Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,116 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (442707 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by deleven(m): 11:11am On Apr 25, 2019
I read about Ausbildung or Studium. Do people(Nairaland members) know about this? Is not everyone that can read or study in a university.

Does anyone have idea about how Ausbildung works?
Would you mind enlightening us?

Danke im voraus
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dobeespen: 12:09pm On Apr 25, 2019
deleven:
I read about Ausbildung or Studium. Do people(Nairaland members) know about this? Is not everyone that can read or study in a university.

Does anyone have idea about how Ausbildung works?
Would you mind enlightening us?

Danke im voraus

I think most vocational programs are taught in German so you would need significant knowledge of German for that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by deleven(m): 3:24pm On Apr 25, 2019
dobeespen:

I think most vocational programs are taught in German so you would need significant knowledge of German for that.

Okay, thank you for the insight
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Raheembisi: 8:08pm On Apr 25, 2019
hadassaheke:

Hey everyone! Been a bit..

I moved to Germany as a graduate student in Applied and Engineering Physics at the TUM in 2017 and I can only give some tips based on my own experience.

1. Studying in Germany is pretty hands on, as there is no hand holding. And in terms of studying and getting a good grade, you are basically the architect of your life here, unlike what is obtainable in the US, Canada and other north American universities, there are no assignments that count towards the final grade as only the exams determine whether you'll pass or not.

2. Choose what you can study. A lot of us get carried away by the badass and enticing name of a program and get stuck at the end or even drop out because of not being able to pass the requisite courses.
As someone rightly mentioned earlier, though studying in Germany is free, studies here is rigid and a tad bit tough given the poor system of education in Nigeria and all. You have to pass at least 30CP at the end of your 3rd semester or risk being dematriculated, and although this may sound pretty easy, the truth is that it isn't. This isn't to say that it isn't doable, just find something that really interest you and you'll be fine.
There were instances of students who were dematriculated in their final semester because they couldn't pass one compulsory course. And a lot of students are suffering this (and a lot are doing well too).
No go do pass yourself!

3. I know that a good number of us are making plans of studying in Germany because of the opportunity to work while studying, which I know is important but living a well balanced life would go a long way in helping. Apply for work student positions in companies or Hiwi positions with some professor's in your department, and do not limit yourself to just doing the 'larger jobs' (menial jobs).
Not until I got a research position as an intern, did I fully understand and appreciate the things that were taught in class, including the topics I struggled with, because I was only cramming with no knowledge of how it worked.
The school's notice board and professor's website are good places to check out student positions and a number of other opportunities. I am currently in Canada as a research assistant, because I was lucky to come across an opportunity which was advertised on my department's notice board. I applied and got selected to work in collaboration with a university and a nano tech company in Canada.
Several schools have several collaborations with research institutes, universities within and outside Europe and companies. Make use of these opportunities!

4. For those that may have a condition attached to their admission letter, that requires they pass a certain course (usually taught in German) after one year or taking some bachelor degree courses in order to top up, my dear brothers and sisters, if you can, please avoid taking up such admission offers. The bachelor degree program isn't what it seems, and having to combine taking those conditional courses and your required courses ain't no walk in the park.
I had a conditional which was taught in German and which I needed to pass at the end of the end of the semester. It took extra hardwork, Grace of God and several emails to get the professor to give the exam in English and in German. It wasn't easy for me, as I had to study on me own, given that I couldn't attend the class which was taught in German.
I also know people that were dematriculated due to their inability to pass the course and they had to go through the stress of applying for another course or risk living the country after being dematriculated.
Wisdom is profitable to direct!

5. The importance of learning the language cannot be over emphasized. Learn it!
Develop a thick skin. You'll meet people that'll be friendly and those who'll treat you like being black is a crime, but hold your head up and focus! I had an experience with a professor during an oral exam, who said that I sounded and talked like I was smart, but lacked the requisite background knowledge. The words hurt me, but it didn't stop me from moving forward, but rather I tried to become better.
Try volunteering and taking up leadership positions when the opportunity presents itself. It definitely would be helpful. Make use of your access to as many European countries as your visa will permit.

