You must be a very disciplined man for not venturing into dating a whole year. Some naija guys never get admission sef all they think is how to marry oyibo for papers lol grin

You can't blame them.

If they have the money, they won't want to do that smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 7:06pm On Apr 24, 2019
Nne I'm a sisi like you oh. lol.

ladyb4sure:

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ladyb4sure(f): 8:10pm On Apr 24, 2019
dobeespen:
Nne I'm a sisi like you oh. lol.

no wonder, if na them brothers them for don test different soup tire grin grin

I beg shine your eyes before dating ooo most of them naija brothers already have wives down here, verify them wella cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 9:12pm On Apr 24, 2019
ladyb4sure:
no wonder, if na them brothers them for don test different soup tire grin grin

I beg shine your eyes before dating ooo most of them naija brothers already have wives down here, verify them wella cheesy

Hehehe....
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by hadassaheke(f): 6:44am On Apr 25, 2019
Eldeee:
Guten Abend zusammen. Please just like we earlier said, we will be glad to see this thread back to life, and in doing so, I am going to be calling out our wonderful veterans batch by batch. So please don't get offended if you see your name mentioned.

Kindly avail us the opportunity to hear from you by sharing some wonderful tips and experience you have gotten so far in deutschland. We are doing this with the sole aim of reviving this thread and make it more resourceful and impacting.
Hey everyone! Been a bit..

I moved to Germany as a graduate student in Applied and Engineering Physics at the TUM in 2017 and I can only give some tips based on my own experience.

1. Studying in Germany is pretty hands on, as there is no hand holding. And in terms of studying and getting a good grade, you are basically the architect of your life here, unlike what is obtainable in the US, Canada and other north American universities, there are no assignments that count towards the final grade as only the exams determine whether you'll pass or not.

2. Choose what you can study. A lot of us get carried away by the badass and enticing name of a program and get stuck at the end or even drop out because of not being able to pass the requisite courses.
As someone rightly mentioned earlier, though studying in Germany is free, studies here is rigid and a tad bit tough given the poor system of education in Nigeria and all. You have to pass at least 30CP at the end of your 3rd semester or risk being dematriculated, and although this may sound pretty easy, the truth is that it isn't. This isn't to say that it isn't doable, just find something that really interest you and you'll be fine.
There were instances of students who were dematriculated in their final semester because they couldn't pass one compulsory course. And a lot of students are suffering this (a lot are doing well too).
No go do pass yourself!

3. I know that a good number of us are making plans of studying in Germany because of the opportunity to work while studying, which I know is important but living a well balanced life would go a long way in helping. Apply for work student positions in companies or Hiwi positions with some professor's in your department, and do not limit yourself to just doing the 'larger jobs' (menial jobs).
Not until I got a research position as an intern, did I fully understand and appreciate the things that were taught in class, including the topics I struggled with, because I was only cramming with no knowledge of how it worked.
The school's notice board and professor's website are good places to check out student positions and a number of other opportunities. I am currently in Canada as a research assistant, because I was lucky to come across an opportunity which was advertised on my department's notice board. I applied and got selected to work in collaboration with a university and a nano tech company in Canada.
Several schools have several collaborations with research institutes, universities within and outside Europe and companies. Make use of these opportunities!

4. For those that may have a condition attached to their admission letter, that requires they pass a certain course (usually taught in German) after one year or taking some bachelor degree courses in order to top up, my dear brothers and sisters, if you can, please avoid taking up such admission offers. The bachelor degree program isn't what it seems, and having to combine taking those conditional courses and your required courses ain't no walk in the park.
I had a conditional which was taught in German and which I needed to pass at the end of the end of the semester. It took extra hardwork, Grace of God and several emails to get the professor to give the exam in English and in German. It wasn't easy for me, as I had to study on me own, given that I couldn't attend the class which was taught in German.
I also know people that were dematriculated due to their inability to pass the course and they had to go through the stress of applying for another course or risk leaving the country after being dematriculated.
Wisdom is profitable to direct!

5. The importance of learning the language cannot be over emphasized. Learn it!
Develop a thick skin. You'll meet people that'll be friendly and those who'll treat you like being black is a crime, but hold your head up and focus! I had an experience with a professor during an oral exam, who said that I sounded and talked like I was smart, but lacked the requisite background knowledge. The words hurt me, but it didn't stop me from moving forward, but rather I tried to become better.
Try volunteering and taking up leadership positions when the opportunity presents itself. It definitely would be helpful. Make use of your access to as many European countries as your visa will permit.

6. As for social life, I don't think that I am qualified to give any advise in that area. Our bosses will do justice to that.
Make friends as much as you can, because it can be really boring and they could be helpful in terms of studying and getting to know about opportunities for students. I was constantly visiting one person when I first arrived as a way to cure boredom. Lol.
Connect with other Nigerians in the city who'll guide you accordingly. You definitely do not want to get stranded or miss a train on your first day here. That experience can be very traumatizing.

7. As for food, there are African shops here, albeit expensive (which is expected) so you'll be fine in that aspect.

8. For settling down here after studies, I'll leave that to our experienced bosses to do justice to it.
These are all that I can remember. If I remember any other thing that'll be useful, I'll add them whenever I can.
Also remember that what works for A, might not work for B. God bless our endeavours!

38 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Bbinc: 7:21am On Apr 25, 2019
[quote author=hadassaheke post=77833837]

I moved to Germany as a graduate student in Applied and Engineering Physics at the TUM in 2017 and I can only give some tips based on my own experience.

2. Choose what you can study. A lot of us get carried away by the badass and enticing name of a program and get stuck at the end or even drop out because of not being able to pass the requisite courses.
As someone rightly mentioned earlier, though studying in Germany is free, studies here is rigid and a tad bit tough given the poor system of education in Nigeria and all. You have to pass at least 30CP at the end of your 3rd semester or risked being dematriculated, although this may sound pretty easy but it isn't.
There have been instances of students who have been dematriculated in their final semester because they couldn't pass one compulsory course.
No go do pass yourself!

So on point

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 8:14am On Apr 25, 2019

This is of great insight, thanks so much for sharing.
Pls how long will your research assistant job in Canada last? And is this a form of internship ie part of your study programme or a full time job?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by TheosLove: 8:41am On Apr 25, 2019
Hello Hadassaheke,

Thank you very much for your insightful post. Your contribution is highly appreciated!

Wishing you greater exploits in your academic and professional journey.

I moved to Germany as a graduate student in Applied and Engineering Physics at the TUM in 2017 and I can only give some tips based on my own experience.[/quote

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (118) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.