6. As for social life, I don't think I'm qualified to give any advise in that area, our bosses will do that.
Make friends as much as you can, because it can be really boring and they could be helpful in terms of studying and getting to know about opportunities for students. I was constantly visiting one person when I first arrived as a way to cure boredom. Lol.
Connect with other Nigerians in the city who'll guide you accordingly. You definitely do not want to get stranded or miss a train on your first day here. That experience can be very traumatizing.

7. As for food, there are African shops here, albeit expensive (which is expected) so you'll be fine in that aspect.

8. For settling down here after studies, I'll leave that to our experienced bosses to do justice to it.
These are all that I can remember. If I remember any other thing that'll be useful, I'll add them whenever I can.
Also remember that what works for A, might not work for B. God bless our endeavours!

Thanks for your contribution.
I would like to ask how difficult it is to get part time jobs In life and natural science field in order to build experience and all?
I would really appreciate more contributions from people already in Germany. Especially the brutal truth so one can know what to prepare for.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Eldeee(m): 5:31am On Apr 26, 2019
hadassaheke:

I moved to Germany as a graduate student in Applied and Engineering Physics at the TUM in 2017 and I can only give some tips based on my own experience.

Thanks sis, I truly appreciate. God's grace

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 7:15am On Apr 26, 2019
hadassaheke:

1. Studying in Germany is pretty hands on, as there is no hand holding. And in terms of studying and getting a good grade, you are basically the architect of your life here, unlike what is obtainable in the US, Canada and other north American universities, there are no assignments that count towards the final grade as only the exams determine whether you'll pass or not.

Very informative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Fabcol(m): 9:26am On Apr 26, 2019
Anyone studying in fulda here or knows about the city?
Please how is the city in terms of jobs and how many years residence permit do they give to someone going for bachelor's
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Armstrong34(m): 10:22am On Apr 26, 2019
is there anyone studying in Paderborn o??...
pls how is the city in terms of students jobs o
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 2:55pm On Apr 26, 2019
Signing in on this thread finally...

Kudos to everyone who played a part in its resuscitation; the aspirants who had to draw our ogas back here, as well as the ancestors who have taken some of their time to post and update us as regards what life offers over there.

By God's grace, I'll be very much available to learn, as well as contribute the little I know so far until our prayers are finally answered, then I can contribute full scale.

Nairaland has been a place of encouragement for me, back from all the times I wrote jamb and all, and I'm sure this journey won't be different.

Cheers to everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2019
klexycole:

Lastly, we can still bring this thread back to its formal glory. Newly landed Nigerian students in DE should endeavor to share their landing stories and life in Germany (their state) generally.

Chrizwaso
Deutscheman
Odubannamdi
Waledora
Mystique
Fabcol

And others.

Present Sir. Very much available now
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 2:57pm On Apr 26, 2019
Eldeee:
The moderators have instructed we maintain this thread as they don't want duplication of threads. Please guys let's get this thread back to life. No more wishing and hoping this time. If I call you out, just don't see it as an offense, but as a call to duty. Let's all install discipline and get the thread of our dreams

This are my humble suggestions brethren
* Never are we going to entertain application, school, visa related questions here. Please deutschmann, fabcol, chriswazo, philfit, badmus, bl3d, demigodzeus, aodiba, henriq, ichbinbrait, justcare, klexycole, etc help us by avoid answering such questions here. Anyone that want such answers should go to the main students thread.

Thank you so much Eldee. God bless your efforts kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 3:11pm On Apr 26, 2019
Deustchemann:

Present Sir. Very much available now

Welcome back Sir

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 4:54pm On Apr 26, 2019
Eldeee:
The moderators have instructed we maintain this thread as they don't want duplication of threads. Please guys let's get this thread back to life. No more wishing and hoping this time. If I call you out, just don't see it as an offense, but as a call to duty. Let's all install discipline and get the thread of our dreams

This are my humble suggestions brethren
* Never are we going to entertain application, school, visa related questions here. Please deutschmann, fabcol, chriswazo, philfit, badmus, bl3d, demigodzeus, aodiba, henriq, ichbinbrait, justcare, klexycole, etc help us by avoid answering such questions here. Anyone that want such answers should go to the main students thread.

* Anyone asking such questions here should be vehemently attacked by a good number of people so as to serve as a deterrent to others, and to send a warning signal to wanable defaulters and desperados.

* Any questions to be entertained here should strictly be as it relates to survival tips, career tips, integration, hustling and student jobs, etc

* Please no sentiments or preferential treatment should be entertained here, let it be strictly as it pertains to the topic no matter what.

* For all those who travelled last year at least, we understand you guys have busy schedules, but at least make out time to spice up this thread with tonnes of interesting discussions based on your personal experience

* Please we should all note that experience differs according to location so please don't try to outrun someone who is telling us as e dey happen for his end.

* For our able veterans, please we need you more than ever. Come share your after school experiences, permanent resident issues, blue card, getting a job, dos and don'ts with us. We want to make this thread highly impacting and resourceful.

*Please we also need discussions about business opportunities, dating and relationships (no be illegal oooo), politics etc. So please kindly share with us.

* Please lets maintain decorum, love, unity and respect for one another.

*** Please kindly outline other possible suggestions as to how we can get this working. We need suggestions please

I believe we can make it happen if we are committed and decide to comply and adhere strictly with instructions. Thanks in all.

Thank you eldee, you have been very helpful
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Eldeee(m): 5:57pm On Apr 26, 2019
badmus306:
Thank you eldee, you have been very helpful
Danke bruder.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Eldeee(m): 5:57pm On Apr 26, 2019
Deustchemann:

Thank you so much Eldee. God bless your efforts kiss
God bless you too. Many thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Philfit(m): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2019
This year is our year IN JESUS NAME!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by dolpaz: 7:53pm On Apr 26, 2019
IchBinBrait:

......yes including other non visa related matters like pictures of restaurants, lecture halls, work places, vehicles, stadiums, social life in Germany and so on. Also the "Do's" and "Dont's" for expats living there. It will help motivate aspiring students.

Mehn, na Old members wey different wind of life don blow away go you mention so.. cheesy cheesy

I´ll try to inform them about the need to contribute to the thread.

Regards

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Deustchemann(m): 9:56pm On Apr 26, 2019
erny11:

Welcome back Sir
Thanks chief
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by IAmPhiL(m): 9:31am On Apr 27, 2019

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 6:31pm On Apr 27, 2019
And you people managed to resurrect this dead thread tongue..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 9:21pm On Apr 27, 2019
Is it possible to save like 10,000 euros every year while doing my MSc in Germany?

I really wanna save lots of money, so that even before the end of my MSc in Germany, I don get plenty money for account. I plan to overwork myself during summer holidays and save lots of money.
Education ain't my main reason of planning to go to Germany, making money is my number one reason I wanna leave this shitthole. I wanna visit home after my studies smelling money money before going back to keep hustling for more

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by erny11: 10:16pm On Apr 27, 2019
Basalt:
Is it possible to save like 10,000 euros every year while doing my MSc in Germany?

I really wanna save lots of money, so that even before the end of my MSc in Germany, I don get plenty money for account. I plan to overwork myself during summer holidays and save lots of money.
Education ain't my main reason of planning to go to Germany, making money is my number one reason I wanna leave this shitthole. I wanna visit home after my studies smelling money money before going back to keep hustling for more

Your blood dey hot oo lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by aodiba(m): 10:38pm On Apr 27, 2019
Basalt:

AH... This your dream is huge 10K in a year.... All the best Oh
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by badmus306(m): 11:02pm On Apr 27, 2019
Basalt:

I like ur dream tho always prepare for d worst so u don't get disappointed wen ur 10,000€ no show grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 11:54pm On Apr 27, 2019
badmus306:

I like ur dream tho always prepare for d worst so u don't get disappointed wen ur 10,000€ no show grin

Lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Basalt(m): 11:54pm On Apr 27, 2019
aodiba:

AH... This your dream is huge 10K in a year.... All the best Oh

Is it impossible?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 7Alexandre: 4:38am On Apr 28, 2019
Basalt:

Is it impossible?

Very unlikely...

Unlike Nigeria, the west is structured differently.

When you factor in Taxes, Rent, Feeding & other Miscellaneous expenses, you will only be left with a Meagre sum every month...

Your focused should be on graduating College & getting a Good Job, then saving €10,000/year wouldn’t be a big hurdle...

You don’t want to flunk out of school simply because you eyes are set on making money...

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (118) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.